Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
By LawgSkrak
Hey everybody, I've been away again for a while, and am looking to get caught up on my Ghostbusters trades. The last one I have is Ghostbusters 101. So what do I need to get in order to get all caught up? If you can let me know in the chronological order they take place in-universe, that would be cool.

Also, any one-shots that may not have been collected in a trade, I'm interested in those as well. Thanks. 😊
LawgSkrak wrote: December 9th, 2019, 1:09 pm Hey everybody, I've been away again for a while, and am looking to get caught up on my Ghostbusters trades. The last one I have is Ghostbusters 101. So what do I need to get in order to get all caught up? If you can let me know in the chronological order they take place in-universe, that would be cool.

Also, any one-shots that may not have been collected in a trade, I'm interested in those as well. Thanks. 😊
TMNT/Ghostbusters Volume 2, Ghostbusters Crossing Over, Ghostbusters 35th Anniversary Collection. I don't know off hand is there is a IDW 20/20 trade yet, that one would have the Sanctum of Slime one shot. The next one to release is the Transformers/Ghostbusters trade on February 26.
LawgSkrak wrote: December 9th, 2019, 3:54 pm Cool, thanks. Is the 20/20 thing a miniseries?
Yes. But a miniseries of stand alone one shots celebrating IDW's 20th anniversary. So the Ghostbusters one starred the Sanctum of Slime Ghostbusters back home in their own dimension. The TMNT had their own I think. Star Trek I think.

EDIT: And here we go, Year One #1 was pushed back a week to January 22.
LawgSkrak liked this
By TB3
I love everything IDW have done with our guys and gals in grey (and black, and navy), and really stoked to see both how Year One unfolds and how they tie into Afterlife. As long as we don't get a DC-Crisis retcon/retgone of the IDW timeline, I'm so on board with what 2020 holds for Ghostbusters! :)
By robbritton
mrmichaelt wrote: December 9th, 2019, 3:59 pm
LawgSkrak wrote: December 9th, 2019, 3:54 pm Cool, thanks. Is the 20/20 thing a miniseries?
Yes. But a miniseries of stand alone one shots celebrating IDW's 20th anniversary. So the Ghostbusters one starred the Sanctum of Slime Ghostbusters back home in their own dimension. The TMNT had their own I think. Star Trek I think.

EDIT: And here we go, Year One #1 was pushed back a week to January 22.
Diamond Distribution seeing in the new decade in their own inimitable style, there.
mrmichaelt, Kingpin liked this
TB3 wrote: December 10th, 2019, 10:14 am I love everything IDW have done with our guys and gals in grey (and black, and navy), and really stoked to see both how Year One unfolds and how they tie into Afterlife. As long as we don't get a DC-Crisis retcon/retgone of the IDW timeline, I'm so on board with what 2020 holds for Ghostbusters! :)
I don't think anything's going to be retconned; The 1984 movie continuity (GB1, GB2 & GB:TVG) and IDW continuity are two separate things and once Afterlife comes out in July (which is set in 84 Movie Canon), Erik and crew may pretty much implement parts or all of those elements of lore (depending on what's revealed) from that film much like with GB: TVG and any other GB content (RGB, EGB, SOS, etc.) and put a new twist on it in the IDW canon.

I can't wait to see what Afterlife will bring to the GB lore, overall. ^_^
Last edited by *NormalGamer* on December 10th, 2019, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrmichaelt, robbritton liked this
By TB3
Definately onboard with IDW implementing new lore, as they've done with other iterations of the franchise (making the comics I guess like the GB equivilent to the Marvel-Ultimate stories).

And if Afterlife is going to make it canon that Egon had a daughter and grandchildren, then that might finally (circumstances depending on who he actually sired a child with) give the IDW team leeway to take his and Janine's relationship beyond the status-quo holding pattern they've been in for years.
Last edited by TB3 on December 11th, 2019, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrmichaelt, Kingpin liked this
By Sayscalled
I can accept that the IDW comics are continuing canon from 1984 to GB 2 to Afterlife.

If we assume that the IDW storylines take place on an ambiguous sliding time scale from 1991 to the early 2000s (at least), and we also assume that Egon the character passed away around the same year Mr. Ramis did (2014), then the events of Afterlife wouldn't break continuity.

