Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
deadderek wrote: July 25th, 2020, 2:30 am I sincerely hope the film stays closer to the tone of Ghostbusters 1 instead of the very watered down sequel.
Even 2 went for the epididymis and gynaecological test gags, which are arguably more adult than the innuendo of 1!
Alphagaia, Sav C, Corey91 liked this
Alphagaia wrote: July 25th, 2020, 9:41 am Isn't that also the one where Hot Janine holds a magnifying snow globe or something between her thighs when she seduces Tully?
You mean #mostuncomfortablesceneoftheentirefranchise?

If memory serves it was a glass paperweight, which kinda looked like a crystal ball.
Alphagaia, robbritton liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 10:07 pm It's definitely possible that Bill & Ted 3 will open the gates for more movies to go to digital, but keep in mind: Bill & Ted 3 cost $25m, and Ghostbusters: Afterlife probably cost roughly 4 times that amount. Trolls 2, one of, if not the most profitable VOD premiere of all time, made about $90m its opening weekend. Analysts said it was possible it could hit $200m, but Universal never confirmed it even reached that milestone. $90m alone would be great for Bill & Ted 3, but anything less than $280m would be bad for Ghostbusters: Afterlife.

Also, not to jinx it, but with A Quiet Place Part II and Top Gun: Maverick just announced tonight as having settled into roughly full-year delays, I would start emotionally preparing to wait until July 2021.
I'm completely fine with the movie being delayed again to July 2021. The March date just spooks me for the all-important box office numbers, and it doesn't feel like the right time of year for such a film to be released.

And for the people concerned about AMC (I work at Dreamscape), they recently made a deal that will keep them alive until at least next year.
Alphagaia liked this
I can't imagine how hard this wait must be for the people who didn't like ATC.

I mean, I already find the wait for any news very hard, but at least I had something new these last few years to watch endlessly to catch all the details and rejoice into deleted scenes and such.

Stay strong and healthy everyone!
My 5 year old keeps asking me when Ghostbusters 3 is coming out. I told him hopefully before he turns 10.
robbritton, Alphagaia, deadderek and 2 others liked this
Kingpin wrote: July 25th, 2020, 10:24 am
Alphagaia wrote: July 25th, 2020, 9:41 am Isn't that also the one where Hot Janine holds a magnifying snow globe or something between her thighs when she seduces Tully?
You mean #mostuncomfortablesceneoftheentirefranchise?

If memory serves it was a glass paperweight, which kinda looked like a crystal ball.
I'm bored to the point where I can easily turn this conversation into a dirty joke, but it will probably derail the thread fairly quickly. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.
Alphagaia wrote: July 25th, 2020, 11:45 am I can't imagine how hard this wait must be for the people who didn't like ATC.

I mean, I already find the wait for any news very hard, but at least I had something new these last few years to watch endlessly to catch all the details and rejoice into deleted scenes and such.

Man. I‘m just happy we are getting this movie at all and that they made it. I’ve shared this before but I remember going into the “show & tell” portion of my school day and sharing that I had seen a news report on a Ghostbusters 3 movie that should be in theatres summer of 1999. That was 1997. 1997! 23 years ago. That’s blows my mind. Ever since then I’ve been following the news. Every bread crumb, every rumour, every time Dan Aykroyd opened his mouth.

And it’s real now. The movie exists somewhere. We’ve seen some footage from it. And Once it opens...it’s all over. That journey is done. That chapter of my life is closed. I finally got to see it. Now don’t get me wrong, every fibre of my being wants to see this movie. But I can’t help but smile that the process is still ongoing. There is road still in front of me. The journey continues. I’m sure we’ve all been looking forward to some version of GB3 and when we didn’t get that movie and got GB16 instead...it hurt. I know. I know. “Man Baby” and all that. But here we are. Out of the ashes of GB16 we got an actual sequel. The chase continues. And I love the chase. Boy do I love the chase.
robbritton, Wafflerobot, Alphagaia and 2 others liked this
RichardLess wrote: July 25th, 2020, 8:08 pm
Alphagaia wrote: July 25th, 2020, 11:45 am I can't imagine how hard this wait must be for the people who didn't like ATC.

