Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
What sort of "tone" is everyone expecting from this movie with all we know now? I really, really, hope it remains a comedy at heart and doesn't take itself too seriously. Maybe if there are gonna be little Stay Pufts and things of that nature it will be not as somewhat heavy handed as the trailer might have insinuated it could be.
I’ve been jotting down the major questions I’m looking forward to getting answers for when the movie comes out. Anything I’m missing?

How long has Egon been gone?
Did he have any relationship with Callie?
Was Callie’s mother Janine or someone else?
How long was Egon in Oklahoma?
How much did he know about the Shandor Mining Company?
Why hasn’t there been a ghost siting for 30 years?
How soon after the Vigo event did activity stop?
Are ghosts still stored in the containment unit in New York? If not, where are they now?
What are Peter, Ray, and Winston doing now?
Were they aware of where Egon was and what he was doing?
Is the Ecto-1 in Oklahoma the only one, and if so why did Egon keep it?
Is the Shandor mine being used as a containment facility, or is it the location of the next cross rip?

Thoughts?
pizzarat, Wafflerobot liked this
Michael Scott wrote:I’ve been jotting down the major questions I’m looking forward to getting answers for when the movie comes out. Anything I’m missing?

How long has Egon been gone? Not too long, I would imagine. That's why Callie inherits the property in 2020 and not sooner.
Did he have any relationship with Callie? I doubt it. If he did, I would think that the family would be more informed about their Ghostbuster grandpa.
Was Callie’s mother Janine or someone else? Someone else. Callie's age puts her as being born in the early 80s. Egon wouldn't have even met Janine at that point - unless there's a new backstory that they're going to cook up. Maybe they hired Janine because they knew her from their days at Columbia University? I doubt it, though.
How long was Egon in Oklahoma? Not long enough to solve the mystery surrounding the Shandor mine, apparently.
How much did he know about the Shandor Mining Company? Probably quite a bit, which is why he set up a whole laboratory in Oklahoma.
Why hasn’t there been a ghost siting for 30 years? If I had to guess, because the spiritual energy was being concentrated in Oklahoma to bring about another crossrip.
How soon after the Vigo event did activity stop? Within a year or two. Hence, no ghost sighting in 30 years.
Are ghosts still stored in the containment unit in New York? If not, where are they now? We never saw a containment unit in Ghostbusters 2. We assume there was one, due to the cartoon. But it's possible they started disposing of ghosts via a portal into the netherealm. But this is a good question that I hope is answered.
What are Peter, Ray, and Winston doing now? Venkman would be a politician or in show business. Ray would still operate his book store. Winston is a successful businessman.
Were they aware of where Egon was and what he was doing? I would imagine so. But only Ray would have any active interest in what Egon was doing. Venkman likely would want to move on with his life. Winston may still keep in touch, but keep things at arm's length. He was not as into the academic side of things as Ray and Egon were.
Is the Ecto-1 in Oklahoma the only one, and if so why did Egon keep it? The Ecto 1A likely is a separate vehicle. Egon likely took this vehicle to Oklahoma because it had equipment in and on it he found useful, but that begs the question as to why he wouldn't take the Ecto 1A as well (then again, that car could be in the barn, too.)
Is the Shandor mine being used as a containment facility, or is it the location of the next cross rip? Why not both?

Thoughts?
Michael Scott liked this
You know it is funny that tone has been mentioned several times. I dig how some people are getting a Stranger Things Vibe. That may be the case, but I am real old school. I am getting the vibes from the films that enspired Stranger Things. They happen to be 80s properties. Like Monster Squad, The Explorers, Lost Boys, and to a certain extent E.T. Those are the vibes that the first trailer envoked in me. It hit some really great cords and I am very confident that the movie will feel like Ghostbusters at its core. Again I think that this film will be something that will be a tough act to follow if more projects come out of it being a hit. :):):)
Wafflerobot liked this
timeware wrote: February 26th, 2020, 4:57 pm Agreed. If any more projects come forward don't expect any more cameos from the og's.