As long as the IDW stories don't focus on specific dates/times, a story could be anywhere within that timeframe.

The first Interdimensional crossover happened in one side's 1987 and the other's 1990-something. Egon's explanation of alternate timelines in Crossing Over should back this up.
Oh in my mind all things are canon. Like I have said a million times even with the line From the Afterlife trailer states that there hadn't been a Ghost sighting for 30 years it doesn't effect how I enjoy the comics that are supposed to be set in the Prime timeline. The wiki link for The Ghostbusters ongoing comic gives a nice break down of what is believed to be the comic timeline in its 9 years of running. I talked to Dan Schoening about it at the fan fest and he said that there really wasn't a set timeline that the stories in the comic actually take place. So to me that kind of means that the Prime Ghostbusters are just frozen in the time we are all familiar with. That totally works for me.

I am really excited at the wonderful things that can follow the potential success of Afterlife. I would be totally on board with Afterlife being the last live action film that ever comes from the franchise. I get a real swan song feel from the trailer and I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

I am hoping that the film is so good that it secures a good reason for IDW to continue telling more stories in comic form. Weather that take the form of the ongoing series continuing or more series of one shots or spin off comic series featuring the other teams of Ghostbusters, i.e. The Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters, Chicago Branch, SOS Team, and so on. Of course seeing that Ecto Force tv series and animated feature getting the Greenlight would be awesome. :):):)

Personally now that we have seen that gunner chair in action I am looking forward to Erik and Dan putting implementing it into the IDW comic. Just one more thing for them to play with in this world. :):):)
By Sayscalled
philmorgan81 wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:34 pm Oh in my mind all things are canon. Like I have said a million times even with the line From the Afterlife trailer states that there hadn't been a Ghost sighting for 30 years it doesn't effect how I enjoy the comics that are supposed to be set in the Prime timeline. The wiki link for The Ghostbusters ongoing comic gives a nice break down of what is believed to be the comic timeline in its 9 years of running. I talked to Dan Schoening about it at the fan fest and he said that there really wasn't a set timeline that the stories in the comic actually take place. So to me that kind of means that the Prime Ghostbusters are just frozen in the time we are all familiar with. That totally works for me.

I am really excited at the wonderful things that can follow the potential success of Afterlife. I would be totally on board with Afterlife being the last live action film that ever comes from the franchise. I get a real swan song feel from the trailer and I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

I am hoping that the film is so good that it secures a good reason for IDW to continue telling more stories in comic form. Weather that take the form of the ongoing series continuing or more series of one shots or spin off comic series featuring the other teams of Ghostbusters, i.e. The Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters, Chicago Branch, SOS Team, and so on. Of course seeing that Ecto Force tv series and animated feature getting the Greenlight would be awesome. :):):)

Personally now that we have seen that gunner chair in action I am looking forward to Erik and Dan putting implementing it into the IDW comic. Just one more thing for them to play with in this world. :):):)
The 'no-ghost-sighting' quote wouldn't break the canon, because 1989 was when GB 2 happened. 1989-2019 is 30 years.
*NormalGamer* liked this
Sayscalled wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:39 pm
philmorgan81 wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:34 pm Oh in my mind all things are canon. Like I have said a million times even with the line From the Afterlife trailer states that there hadn't been a Ghost sighting for 30 years it doesn't effect how I enjoy the comics that are supposed to be set in the Prime timeline. The wiki link for The Ghostbusters ongoing comic gives a nice break down of what is believed to be the comic timeline in its 9 years of running. I talked to Dan Schoening about it at the fan fest and he said that there really wasn't a set timeline that the stories in the comic actually take place. So to me that kind of means that the Prime Ghostbusters are just frozen in the time we are all familiar with. That totally works for me.

The 'no-ghost-sighting' quote wouldn't break the canon, because 1989 was when GB 2 happened. 1989-2019 is 30 years.

