Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
By mrmichaelt
Another egg
This Post Contains Spoilers
And if you're in Vancouver this weekend, Dan Schoening will be at Fan Expo at P24 in East Building Halls B&C. Map here. He might even have some WIPs of pages from upcoming issues to show. So butter him up if you're going. ;)
By Razorgeist
Another great issue I love what you're doing with the characters. I particularly like how you had Kylie tell off the Doctor while investigating Janosz. She's got a bit more spunk than her EGB counterpart (I hate spunk...eh never mind) . Dan's artwork also really ads to her spunk. Speaking of which Dan once again you outdid yourself. I loved the little Caddyshack cameos. Here's lookin to next week.
By vigo_the_butch
Just finished the last few issues, and Ive gotta say what an amazing job the team has done for the ghostbusters franchise. It has totally amped up my love for GB, and i didn't think that was possible. I hope this series goes on for years.

They really should look at branching off into different science fiction series, I think they could pull off a back to the future story. I would be happy with a short lived mini series taking place after the BTTF game.
By Kingpin
Well, another month gone and another issue of The New Ghostbusters.
mrmichaelt liked this
By mrmichaelt
Kingpin wrote:Well, another month gone and another issue of The New Ghostbusters.
You are 100x better than me at New York geography trivia. ;)
By Kingpin
mrmichaelt wrote:You are 100x better than me at New York geography trivia. ;)
Heh, I'm just an obsessive.

Seriously though, I'm very impressed that Dan's been making a concious effort to depict real New York locations whenever he can. Nobody would've held it against him for making most of it up... but he's gone that extra mile to make it all feel authentic, and that rocks. :)
By Erik Burnham
Having fun looking up ghosts for the next arc. Thought about a scandinavian ghost... that's totally corporeal. But that's closer to a zombie or vampire (or, in some respects, to Laura Parr) so I nixed that.

There were a couple of others I was looking at. Maybe I'll go back to voodoo.
YoZiggy liked this
By Razorgeist
Erik Burnham wrote:Having fun looking up ghosts for the next arc. Thought about a scandinavian ghost... that's totally corporeal. But that's closer to a zombie or vampire (or, in some respects, to Laura Parr) so I nixed that.

Maybe some slavic spooks would work.
By robbritton
it doesn't add much to say, but still feel I ought to congratulate you guys on maintaining such a high level of quality! The latest issue is fantastic, and the series remains one of the highlights of every month! Cheers!
mrmichaelt liked this
By mrmichaelt
Erik Burnham wrote:Having fun looking up ghosts for the next arc. Thought about a scandinavian ghost... that's totally corporeal. But that's closer to a zombie or vampire (or, in some respects, to Laura Parr) so I nixed that.

Just my two cents, how about some Asian or Australian lore for the next one?
By Erik Burnham
Maybe. I don't want to say too much about the stuff I've found and like, you guys are too sharp, you'll catch on!

I was also looking into African lore (working back from some of the Voodoo stuff.) Also: south american (which I nixed because Scarlet Spider is playing with that mythology!) (:
mrmichaelt liked this
By mrmichaelt
Erik Burnham wrote:Maybe. I don't want to say too much about the stuff I've found and like, you guys are too sharp, you'll catch on!

I was also looking into African lore (working back from some of the Voodoo stuff.) Also: south american (which I nixed because Scarlet Spider is playing with that mythology!) (:
That's cool.

Perhaps just a modest suggestion: the Bunyip. Plus it sounds funny when you say it out loud. You want to.
Razorgeist wrote:Looks like Dan will be able to give the undying one a cameo.
What, you didn't like his cameo in #11? j/k But idk, I'm actually kind of leery of having too many lifts from the cartoons. It sorta saps creativity in a way (i.e. Eh, lemme just use that guy from that episode in season 3 instead of doing a new pseduo-mythology). Not that I'm saying that's what's happening right now on the book, it's a happy balance right now.
By zeta otaku
ok, this may sound REALLY stupid, but what year is the book currently in? I remember vaguely it being stated that it took place in 1993. The second volume opens up in late fall/winter with the cold weather in NYC, then the boys go missing for a few hours/months (depending on the point of view), and with the girls running around in shorts, I can only assume it was warm enough for them to be doing so which leads me to believe it's spring or summer., which, assuming the first series took place within the second half of 93, leads the second volume to be in 94.
By mrmichaelt
zeta otaku wrote:ok, this may sound REALLY stupid, but what year is the book currently in? I remember vaguely it being stated that it took place in 1993. The second volume opens up in late fall/winter with the cold weather in NYC, then the boys go missing for a few hours/months (depending on the point of view), and with the girls running around in shorts, I can only assume it was warm enough for them to be doing so which leads me to believe it's spring or summer., which, assuming the first series took place within the second half of 93, leads the second volume to be in 94.
Well, historically Erik and co. hates pinning the series to a year and Tristan joked 1994 (but it turned out to work really well for me when I was typing up a timeline so I ran with it). From my interpretation - Ghostbusters: Infestation is late 1993, Ongoing Series Volume One takes place from Spring 1994 to December 1994 (before Christmas), and Volume Two starts around Valentine's Day 1995 and skips three months to May 1995. Officially - a vague, contemporary present, and +1 years have passed. Unofficially, from one guy late 1993 to May 1995 so far.
By zeta otaku
Lol yeah. Knew it was the 90s just didn't know how far into the 90s we've gotten. So we're mid 95ish now. Good to know. Thanks guys.
By Erik Burnham
Well, we've seen what the guys use for cellphones. We also know Ray juiced those up. Someone in the background on their latest smartphone may wonder why the GBs are using such old models (not knowing that the old suckers are jacked up practically to free sat-phone level!)

