Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
droidguy1119 wrote: December 11th, 2019, 2:15 pm
Kingpin wrote: December 11th, 2019, 1:47 pm Let us know if the one you've recently seen has been modified.
This one has the opposite problem as the others: the trailer is out and you notice how it tries to explicitly mention every beat. The guy who posted it swears he saw it prior to to the trailer, but no links are provided.
You're absolutely right -- whoever typed that up just fan-fic'ed based off of what was in the trailer. That's got all the signs of a post hoc fabrication.

I'm willing to bet the opening scene is a soft scare like moviemaker29 speculated about the hardware store. Opening with miners and a temple would be shooting the mystery wad off from the word go.

I don't care enough to pick this thing apart piece by piece. I'm pretty sure my brain will start bleeding if I have to read any of it again.

"The mom and sheriff go on a date the boy gets the car running"

PUNCTUATION, MOTHERF#CKER. DO YOU SPEAK IT?
moviemaker29, tylergfoster, Corey91 and 1 others liked this
The main thing about leaks and shit is everyone is just after the plot beats. What would make a leak believable to me is (aside from the thing you keep pointing out, all the pre-VF leaks had no character names) is an explanation of what the movie is attempting to accomplish thematically. The film will have an idea that grafts onto Ghostbusters that Jason wanted to explore as an artist, while using the franchise as a vehicle. People who write fictional leaks don't think like filmmakers.
The only reason why people are referring the new movie to stranger things (Which the most negative complaint I've come across) is because of the Kid who is on the show. I don't see any monster with a flower face, there's no kid with a nose bleed. If anything Stranger Things is heavily inspired by Ghostbusters.

In other news, the loonies are coming out from under the rocks again. I just come across a twitter tweet that shared a link to a petition to fire Jason Reitman. Even When it's a sequel to the original Ghostbusters there are those who have to moan and groan over it.
Wafflerobot, groschopf, deadderek and 1 others liked this
So whoever has the video game rights should already be well into development. I would assume they'll be building off the GtVG engine.

If this is the case does anyone think they'll be adding the og's as dlc? Would you want the kids as playable characters or just Paul Rudd?
SSJmole liked this
GBfan77 wrote: December 11th, 2019, 3:17 pm The only reason why people are referring the new movie to stranger things (Which the most negative complaint I've come across) is because of the Kid who is on the show. I don't see any monster with a flower face, there's no kid with a nose bleed. If anything Stranger Things is heavily inspired by Ghostbusters.
This comes to mind...

GBfan77 wrote: December 11th, 2019, 3:17 pm In other news, the loonies are coming out from under the rocks again. I just come across a twitter tweet that shared a link to a petition to fire Jason Reitman. Even When it's a sequel to the original Ghostbusters there are those who have to moan and groan over it.
Wow, this is why I am ignoring social media this time around. Quit giving the crazies a platform.
timeware wrote: December 11th, 2019, 3:21 pm So whoever has the video game rights should already be well into development. I would assume they'll be building off the GtVG engine.

If this is the case does anyone think they'll be adding the og's as dlc? Would you want the kids as playable characters or just Paul Rudd?
Nice I didn't know they were doing a new one.

I'd like all playable, real , extreme and 2016 too. As unlockables , like Spider-Man suits in the Spider-Man game where it takes some different things.

Is the new one fully based on the movie? I prefer it wasn't and not because of my feelings of that trailer but because games based on movies usually are not as good like compare amazing Spider-man 1+2 to marvel's Spider-Man on PS4 (more the amazing ones in a sec.)

If it's not I'd like an original game like there own take or loosely based on the comic crossover so we can see different Ghostbusters so everyone can play as their favorites

However if it is based on the movie I'd prefer they follow show the amazing Spider-Man story games where they set it after the film ma so it's an original story that take place afterwards with the same people in it. As thats like the best of both worlds it's both from movie tie in and a brand new story.