It will more likely be the kids training to become Ghostbusters, Rudd heading an entirely new team while the kids train, or franchising out if that's not touched on in afterlife.
Don't you mean don't expect Bill Murray? Ghostbusters is Dan's baby and Ernie is always looking for work. No reason for them to turn down roles in more sequels.
groschopf, Sav C, deadderek liked this
Michael Scott wrote: February 26th, 2020, 1:46 pm I’ve been jotting down the major questions I’m looking forward to getting answers for when the movie comes out. Anything I’m missing?

Are ghosts still stored in the containment unit in New York? If not, where are they now?
Is the Shandor mine being used as a containment facility, or is it the location of the next cross rip?

Thoughts?
Theoretically, wouldn't the ghosts in the containment unit from the first film have been released by Walter Peck? I'll be really surprised if it doesn't establish that Ray and Egon at least haven't stayed in contact because they were still together at the start of GB2. Since Ray was selling books in GB2 I would imagine he is still doing something along the lines of keeping up with the occult because he has always been the big nerd at heart through all the important iterations. The biggest question I have is will Egon be a ghost in the film that actually helps them? Since it is "Afterlife" wouldn't that mean we could potentially see Egon in the afterlife? Sorta like Egon Wan Kenobi. LOL! I will REALLY be surprised if they take it to that extent but I don't think I WOULD mind seeing the ghost of Egon actually help the team. I'm just not sure how I really feel about all the CGI images of dead actors like they used in Rogue One and things of that nature. (although I thought Rogue One was an awesome Star Wars movie)
Michael Scott wrote: February 26th, 2020, 1:46 pm I’ve been jotting down the major questions I’m looking forward to getting answers for when the movie comes out. Anything I’m missing?

Thoughts?
How long has Egon been gone? This is a really good one. If GB disbanded in 199x, when thereafter did Egon's research take him to OK? And why was no one else involved if it was this important?
Did he have any relationship with Callie? Seems like very little to none. My own thought is "Elon" is Egon's estranged son.
Was Callie’s mother Janine or someone else? Hopefully somebody else. That would keep mostly true to Harold Ramis' intentions for the character in the two movies.
How long was Egon in Oklahoma? If we look at the computer equipment that is present in the secret lab, perhaps longer than a few years? But could we also presume that the OGB knew where he was, or how else would anyone discover that he's "missing"?
How much did he know about the Shandor Mining Company? I'm going to say quite a bit, and maybe it's possible his death wasn't an accident. There's definitely a lurking presence that has to know the true history of Shandor, in sort of a Halloween III sort of way.
Why hasn’t there been a ghost siting for 30 years? Someone earlier touched on the lack of paranormal activity tied to a larger surge by an entity like Gozer or Vigo.
How soon after the Vigo event did activity stop? This is my personal #1 question for this movie that I have been wanting to know since I was 5. GBII ends on such a high note. They saved the day and were finally lauded as hero by the general public, without being billed the second time.
Are ghosts still stored in the containment unit in New York? If not, where are they now? Also a really good one. Very recently I saw a picture of a mock-up of Egon's lab, which had a containment unit on the wall. Though that begs the question, how do you move a containment unit, or is this a new one that correlated to the OK expedition?
What are Peter, Ray, and Winston doing now? I wonder if this will relate to the character exposition from the beginning of GB II at all.
Were they aware of where Egon was and what he was doing? I say "yes" on some level. Otherwise how would anyone even realize he's gone?
Is the Ecto-1 in Oklahoma the only one, and if so why did Egon keep it? This is always a popular subject for debate, but my own thought has always been over the years that 1 and 1A are different cars. The orange license thing as a deep continuity person irks me (because of the white plate at the beginning of GB II), but I've let that one go for now.
Is the Shandor mine being used as a containment facility, or is it the location of the next cross rip? I'm going to say location of the next cross-rip. All those miners died in there, and then you add in the pure selenium, and then, "Whoa!".
I'm just glad there's 95% confirmation of little stay puft creatures raising hell. It means that there's gonna be some humorous fun in this layered serious flick :)
groschopf liked this
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: February 26th, 2020, 6:58 pm