Man. I‘m just happy we are getting this movie at all and that they made it. I’ve shared this before but I remember going into the “show & tell” portion of my school day and sharing that I had seen a news report on a Ghostbusters 3 movie that should be in theatres summer of 1999. That was 1997. 1997! 23 years ago. That’s blows my mind. Ever since then I’ve been following the news. Every bread crumb, every rumour, every time Dan Aykroyd opened his mouth.

And it’s real now. The movie exists somewhere. We’ve seen some footage from it. And Once it opens...it’s all over. That journey is done. That chapter of my life is closed. I finally got to see it. Now don’t get me wrong, every fibre of my being wants to see this movie. But I can’t help but smile that the process is still ongoing. There is road still in front of me. The journey continues. I’m sure we’ve all been looking forward to some version of GB3 and when we didn’t get that movie and got GB16 instead...it hurt. I know. I know. “Man Baby” and all that. But here we are. Out of the ashes of GB16 we got an actual sequel. The chase continues. And I love the chase. Boy do I love the chase.
Ah 1997, Men in Black, The Lost World, Titanic, Face-off, Con-Air, Air force One, Lair Lair...
Wafflerobot, Kingpin liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: July 24th, 2020, 12:10 amHmm. I remember Dan Aykroyd was saying the budget was going to be under $100 million. I think he said between 50 and a 100. He was talking to CTV last year around early summer I believe.
He definitely said they were keeping the budget down, but it's very unlikely that they kept it all the way down at $50m. I doubt they spent less than $75m.
RichardLess wrote: July 24th, 2020, 3:05 am Ghostbusters Afterlife will not go to digital first. Sony will delay to 2022 before releasing it on digital.
For the record, the point of my post was to reiterate that it's very unlikely the movie will go to digital.
deadderek wrote: July 24th, 2020, 10:12 pm It's strange to me the only active content we're getting is clips from the 1st 2 movies every few days on Youtube.
Sony has to be careful not to make it feel like the marketing for Afterlife lasted a year and a half. I don't think we'll see anything new that's substantial until it's clear the movie is definitely going to open on whatever date they're at by then, and then the whole marketing machine will finally restart in earnest.
deadderek wrote: July 25th, 2020, 2:30 am I sincerely hope the film stays closer to the tone of Ghostbusters 1 instead of the very watered down sequel.
Depends on what you mean by that. I definitely look at the trailers and see a movie that's probably going to be aimed at a four-quadrant audience, which today is going to be more family friendly than a 1984 PG.
RichardLess wrote: July 25th, 2020, 8:08 pmI’m sure we’ve all been looking forward to some version of GB3
Yeah! I got one in 2016 and now I'm getting another...
droidguy1119 wrote: July 26th, 2020, 12:15 am
mrmichaelt wrote: July 24th, 2020, 12:10 amHmm. I remember Dan Aykroyd was saying the budget was going to be under $100 million. I think he said between 50 and a 100. He was talking to CTV last year around early summer I believe.
He definitely said they were keeping the budget down, but it's very unlikely that they kept it all the way down at $50m. I doubt they spent less than $75m.
RichardLess wrote: July 24th, 2020, 3:05 am Ghostbusters Afterlife will not go to digital first. Sony will delay to 2022 before releasing it on digital.
For the record, the point of my post was to reiterate that it's very unlikely the movie will go to digital.
deadderek wrote: July 24th, 2020, 10:12 pm It's strange to me the only active content we're getting is clips from the 1st 2 movies every few days on Youtube.
Sony has to be careful not to make it feel like the marketing for Afterlife lasted a year and a half. I don't think we'll see anything new that's substantial until it's clear the movie is definitely going to open on whatever date they're at by then, and then the whole marketing machine will finally restart in earnest.
Depends on what you mean by that. I definitely look at the trailers and see a movie that's probably going to be aimed at a four-quadrant audience, which today is going to be more family friendly than a 1984 PG.
RichardLess wrote: July 25th, 2020, 8:08 pmI’m sure we’ve all been looking forward to some version of GB3
Yeah! I got one in 2016 and now I'm getting another...

