Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
The issues with ATC may have been less magnified if only the characters were a tad more likable. I also feel like the whole "anti-bullying" theme is a mixed bag because the characters who were bullied, well, kinda contribute to the bullying that causes Rowan to do what he does. I think Afterlife will be much more relatable with its cross-generational unity theme. I can see a lot of kids walking out saying they wished they had a teacher like Mr. Grooberson.
Unless Grooberson turns out like this guy.

Coover5 liked this
RichardLess wrote: July 24th, 2021, 10:36 pmThe bad guy is…just some dude.
In fairness, sometimes that's what they are... A dude who just kinda snaps, rather than Magneto.
What I liked about Rowan, even if large chunks of his execution were flawed, was that he was a living, breathing menace for the Ghostbusters to face (before ultimately becoming supernatural), a nice contrast to the ghosts and monsters the teams usually encountered, and something that's been used to great effect in numerous episodes of the cartoons (Peck, Mr. Tummel, Dr. Crowley, Clark Ashton, Artie Grendel, Alan Favish, Edward Kirilian...), which help to underscore it isn't always the ghosts that present a threat to the Ghostbusters (an idea also excellently used in the Torchwood first season-episode Countrycide).

Sometimes the worst monsters out there are our fellow human beings... And given the first two movies had featured threats brought about by dead humans (and subsequently Afterlife as well), it was a interesting change of pace that the villain of the reboot still had a pulse when the Ghostbusters first met him.

Some of the worst acts in the real world have been committed by the quiet, otherwise unremarkable people... And while Rowan came off as two-dimensional, with a bit more plotting and work he could have been a compelling villain whilst also being human rather than a ghost. :)
deadderek wrote: July 25th, 2021, 12:42 am So has anyone here bought any of the new toys that have gone out yet?
I'd like to get my hands on the electronic Hasbro thrower, the electronics in that look like a perfect doner for custom particle-thrower props, like replicas of Winston's IDW Proton Pistol.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: July 25th, 2021, 4:35 am The challenge for future Ghostbusters films/tv shouldn't be to contrive a way to write the same four characters, but to write new characters who are good in their own right or are written in a way which pays homage to the originals.
If there's to be a continuation of the films, then yeah, we do need new characters.

As for TV? To be honest, if I was to watch a new cartoon, or a live-action series, I'd really prefer the central characters to be the New York team. Having watched the various CSIs and NCISs, the spin-off teams just never seem quite as compelling as those in the originating shows... Law & Order is perhaps the exception where I like the original show's team as much as the SVU team.

I think that there's a lot of scope for new stories featuring the four original Ghostbusters if you were to do a live-action series... Just as long though as they're not depicted in their late teens/early twenties. The Ghostbusters need to be average guys, not Abercrombie & Fitch models.
jonogunn wrote: July 25th, 2021, 4:49 am It’s the perfect time to jump on the multiverse train.
I enjoyed 101 and Crossing Over, but Ghostbusters doesn't need a cinematic/televisual multiverse.
At this point I don't think we're getting a trailer tomorrow. They seem to have a marketing train worked out and you'd think they would have dropped hints or have a countdown timer on the website or something.

I'm thinking maybe end of August or September.
I'm not outright disagreeing with you about the dropping likelihood of tomorrow, but why is a countdown timer necessary? This isn't one of the big franchises like Marvel, DC or Trek...

