Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
RichardLess wrote: March 31st, 2020, 1:17 amGenerally speaking, massive multi national corporations like Sony don’t play April Fools Day pranks.
You lie! Google once tricked me into smelling my iPad screen because they said they have figured out how to transmit scents over the internet. I didn't smell any oranges! :P
Im not sure if this is the proper email address but i sent a letter here about my issues with the ghostbusters afterlife release date, please feel free to send an email as well and i will update you all if i get any responses...

tony_vinciquerra@spe.sony.com

Heres my letter...

Dear Sir

Forgive me if this is the wrong email address or person to address, as it was given to me online and if this is the right address I want to first thank you for your time and attention!

My name is Al and I am a die hard Ghostbusters fan, and when news dropped in January of 2019 there would be another film this time set in the original timeline, I was ecstatic.

I and my fellow fans have been waiting for a true 3rd film since June of 1989 and needless to say its been a long drawn out road with many many bumps in it along the way and as a fan, I was greatly looking forward to Ghostbusters Afterlife in theaters. In fact, it was my event film of the year, if not the event film for me personally in 30 plus years.

Now, first and foremost, I understand the position of Sony Pictures at this time, given the COVID Pandemic going on. I am NOT asking you to release a movie in theaters when it is unhealthy and unsafe for the public to go see it, and it would be in poor tase to do so.

Public Safety must be first priority and I as a fan totally understand that fact and agree with the choice of delaying the film if absolutely necessary.

However, I do believe March is too much of a delay and would hurt the film in the long run for multiple reasons.

1: its almost a year after its original release date and interest will wain.

2: Its entirely possible come next march, we could very well be back in a similar pandemic with this virus as some say it might become a seasonal thing.

3: Its less then two weeks away from your Mobius film which I feel will Cannibalize sales and ideally you would want to have that film, with its larger range of fans with the Marvel connections, have its own month to capitalize on it.

4: October if possible, would be a much better month given the theme of the film (Busting Ghost). We as Ghostbusters fans always viewed summer (June-July) as Ghostbusters season for theatrical releases, but if that is no longer an option due to health concerns and post production issues, Halloween would be the next best option for a theatrical release instead of the Kevin Heart film “Fatherhood"

5: A Digital Release perhaps in sync with a Theatrical release that way people who are uncomfortable with seeing it in theaters due to health concern can purchase or rent the film digitally and still be able to see it.

Again these are all possible options, and I understand Sony has to think of the safety of its audience but I feel as a fan, and as someone who has worked at many movie theaters throughout the course of my life, that March is an poor placement for the film.

I also recorded a video outlining my ideas here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wz5mgjT85k

I thank you for your time and beg you, plea with you even, to reconsider the March date….Please

-Al
pizzarat liked this
moviemaker29 wrote: March 30th, 2020, 7:35 pm God this sucks! I was sincerely hoping that they would end up benefiting from being one of the first tentpoles out the gate after all this hysteria went away.
While the death toll isn't anything like the Black Death or the Spanish Flu, just how many people have already died and how easily transmissible the virus is has proven that it's not just 'hysteria'.

And, well, there are worse things than the film being rescheduled... Like the loss of one's job, or the death of a friend or loved one.

It is believable, and it makes complete sense.
deadderek wrote: March 30th, 2020, 7:53 pmThen again...why March though?
As mentioned by others, March appears to provide more flexibility for the rescheduled movies than the more cluttered roster for Summer 2021.
moviemaker29 wrote: March 30th, 2020, 7:57 pmI'm just pissed that they moved it so far out after being this damn close to having it ready to go and we were literally within a week or two of seeing a new trailer. Should the film do well, it also just pushes a follow up even further out. :(
The James Bond and Fast and the Furious fans have already had to adjust to this, along with everyone looking to attend a music concert, and all the athletes looking to complete in the Tokyo Olympics... We must get used to the idea that for the foreseeable future all major mass-gathering events are going to be postponed by six-twelve months until we can get the virus under control.