Noted for the record but I Don’t think I was replying to any post of yours.
pizzarat liked this
Dr.D wrote: July 24th, 2020, 2:30 pm I can guarantee you, every single exec out here in LA wants to have the movie that brings people back to theaters. And yes Ghostbusters is very well poised to be that movie. They want people to see this in theaters.
That's an interesting point, and one that personally made me feel quite optimistic. Ghostbusters won't just be your regular tent pole (I'm not particularly in tune with the movie landscape, but I gather that Sony has a lot riding on this film (although maybe not as much as ATC)), but one of the few tent poles symbolizing a return to normalcy.
I've watched social distancing become a thing, then slowly become a political thing. The last month I have observed it being far less being a thing. That is very bad.

I am not interested in explaining my views any further. But the likelyhood of GB:AL seeing a release in America in March of 2021 is about 75% likely and is dropping. The Pandemic will be a thing for atleast the spring of 2021. How people treat social distancing and the guidelines will very much affect if America will ever see Ghostbusters: Afterlife in (seated) theaters.

Like noted before by others, "theaters" might in themselves be unable to operate in March 2021. Drive-ins might get it alone, pretty much with no hope of getting back the budget of the film. If so, then digital will be the first viewing for most. Best of luck to the rest of the world, which has a better chance than the states.

I don't see Sony holding on to the film past the spring. They gotta move forward too, at some point. If Ghostbusters: Afterlife had such a low budget, then it will be better to sacrifice it, in their eyes.
Dr.D liked this
devilmanozzy wrote: July 28th, 2020, 6:28 am I've watched social distancing become a thing, then slowly become a political thing. The last month I have observed it being far less being a thing. That is very bad.

I am not interested in explaining my views any further. But the likelyhood of GB:AL seeing a release in America in March of 2021 is about 75% likely and is dropping. The Pandemic will be a thing for atleast the spring of 2021. How people treat social distancing and the guidelines will very much affect if America will ever see Ghostbusters: Afterlife in (seated) theaters.
I've noticed that as well, which is unfortunate. Wearing a mask at work for eight hours in a row, for me, is a no-brainer. I find it practically effortless, but I think I may be alone in that sentiment (only one of my coworkers has been wearing masks partially, since she thinks a mandate (corporate or otherwise) is coming, and she wants to be ready when it does). Maintaining social distancing, on the other hand, has been much more challenging, since it takes much more effort to maintain six feet of space than I would expect. However, if every time someone gets five feet close to me, I think, Ghostbusters is on the line here, maybe I'll do a better job at keeping my distance.
deadderek liked this
I do not envy the studio execs position

Say come December and parts of the world are doing OK while others are going into a second or third wave.

Do you say go with all the promotions for a March release or do you push it back even more? Do you hope you can put it in theaters in March and maybe stream it for those countries that are locked down?

Also without a vaccine will the theaters be full or half full or 1/4 full? And this is locations that can open.

I know I do not want to be indoors for several hours if I do not have to be.

Also if the theaters do reopen will they be able to survive with less than half full showings?

I sure hope they bring out a safe vaccine soon.

To try and bring this thread back to about the movie. This came to me one night and is completely out there so I thought why not share.

Mr Gooberson releases something from the trap
It turns out to be some remnants of a Terror Dog
It is too weak to solidify so it seeks something that will let him change
It homes in on Dana who was a Terror Dog and binds with her
Dana feels herself changing and tells Venkman (who is with her at the time)
Venkman manages to put a tracker on her before she completely changes and runs out
Venkman calls the rest of the GBs for help before they go after her.
Note: I new thought just occurred. Venkman gets knocked out when the Terror Dog escapes and last we see he is unconcious in the hospital. Not able to get a rescue party together yet.

I thought it was a good way of getting Dana really involved in the movie and the rest of the GBs
The Janine story I am not sure about.
Sav C liked this
Styrofoam_Guy wrote:I do not envy the studio execs position

Say come December and parts of the world are doing OK while others are going into a second or third wave.

Do you say go with all the promotions for a March release or do you push it back even more? Do you hope you can put it in theaters in March and maybe stream it for those countries that are locked down?

Also without a vaccine will the theaters be full or half full or 1/4 full? And this is locations that can open.

I know I do not want to be indoors for several hours if I do not have to be.

Also if the theaters do reopen will they be able to survive with less than half full showings?

I sure hope they bring out a safe vaccine soon.

To try and bring this thread back to about the movie. This came to me one night and is completely out there so I thought why not share.