As far as you know, anyway. (;
zeta otaku, YoZiggy liked this
By Erik Burnham
But really, the relative timelessness of the first film is something I love. The second film said "five years later," and if it had left it at that, it would have been fine. But putting specific dates in it hurt it a little.

The stories are meant to be taking place "now." (Only the video game was a period piece.) The first movie works best for that. You can always point out specific things that date it, but they're easily glossed over and it holds up.
By John Stevens 87
I'm loving the NEW Ghostbusters,but i love all of the little (Easter-eggs) you guys put in the comics.It's amazing how you all keep the characters fresh & strong.No criticism from me...the only bad thing is after i've done reading i'm always left wanting more :)
By Carnacki
Erik Burnham wrote:But really, the relative timelessness of the first film is something I love. The second film said "five years later," and if it had left it at that, it would have been fine. But putting specific dates in it hurt it a little.

The stories are meant to be taking place "now." (Only the video game was a period piece.) The first movie works best for that. You can always point out specific things that date it, but they're easily glossed over and it holds up.
While I agree with you that the first movie has a timelessness to it, there is no denying the decade its events take place in. Same with Ghostbusters II and the video game. I always felt that if you took the Ghostbusters out of their time and placed them in the present day, you disconnect them from the continuity that has been set up with the movies and game. So if there are smart phones and Blu-Ray players in the comic book while the guys are (relatively) the same age in the first two movies, and a third movie is eventually released (god I hope!!), it would be hard to link the comic books back to the films. I always feel that you can make it timeless while still adhering to a *general* year range (like 1994-1996 or so).

Of course, this is with all due respect, Mr. Burnham, as I am enjoying your writing IMMENSELY. I cannot stop raving about your and Dan's work on this. I look forward to next month's issue!
By Erik Burnham
Like I said, it was taking place now. But now is now then, not now, which will also be then... and soon. (To paraphrase a moment from another movie I dig.)

The best way to make it timeless is to ignore the year, and suggest it could be just as easily be an always now (like Spider-Man, Superman, and all of the superheroes have done it.) Digital cameras and DVD players and more have seeped into the panels, after all! (Accidents, but still.)

Just because it's an always "now," though, doesn't mean we need to push the issue (like making sure all the technology is strictly up to date. Just because I said a guy a block away might be fiddling with a smartphone - as far as you know - doesn't mean it needs to be explicitly pointed out!)

Strict timelines fuss with the ability to do things like holiday stories, for example, without people asking "another year's gone by now -- why aren't they getting older? Or why aren't they reacting to THIS?"

The actors will age, the characters won't -- otherwise, there are only so many stories that can be told before you either have to start over or say "this is the end of their adventures."

We don't show the WTC. Is it post 2001, or is it respect? Or maybe we were asked not to? (We weren't, before anyone jumps on that, I'm just throwing out a hypothetical.) (:

At the end of the day, don't get stuck on the year. The ONLY WAY it would EVER MATTER is if they do a third movie, at which point we would either be fully be a period piece, or be relegated to an alternate universe created when Ray blew something up.

It's all good. (:
YoZiggy liked this
By philmorgan81
Erik, I just love the statement you made. "The Actors will age, The Characters won't." That sums up the way I feel. I personally feel that the stories you guys are telling are more important than when it's supposed to take place. Like you said the characters are timeless and that's the feeling I get from this book. I really enjoy the stories and I love how well both the new and old characters are represented. I always look forward to every new issue. Thank you guys so much for your incredible work.
By Erik Burnham
Thanks!

I don't want to totally sound like I'm dismissing folks who want a fixed date out of hand, either. If Sony decides this is all canon, then it would likely be set in the early 90s.

Being canon would also mean a whole lot more things would wind up on the "never gonna happen" list, I reckon, too. (:
By Fritz
Fritz Babbles About Ghostbusters #3 (or #19 if you've really been paying attention)
See everybody next month.
YoZiggy liked this
By mrmichaelt
Erik Burnham wrote:We don't show the WTC. Is it post 2001, or is it respect? Or maybe we were asked not to? (We weren't, before anyone jumps on that, I'm just throwing out a hypothetical.) (:
What you said is all good but this one line made me wonder if you are honoring or ignoring a small piece from The Video Game (the Realistic Versions), the WTC 'vanished' between 1990 and 1991 and is related to an off-screen bust that led to the guys getting a third Key to the City. Since I remember you cherry pick what you want from TVG (all versions).
By mrmichaelt
Ghostbusters Volume 2, Issue #1 second printing on sale this week!
Erik Burnham wrote:I'd completely forgotten that part of the game, to be honest!
Well, it was a minute thing that skankerzero revealed (I think) here. Just the fact in the opening cut scene, the WTC is missing so fans naturally questioned it. And it was revealed something like the 9/11 PC-ness overruled the crew even though the story was set in 1991, so skanker threw in that third Key to the City to create an in-universe explanation.

At some point, probably just better off opening up[…]

Spengler/84 wand Gun Track

So...I had more than a little problem with dis[…]

Preview for #2 on DH's page. https://www.darkhors[…]

PKE Meter build project!

DO you have this files on sale?