Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Opening the film with Egon would be a mistake. You’d be opening a comedy with a real downer. “Hey here’s the dead ghostbuster that won’t be in 90% of this movie brought back to life with iffy probably janky CGI”

I think a great opening would be for some event happening in Summerville. Some scary event. Teenagers making out near the mine and shit goes down. It’s a local spot for make out parties. It goes badly. Cut to far away. Ray Stanz(whose face we maybe don’t see) is busy tinkering with something in his bookstore. Suddenly we hear a familiar sound. He hears it too. He slowly walks towards an old desk, opens the drawer and peeks inside. We see his face for the first time now. An expression of excitement and almost sadness appears across his face. He picks up the device inside the drawer. It’s a PKe meter and it’s going batshit off the charts. And then it dies(symbolism). No readings. No nothing.

Ray reluctantly puts the PKE meter back inside the drawer(more symbolism). He starts to walk away, resigned to the fact that this may have been a malfunction or blip, but then we hear the noise again, cut to Ray as a big smile comes across his face. We hear the familiar opening to the Ghostbusters theme song…as the paranormal enters the world once again.
BatDan, Dr.D, Davideverona and 1 others liked this
I still think the opening beat will be in the past, with the miners that built the temple. Some sort of paranormal event will happen and we'll left to assume that is how the miners perished. A monument will be built in their honor, which will pop up in the film later on.
RichardLess wrote: September 16th, 2021, 1:27 pm Opening the film with Egon would be a mistake. You’d be opening a comedy with a real downer. “Hey here’s the dead ghostbuster that won’t be in 90% of this movie brought back to life with iffy probably janky CGI”

I think a great opening would be for some event happening in Summerville. Some scary event. Teenagers making out near the mine and shit goes down. It’s a local spot for make out parties. It goes badly. Cut to far away. Ray Stanz(whose face we maybe don’t see) is busy tinkering with something in his bookstore. Suddenly we hear a familiar sound. He hears it too. He slowly walks towards an old desk, opens the drawer and peeks inside. We see his face for the first time now. An expression of excitement and almost sadness appears across his face. He picks up the device inside the drawer. It’s a PKe meter and it’s going batshit off the charts. And then it dies(symbolism). No readings. No nothing.

Ray reluctantly puts the PKE meter back inside the drawer(more symbolism). He starts to walk away, resigned to the fact that this may have been a malfunction or blip, but then we hear the noise again, cut to Ray as a big smile comes across his face. We hear the familiar opening to the Ghostbusters theme song…as the paranormal enters the world once again.
I really like it.

But I still think that the hand who holds the pke belongs to Egon.
Alphagaia, SpaceBallz liked this
I just can't see them actually showing Egon in any way...not as a ghost, not even with a body double and obscuring his face. I don't think Jason and Ivan would take that kind of liberty with the character, not with Ramis gone and not able to have a say in it. And it's a fine line to walk between being sweet/touching and coming off as cheesy or tacky (because every fan will know it's not really him). We know he'll be shown in pictures and that video clip, and is central to the story and in a way will live on through the younger characters, and I think that's enough.

(Of course, I could be entirely wrong about all of that)
Sav C liked this
Hairy Biker wrote: September 16th, 2021, 3:45 pm Maybe its not Ray or Egon.
That could easily be Grooberson in his blazer from his date... Yeah I don't by that either...
You may actually be on to something here. I went back and took a look at the lapels and cuffs on his jacket in the mini-pufts teaser and compared them with the PKE clip in trailer 2. It's close...but still too hard to call.
It's clearly an older looking hand.

NEW interview with Sigourney Weaver with ET Canada discussing Ghostbusters: Afterlife briefly:

Last edited by Kingpin on September 17th, 2021, 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added YouTube code
SpaceBallz, Davideverona, Kingpin and 3 others liked this
There's no way that all these original characters are coming back just for cameos, that'd be a lot of 30+year character development to squeeze into a 10-15 minute cameo.
zeta otaku, pizzarat, BatDan and 2 others liked this
Davideverona wrote: September 16th, 2021, 11:19 pm So, time is gnawing away our dear September and we're nearing the last month of buildup to the movie.
Official poster, when??? Last trailer, when??? 😁
When will then be now?
Soon!