Mr Gooberson releases something from the trap
It turns out to be some remnants of a Terror Dog
It is too weak to solidify so it seeks something that will let him change
It homes in on Dana who was a Terror Dog and binds with her
Dana feels herself changing and tells Venkman (who is with her at the time)
Venkman manages to put a tracker on her before she completely changes and runs out
Venkman calls the rest of the GBs for help before they go after her.
Note: I new thought just occurred. Venkman gets knocked out when the Terror Dog escapes and last we see he is unconcious in the hospital. Not able to get a rescue party together yet.

I thought it was a good way of getting Dana really involved in the movie and the rest of the GBs
The Janine story I am not sure about.
Great Thoughts. Very interesting take. I love to speculate with others. From what I can see in the trailer I am getting the impression that muncher is the one in the ghost trap. The blue light we see could be an indication that the internal battery could be starting to fail. Maybe Mr Grooberson can see something that indicates a problem, and he deduces that he might be able to get power to it if he hooks it up to his car on the school grounds. Unfortunately that's when the malfunction happens. Grooberson is obviously knocked down and you can see him watching the ghost fly in a direction. I believe Phoebe goes after muncher on foot at school and that is where we see that scene where Phoebe is on a schoolbus and Muncher flys by and destroys the windows. I believe all these scenes lead up to Phoebe, Trevor and Logan chasing Muncher in the Ecto 1.

I believe that most of what we have seen in the trailer is within the first 25 minutes of the movie. I have no idea of the movies runtime yet, but if it's at least an hour and half that still leaves quite a bit of movie.

I have no idea how and why the original crew show up but I am 100% sure that they will be involved in the finale. Of the scenes that we have seen those are the only ones that I can put a cohesive context to. I also have no idea how the Terror dog shows up, but I am super excited that one clearly does. :):):)
pizzarat liked this
Fanmade. Good work, too.

The more I dug in to it, the more it sounded like it's based off of credible intel... but should be embargoed. I struck the post accordingly. Turns out the OP also contacted me on here asking for it to be pulled, which I'm happy to respect.

The original post said something like "since the cat is out of the bag..." Given that, it didn't initially occur to me that there could be an issue with sharing the images. I figured I was out of the loop and got excited. Figured I must have missed a new image or video clip, given my less frequent visits to these forums.

So... sorry for all the mystery, but I don't want anyone getting in trouble due to my over enthusiastic search for new content from film.

Sav C, Kingpin liked this
groschopf wrote: July 29th, 2020, 3:27 pm Fanmade. Good work, too.

The more I dug in to it, the more it sounded like it's based off of credible intel... but should be embargoed. I struck the post accordingly. Turns out the OP also contacted me on here asking for it to be pulled, which I'm happy to respect.

The original post said something like "since the cat is out of the bag..." Given that, it didn't initially occur to me that there could be an issue with sharing the images. I figured I was out of the loop and got excited. Figured I must have missed a new image or video clip, given my less frequent visits to these forums.

So... sorry for all the mystery, but I don't want anyone getting in trouble due to my over enthusiastic search for new content from film.

Did I missed something?
pizzarat wrote:on FB a fan posted a picture of their Afterlife-inspired pack, but they apparently didn't want it shared. It looks really cool though. They clearly spent a lot of time and money on it.
Didn't want it shared? Better post it on 1 of the world's largest social media sites!
mrmichaelt, pizzarat, Coover5 and 1 others liked this
groschopf wrote: July 29th, 2020, 3:27 pm Fanmade. Good work, too.

Oh god...that scene. It’s always awkward when you’re in a movie theatre watching a comedy and there’s just silence during a part that’s suppose to be funny.

Comedies really depend on the audience. I remember I saw a movie once, I think it was Clerks 2, and everyone in the theatre, myself included, was laughing like crazy. So it comes out on DVD and I go to rewatch it with some friends who hadn’t seen it and....nothing. I was embarrassed for recommending it. How could I have found any of this funny?

The opposite ended up happening with Team America. I saw it in theatres and no one was laughing. Watched it on DVD and laughed my ass off.

That’s why I usually give a movie, unless it’s truly horrid, 2 watches to form an opinion. Because you never know. You could be in a bad mood or tired and that affects your experience.

I’ve lost count on how many times I’ve tried GB16. God knows I tried. Oh man.
pizzarat, Corey91 liked this
The Video Game Lifegard

Chris Hunt in the Facebook Group 3D Printed Ghostb[…]

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]