Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Alphagaia wrote: April 7th, 2021, 8:57 am Could be! It connects the dots. This scene probably takes place at night, as the store seems very empty. Rudd probably flees the scene and end up meeting the dog in the parking lot.

Is he the 'friend' getting possessed?
If so, looking at his clothes and freshly shaved beard, is he one his way to a date?
If so, does he try a dana and tries to mate with his date?
I can see the scene playing out like this:

Grooberson pulls into the parking lot of this big box store. He gets out of his car and walks into the store, and the camera makes it seem as though he's being watched. The camera cuts to two glowing red eyes behind some bushes.

Grooberson approaches the automatic sliding doors. The doors open, he walks in, and the doors close. A beat goes by and the doors open again, and the terror dog walks in.

Grooberson starts walking through the aisles, looking for items to buy. The terror dog slowly follows. A woman spots the terror dog and screams. Grooberson hears the scream, and the scene with the mini pufts plays out, made possible due to the PKE put out by the terror dog.

Grooberson starts to look around and at the end of the aisle is the terror dog, watching him. Over the loud speaker we hear an employee say, "Ghost Dog on Aisle 6." Everyone starts to run out of the store. Grooberson gets to his car, fumbling with his keys. Then the terror dog jumps onto the hood of his car and snarls.
Alphagaia, Kingpin liked this
Over at Forbes, Scott Mendelson is pitching that Ghostbusters: Afterlife should move backward to May 2021 to capitalize on a gap in the release schedule, and the success of Godzilla vs. Kong (and wondering if the clip's release is evidence that Sony is already considering it).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... 40c5be24b5
Alphagaia, SpaceBallz, BatDan and 2 others liked this
BatDan wrote: April 7th, 2021, 10:49 am Ghostbusters 3 has remained a myth for all my life...and i just watched a fully edited clip from it...what is happening?
I know, right? It's kinda like those moments in movies that leave you wondering if this is really reality, or a simulation that just slipped up.
Alphagaia, deadderek, Sav C and 1 others liked this
Kingpin wrote: April 7th, 2021, 11:29 am
BatDan wrote: April 7th, 2021, 10:49 am Ghostbusters 3 has remained a myth for all my life...and i just watched a fully edited clip from it...what is happening?
I know, right? It's kinda like those moments in movies that leave you wondering if this is really reality, or a simulation that just slipped up.
Just yesterday, I was reading ALL the articles about Ghostbusters 3 on Spook Central.
From 1989 Aykroyd's quote: "With these characters and their technology you can do everything" up until January 2019.... Guys, what a hell of a tumultuous ride.

I don't know how many times we've been near to have a third movie before, but I raise my glass to anyone who kept the flame alive all these years.
Kingpin, RedSpecial, deadderek and 1 others liked this
You know Mendelson's hot take makes alot of sense. If the movie isn't due for 7 more months why release a significant clip like this when any hype you generate will be lost by the time November rolls around. Could this possibly mean that Sony is considering or has decided to move Afterlife up to possibly early June?

Wishful thinking I know but theres something suspect about the timing of this clip like Droidguy said especially when theres no merch to really push right now outside of cereal and maybe twinkies.
Last edited by DarkSpectre on April 7th, 2021, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sav C liked this
I'm seeing Mini Puft window plush clings, and t-shirts saying "Don't eat the Pufts." As proven by Ash they'll be easy going in, not going out. I wonder if there will be effect's on Slimer if he eat's one? Hell, if a human eat's a mini puft will they get possessed?

Soon in cenema's? If you count November being soonish, then yeah. :sigh:
I’m thinking a lot of the merch and marketing, including the cereal box, will have images of the mini pufts. They posted this to get ahead of the marketing and to counter what would be a spoiler.

I’d love for it to get moved up, but I don’t think it will. Everything still says Fall 2021, so maybe a month or two early, but not May.
Kingpin, tylergfoster, groschopf and 4 others liked this
I’m not going to lie, when I started watching the clip I thought it was a specially shot advertisement(the aspect ratio isn’t 2.35:1). The cinematography looked pretty bland and I saw Baskin Robbins ice cream so I thought “oh cool they got Paul Rudd to do a commercial for some products associated with the movie”. But this is an actual clip?
I guess I can’t say I’m surprised they are leaning into the mini puffs for marketing. They look, behave & sound exactly like I thought they would.