I kinda wish studios would stop hyping up the release of the trailer and just let the trailer itself be the statement.
deadderek, Sav C, robbritton liked this
I'm just basing my guess on Jason's statement that they have a plan to unwrap everything like a Christmas present, the timer thing was just something that popped in my head from previous marketing strategies (although the last time I saw something like that was over a decade ago). Maybe post a mini puft holding a sign with the date of the trailer.
deadderek, Sav C liked this
pizzarat wrote: July 25th, 2021, 10:22 amI also feel like the whole "anti-bullying" theme is a mixed bag because the characters who were bullied, well, kinda contribute to the bullying that causes Rowan to do what he does.
That's not true! Patty interacts with Rowan before she is a Ghostbuster and treats him politely. When they later encounter Rowan in the basement (the only time three of them meet him in person), they try to convince him that life is worth living and that he doesn't need to open the portal. They only insult him after he's possessed one of them and tried to kill another, stolen Kevin for nefarious deeds, attacked them with ghosts, and is unquestionably in the middle of carrying out his plan. I also wouldn't call anti-bullying a theme, I was just saying that Abby and Erin have shared experiences with Rowan in a basic dramatic foil kind of way.

That said, if you wanted to cut a couple of lines of dialogue during the climax, I also wouldn't argue.

As for the trailer discussion, there seemed to be some talk about Monday being Sony's traditional trailer day. I looked it up a couple of days ago, and it was more of a mix than that: Venom: Let There Be Carnage and Hotel Transylvania: Translymania went up on Mondays. Escape Room: Tournament of Champions and Don't Breathe 2 went up on Wednesdays. Here Today went up on a Thursday.
Last edited by tylergfoster on July 25th, 2021, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robbritton, Alphagaia liked this
Between Spider-Man and Afterlife, Sony is keeping their fans going stir crazy.
SpaceBallz liked this
devilmanozzy wrote: July 18th, 2021, 3:40 pm
Michael Scott wrote: July 18th, 2021, 3:34 pm Lucky, Phoebe, and Podcast I presume.
Turnip must be Trevor. That completes the four kids.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/GHB-FRIGHT-F ... /582258655
The moment of "duh".

Taken from https://news.toyark.com/2020/02/21/hasb ... ges-379507 :
GHOSTBUSTERS FRIGHT FEATURE FIGURES
(Ages 4 and Up / Approx. Retail Price: $9.99 / Available: Summer 2020)
Fright Features are back and better than ever with the GHOSTBUSTERS Fright Feature Figures from Hasbro! These 5-inch scale figures are accompanied by ghosts with fright features. Once activated, ghosts stretch, spook, and cause a fright! Kids can imagine the spine-tingling frights faced by Ghostbusters old and new! Wave 1 includes the four original Ghostbusters. Wave 2 includes four human characters from the 2020 Ghostbusters movie, GHOSTBUSTERS: Afterlife (each sold separately). Available at most major retailers nationwide.
Well that reinforces my research a week ago.
Kingpin liked this
Yeah. It's all 4 kids. Ancient news.
Last edited by deadderek on July 25th, 2021, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davideverona wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 12:02 pm
SpaceBallz wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 11:45 am It's okay guys, the Spiderman fans are upset too. They thought the trailer would be released today too for some reason. WE ARE NOT ALONE!
We have another 3 days to find out
Welp, tomorrow's the big day to see if the Trailer 2 rumor is true, precisely at 9 AM (Eastern for where I am). See y'all on the other side! On a side note, this happened on the GB discord. As described by the yellow pfp man, the guy who started the rumor (ChilliVanilliiiii) mentioned that he has a friend working with Sony, specifically the Germany division.
Kingpin wrote: July 25th, 2021, 3:18 pm
RichardLess wrote: July 24th, 2021, 10:36 pmThe bad guy is…just some dude.
In fairness, sometimes that's what they are... A dude who just kinda snaps, rather than Magneto.
What I liked about Rowan, even if large chunks of his execution were flawed, was that he was a living, breathing menace for the Ghostbusters to face (before ultimately becoming supernatural), a nice contrast to the ghosts and monsters the teams usually encountered, and something that's been used to great effect in numerous episodes of the cartoons (Peck, Mr. Tummel, Dr. Crowley, Clark Ashton, Artie Grendel, Alan Favish, Edward Kirilian...), which help to underscore it isn't always the ghosts that present a threat to the Ghostbusters (an idea also excellently used in the Torchwood first season-episode Countrycide).