Thoughts?
Theoretically, wouldn't the ghosts in the containment unit from the first film have been released by Walter Peck? I'll be really surprised if it doesn't establish that Ray and Egon at least haven't stayed in contact because they were still together at the start of GB2. Since Ray was selling books in GB2 I would imagine he is still doing something along the lines of keeping up with the occult because he has always been the big nerd at heart through all the important iterations. The biggest question I have is will Egon be a ghost in the film that actually helps them? Since it is "Afterlife" wouldn't that mean we could potentially see Egon in the afterlife? Sorta like Egon Wan Kenobi. LOL! I will REALLY be surprised if they take it to that extent but I don't think I WOULD mind seeing the ghost of Egon actually help the team. I'm just not sure how I really feel about all the CGI images of dead actors like they used in Rogue One and things of that nature. (although I thought Rogue One was an awesome Star Wars movie)

Oh I think we are going to get Ghost Egon appearing at the end of the movie. I think his ghost is the PKE readings that Phoebe is following. I think his presence will be felt throughout, but will actually appear in some way by the end. Just a strong feeling. :):):)
pizzarat wrote: February 26th, 2020, 7:38 pm Was Callie’s mother Janine or someone else? Hopefully somebody else. That would keep mostly true to Harold Ramis' intentions for the character in the two movies.
I'm really hoping it IS Janine.

But , to my point, I think you may have misunderstood what Harold had meant. I think he was saying that he couldn't see Egon in a relationship with ANY one, that the concept of a relationship would be beyond his abilities.

In that sense, then Egon having had kids with ANY woman would be outside of what Harold thought was appropriate for the character. And if we are stepping out and saying there was a woman, then it SHOULD be Janine.

Actually, from what I've seen, most non-fanatics, take for granted that it is Egon and Janine's grandkids, because they only vaguely remember what they saw in childhood and mix up the movies and cartoons.

As for the timeline... I feel like they can work it where, maybe they did get married as originally written in the script, and had a baby, and then had to hide the fact, probably because they were worried something would happen to their baby like what did eventually happen to Oscar. Or it could have been an issue like Tiamat and everyone but Egon forgot...
It can be worked around.