And I know I'm in the minority here my ideal one would be not using the old engine. Instead LEGO Ghostbusters let you play through all three films maybe giving somebody cartoons or comics as DLC lol seriously playing the Lego story packs on Lego dimensions was so good lol
GBfan77 wrote: December 11th, 2019, 3:17 pm In other news, the loonies are coming out from under the rocks again. I just come across a twitter tweet that shared a link to a petition to fire Jason Reitman. Even When it's a sequel to the original Ghostbusters there are those who have to moan and groan over it.
Yeah I see those same type of people posting negative articles on "entertainment news" sites. Those writers get paid per article and the sites make money from clicks so I refuse to even open them.
deadderek liked this
SSJmole wrote: December 11th, 2019, 3:34 pm
timeware wrote: December 11th, 2019, 3:21 pm So whoever has the video game rights should already be well into development. I would assume they'll be building off the GtVG engine.

I'd like all playable, real , extreme and 2016 too. As unlockables , like Spider-Man suits in the Spider-Man game where it takes some different things.

Is the new one fully based on the movie? I prefer it wasn't and not because of my feelings of that trailer but because games based on movies usually are not as good like compare amazing Spider-man 1+2 to marvel's Spider-Man on PS4 (more the amazing ones in a sec.)

If it's not I'd like an original game like there own take or loosely based on the comic crossover so we can see different Ghostbusters so everyone can play as their favorites

However if it is based on the movie I'd prefer they follow show the amazing Spider-Man story games where they set it after the film ma so it's an original story that take place afterwards with the same people in it. As thats like the best of both worlds it's both from movie tie in and a brand new story.

And I know I'm in the minority here my ideal one would be not using the old engine. Instead LEGO Ghostbusters let you play through all three films maybe giving somebody cartoons or comics as DLC lol seriously playing the Lego story packs on Lego dimensions was so good lol
There’s no game tie in announced as yet, Timeware is just speculating.

Given the relative commercial failure of every GB video game post 2009 (excluding Lego Dimensions) I cant imagine it’s a terribly high priority anymore. I’d imagine we’d get a mobile game at most.
Corey91, SSJmole, deadderek liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: December 11th, 2019, 2:15 pm
Kingpin wrote: December 11th, 2019, 1:47 pm Let us know if the one you've recently seen has been modified.
Here's the one on Facebook. It is close to unreadable, formatting/spelling-wise. I'm not gonna fix it.
This Post Contains Spoilers
This one has the opposite problem as the others: the trailer is out and you notice how it tries to explicitly mention every beat. The guy who posted it swears he saw it prior to to the trailer, but no links are provided.
It ties in perfectly with the trailer. But no mention of the OG cast at all
robbritton wrote: December 11th, 2019, 3:49 pm
SSJmole wrote: December 11th, 2019, 3:34 pm

There’s no game tie in announced as yet, Timeware is just speculating.

Given the relative commercial failure of every GB video game post 2009 (excluding Lego Dimensions) I cant imagine it’s a terribly high priority anymore. I’d imagine we’d get a mobile game at most.
To be fair didn't the 2009 game fail? I don't mean that negatively I absolutely love that game but I heard it underperformed sales wise. That might be completely wrong that's why I was asking.
deadderek liked this
SSJmole wrote: December 11th, 2019, 4:03 pm To be fair didn't the 2009 game fail? I don't mean that negatively I absolutely love that game but I heard it underperformed sales wise. That might be completely wrong that's why I was asking.
I don’t think it did triple A numbers, but I think the end financial result was respectable enough for a tie in to a 25 year old movie! However, if anyone knows differently it only makes my sad position stronger!
Last edited by robbritton on December 12th, 2019, 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
SSJmole, deadderek liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: December 11th, 2019, 4:05 pm
Adub794 wrote: December 11th, 2019, 4:01 pm It ties in perfectly with the trailer. But no mention of the OG cast at all
Yup. And of course I think it ties in perfectly because it was written afterward, based on the trailer.
I hope it was written afterward. I found that version kind of lame lol
tylergfoster liked this
robbritton wrote: December 11th, 2019, 4:07 pm
SSJmole wrote: December 11th, 2019, 4:03 pm To be fair didn't the 2009 game fail? I don't mean that negatively I absolutely love that game but I heard it underperformed sales wise. That might be completely wrong that's why I was asking.
I don’t think it did triple A numbers, but I think the end financial result was respectable enough for a movie tie in to a 25 year old movie! However, if anyone knows differently it only makes my sad position stronger!
I might be remembering this wrong and hopefully if I am people can correct me I seem to remember reading get on a list a failed video games. From what I remember critically I did great , it sold a lot of games enough for AAA numbers , the problem was they hired all the original cast back and the sheer amount of money they spent on that and other stuff meant it underperformed profit wise.