Sometimes the worst monsters out there are our fellow human beings... And given the first two movies had featured threats brought about by dead humans (and subsequently Afterlife as well), it was a interesting change of pace that the villain of the reboot still had a pulse when the Ghostbusters first met him.

Some of the worst acts in the real world have been committed by the quiet, otherwise unremarkable people... And while Rowan came off as two-dimensional, with a bit more plotting and work he could have been a compelling villain whilst also being human rather than a ghost. :)
deadderek wrote: July 25th, 2021, 12:42 am So has anyone here bought any of the new toys that have gone out yet?
I'd like to get my hands on the electronic Hasbro thrower, the electronics in that look like a perfect doner for custom particle-thrower props, like replicas of Winston's IDW Proton Pistol.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: July 25th, 2021, 4:35 am The challenge for future Ghostbusters films/tv shouldn't be to contrive a way to write the same four characters, but to write new characters who are good in their own right or are written in a way which pays homage to the originals.
If there's to be a continuation of the films, then yeah, we do need new characters.

As for TV? To be honest, if I was to watch a new cartoon, or a live-action series, I'd really prefer the central characters to be the New York team. Having watched the various CSIs and NCISs, the spin-off teams just never seem quite as compelling as those in the originating shows... Law & Order is perhaps the exception where I like the original show's team as much as the SVU team.

I think that there's a lot of scope for new stories featuring the four original Ghostbusters if you were to do a live-action series... Just as long though as they're not depicted in their late teens/early twenties. The Ghostbusters need to be average guys, not Abercrombie & Fitch models.
jonogunn wrote: July 25th, 2021, 4:49 am It’s the perfect time to jump on the multiverse train.
I enjoyed 101 and Crossing Over, but Ghostbusters doesn't need a cinematic/televisual multiverse.

Heck I’ll go one further, that’s *usually* what they are. Before Hitler was Hitler, he was just some guy. I get what your saying but having your main villain as just some loner human…it doesn’t work. When I look at reboots or remakes, I need them to justify themselves beyond just existing. In this case, the filmmakers knew Ghostbusters was going to be in the rear view mirror of a lot of audiences members and fans. We’d be comparing the two. So how does Rowan stack up against Gozer? Not at all. But the problem is they weren’t going for that sort of grandeur. I duno. Rowan just doesn’t work for me. Maybe if the performance would’ve been more menacing in his human form. The entire time I kept thinking “hey. It’s that guy from the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode!”. There’s just such a lack of drama in ATC.

We all love the moment in Ghostbusters when it’s Ray and Winston talking about the end of the world and believing in a God, right? Terrific scene. It ups the stakes, reveals a little bit of character & gives the audience some real serious drama to chew on. There’s nothing remotely close to that in ATC. The movie was so far off the tone and aesthetic of those two films…it’s jarring. Makes me wonder if Reitman had directed GB3 if he would’ve gotten the tone right. We all know his output has been…not good for years now. Would he have remembered what Ghostbusters is and what it’s not? I really wanted to him to succeed and be like “Ok kids, let me show you how it’s done”.

Again, reading those emails about how Sony just didn’t want Ivan near this movie & Paul Feig didn’t want Ivan on set. Makes me feel for the guy. I understand where Feig was coming from. But if I was a director I would LOVE to have someone like Ivan Reitman beside me. Instead it’s all about ego and Feig wanting to make sure this is his film, done his way. I get it but at the same time…it feels disrespectful.

It seems from the emails Ivan was 100% against a reboot at first and even tried developing a sequel in conjunction with the reboot before Paul Feig found out freaked out. That’s where Amy Pascal sent the “shut it down” email. It’s very clear Ivan was fighting for this franchise & Pascal did not like him. There’s an awkward email where someone connected to Ivan finds out Amy had a dinner party and a big part of it was Ghostbusters related but Ivan wasn’t invited. All sorts of weird awkward stuff like that. They don’t trust Ivan. They are constantly talking about asking for input on comedy people they “trust” like Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg. Imagine that? You’ve made or produced some of the most popular and successful comedies of all time and influenced today’s generation of comedy writers and directors yet the Studio execs trust the people you’ve influenced…but not you. Then you read the bullshit press releases. “We love Ivan and blah blah blah”. Right.

