Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
JonXCTrack wrote: December 12th, 2019, 2:36 pm
groschopf wrote: December 12th, 2019, 2:30 pm They could be. I don't think they are, but it's possible.

I grew up in rural Wisconsin. Those might have started as agricultural tanks, but I suspect they were converted to something more technological. The water tanks I encountered as a kid tended to be made of lightweight plastic, not steel. Those aren't silos, and they appear to have high voltage bushings on the top like you'd see on a power transformer.

My best guess is that is serves as some sort of back up power supply. If there is an ECU on the premises, then if the power were to go out, he'd want there to be a backup battery to sustain the ECU until the power was restored.
That makes sense
Last edited by Kingpin on December 13th, 2019, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: fixed quote code
Or maybe Shandor has some safeguards to keep the ghosts of the miners trapped in the "well" and should the New York Temple of Gozer be destroyed, the Cult could tap off the miners' P.K.E. and fuel a secondary Temple of Gozer. But I guess they didn't count on the Cult dying out or moving on with their lives. And under 100 years later, some of the tech starts to fail and ghosts start escaping the mine. But due to the instability of the tech, if they all bust out at once+the tech goes critical, we're looking at a Summerville Crossrip.
Sav C wrote: December 12th, 2019, 11:33 am I may be the only person under 60 who hasn't binged Stranger Things front to back (not that it isn't really good), so by the time the end credits role I'll probably already associate Finn with Ghostbusters more than anything else, lol.
I'm under 40 and I never watched that show. Never watched Game of Thrones either.
groschopf, Sav C, SpaceBallz and 1 others liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: December 12th, 2019, 3:53 pm Or maybe Shandor has some safeguards to keep the ghosts of the miners trapped in the "well" and should the New York Temple of Gozer be destroyed, the Cult could tap off the miners' P.K.E. and fuel a secondary Temple of Gozer. But I guess they didn't count on the Cult dying out or moving on with their lives. And under 100 years later, some of the tech starts to fail and ghosts start escaping the mine. But due to the instability of the tech, if they all bust out at once+the tech goes critical, we're looking at a Summerville Crossrip.
Sav C wrote: December 12th, 2019, 11:33 am I may be the only person under 60 who hasn't binged Stranger Things front to back (not that it isn't really good), so by the time the end credits role I'll probably already associate Finn with Ghostbusters more than anything else, lol.
I'm under 40 and I never watched that show. Never watched Game of Thrones either.
I'm in my mid 30s, I never watched it because I didn't want to pay for a streaming service.
mrmichaelt, SSJmole liked this
Bison256 wrote: December 12th, 2019, 4:05 pm
mrmichaelt wrote: December 12th, 2019, 3:53 pm Or maybe Shandor has some safeguards to keep the ghosts of the miners trapped in the "well" and should the New York Temple of Gozer be destroyed, the Cult could tap off the miners' P.K.E. and fuel a secondary Temple of Gozer. But I guess they didn't count on the Cult dying out or moving on with their lives. And under 100 years later, some of the tech starts to fail and ghosts start escaping the mine. But due to the instability of the tech, if they all bust out at once+the tech goes critical, we're looking at a Summerville Crossrip.

I'm in my mid 30s, I never watched it because I didn't want to pay for a streaming service.
I only saw first few episodes as other things came long , also in 30s. Though this trailer feeling like stranger things has made me hyped for stranger things so decided to go back and continue watching. I'm on season 1 episode 4 as started from start last night lol
timeware wrote: December 12th, 2019, 3:20 pm I totally missed the well of souls. Im betting the kids release them after they experiment with the gear. The girl dares the boys to investigate the mine. typical kid stuff, then they get in over their heads.