And likewise, why everyone has to adhere to the social distancing guidelines and not take the piss, like some have been with holding parties, barbecues, five-a-side football games in the ruddy park...
timeware wrote: March 30th, 2020, 8:38 pm I was ahead of myself, but still keep april fool's day in mind. Shitty April fool's joke you bet.
April Fool's is as good as cancelled this year, there's already enough people doing idiotic things without it being the biggest practical joke day of the year as an excuse. The delay dates aren't going to be revealed as some kind of joke.
Ectojeff88 wrote: March 30th, 2020, 9:31 pm Question now is this: will the film delay also push back the release of all the toys we all pre-ordered? What about the Spengler wand in September?
It seems beyond likely as those aren't essential supplies, and the retailers they'd be going to will still be undergoing some degree of restrictions as the nations focus on what we need, as opposed to what we want.

To be honest, I'm certain we won't see any more bits of merchandise and any extra level of polish go onto the film, the production studios, visual effects houses and editing suites will still be closed for an undetermined period, meaning Sony's not going to be able to reap much, if any advantage from the delay to tighten anything.
robbritton wrote: March 30th, 2020, 10:02 pmIs there anywhere I can sign to opt out of living in interesting times? I was happy with average ones!
Put me down for that opt-out, too.
Davideverona wrote: March 31st, 2020, 3:55 am In the meantime we're staying with my wife's parents, quarantined together.
God bless smart working 😁
Hope you're all doing okay, David. Being stuck indefinitely with the in-laws can make things a bit more tricky.
yourbigpalal83 wrote: March 31st, 2020, 10:51 am Im not sure if this is the proper email address but i sent a letter here about my issues with the ghostbusters afterlife release date...
We're all concerned with how the pandemic and its fallout are going to affect the film, but the film has to be delayed a certain amount, and there may be plenty of reasons why they ruled October out, including but not limited to other existing films that were planned for that period which now have to be bumped, and whether the cinemas will even be open.

If things go better than expected and we're back to something approximating normal sooner than expected, than we may here something about the date being moved forward... But I don't believe there's much to be gained in emailing Sony to reconsider the date when the fate of much more important things is currently unknown.
Sav C, Glenn Frederick, robbritton and 2 others liked this
I wouldn't be surprised if in 2-3 days we're told it's on hold for editing reasons. Makes the most sense.
dyfea liked this
RichardLess wrote: March 31st, 2020, 1:17 am
timeware wrote: March 30th, 2020, 9:10 pm Dude, all I'm saying is don't freak out . We don't know how long this will last. When this is over dates will change again.
Is that all you were saying? Because to me it seemed like you were trying to do that whole “fake news” thing. Generally speaking, massive multi national corporations like Sony don’t play April Fools Day pranks. And they especially don’t play April fools day jokes in March. During a global crisis.
Not calling it fake news at all.

Again we're a right on top of April's fool's day and we've been down that road before.

How many years have sights made Ghostbusters 3 related jokes including this one? Usually some sights do this early.

Yeah we're still in March, a day away from April's fool's day.

Again I think we're all freaking out about something that could very well change down the road. I'm annoyed if this is firmly set, but it's not final when things will get back to normal.
Kingpin wrote: March 31st, 2020, 11:25 am
deadderek wrote: March 31st, 2020, 11:18 am I wouldn't be surprised if in 2-3 days we're told it's on hold for editing reasons. Makes the most sense.
That feels unlikely. :sigh::eyeroll:
You think it's unlikely being delayed partially because editing isn't being done on it?
This content received too many dislikes. Click SHOW to view
I'm just so tired of the ghostbusters fandom getting shafted. The IP has been mismanaged for decades. They ditched Lorenzo Music in favor of Dave Coullier to voice Peter Venkman on Real Ghostbusters. Extreme Ghostbusters aired on weekdays at 7:00 a.m. when it was first released. Nobody could come up with a decent 3rd movie script for almost 30 years. We got a reboot that was not faithful to the source material. And now this.