But I might be wrong and I said I love that game (favourite was the Wii version as I've mentioned for local co-op) but I had ps3 , Wii and ds and I have remastered on switch lol I just remember reading but it failed financially that's why they never consider a proper sequel.

I like that hopefully I'm completely wrong and I remember that wrong or I read false information
By RichardLess
Sav C wrote: December 11th, 2019, 12:55 pm
RichardLess wrote: December 11th, 2019, 6:27 amI'll never understand why people let a complete stranger on Twitter get to them like this.

I am so damn tired of hearing how toxic *this* fan base is. Just stop it. I guarentee this fandom isn't any more or less toxic than any other noun that brings out the tribalism in humans. Pretending Ghostbusters fans are some toxic sludge of evil is a joke. I've heard plenty of anecdotal stories of people getting some serious asshole treatment from some stranger on Twitter. Are they Ghostbusters fans? General film fans? Nazi's? We don't know. We don't. We can't even be sure if they are real human beings for Christ sake. Troll bots have become very hard to spot.

Look. I don't care if you're a Boston Celtics fan, New England Patriots fan a Toronto Maple Leafs fan, a Star Wars fan, a Star Trek fan or a god damn Care Bears fan. Fandom brings about the BEST and THE WORST in people. Ghostbusters isn't special. It all comes from the same place. ALL OF IT. Pretending that it doesn't and that somehow Ghostbusters 2016 was some new low in tribalism is naïve at best and a straight up lie at worst.

I know it'll never happen but my god can we please just end the fake shock and awe like somehow Ghostbusters fans were above all of this? And before anyone dare say I'm excusing the bad behaviour and sexist crap that went on, don't. Just...don't. Leslie Jones didn't deserve what she got. Neither did that guy that plays Finn in Star Wars. Or the girl that plays Rose in Star Wars. Or the female Doctor Who. Or the new James Bond 00 featured in a new trailer. Can you see a pattern there?

Buy your daughter or whoever was teased about being a GB16 fan some new toys and new shirt. Tell her about all the charity work Ghostbusters local groups do. Tell her about all the Ghostbusters fans who denounced the garbage tweets & racism. Tell her how exciting it is or can be to be a fan and meeting other fans who share the same love that you do.

So, please. All you fans that have anecdotal stories of bad tweets & Reddit posts, stop calling the fandom toxic, please. It's a false narrative that promotes the hate and ignores everything else.
There's a lot I disagree with in this post, most notably the way you speak of SSJmole's experience, which comes off callous (if you don't mind my honesty). I mean the poor kid sounds semi-traumatized--I don't think pointing out the charity work of some fans is going to fix that.

Also, the reaction to 2016 was bad. Really bad. I don't think it's comparable to Star Wars, Doctor Who, or Bond since it was so bad. I think people like me who mainly stuck to this forum were exposed to a much more pleasant environment than what was happening in reality, due to the efforts of Kingpin and the other mods to keep this place on the up and up. The reaction may not have been a new low, but it was pretty darn close.

However, I agree with two things. First, anecdotes, particularly the worse ones, should not be generalized to represent the fandom as a whole. That would be a hasty generalization.

Second, and this stems from the first point, is that I agree we shouldn't be calling this fandom toxic. It lacks nuance since it ignores the many positive aspects of the fanbase. It seems we're quick to exclude the middle-ground when we sum up a fandom of thousands of people with one adjective. If we want to rid this fandom of toxicity, let us make our arguments in good faith (most of us here do, most of the time, I would say), and avoid stooping to the level of the many trolls who continue to plague almost all corners of the internet.
I don't mind your honesty at all. Infact you're one of a few people on this forum who, if a line is crossed and you call it out-like me coming off as callous-I know it's true and that I was in the wrong.