Logically , wouldn't the person to release them be the shandor mining company ? My guess is like most films with teenagers for kids in a horror setting they'll discover the bad guys doing stuff and watch behind a box or a rock or something like that and thus be down there when it activates , but not be the ones to release

As logically they are not mining for coal. Unless it's just an Easter egg and I'm over thinking that lol
Watching the TRAILER again, and I swear, the music from 1:34 - 1:51 totally sounds like a music cue from Ghostbusters 2, specifically the part where the guys rappel down from the Statue of Liberty into the Museum. It's like a slowed down, simpler version, but the basic music is the same (except it continues climbing in the trailer, whereas it comes to a crescendo in GB2). Maybe a music person can see if the notes are exactly the same; that might be more proof right there that GB2 is being acknowledged.

I'm still youngish and I've never seen a single second of Stranger Things, or anything else Finn Wolfhard has done, and it's gonna stay that way until I've seen GB: Afterlife...
Sav C, pizzarat liked this
ghoulishfright wrote: December 12th, 2019, 5:08 pm Watching the TRAILER again, and I swear, the music from 1:34 - 1:51 totally sounds like a music cue from Ghostbusters 2, specifically the part where the guys rappel down from the Statue of Liberty into the Museum. It's like a slowed down, simpler version, but the basic music is the same (except it continues climbing in the trailer, whereas it comes to a crescendo in GB2). Maybe a music person can see if the notes are exactly the same; that might be more proof right there that GB2 is being acknowledged.

It's actually the same notes from the first movie when Venkman says that same line, just as an orchestra and more epic.

for refrence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjzC1Dgh17A
Wafflerobot, tylergfoster, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
Corey91 wrote: December 12th, 2019, 5:48 pm It's actually the same notes from the first movie when Venkman says that same line, just as an orchestra and more epic.
Oh, you're right. Maybe Randy Edelman was riffing on Elmer Bernstein, then.
groschopf wrote: December 12th, 2019, 2:05 pm I've gotta know what's inside of those tanks!

I guess it's possible that they're giant batteries if Egon's lab really is under that shed. I don't know how he'd have enough power to run a bunker laboratory and charge proton packs there otherwise.
What's in them for the movie, I don't know, but they appear to be old grain bins. I hope this isn't a "captain obvious" moment for me, as I sometimes don't know what is common knowledge and what isn't. I grew up in the midwest and they are/were common.

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/three-o ... 675447.jpg
EctoJames wrote: December 12th, 2019, 10:06 pm Jk Simmons as Ivo Shandor. What do y’all think?
How old was Ivo Shandor in the 1920s?
RichardLess wrote: December 11th, 2019, 4:38 pm
It shocks me they cast Finn Wolfhard. They really had to foresee this "Stranger Things" problem people are having, right? Personally I don't care. I just want a great movie. But I'm seeing quite a few complaints with the same theme: "This is a Stranger Things ripoff" "Who wants to see a Ghostbusters movie with kids as the Ghostbusters" and "Where are all the jokes?".
Just out of curiosity I thought I'd check out the original trailer for Ghostbusters. Do you know how many jokes were in it? Just one. The same amount in the Afterlife trailer.
GBfan77 wrote: December 13th, 2019, 3:52 am
RichardLess wrote: December 11th, 2019, 4:38 pm
It shocks me they cast Finn Wolfhard. They really had to foresee this "Stranger Things" problem people are having, right? Personally I don't care. I just want a great movie. But I'm seeing quite a few complaints with the same theme: "This is a Stranger Things ripoff" "Who wants to see a Ghostbusters movie with kids as the Ghostbusters" and "Where are all the jokes?".
Just out of curiosity I thought I'd check out the original trailer for Ghostbusters. Do you know how many jokes were in it? Just one. The same amount in the Afterlife trailer.
https://youtu.be/6hDkhw5Wkas

This one? There's at least 5 most of them Peter

It's also less for a better term "angsty"
SpaceBallz wrote: December 13th, 2019, 1:44 am How old was Ivo Shandor in the 1920s?
Never stated in the original canon. Just he was active in NYC between the late 1800s to 1920s. Probably in his 50-70s by the 1920s. The GB1 August 5, 1983 draft had him being executed by electrocution on October 28, 1929.