I honestly just don't care anymore. This movie may as well never come out. I'm done.
JonXCTrack wrote: March 31st, 2020, 12:06 pm I'm just so tired of the ghostbusters fandom getting shafted. The IP has been mismanaged for decades. They ditched Lorenzo Music in favor of Dave Coullier to voice Peter Venkman on Real Ghostbusters. Extreme Ghostbusters aired on weekdays at 7:00 a.m. when it was first released. Nobody could come up with a decent 3rd movie script for almost 30 years. We got a reboot that was not faithful to the source material. And now this.

I honestly just don't care anymore. This movie may as well never come out. I'm done.
Jesus Christ. I came to check in on how people are reacting on the forums, and this is the first post I read.

There's a worldwide health crisis going on. Get some perspective. The movie is still coming. You're going to stop caring about the franchise because the movie was delayed 8 months due to a worldwide health crisis? Grow up. Seriously.
deadderek, Sav C, RichardLess and 11 others liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: March 31st, 2020, 12:06 pm I'm just so tired of the ghostbusters fandom getting shafted. The IP has been mismanaged for decades. They ditched Lorenzo Music in favor of Dave Coullier to voice Peter Venkman on Real Ghostbusters. Extreme Ghostbusters aired on weekdays at 7:00 a.m. when it was first released. Nobody could come up with a decent 3rd movie script for almost 30 years. We got a reboot that was not faithful to the source material. And now this.

A lot of films are getting delayed because of this pandemic. This type of thing has not happened for 100 years, the film's delay is not a personal slight against this fandom.
deadderek, Sav C, Glenn Frederick and 5 others liked this

...Are you kidding me?

“I didn’t get my way so I’m going to take my ball and go home”

That isn’t how adults are suppose to act. This is a serious crisis. Yes, it sucks the movie was delayed. But come on. People are dying. Losing their jobs. You’ve waited 30 years. Is 12 more months really the deal breaker?
deadderek, Coover5, Glenn Frederick and 6 others liked this
timeware wrote: March 31st, 2020, 11:27 am
RichardLess wrote: March 31st, 2020, 1:17 am

Is that all you were saying? Because to me it seemed like you were trying to do that whole “fake news” thing. Generally speaking, massive multi national corporations like Sony don’t play April Fools Day pranks. And they especially don’t play April fools day jokes in March. During a global crisis.
Not calling it fake news at all.

Again we're a right on top of April's fool's day and we've been down that road before.

How many years have sights made Ghostbusters 3 related jokes including this one? Usually some sights do this early.

Yeah we're still in March, a day away from April's fool's day.

Again I think we're all freaking out about something that could very well change down the road. I'm annoyed if this is firmly set, but it's not final when things will get back to normal.
A release date change can change(just ask “New Mutants”), but the earliest we will see Ghostbusters Afterlife is March 2021. The earliest.

It may change again. But you won’t see the film in 2020. If anyone remembers my post from a couple weeks ago I mentioned them that every studio was doing it’s due diligence. They didn’t arbitrarily pick March 5th.

Personally, I think Sony may have acted a mite early but it’s easy to understand why. And it’s probably a good move. A prudent one. 2021 is going to be packed not only with the regular 2021 releases that were already scheduled, but now all the re scheduled are making their moves. Sony is playing the long odds.

Honestly? I think March is PERFECT. January and February are traditionally dead months. Gives Sony more time to build up hype. They are positioned PERFECTLY to take advantage of the Super Bowl. Not a lot of competition right now. Give the movie time to build word of mouth if the reviews are strong and opening a bit soft. It’s a smart move. It’s the exact date I would’ve picked in 2021, to the day.
pizzarat, devilmanozzy liked this
This content received too many dislikes. Click SHOW to view
RichardLess wrote:

...Are you kidding me?

That isn’t how adults are suppose to act. This is a serious crisis. Yes, it sucks the movie was delayed. But come on. People are dying. Losing their jobs. You’ve waited 30 years. Is 12 more months really the deal breaker?
I never said anything to downplay the COVID19 concerns. You all just made that assumption because you're idiots.