Oh yeah the Canon of the films is perfectly preserved. It's the little bonus stories that MAY be called into question like the 2009 video game or the IDW comic. :):):)
*NormalGamer* liked this
By mrmichaelt
philmorgan81 wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:34 pm The wiki link for The Ghostbusters ongoing comic gives a nice break down of what is believed to be the comic timeline in its 9 years of running. I talked to Dan Schoening about it at the fan fest and he said that there really wasn't a set timeline that the stories in the comic actually take place. So to me that kind of means that the Prime Ghostbusters are just frozen in the time we are all familiar with. That totally works for me.
Yeah, just to reiterate the IDW timeline. Erik's stance is it's like the Peanuts with no set timeline and "frozen" post events of The Video Game. For the wiki, for the sake of being able to organize the data and make sense of things, I unofficially created a set timeline. Because time is...no, I'm not gonna digress into science lesson. So I have the current present pegged at 1998. But unofficially.

We have to wait and see what happens. I mean conveniently, the comic is shifted back to the 80s until at least April 2020. lol. So if Afterlife has a big effect on the IDW comics, we'll take it in stride. Erik, Tom, Dan, Luis, and everyone who's contributed to the canon has been near flawless with handling the canon and expanding on it to give us the unending adventure we always wanted, imo. Or it could be a small effect, like the addition of the gunner seat. :D I mean, somehow, some way, somehow, we'll be reading about original side stories set in 1984. That's feels like the tip of the iceberg of good things to come for the comics next year.
Well said Mrmichaelt. I think you are right that those side stories coming out are just the tip of the iceberg. No matter what comes next for the comic with the introduction of Afterlife in the grander world of Ghostbusters I am sure Dan, Erik and Tom will just continue having fun with what Ghost Corps allows them to work with. :):):)
By groschopf
Ever since seeing the Afterlife trailer, I have to wonder if the Year One IDW series will answer a new question I have: did the Ghostbusters have to retrap escaped spirits and rebuild right after the events of the 1984? If so, how long were they active before getting shut down by lawsuits?

I always just assumed the defeated Gozer, and bureaucracy defeated them shortly thereafter. Perhaps they stayed open until shortly before the events of the second film kick off. Court cases that big can take some time to wind through the court system. Deleted scenes of the old firehouse sign crashing down would dispute that, but we never saw that in film form, leaving it an open question.

I can't help but speculate since Paul Rudd spoke of the '80s as being akin to the Walking Dead, even though he really could just mean two short spurts of activity prior to their climatic encounters.

I'd still love to see overworked Ghostbusters recapturing entities, storing them in a temporary containment unit in an abandoned Sunoco station across the state line in Jersey, and eventually transferring everything to the newer, larger containment unit.
By mrmichaelt
groschopf wrote: December 10th, 2019, 8:25 pm Ever since seeing the Afterlife trailer, I have to wonder if the Year One IDW series will answer a new question I have: did the Ghostbusters have to retrap escaped spirits and rebuild right after the events of the 1984? If so, how long were they active before getting shut down by lawsuits?

I always just assumed the defeated Gozer, and bureaucracy defeated them shortly thereafter. Perhaps they stayed open until shortly before the events of the second film kick off. Court cases that big can take some time to wind through the court system. Deleted scenes of the old firehouse sign crashing down would dispute that, but we never saw that in film form, leaving it an open question.

I can't help but speculate since Paul Rudd spoke of the '80s as being akin to the Walking Dead, even though he really could just mean two short spurts of activity prior to their climatic encounters.

I'd still love to see overworked Ghostbusters recapturing entities, storing them in a temporary containment unit in an abandoned Sunoco station across the state line in Jersey, and eventually transferring everything to the newer, larger containment unit.
Implicitly, until Erik writes his own take into the IDW canon, TVG already implicitly revealed they were active till around 1986 at least.* But yeah, I'm also interested to see when these interviews take place, right after in 1984 or in 1985 etc.

Court cases that big can take some time to wind through the court system.
Yep.

*For the uninitiated:
In Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Realistic Versions), after Ray Stantz and the Rookie find a slimed Peter Venkman in the Sedgewick Hotel, Stantz notes there can't be more ghosts because they gave a clean bill of health for the Sedgewick five years ago. Since the story takes place in 1991, the year 1986 is derived by subtracting 5 years from 1991.

Ghostbusters II begins with "5 Years Later" but that is interpreted as "five years after the events of Ghostbusters" and in the courtroom scene, Peter Venkman says, "its been years since they used the packs." There is never a concrete mention of exactly when the Ghostbusters were served the order.
By robbritton
As I said in the movie thread, the beauty of the IDW GB timeline is that it is canon proof. The second anything contradicts it, it’s just an alternate dimension the main series can riff on.