Alternatively, Erik Burnham did peg him being born around 1855 in Romania and finally dying in 1934 from complications surrounding an experimental surgery he was performing on himself---reports say he was trying to carry out the first ever interspecies leg transplant. (page 87 of Insight Editions' Tobin's Spirit Guide)
back liked this
SSJmole wrote: December 12th, 2019, 2:14 pm They could just be regular tanks that farms use for water or fuel.

Has look at the proton packs and the containment unit both nuclear (at least one packs are I always assumed containment unit was too) in 1980s and didn't need tanks. I don't think he'd need tanks for batteries or anything. If and I mean if he did , logically he'd put them underground because outside in country area is prone to weather damage like tornados and storms (at least I always assumed that I don't live in the US every shall I see what every film with a farm as I focus it happens)
No, The containment Grid is/was Electrical, not nuclear. And that brings up the 3 TANKS along side the house....
groschopf wrote: December 12th, 2019, 2:30 pm Those might have started as agricultural tanks, but I suspect they were converted to something more technological. The water tanks I encountered as a kid tended to be made of lightweight plastic, not steel. Those aren't silos, and they appear to have high voltage bushings on the top like you'd see on a power transformer.
Ive been killing myself TRYING to figure out What they were & they LOOK like god damn Septic tanks with transformers on them.... Considering that Ray turned Garbage trucks into ghost traps...
Using a few Septic tanks to move the contents of the containment unit out of NYC isnt a far cry & would be the perfect module.
Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator
And yes, Some septic tanks are That Big lol
But if the design is throwing you off (this comes from experience digging these bastards up), They USED to be made of metal... the ones were staring at seem to be simple 1960's residental designs from smaller towns/hamlets/villages.
Last edited by back on December 13th, 2019, 7:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
groschopf liked this
RichRyan1507 wrote: December 13th, 2019, 5:53 am
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: December 13th, 2019, 5:44 am Has anyone considered the other 3 might be nearby since there are four jumpsuits that she finds?
Ooooooooh! That would be fun. At least Ray, maybe?
I guess Egon must not have liked his GB2 jumpsuit since we don't see it. Although when they're playing with the equipment in the German trailer Finn's overalls are reminiscent of it at least.
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: December 13th, 2019, 5:44 am Has anyone considered the other 3 might be nearby since there are four jumpsuits that she finds?
Valid thought! But I dont think they are... as previously speculated, it would make sense for everyone to go their own ways... 30 odd years is a long time, The company is obviously out of business and it would only make sense. :whatever:
RichRyan1507 liked this
Pdred1985 wrote: December 12th, 2019, 9:26 pm Not a big thing, but I noticed in the trailer when it's showing the Ecto-1 before it pulls out, it appears to be a white garage door lifting rather than at the barn. Almost like the sectional one you'd see in the suburbs.
Your White garage doors...
There was another production photo (removed?) giving a better look at yet Another white garage door.
BUT..... The teaser shows it....
Last edited by back on December 13th, 2019, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sav C, Kingpin, groschopf liked this
Prime 1986 wrote: December 13th, 2019, 7:33 am At 2:16 or 2:17 in the trailer, it looks like the Ecto-1s front windshield is broken.

I think that's the just the dust that you see was cleared by the wiper blades in other shots.

I suspect they removed more of it so the driver could see when cornering the vehicle in front of Spinner's drive-in at the end of the shot.

And it's entirely possible that the Ecto-1 that stops in that shot isn't the same car since we know they built two of them, so the dust on the windshield might have been applied differently.
back, Kingpin liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: December 13th, 2019, 8:29 am Went to see Black Christmas last night but popped into a Jumanji: The Next Level auditorium for the trailers and enjoyed the trailer on the big screen.
It's times like this I am glad I have a 4k projector. This trailer looks INSANELY better on an actual big screen.

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]