This film doesn't need to be pushed out to March. There's hardly any competition in the month of October, which would be an appropriate time of year to release a film about the supernatural. In fact, Venom 2 is slated for October, and is also produced by Columbia Pictures. They could have moved Venom 2 to March and put Ghostbusters: Afterlife in its place. Further, assuming businesses re-open in May, three months should be enough time to complete the film. So my point stands: Ghostbusters has been mismanaged for decades and the fans are time and again let down. I'm tired of it.
JonXCTrack wrote: March 31st, 2020, 2:29 pm
RichardLess wrote:
...Are you kidding me?

I never said anything to downplay the COVID19 concerns. You all just made that assumption because you're idiots.

This film doesn't need to be pushed out to March. There's hardly any competition in the month of October, which would be an appropriate time of year to release a film about the supernatural. In fact, Venom 2 is slated for October, and is also produced by Columbia Pictures. They could have moved Venom 2 to March and put Ghostbusters: Afterlife in its place. Further, assuming businesses re-open in May, three months should be enough time to complete the film. So my point stands: Ghostbusters has been mismanaged for decades and the fans are time and again let down. I'm tired of it.
Here is a quote about the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918 from the wiki.
The second wave of the 1918 pandemic was much deadlier than the first. The first wave had resembled typical flu epidemics; those most at risk were the sick and elderly, while younger, healthier people recovered easily. By August, when the second wave began in France, Sierra Leone, and the United States, the virus had mutated to a much deadlier form. October 1918 was the deadliest month of the whole pandemic.
seekandannoy, Kingpin, robbritton and 1 others liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: I never said anything to downplay the COVID19 concerns. You all just made that assumption because you're idiots.
There's no reason for you to be throwing insults around when everyone here has been rationale and explained to you why it would be for the best to delay this film during an Epidemic!
timeware, ccv66, zeta otaku and 4 others liked this
deadderek wrote: March 31st, 2020, 11:51 am You think it's unlikely being delayed partially because editing isn't being done on it?
My apologies, I misread that as you suggesting it'd need delays for for reshoots/writes.
RichardLess wrote: March 31st, 2020, 2:23 pmThey are positioned PERFECTLY to take advantage of the Super Bowl.
I'm not expecting them to be any more likely to buy a Super Bowl spot in 2021 than they were in 2020. :P
JonXCTrack wrote: March 31st, 2020, 2:29 pmThis film doesn't need to be pushed out to March.
"Well, for your sake I hope you're right, okay, but I think my other guest may disagree with you. " Image

I'm willing to trust Sony knows what they're doing in this instance, and in the end they want to try protect their investment as much as they can. You may not see any reason for it, but like others have said, the justification seems perfectly logical... Maybe a tad ahead of time, but a little leeway gives them breathing room.

The testing part of the pandemic response is only just gearing up, and look at how far behind America is to Europe, and then compared to the nations closest to China, the testing phase is going to take more than a bit of time, the creation of a vaccine is going to take even more, and then the national vaccination program is going to take even more time after that (not to mention how much time is going to be wasted by the idiotic anti-vaxxer crowd with pointless lawsuits).

Then you have to factor in all the other countries doing their vaccination stages... And that there will be parts of the world which are going to be lagging behind everyone else, and they'll need to be given a good bill of health before we can fully start to relax and start returning to what we consider 'normal'.

Films at the cinema are a luxury that currently has to take a back seat in order to ensure that this virus is stamped down, and remains stamped down... It's disappointing that the movie has to be rescheduled, but it's only postponed, not cancelled... And really, there are higher priorities at the moment.
deadderek, Alphagaia liked this
We should have gotten Ghostbusters 3, 25 years ago. Kind of late to the party to be mad about it now. I wonder though if it would have been like Forrest Gumps shrimp boat, if all the other big movies cancel and Afterlife was the only blockbuster in July, it would have dominated the box office. Considering GB2 got lost in the crowd in '89. I hope they moved back that far because Sony has faith in the movie. I'm definitely expecting something well polished if I have to wait till next year
SpaceBallz wrote: March 31st, 2020, 9:10 am I'm not gonna lie, I'll probably buy the novelization if it came out soon. I'm inpatient like that.
Yes, it's kinda fun to see how writers describe the movie and what they add to it vs. the actual movie. What makes me laugh though is right after a novelization releases, so comes the click bait articles lying they have spoilers of the movie when they simply have the book and are trying to guess what's in the movie and typing up an article.
Glenn Frederick wrote:I'm curious does the March 5th date apply for a worldwide release?
I had been concerned about people having to wait to see the film and the risk of spoilers on social media.
I would guess that's just the U.S. date. It would be nice if they were able to sync the worldwide release on the same day but that seems doubtful.
deadderek wrote: March 31st, 2020, 11:18 am I wouldn't be surprised if in 2-3 days we're told it's on hold for editing reasons. Makes the most sense.
Editing reasons? Ivan Reitman would like a word with you. Ghostbusters 1 AND 2 were written shot and edited in waaaay less time than GBA. GBA started filming in July. Finished in October.