My apologies for coming off as callous. Sorry. It reads that way but I didn't mean it that way. I just meant it as...you know how whenever someone brings up GB16 in a negative context all the usual suspects do that "Do we really have to do this again, can't we discuss ghostbusters without crapping on GB16?" routine? That's what it's getting to be like with the "Ghostbusters fans are toxic" stuff. Except now I'm the one going "Can we just not do this again?". So I think that's why I came off as callous. I was thinking macro instead of mirco and that's not fair to SSJMOLE and what he (or she?) endured. So I apologize.

I also didn't mean to say or suggest, as Droidguy suggested, that good negates bad, I'm saying don't forget about the good because the bad is all that gets talked about. I do believe good is more important and powerful than bad. It doesn't negate it but it maybe lessens the impact. Calling Ghostbusters fan toxic is giving into despair because everyone knows, I think they do anyways, that the vast majority of Ghostbusters fans are good people. Sure we disagree and get into heated debates but that's the fun stuff about being a fan. We can debate budgets and box office or what works and what doesn't in a trailer or film & that's what these places are partly about.
SSJmole, groschopf, Sav C and 1 others liked this
I don’t think it did triple A numbers, but I think the end financial result was respectable enough for a movie tie in to a 25 year old movie! However, if anyone knows differently it only makes my sad position stronger!
This is correct. Took about a year or so to get into the black, but in the end it was considered a success by everyone involved.
devilmanozzy wrote: December 11th, 2019, 3:29 pm
GBfan77 wrote: December 11th, 2019, 3:17 pm The only reason why people are referring the new movie to stranger things (Which the most negative complaint I've come across) is because of the Kid who is on the show. I don't see any monster with a flower face, there's no kid with a nose bleed. If anything Stranger Things is heavily inspired by Ghostbusters.
This comes to mind...

Wow, this is why I am ignoring social media this time around. Quit giving the crazies a platform.
That isn't Stranger Things.
That shot is pure E.T and Spielberg. I saw someone mention earlier that people are forgetting Stranger Things is itself a love letter to Amblin films of the '80s. But because it's popular and the most recent thing everyone is going "Stranger Things ripoff" without realizing the irony of that statement.

It shocks me they cast Finn Wolfhard. They really had to foresee this "Stranger Things" problem people are having, right? Personally I don't care. I just want a great movie. But I'm seeing quite a few complaints with the same theme: "This is a Stranger Things ripoff" "Who wants to see a Ghostbusters movie with kids as the Ghostbusters" and "Where are all the jokes?".
Corey91, Funktion liked this
If it wasn't meant that way I will say on my behalf sorry RichardLess if my reply why was too aggressive or angry. (I'm a he by the way. The girl who went through it is just related to me )

and I completely agree it's good to talk to Hans about what works and what doesn't and seeing the different viewpoints which is what I've been trying to do with my feeling on the trailer.

Like after I watched joker I spoke to my ex boyfriend who I'm still friends with for about 2-3 hours on the phone just about why that movie worked and we had a fun debate about that joker vs heath ledger joker. As we talked about how heath ledger's joker is the perfect Joker for a batman movie but that movies joker is way more layered well fleshed out and to me is a much better character and it's highly debatable whether or not it's a better joker. There was no ill feelings between us and we talked since and both have some different insights into what they thought before

Which is all I've been doing here when I've been talking about the negative of the trailer. As I like seeing and understanding while other people feel what they do and sometimes I can change my opinion which is what I want to do.

I don't think me and you will ever agree on the toxic or non-toxic stance on the fandom as a whole , but i genuinely think that's ok. And I'm here so I still have hope it can be great again.