I'll step off my soapbox now. Sorry
SpaceBallz wrote: February 26th, 2020, 10:15 pm I'm just glad there's 95% confirmation of little stay puft creatures raising hell. It means that there's gonna be some humorous fun in this layered serious flick :)
A direct video game reference? Wonder if they'll look like the stay puft minis at all. Cant wait to see how many video game Easter eggs pop up through out the film.
mrmichaelt, robbritton liked this
timeware wrote: February 26th, 2020, 11:30 pm
SpaceBallz wrote: February 26th, 2020, 10:15 pm I'm just glad there's 95% confirmation of little stay puft creatures raising hell. It means that there's gonna be some humorous fun in this layered serious flick :)
A direct video game reference? Wonder if they'll look like the stay puft minis at all. Cant wait to see how many video game Easter eggs pop up through out the film.
You don't take it literally enough
The timeline of Egon having grandkids this old seems kinda hard to reconcile though doesn't it? Or is it just me? I mean since GB2 technically ends in 1990 it would mean that it would be almost 1991 before Egon could even mathematically have a child. Then that would make said child 29 going on 30 and I'm not sure how old Trevor and Phoebe are supposed to be. I mean it's certainly possible that he could have grandkids but it just seems like his child would have had to move pretty quickly in life to have his own kids this old at this point. I mean how many 29 or 30 year olds have kids that seem as old as these kids? Am I the only one that thinks this ( or overthinks this)? LOL!
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: February 27th, 2020, 6:07 am The timeline of Egon having grandkids this old seems kinda hard to reconcile though doesn't it? Or is it just me? I mean since GB2 technically ends in 1990 it would mean that it would be almost 1991 before Egon could even mathematically have a child. Then that would make said child 29 going on 30 and I'm not sure how old Trevor and Phoebe are supposed to be. I mean it's certainly possible that he could have grandkids but it just seems like his child would have had to move pretty quickly in life to have his own kids this old at this point. I mean how many 29 or 30 year olds have kids that seem as old as these kids? Am I the only one that thinks this ( or overthinks this)? LOL!
It's entirely possible Egon had a kid he didn't even know about back during Ghostbusters 1 & 2. Also teenage pregnancy is a thing so while the math is fuzzy right now, it's not impossible at all.
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: February 26th, 2020, 1:45 pm What sort of "tone" is everyone expecting from this movie with all we know now? I really, really, hope it remains a comedy at heart and doesn't take itself too seriously. Maybe if there are gonna be little Stay Pufts and things of that nature it will be not as somewhat heavy handed as the trailer might have insinuated it could be.
I'm hoping as close as we can get to the original film as possible. Not the whimsical music and toning down of GB2, and especially not the SNL silliness of ATC.
RichRyan1507, lozbloke liked this
timeware wrote: February 26th, 2020, 11:30 pm
Reading between some lines here, I think they're going to be just straight up mini Stay Pufts - like the mini Ash's in Army of Darkness - rather than the Video Game interpretation.
Last edited by robbritton on February 27th, 2020, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.D, groschopf, SpaceBallz liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: February 27th, 2020, 11:17 am I saw a post either on Facebook or Reddit where someone said that the scene with Muncher in that warehouse contains vats filled with the leftover marshmallow from the 1984 crossrip. The mini Stay Pufts emerge from these vats. That would certainly indicate that the cult of Gozer is still active in Summerville.
Now that's interesting, I mean its basically Gozer's remains so I can see them hoarding it.
groschopf liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: February 27th, 2020, 11:17 am I saw a post either on Facebook or Reddit where someone said that the scene with Muncher in that warehouse contains vats filled with the leftover marshmallow from the 1984 crossrip. The mini Stay Pufts emerge from these vats. That would certainly indicate that the cult of Gozer is still active in Summerville.
That... makes so much sense.

I'd like more information, but it sure as hell makes sense from a cult-pursuing-sacred-objects point of view. There would have been a lot of residue left to clean up. Could even be where the story begins.
Corey91, deadderek liked this
groschopf wrote: February 27th, 2020, 9:53 am Most likely. They'll want to use the iconic look of Stay Puft and the ironic new scale for comedic effect.
It would be great if they conjure up mini Stay Puft, and the camera angles make hi look 112 feet, but then the camera pulls back and we realize he's waist high or something.
deadderek wrote:
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: February 26th, 2020, 1:45 pm What sort of "tone" is everyone expecting from this movie with all we know now? I really, really, hope it remains a comedy at heart and doesn't take itself too seriously. Maybe if there are gonna be little Stay Pufts and things of that nature it will be not as somewhat heavy handed as the trailer might have insinuated it could be.
I'm hoping as close as we can get to the original film as possible. Not the whimsical music and toning down of GB2, and especially not the SNL silliness of ATC.
I concur. I really hope that they revive the motifs of the original score, since the score had so much character. I like GBII's score, and wouldn't mind if the composer for the new movie borrows the occasional GBII motif as well. (I get chills when the Statue of Liberty breaks through the museum roof; the score to the Scoleri Brothers scene is pretty hype; the piano riff after the birthday party is kinda jazzy.) However, I think that if the tone of the first movie is to be attained, its score should be present in some sense.
Corey91, groschopf, deadderek and 1 others liked this
groschopf wrote: February 27th, 2020, 12:08 pm That... makes so much sense.

I'd like more information, but it sure as hell makes sense from a cult-pursuing-sacred-objects point of view. There would have been a lot of residue left to clean up. Could even be where the story begins.

Oh man, that would actually be an awesome opening! Film opens with "1984" on the screen and we see random suspicious looking NY residents scooping up the marshmallow fluff and putting it in their pockets or a container or something. Then a push in on the container as it starts shaking and that's when the title pops up or it cuts to the present - the possibilities are endless :D
Sav C, groschopf liked this

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]