Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
Now this is a completely "what if" scenario that doesn't reflect on my current thoughts on Sony or Disney.

For those unaware, Sony bought Columbia Pictures on September 28th, 1989 (a few months after GB2) for 3.4 billion dollars. That may sound insane back then, but feels like a boring regular studio purchase in today's market. Now here's something to think about, and hear me out on this.

What if Disney/Buena Vista bought them rather than Sony?

It could seem funny given how they didn't care much, but now wanna buy EVERYTHING today. But several things might happen with this.

1. Re-releases would happen way more in both physical releases and theatrical screenings.
2. Extreme Ghostbusters would get a Season 2, and an actual complete series set.
3. Ghostbusters 3 would've happened WAY sooner than we thought for better or worse.
4. A remake would be more blandy-bland like Lion King or Pete's Dragon, but less controversial in some way.

How does this sound? I know it wouldn't happen anyway, but it's just something fun to think about.
SSJmole liked this
That would be fun but I don't think that would happen exactly.
1. Re-releases would happen way more in both physical releases and theatrical screenings.
They definitely would

2. Extreme Ghostbusters would get a Season 2, and an actual complete series set.
I don't think it would look at all the marvel shows after Disney took over. Then just ended and Disney made their own. So I could see Disney loosing the extreme and. Asking their own like "the adventures of the Ghostbusters" I could see it being based on the original movie but done animation wise like the Aladdin cartoon show

3. Ghostbusters 3 would've happened WAY sooner than we thought for better or worse.
Probably

4. A remake would be more blandy-bland like Lion King or Pete's Dragon, but less controversial in some

I will say I like the lion king remake. But the remakes are of animated films. Instead of a remake Ghostbusters get a sequel movie like the force awakens or Tron legacy , personally I'd want it to be like Tron legacy

I will add a couple

5 that would totally be a Disney ride Like the buzz lightyear one in Disney World or the men in black 1 and universal based on Ghostbusters

6 any movie made now would be written exactly like the mcu and Star wars films

7 that would totally be a Disney plus live action Ghostbusters TV show.

8 we probably would have had a sequel to the good video game the one that got remastered I mean a proper sequel not that sanctum of slime crap.

9 based on the Incredibles and Star wars getting on a LEGO Ghostbusters game would probably have been made and not just LEGO dimensions but a full game.

10 people on the internet would be asking if Janine is a Disney princess 😂

11 without Ghostbusters and only having men in black left Sony would likely sell to Disney so they can get the Spider-Man right back fully.
Honestly, if the Columbia Pictures division is going to be bought out instead of Sony Pictures, I would rather it be either Universal, Netflix or heck maybe even IDW Media Holdings themselves buy out Columbia (maybe merging it with IDW Entertainment) or maybe buy out the GB IP instead.

Otherwise, I rather not have them being bought out by Disney.
SSJmole liked this
*NormalGamer* wrote: December 11th, 2019, 3:50 pmHonestly, if the Columbia Pictures division is going to be bought out instead of Sony Pictures, I would rather it be either Universal, Netflix or heck maybe even IDW Media Holdings themselves buy out Columbia (maybe merging it with IDW Entertainment).

Otherwise, I rather not have them being bought out by Disney.
Honestly I'd rather it wasn't Disney to just because they bought fox they bought marvel they bought Star wars I feel like there's nothing left for anyone else and that's not good for the consumers as I have pretty much guaranteed will have no competition. Yeah there is still a couple like DC movies.

Honestly if I get a studio to take over it'd be Universal Pictures. But that's because I could see from them :

A new Ghostbusters movie

A a new Ghostbusters movie animated most likely illumination like they did the Grinch and minions

A Netflix cartoon based on the animated movie

New games

Theme park rides

Possibly a live action Netflix series

Also universal already has the men in black ride

Also so I feel a lot of the non Ghostbusters films would benefit from universal as their more traditional movie studio.

Universal has been trying to do their own cinematic universe and Ghostbusters and men in black just work

They could work on making it's a massive hit without worrying whether or not they're gonna hurt them marvel or Star wars cash cows.
Here is my take:
They definitely would

Possibly, Disney in the 1990's had a decent track record (as I recall) of giving their cartoons decent time slots both on Saturday Mornings on ABC and during the week on Disney Channel. At the very least Extreme Ghostbusters would have a complete series release on DVD in Region 1.

Probably, given that Disney has better business sense than Sony in most matters.
Ghostytheghost wrote: December 11th, 2019, 2:35 pm 1. Re-releases would happen way more in both physical releases and theatrical screenings.
Though we probably wouldn't see either the DVD or BluRay of Ghostbusters or Ghostbusters II enter a reasonable price stage, as it seemed Disney would have a stranglehold on just how low their home releases would drop in sticker price.
Ghostytheghost wrote: December 11th, 2019, 2:35 pm2. Extreme Ghostbusters would get a Season 2, and an actual complete series set.
That's if Extreme Ghostbusters ever actually existed in the first place. Disney would've had different ideas and priorities compared to Sony, and while they might've created their own animated spin-off after The Real Ghostbusters (which itself could've ended sooner than it actually did), they also might've left the animated arm of the Ghostbusters franchise dorment.
Ghostytheghost wrote: December 11th, 2019, 2:35 pm3. Ghostbusters 3 would've happened WAY sooner than we thought for better or worse.
That's if Disney had been able to work around the veto agreement any quicker than Sony was able to.
I forgot to mention in my previous post, if Disney had bought Columbia Pictures I could totally see them making more Ghostbusters video games. As others have said, a Lego themed video game covering both movies would incredible. Also I would hope some of the older video games like New Ghostbusters II and the 1990 Sega Genesis game would be ported to newer gaming systems like Disney and Konami did with the Ducktales video game.

Or if you bought the access pack you get them inst[…]

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]