But as I said if what I said to you was out of line rude or just plain too aggressive I will apologise. As my intent was never to upset or anger or annoy anyone it was just to express my viewpoint and hopefully let them see why I feel the way I do and discuss it because I genuinely believe that's the way a dialogue is created and that is the way people heal and a fandom improves.
RichardLess, Sav C liked this
RichRyan1507 wrote: December 11th, 2019, 11:45 am Speaking of which, has anyone heard any rumors about who will be scouring the film? Not random speculation or who you want for it. Actual rumors.
Nope. I think Reitman has collaborated with Rolfe Kent on at least 3 or 4 of his movies. He also worked with Rob Simonsen on Frontrunner. Cliff Eidelman. Mateo Messina. I think Kent is a solid guess. I'd guess Peter Bernstein was at least consulted during pre-production.
Davideverona wrote: December 11th, 2019, 7:30 am why the pke is in full swing inside Egon's lab?
Ghost stored in a trap. Or it's picking up the spiritual turbulence from Shandor Mining Company's mine.
skankerzero wrote: December 11th, 2019, 4:37 pm

This is correct. Took about a year or so to get into the black, but in the end it was considered a success by everyone involved.
Ah it was a success in the end. I'm really happy as that's up there in my top games of all time. So I am very happy it was success in the end.
SSJmole wrote: December 11th, 2019, 4:40 pm If it wasn't meant that way I will say on my behalf sorry RichardLess if my reply why was too aggressive or angry. (I'm a he by the way. The girl who went through it is just related to me )

and I completely agree it's good to talk to Hans about what works and what doesn't and seeing the different viewpoints which is what I've been trying to do with my feeling on the trailer.

Like after I watched joker I spoke to my ex boyfriend who I'm still friends with for about 2-3 hours on the phone just about why that movie worked and we had a fun debate about that joker vs heath ledger joker. As we talked about how heath ledger's joker is the perfect Joker for a batman movie but that movies joker is way more layered well fleshed out and to me is a much better character and it's highly debatable whether or not it's a better joker. There was no ill feelings between us and we talked since and both have some different insights into what they thought before

Which is all I've been doing here when I've been talking about the negative of the trailer. As I like seeing and understanding while other people feel what they do and sometimes I can change my opinion which is what I want to do.

I don't think me and you will ever agree on the toxic or non-toxic stance on the fandom as a whole , but i genuinely think that's ok. And I'm here so I still have hope it can be great again.

But as I said if what I said to you was out of line rude or just plain too aggressive I will apologise. As my intent was never to upset or anger or annoy anyone it was just to express my viewpoint and hopefully let them see why I feel the way I do and discuss it because I genuinely believe that's the way a dialogue is created and that is the way people heal and a fandom improves.
Nope. I have zero issues with what you wrote in reply.

Also, we do agree with each other on the Joker. For The Joker it worked wonderfully. But that Joker might not work in a Batman movie & Vice Versa. Heath will always be the perfect Joker for a Batman live action film. Even though my favourite Joker of all time has to be Mark Hamill from the animated series.

As for Ghostbusters, I truly hope the next trailer gives you that feeling of wanting to see a GB film in theatres.

Honestly if this new movie doesn't have the surviving Ghostbusters suit up at least once in the film...I'd be disappointed. And who knows, maybe we will get a bit of them in New York. It would be weird to not have the firehouse in the movie somewhere.

I keep coming back to Jason saying this film will be a love letter to the fans. I think he knows what we want to see.
SSJmole, Sav C liked this
RichardLess wrote: December 11th, 2019, 4:38 pm
devilmanozzy wrote: December 11th, 2019, 3:29 pm

This comes to mind...