Here’s my fear. That the Stay Puft mini’s don’t form or exist for any particular reason. There’s some supernatural thing that causes ghosts to start manifesting & appearing and the mini puffs are just part of that. Which would make no sense. Stay Puft existed because Ray thought of him. He wasn’t a Ghost. There was a reason. I hope it’s not just “oh here’s something fans and people recognize from the 1st movie”. But I’m fairly certain that’s what it’s going to be.

Does anyone remember where/when we first heard about the Stay Puft mini’s?? It wasn’t one of those Reddit leaks was it? that we all thought was bogus?
Last edited by RichardLess on April 7th, 2021, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sav C liked this
Awesome to finally see a clip. I hate to be that guy, but I gotta say, I wasn't very impressed. It felt too "fan service-y," and the CGI looks like crap. Granted, it's just a clip, so maybe the mini-Pufts will feel more organic in the actual context of the film, but this does not make me more excited for the movie. It looks like they're just catering to the child demographic here. That said, at least there's a little bit of edge to the mini-Pufts, like the one sucking on his drool-rope, and the ones burning each other. I just hope they're as edgy as the Gremlins in the rest of the film, and not just a cutesy fan service device meant to sell merchandise.
RichardLess wrote: April 7th, 2021, 11:45 am Does anyone remember where/when we first heard about the Stay Puft mini’s?? It wasn’t one of those Reddit leaks was it? that we all thought was bogus?
The first suggestion of the Mini-Pufts on any merchandise/official release might've been on the Ghost Whistle:

-Which was revealed towards the end of February 2020.

Around the same time, some of the figures were displayed at New York Toy Fair 2020 including a Stay Puft figure, which showed a Mini-Puft on the packaging artwork:

One of the first rumours to mention the Mini-Pufts appears to be a comicbook.com article groschopf linked to in this post.
RedSpecial liked this
Guys...it's a single minute clip no doubt edited to be shared on the internet/social media. This clip has probably been sitting on a hard drive waiting to be released for over a year. It's a tiny hype piece, not the whole movie.

Not to mention already seeing the first signs of fan entitlement. Take a cue from MST3K and just relax.
RedSpecial, Kingpin, deadderek and 4 others liked this
ghoulishfright wrote: April 7th, 2021, 12:00 pm Awesome to finally see a clip. I hate to be that guy, but I gotta say, I wasn't very impressed. It felt too "fan service-y," and the CGI looks like crap. Granted, it's just a clip, so maybe the mini-Pufts will feel more organic in the actual context of the film, but this does not make me more excited for the movie. It looks like they're just catering to the child demographic here. That said, at least there's a little bit of edge to the mini-Pufts, like the one sucking on his drool-rope, and the ones burning each other. I just hope they're as edgy as the Gremlins in the rest of the film, and not just a cutesy fan service device meant to sell merchandise.
Honestly, the CGI looks rather good if you ask me. Comparing it to ATC's special effects it's already a step up from that and whatever Scy Fy produces so i'm confident in that fact alone the CGI isn't going to be dissapointing. It's a fresh take on an old villain keeping things from getting stale. The movies going to be catering to both the parents and kid's here after all

Product placement is my biggest pet peeve in some films but in this case it works. Now, if they were walking, talking Pepsi cans yeah...I'd have issue with that. But hey more stay puft merch is fine with me.
Prime 1986, RedSpecial, deadderek and 3 others liked this
I think the clip is great.

The social media reaction is mostly positive.

HOWEVER.

Because of 2016, and because social media is a warzone for competing politics, companies and their IP's, there is a lot of disingenuous negativity: "copying baby yoda", "this isn't the right tone for Ghostbusters", "CGI looks bad", "leaning too much on nostalgia", "why would Stay Puft be in it" etc. etc.

This film has an uphill battle just like GB 2016. And on that note the biggest flaw of GB2016 is exposed when you try to re-edit it: It's impossible to include much of the best improvised material into the actual film because the long takes meander without structure and so when you cherry pick the best bits they just do not flow, and the parts that connect them are either too long or just don't land.