Ghostbusters 2 started filming in November 1988 and was still filming in April 1989. It was released in June. Keep in mind this was during the analog era when everything was edited on a movieola machine.

Plus...it’s only just April. They’ve been editing since October. There’s no way they’d need more time editing unless there’s major problems with the movie.

Speaking of which...

Word on the street is Sony had a test screening weeks ago and the scores were off the chart. I don’t know how true that is, but that’s the word going around.
Sav C, pizzarat, Davideverona and 6 others liked this
RichardLess wrote: March 31st, 2020, 9:28 pm Word on the street is Sony had a test screening weeks ago and the scores were off the chart. I don’t know how true that is, but that’s the word going around.
Spengler went down there and took PKE valances. Went right off the top of the scale. Buried the needle! We're close on this one. I can feel it! :crunch:
Sorry to derail from current discussion, I just wanted to chime in and let everyone know that I'm the creator of all of the Summerville County Ghostbusters social media accounts, and that the point was never to trick anyone into thinking it was a legitimate Sony account.

I am not only in Oklahoma, but I just happen to have both a bunch of GB equipment, and a 1959 M&M ambulance literally collecting dust and rust in the back of my shop, so it seemed really appropriate to take some fun "asthetic" and cryptic photos. But that grew into a larger idea.

I have a specific vision for the accounts, and what Summerville County Ghostbusters as a "franchise" will become(provided we aren't all dead from Coronavirus). Think of them more as a means of storytelling than true social media. So, no interaction with followers and comments outside of providing content. Could that change? Absolutely. It will be an evolving thing for sure.

But mostly, I didn't feel it needed explaining as it should have been clear from the get go it wasn't an official account given it says "A Division of the Central Oklahoma Ghostbusters" right on the profile :-P

Anyway, y'all can back off the conspiricy theories now(not that you haven't already, haha). But I hope everyone will enjoy the content once I'm able to get back to producing more of it. At least now I have a whole extra year to do so :lol:
Sav C, deadderek, pizzarat liked this
Austin wrote: March 31st, 2020, 11:40 pm Sorry to derail from current discussion, I just wanted to chime in and let everyone know that I'm the creator of all of the Summerville County Ghostbusters social media accounts, and that the point was never to trick anyone into thinking it was a legitimate Sony account.

I am not only in Oklahoma, but I just happen to have both a bunch of GB equipment, and a 1959 M&M ambulance literally collecting dust and rust in the back of my shop, so it seemed really appropriate to take some fun "asthetic" and cryptic photos. But that grew into a larger idea.

I have a specific vision for the accounts, and what Summerville County Ghostbusters as a "franchise" will become(provided we aren't all dead from Coronavirus). Think of them more as a means of storytelling than true social media. So, no interaction with followers and comments outside of providing content. Could that change? Absolutely. It will be an evolving thing for sure.

But mostly, I didn't feel it needed explaining as it should have been clear from the get go it wasn't an official account given it says "A Division of the Central Oklahoma Ghostbusters" right on the profile :-P

Anyway, y'all can back off the conspiricy theories now(not that you haven't already, haha). But I hope everyone will enjoy the content once I'm able to get back to producing more of it. At least now I have a whole extra year to do so :lol:
Thanks for clarifying.

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]