That shot is pure E.T and Spielberg. I saw someone mention earlier that people are forgetting Stranger Things is itself a love letter to Amblin films of the '80s. But because it's popular and the most recent thing everyone is going "Stranger Things ripoff" without realizing the irony of that statement.
I don't know. Havn't watched ET in years. But disagree with it all you want, that is what everyone else is seeing including myself. It is a striking style. Hard to not notice.
RichardLess wrote: December 11th, 2019, 4:38 pm It shocks me they cast Finn Wolfhard. They really had to foresee this "Stranger Things" problem people are having, right? Personally I don't care. I just want a great movie. But I'm seeing quite a few complaints with the same theme: "This is a Stranger Things ripoff" "Who wants to see a Ghostbusters movie with kids as the Ghostbusters" and "Where are all the jokes?".
Might be forming a type-cast for the actor, but if it works, it works. There wasn't any strong complaints when Stranger Things did the whole Ghostbusters thing in season 2, and it does well with ratings. A film needs modern era charm as well, so why not fetch the kid from Stranger Things?
RichardLess wrote: December 11th, 2019, 4:56 pm
SSJmole wrote: December 11th, 2019, 4:40 pm If it wasn't meant that way I will say on my behalf sorry RichardLess if my reply why was too aggressive or angry. (I'm a he by the way. The girl who went through it is just related to me )

Nope. I have zero issues with what you wrote in reply.

Also, we do agree with each other on the Joker. For The Joker it worked wonderfully. But that Joker might not work in a Batman movie & Vice Versa. Heath will always be the perfect Joker for a Batman live action film. Even though my favourite Joker of all time has to be Mark Hamill from the animated series.

As for Ghostbusters, I truly hope the next trailer gives you that feeling of wanting to see a GB film in theatres.

Honestly if this new movie doesn't have the surviving Ghostbusters suit up at least once in the film...I'd be disappointed. And who knows, maybe we will get a bit of them in New York. It would be weird to not have the firehouse in the movie somewhere.

I keep coming back to Jason saying this film will be a love letter to the fans. I think he knows what we want to see.
Yeah exactly like I'm hoping. Like this edit (while slightly sloppy)

https://youtu.be/hj6dp72EXB8

Gets me excited as did this official teaser

https://youtu.be/BGq1chBbc30

I think it just boils down to what people want. The certain recognisable elements too different people. The new trailer just doesn't have them for me on a personal level. However I do have faith the second one could and I really hope it does.
RichardLess wrote: December 11th, 2019, 4:38 pm It shocks me they cast Finn Wolfhard. They really had to foresee this "Stranger Things" problem people are having, right? Personally I don't care. I just want a great movie. But I'm seeing quite a few complaints with the same theme: "This is a Stranger Things ripoff" "Who wants to see a Ghostbusters movie with kids as the Ghostbusters" and "Where are all the jokes?".

The "ripping off Stranger Things" allegation is so frustrating becauseStranger Things repackages so much content for the '80s to begin with. I mean, did you see the latest season? The bad guy almost exactly quotes the first terrorist to get killed in Die Hard. "You're a police man. Police men have rules."

The real problem is that Finn Wolfhard dressed as a Ghostbuster in Stranger Things, so seeing him in a Ghostbusters film reminds people of Stranger Things.

Ahhh, nostalgia for nostalgia

Past that, the best comparison relies on the single mother with kids thing. And, uh... Ghostbusters II was about a single mother with a kid.
groschopf wrote: December 11th, 2019, 5:26 pm

The "ripping off Stranger Things" allegation is so frustrating becauseStranger Things repackages so much content for the '80s to begin with. I mean, did you see the latest season? The bad guy almost exactly quotes the first terrorist to get killed in Die Hard. "You're a police man. Police men have rules."

The real problem is that Finn Wolfhard dressed as a Ghostbuster in Stranger Things, so seeing him in a Ghostbusters film reminds people of Stranger Things.

Ahhh, nostalgia for nostalgia

Past that, the best comparison relies on the single mother with kids thing. And, uh... Ghostbusters II was about a single mother with a kid.
The way I see it is stranger things was inspired by stuff from the 80s including Ghostbusters but a combined multiple and created its own thing. Like people say element of et it has elements of Ghostbusters hell some shots seem straight of Halloween on Friday the 13th.

Thus though seems a straight copy of the stranger things style. Including the town the acting and it's not because that kids in it. He's been in a few things like he was a great pugsley in the new Addams family I took the kids to see.