People complain about the crossovers, but the first TMNT one has allowed for so much story leeway I’ll forever be grateful to it.

Also, it’s the one area of the fandom that truly welcomes you whichever version of Ghostbusters is your favourite, and holds them all as equally valid. Imagine any other franchise taking a thirty year old NES game into its canon without breaking the innate reality! IDW GB really is an incredible thing. Honestly, I think it might be my absolute favourite version of Ghostbusters.
By mrmichaelt
robbritton wrote: December 11th, 2019, 3:43 am As I said in the movie thread, the beauty of the IDW GB timeline is that it is canon proof. The second anything contradicts it, it’s just an alternate dimension the main series can riff on.

People complain about the crossovers, but the first TMNT one has allowed for so much story leeway I’ll forever be grateful to it.

Also, it’s the one area of the fandom that truly welcomes you whichever version of Ghostbusters is your favourite, and holds them all as equally valid. Imagine any other franchise taking a thirty year old NES game into its canon without breaking the innate reality! IDW GB really is an incredible thing. Honestly, I think it might be my absolute favourite version of Ghostbusters.
The ironic thing is in the IDW canon, we've already seen two possible futures for the Ghostbusters. Once in the Past, Present, Future one-shot when they fight Gozer with a new Destructor form and during Mass Hysteria when they met their older selves in the stairwell of Dana's apartment. So we're already there in way. Even with Dimension 50-S as well. Heh.
Kingpin wrote: December 11th, 2019, 9:03 am ...A great big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey... Stuff.
Don't get all technical on me. :P
By mrmichaelt
March solicits are out.
Year One #3 set for March 18.
https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/JAN200778
It's PETER VENKMAN'S turn to be interviewed for the Ghostbusters biography, and he proves to be an elusive subject... until he gets to talking about the national news made by the pretty pesky poltergeist that was haunting a fashionable New York dance club! Disco may have died, but that doesn't mean it won't come back! Ghostbusters: Year One continues here!
Neat, we're going to learn about the bust at The Rose. :D

Updated with the Cover B and RI.
https://previewsworld.com/SiteImage/Cat ... 675?type=1

Coney Island, hm, which novelization referenced Peter working as a hawker... this will bug me. EDIT: No, just he was a barker at a carnival over the summer (in supernatural spectacular). Coney was Dan's addition. Wow, so many easter eggs in there. I love that if you look on the mortgage paperwork, they have $19,000 on a line. Egon said $95,000 in the first 5 years alone. So divide $95k by 5 and what do you get? heh. Also the October 22, 1984 People Weekly issue -- nod to Winston's B cover that showed that date was his first day.

Ha, RI is a nod to Batman #251.
https://previewsworld.com/SiteImage/Cat ... 673?type=1
https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Batman_Vol_1_251
By SSJmole
Questions I would have

Is this year 1 a reboot of the old ones like their version of New 52?

If it's not I know they crossed over with real extreme answer the call ect.... Logically they'll cross over with afterlife. Will it be alternate dimension like the others or will it be time travel?
philmorgan81 liked this
By robbritton
SSJmole wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 11:49 am Questions I would have

If it's not I know they crossed over with real extreme answer the call ect.... Logically they'll cross over with afterlife. Will it be alternate dimension like the others or will it be time travel?
I don’t think they’ve addressed Afterlife anywhere yet. I’d imagine (or hope) they’d carry on with their continuity and have it meet Afterlife down the line via dimensional trickery or somesuch.

Or there’ll be a new comic line that picks up after Afterlife. Then the original comics run can remain it’s own thing and the new can follow on from the new movie.
*NormalGamer* liked this
By SSJmole
robbritton wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 12:08 pm
SSJmole wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 11:49 am Questions I would have

I don’t think they’ve addressed Afterlife anywhere yet. I’d imagine (or hope) they’d carry on with their continuity and have it meet Afterlife down the line via dimensional trickery or somesuch.

Or there’ll be a new comic line that picks up after Afterlife. Then the original comics run can remain it’s own thing and the new can follow on from the new movie.
Ah cool. I wasn't sure if it be like marvel 2099 whenever it met the 616 at time was time travel , now I think it was alternate dimension due to the fact that the future doesn't line up with what happened since 2099 was created.
philmorgan81 liked this

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]