By Jaylinb
Okay, I'm new to this site, and I wanted to get the opinions of experts: I found this vehicle languishing by the side of a highway in the middle of nowhere in Texas. Can you tell me if this car resembles one of the real Ecto-1s used in the movies? In other words... I'd like to save this baby from oblivion, but would it be worth the effort?

Ok, thanks! I thought it was different from the one I remembered from the movie, but I wasn't sure if the studio made any others, like different versions that were rejected before production began. Anyway, this poor thing has been rusting away at some old house by the road for years. I'd hate to see it rot, even if it isn't a lost production car. Do you guys think it would be a passable replica if fixed up?
Hmm... I loaded the pictures on my Yahoo briefcase, and then linked them into the post. Try right-clicking on the image box and select "Show Picture."

If that doesn't work... not sure how else to get them up there. I could send the pics to you via email I guess.

I know now this one is far from original since it'sa high-top AND a later year, but I think it has potential as a replica once it's cleaned up and running - new paint job and the roof pieces would be a must.
By Jaylinb
I guess Yahoo briefcase doesn't work well with links. Anyway, here's the pictures from Photobucket..... Thanks Some_Guy!

and 3-quarter view from the back. I can tell now that it's different in many ways from the original Ecto:
By Chace
Looks like a 74 M+M hightop. Its also missing the rear bumper, which would have to come off of another 74 M+M as the coaches used different bumpers than the cars that year (my first hearse was a 74!)
I don't know if i am looking into this too deep or not, but maybe it was left there for a reason.

There is a cross on the other side of the fence where that "ecto" is parked. Maybe it was parked there because the cross in the ground was were the owner or someone who did all/most of the work on it died.
Its possible
there was one of those by my old house, I have a picture of me next to it.
Apparently their son started a replica and then died so they made it a monument to him. They added a big ole seat to the top like the toy and made all these wood cut outs of the ghosts from the show and put them around and on the car. It wasn't accurate but it was neat.
By Jaylinb
Yeah, I was kind of leery of the memorials placed next to it too. The thing has been sitting there on the highway south of Whitsett for a couple of years now. That high top would pose difficulties in fabbing the roof equipment, though I may be able to work around it. I'll see if I can get in touch with the property owner and find out if (s)he'll let me haul it away. At the least it could be a good first project. Body looked mostly straight except for the rust stains on the roof. I am pretty sure the engine is gone from the way the hood is popped ajar. Good riddance anyway, I'd rather get a crate engine than mess with a 70s-era Caddy monster.
And heck, it's already white too. Saves trouble in painting the door jambs. But the rear end... I hate not having the fins like on the '59. Only if I could get it for cheap or free. There was another hearse or ambulance sitting in the driveway of the house (could not tell which, the house was set back from the road). Wish I had taken a picture of that too. Next time I'm in the area I'll find out what I can about this thing. Would seem such a waste to just leave it there.
Thanks again for all of your help. If you're ever at mile marker #75 on I-37, take a gander at it. If it's gone then I probably have it.
I guess I'll chime in here with a huge *LOVE* for high-tops. Especially when they're cheap. We're doing a full roof rack on our high-top. She'll be the tallest thing around. We did briefly consider a set up like Knight used on his high-top. The best thing about high-tops is that you have tons of room. They are the ugly ducklings of the ambulance world but I guess that's what gives them character. Character in an ectomobile is the most important thing. Most vehicles made after the 70's lack alot of character.
Well, I arrived back in town after taking a trip out to take a closer look at the car. No one lives at the house and the gate is locked, but I got an address and then a found a name through searching. And I found out the sad story behind this vehicle. Back in October of 2007, the owner of the car was struck and killed by a drunk driver while looking at the Halloween decorations he'd just finished putting up on his Ecto-1 replica! I really feel bad for his family. No wonder they never moved the car.

I found a link to the original story: http://www.caller.com/news/2007/oct/16/ ... corations/
Jaylinb wrote:Well, I arrived back in town after taking a trip out to take a closer look at the car. No one lives at the house and the gate is locked, but I got an address and then a found a name through searching. And I found out the sad story behind this vehicle. Back in October of 2007, the owner of the car was struck and killed by a drunk driver while looking at the Halloween decorations he'd just finished putting up on his Ecto-1 replica! I really feel bad for his family. No wonder they never moved the car.

I found a link to the original story: http://www.caller.com/news/2007/oct/16/ ... corations/
And you shouldn't move it either.
I had the chance to meet Al and he was a really nice guy. I stopped by because of the Ghostbusters car, which he said was one of the actual cars from the movies. He collected hearses and was very hyped about having so many acres for his haunted house.
Justice is served.
Last edited by Boomerjinks on December 8th, 2008, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaylinb wrote:Well, I arrived back in town after taking a trip out to take a closer look at the car. No one lives at the house and the gate is locked, but I got an address and then a found a name through searching. And I found out the sad story behind this vehicle. Back in October of 2007, the owner of the car was struck and killed by a drunk driver while looking at the Halloween decorations he'd just finished putting up on his Ecto-1 replica! I really feel bad for his family. No wonder they never moved the car.

Wow, did I call it or what?

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]