The issue stands from people don't want stranger things they want Ghostbusters. Like if you put Ghostbusters 1 on and then you put stranger things season 1 on or season 2 or whatever , you can tell a difference in style in pacing , in acting styles , in directorial choices , in locations. Now you do the same thing with the trailer and stranger things and its much harder to tell the difference.

That's how I feel I do admit completely respect others may not see it that way and that is absolutely fine. I just think once you do see it it's hard to unsee it. Like even the local town it's in feels like the stranger place location.

I would argue if you wanted to take it away from New York because you feel you've done it. Go somewhere else that's still a city. Like New Orleans would be better. Still get that city environment that Ghostbusters is famous for but New Orleans has a very different style to New York so would be a different character in itself. As it's known for festivals is known for history with food related stuff a vibrant nightlife would make it unique but still very ghostbusters. If that makes sense.

Like seeing ecto-1 sirens on driving down a busy road is like one of the quintessential Ghostbusters shots and a city like New Orleans would still allow this and still be different to New York. Driving it through a small town and a corn field just doesn't have the same weight behind the shot.
RichardLess wrote: December 11th, 2019, 4:38 pm It shocks me they cast Finn Wolfhard. They really had to foresee this "Stranger Things" problem people are having, right?
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/ghos ... 203153292/

"There were rumblings that Reitman may have been weary about using anyone from the “Stranger Things” cast, given some of the similarities between the two properties, but both he and the executives were blown away by Wolfhard’s audition."
RichRyan1507, groschopf, deadderek and 1 others liked this
devilmanozzy wrote: December 11th, 2019, 5:03 pm
RichardLess wrote: December 11th, 2019, 4:38 pm
I don't know. Havn't watched ET in years. But disagree with it all you want, that is what everyone else is seeing including myself. It is a striking style. Hard to not notice.
Might be forming a type-cast for the actor, but if it works, it works. There wasn't any strong complaints when Stranger Things did the whole Ghostbusters thing in season 2, and it does well with ratings. A film needs modern era charm as well, so why not fetch the kid from Stranger Things?
It's not that I disagree. The Duffer Bros straight up admit to referencing E.T & Spielberg(along with Stephen King, John Carpenter, George Lucas etc). That scene in the trailer is shot very much like the scene where Elliot first discovers E.T in the garage/shack & drops the pizza. The scene in season 1 episode 1 where Will gets attacked by the monster is a direct reference to that E.T scene. The Duffer Brothers(creators of the show) even used the E.T imagery in their series bible/pitch outline which is online, back when the show was going to be called "Montauk". But yeah it's not surprising people are thinking it's riffing on Stranger Things when that show is so caught up in the cultural zeitgeist(.
deadderek, groschopf liked this
Anyone else spy the Radiation red sign from the GBs room at the University? I know the orange machine has been discussed but in the same trailer scene, it look like it could be the same sign.

I do hope they don't completely ignore GB2. I am still being cautious in how I approach this. My biggest fear is that it will turn into Superman Returns. Superman Returns trailer had so many hall marks to the Donner film (s -credit where credit is due). It looked like it was going to be an honest to goodness years later return to the universe I grew up and loved. The trailer for Superman Returns gave me chills, the images of that John Barry world of Krypton. The hallmarks to the original John Williams score. It seemed like it was brewing to be what I had wanted. Then when the movie came out and I watched it, I felt some of the excitement that I was watching the next chapter of the world I loved but then the movie just didn't carry the torch right. They tried hard to make it look back without moving forward, and since the looking back truly wasn't the same world it didn't work. They also decided to ignore the third and fourth films.

Now we do still have many of the original actors and actresses from the original world so in that regard a true passing of the torch would work. I am very curious to find out how the OGs really work into this film.
groschopf liked this
I highly doubt they're going to ignore GB2. Jason Reitman himself was in GB2, so I'm sure it's very close to his heart. And if the fan speculation is correct, then we may have already seen a jar of mood slime next to the spores, molds, and fungus in the laboratory. Also, Grooberson's claim that there hasn't been a ghost sighting in "30 years" would imply that GB2 is being acknowledged, since 2020 will mark 31 years since GB2 and 36 (closer to 40) years since GB1.

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]