Anyway.... MINI PUFTS.
Kingpin wrote: April 7th, 2021, 12:20 pm
RichardLess wrote: April 7th, 2021, 11:45 am Does anyone remember where/when we first heard about the Stay Puft mini’s?? It wasn’t one of those Reddit leaks was it? that we all thought was bogus?
The first suggestion of the Mini-Pufts on any merchandise/official release might've been on the Ghost Whistle:

-Which was revealed towards the end of February 2020.

Around the same time, some of the figures were displayed at New York Toy Fair 2020 including a Stay Puft figure, which showed a Mini-Puft on the packaging artwork:

One of the first rumours to mention the Mini-Pufts appears to be a comicbook.com article groschopf linked to in this post.
This kinda hints that the Mini Pufts don't want stay mini at all, right?

I mean there is more than one mini Puft in that picture on the lower left. Under the big gap where the spine is showing you can see feet dangling upside down as well and to the right if the hole is another feet. To the left is another Mini Puft form but you can't see it completely because that's where the image is cut off.

Could they be made from the actual Stay Puft or is something else going on? :vinzclortho:
Last edited by Alphagaia on April 7th, 2021, 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote:I think the clip is great.

The social media reaction is mostly positive.

HOWEVER.

Because of 2016, and because social media is a warzone for competing politics, companies and their IP's, there is a lot of disingenuous negativity: "copying baby yoda", "this isn't the right tone for Ghostbusters", "CGI looks bad", "leaning too much on nostalgia", "why would Stay Puft be in it" etc. etc.

This film has an uphill battle just like GB 2016. And on that note the biggest flaw of GB2016 is exposed when you try to re-edit it: It's impossible to include much of the best improvised material into the actual film because the long takes meander without structure and so when you cherry pick the best bits they just do not flow, and the parts that connect them are either too long or just don't land.

Anyway.... MINI PUFTS.
As the saying goes, you can please some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people some of time.

I like the clip. As others have said, it reminds me of Gremlins. It's also a spin on a familiar character. I suspect that this clip has been edited somewhat. You can kind of pick up on abrupt shifts when listening to the sound. I like the use of the original score, but I wouldn't be surprised if in the actual film it's a different score that's used. Perhaps a full version of this scene will help explain why the Mini-Pufts even exist. Is there some malevolent force bringing them to life? If so, why are the marshmallows brought to life as opposed to any other food product in the store? I suspect that we'll get answers to these questions because Jason, like us, is a fan of the IP.
From an Australian girl's magazine that came with mini puft stamps.
Alphagaia wrote: April 7th, 2021, 1:10 pm This kinda hints that the Mini Pufts don't want stay mini at all, right?

I mean there is more than one mini Puft in that picture on the lower left. Under the big gap where the spine is showing you can see feet dangling upside down as well and to the right if the hole is another feet. To the left is another Mini Puft form but you can't see it completely because that's where the image is cut off.

Could they be made from the actual Stay Puft or is something else going on? :vinzclortho:
Reminds me of the real Ghostbusters episode, Janine's Day Off, where the guys are fighting tiny toy sized ghosts that come together to form a huge toward the end of the episode.
It also reminds me the final act of Evolution, another movie by Ivan Reitman.
Last edited by Bison256 on April 7th, 2021, 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alphagaia, deadderek liked this
Bison256 wrote: April 7th, 2021, 1:27 pm
From an Australian girl's magazine that came with mini puft stamps.
Alphagaia wrote: April 7th, 2021, 1:10 pm This kinda hints that the Mini Pufts don't want stay mini at all, right?

Reminds me of the real Ghostbusters episode, Janine's Day Off, where the guys are fighting tiny toy sized ghosts that come together to form a huge toward the end of the episode.
Considering how big the Mini Pufts are in that clip I'm scaling the bigger Stay Puft as somewhat human sized.
JonXCTrack wrote: April 7th, 2021, 1:12 pm I suspect that this clip has been edited somewhat. You can kind of pick up on abrupt shifts when listening to the sound.
This. I’ve got five curly English pounds says these shots are intercut with something happening elsewhere. Maybe some gloom in a room, or outside in a storm. It jumps too sharply for either Reitman.

But for the record, this scene gives me +excitement.
Alphagaia, RedSpecial, groschopf and 6 others liked this
Hasbro Ghostbusters

I thought 6 inch was 6 inch.. I just looked the m[…]

Oh, another thing - this was made mostly out of sc[…]

Beautiful!! I'm getting this even if finances don[…]