Makes me wonder. I wonder if all the people involved in the Sony leaks changed their phone numbers and email. There’s some pretty important peoples Phone numbers & contact info in those emails. I almost went to call Sam Raimi but I chickened out. What if answered? What would I say? Lol.
What's that saying, you should never meet your heroes? The worst case scenario is getting a who the hell are you, or a restraining order put out. I'm sure after Lindsey Graham's cell phone number was put out there he probably changed it the very next day.

If you ever have the chance of meeting Sam at a con that's one of the questions you should ask him. "I found your phone number in the sony leaks, almost called you. " That would actually be a great conversation starter if Bruce Campbell were sitting next to him. I would pay to see his reaction.

But yeah I agree that not including Ivan in any of the ATC process was kind of a slap in the face. Always thought of that as being a dick move.
Coover5 wrote: July 25th, 2021, 5:15 pm
SpaceBallz wrote: July 25th, 2021, 5:07 pm I'm just basing my guess on Jason's statement that they have a plan to unwrap everything like a Christmas present,
That's the key to everything.

Next trailer debuts December 25th.
I hope the movie doesn't spoil it...
tylergfoster, Coover5, zeta otaku and 1 others liked this
RichardLess wrote: July 25th, 2021, 7:21 pmMakes me feel for the guy. I understand where Feig was coming from. But if I was a director I would LOVE to have someone like Ivan Reitman beside me.
I just think where Paul was coming from was the more important perspective in that context. You yourself have said that making the movie a sequel instead of a reboot would be a thing that completely transforms your perspective on the movie. Well, that was clearly true of Paul as well, and I think for many of the same reasons that I don't like the idea either. Before Paul ever spoke to Ivan, when he had just been offered Ghostbusters: Alive Again, he turned it down specifically because he didn't want to make a sequel. No matter how influential and important Ivan is to Ghostbusters, there's not really any way to reconcile the fact that Ivan wanted to make one movie and Paul wanted to make another. If I'd have been in that situation, where I signed onto make a certain type of Ghostbusters movie, and then here's the guy who directed the original trying to convince me to make the opposite, that'd be heartbreaking! As for Pascal, her job was to protect the filmmaker actually making the movie.

To be fair, I haven't read 100% of the emails that don't include Paul, so this stuff about a dinner where Ivan wasn't invited is something I haven't read. I do remember reading that Paul and Ivan had a meeting where they hashed their differences out before production started, and I personally witnessed Paul and Ivan chatting peacefully and casually out of the spotlight at GB Fan Fest while I was waiting for photo ops, so I personally think in the end they both understood where the other person was coming from. Furthermore, perhaps Ivan was able to use it as leverage to get Ghostbusters: Afterlife a greenlight, given the 2016 movie wasn't a financial success, and he could argue that it was because they didn't bring back the original characters. Seems like water under the bridge at this point.
Ghostytheghost wrote: July 25th, 2021, 7:07 pm
Davideverona wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 12:02 pm

We have another 3 days to find out
Welp, tomorrow's the big day to see if the Trailer 2 rumor is true, precisely at 9 AM (Eastern for where I am). See y'all on the other side! On a side note, this happened on the GB discord. As described by the yellow pfp man, the guy who started the rumor (ChilliVanilliiiii) mentioned that he has a friend working with Sony, specifically the Germany division.
I didn't start it as a rumor, but I am the first to guess the date.

Hopefully it comes true. *fingers crossed* However I strongly do not think it comes out today.
TheLegendOfMart wrote: July 26th, 2021, 12:19 am I wouldn't hold your breath for a new trailer. In the UK the first trailer was rated on the BBFC ratings website a week before it came out.