My money is around the 8th of next month, as they will also be releasing new clips that day.
JonXCTrack wrote: September 17th, 2021, 8:14 am I'd imagine that a new trailer would be released with the new Venom movie, but if not, then certainly by the end of October.
I was thinking either Venom or Bond, then I thought, nah both of those would be too soon for a third trailer, the last one just came out. Then I realized it's been almost 2 months since the last trailer. This movie continues to bend time for me.
deadderek liked this
starang11 wrote:
JonXCTrack wrote: September 17th, 2021, 8:14 am I'd imagine that a new trailer would be released with the new Venom movie, but if not, then certainly by the end of October.
I was thinking either Venom or Bond, then I thought, nah both of those would be too soon for a third trailer, the last one just came out. Then I realized it's been almost 2 months since the last trailer. This movie continues to bend time for me.
Yeah, the last 2 years has just been both a blur and taken forever at the same time. It's weird.
deadderek liked this
starang11 wrote: September 16th, 2021, 3:31 pm I just can't see them actually showing Egon in any way...not as a ghost, not even with a body double and obscuring his face. I don't think Jason and Ivan would take that kind of liberty with the character, not with Ramis gone and not able to have a say in it. And it's a fine line to walk between being sweet/touching and coming off as cheesy or tacky (because every fan will know it's not really him). We know he'll be shown in pictures and that video clip, and is central to the story and in a way will live on through the younger characters, and I think that's enough.

Personally, I'm okay with seeing Egon represented on screen as long as it doesn't involve bringing Harold back using CGI. I'm fine with a body double whose face we never see. I have also been saying since 2019 that it feels like that footage Jason had unearthed from the original movie seems like a pretty obvious way to get him in the movie without creating anything new, but repurposing material of Harold that already exists.
SpaceBallz wrote: September 16th, 2021, 7:49 pm There's no way that all these original characters are coming back just for cameos, that'd be a lot of 30+year character development to squeeze into a 10-15 minute cameo.
10-15 minutes isn't a cameo, though. 10-15 minutes apiece amongst Bill, Dan, Ernie, Sigourney, and Annie is significant time in the film from the original cast. 1-2 minutes is a cameo.

Anthony Hopkins is only in The Silence of the Lambs for 15 minutes. It's all in how the time is deployed and how it's used.
deadderek, robbritton liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: September 18th, 2021, 11:15 pm Is Eric laughing that we're spending so much time analyzing the hand? :P
One of my favorite moments with Eric was thinking I found an Easter Egg when IGN released all those pictures.

I messaged him because I had spotted the "mystery person" next to the Ecto.

His 1st response was a facepalm emoji. For some reason that cracked me up.

He thanked me for pointing it out, and said it was a crew member there accidentally.

Subsequent versions of the pic released they removed the crew member.
Davideverona, mrmichaelt, Sav C and 2 others liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: September 18th, 2021, 1:21 pm
starang11 wrote: September 16th, 2021, 3:31 pm I just can't see them actually showing Egon in any way...not as a ghost, not even with a body double and obscuring his face. I don't think Jason and Ivan would take that kind of liberty with the character, not with Ramis gone and not able to have a say in it. And it's a fine line to walk between being sweet/touching and coming off as cheesy or tacky (because every fan will know it's not really him). We know he'll be shown in pictures and that video clip, and is central to the story and in a way will live on through the younger characters, and I think that's enough.

Personally, I'm okay with seeing Egon represented on screen as long as it doesn't involve bringing Harold back using CGI. I'm fine with a body double whose face we never see. I have also been saying since 2019 that it feels like that footage Jason had unearthed from the original movie seems like a pretty obvious way to get him in the movie without creating anything new, but repurposing material of Harold that already exists.
SpaceBallz wrote: September 16th, 2021, 7:49 pm There's no way that all these original characters are coming back just for cameos, that'd be a lot of 30+year character development to squeeze into a 10-15 minute cameo.
10-15 minutes isn't a cameo, though. 10-15 minutes apiece amongst Bill, Dan, Ernie, Sigourney, and Annie is significant time in the film from the original cast. 1-2 minutes is a cameo.

Anthony Hopkins is only in The Silence of the Lambs for 15 minutes. It's all in how the time is deployed and how it's used.
They did that for Rise of Skywalker, they repurposed cut footage, and it’s awkward as hell. It takes you right out of the movie. You can see how they reversed engineered the scene, the dialogue is stilted. It was wrong. It felt contrived. Because it was.

I know they won’t, but just leave it alone. I’ve yet to see quality recreations of actors that have passed away. It doesn’t work because the audience knows the actor is dead. So right away our eyes start to wander and look for the seams & it takes you right out of the immersive nature film is suppose to have. Rogue One, every time Tarkin appeared I thought “Wow. Cool effect” No matter what they do, it takes you out of the scene. Even deep fakes or the de aging takes you out of the scene, at least at first. But for actors that have passed away? I just don’t think it’s worth it.
Sav C liked this
deadderek wrote: September 19th, 2021, 12:20 am
One of my favorite moments with Eric was thinking I found an Easter Egg when IGN released all those pictures.

I messaged him because I had spotted the "mystery person" next to the Ecto.
Yeah, thanks for verifying that one with Erich.

I'm still looking forward to seeing whether or not the bottles are a hat tip to old school myths about trapping evil spirits.
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]