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/release/ghostbus ... c00otazoti

Still only one trailer rated.
Ditto in Canada. Nothing new rated.
droidguy1119 wrote: July 25th, 2021, 9:06 pm
RichardLess wrote: July 25th, 2021, 7:21 pmMakes me feel for the guy. I understand where Feig was coming from. But if I was a director I would LOVE to have someone like Ivan Reitman beside me.
I just think where Paul was coming from was the more important perspective in that context. You yourself have said that making the movie a sequel instead of a reboot would be a thing that completely transforms your perspective on the movie. Well, that was clearly true of Paul as well, and I think for many of the same reasons that I don't like the idea either. Before Paul ever spoke to Ivan, when he had just been offered Ghostbusters: Alive Again, he turned it down specifically because he didn't want to make a sequel. No matter how influential and important Ivan is to Ghostbusters, there's not really any way to reconcile the fact that Ivan wanted to make one movie and Paul wanted to make another. If I'd have been in that situation, where I signed onto make a certain type of Ghostbusters movie, and then here's the guy who directed the original trying to convince me to make the opposite, that'd be heartbreaking! As for Pascal, her job was to protect the filmmaker actually making the movie.

To be fair, I haven't read 100% of the emails that don't include Paul, so this stuff about a dinner where Ivan wasn't invited is something I haven't read. I do remember reading that Paul and Ivan had a meeting where they hashed their differences out before production started, and I personally witnessed Paul and Ivan chatting peacefully and casually out of the spotlight at GB Fan Fest while I was waiting for photo ops, so I personally think in the end they both understood where the other person was coming from. Furthermore, perhaps Ivan was able to use it as leverage to get Ghostbusters: Afterlife a greenlight, given the 2016 movie wasn't a financial success, and he could argue that it was because they didn't bring back the original characters. Seems like water under the bridge at this point.
This is the dinner thing

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/156074

Edit: You can see them playing Ivan here https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/56634

And here https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/153820
Last edited by RichardLess on July 26th, 2021, 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
I remember the dinner thing. Ivan was not invited so they could talk the best strategy to convince him to give his blessing to the project, as he could veto the whole thing.

Right after the dinner thing Paul and Feig has a lunch and everything was fine and he gave his blessing.
Alphagaia wrote: July 26th, 2021, 1:30 am I remember the dinner thing. Ivan was not invited so they could talk the best strategy to convince him to give his blessing to the project, as he could veto the whole thing.

Right after the dinner thing Paul and Feig has a lunch and everything was fine and he gave his blessing.
That’s not how that email reads. At all. To me anyways.
Just came across this too:

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/47366

They wrote out Ivan’s statement about resigning from the film. Weird. That’s what I’m saying about the PR statement. You never know what the truth is. Kinda sad to find out Ivan didn’t write or say any of that himself. Hollywood. Man.

And to keep deaderek from complaining about ATC convo, let me add something about GBA. Um. So yeah. I wonder if that trailer will drop tomorrow?
Last edited by RichardLess on July 26th, 2021, 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
RichardLess wrote: July 26th, 2021, 1:36 am
Alphagaia wrote: July 26th, 2021, 1:30 am I remember the dinner thing. Ivan was not invited so they could talk the best strategy to convince him to give his blessing to the project, as he could veto the whole thing.

That’s not how that email reads. At all.
If I remember correctly, Ivan was pissed about a leak to the press saying Paul would direct and produce the new GB movie. As if it was a done deal. When all Ivan knew it was all just talk as there were multiple angles still being considered and he hasn't given his blessing.
Hence, the dinner party to talk strategy about calming Ivan down and getting him and Paul in the same room.
Which happened, and Ivan happily agreed ATC should be made.

I can dig up the email chain if you want, but yeah, best to make a ATC thread about it if you really want to look at the whole timeline again.
RichardLess wrote: July 26th, 2021, 1:27 am This is the dinner thing

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/156074

Edit: You can see them playing Ivan here https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/56634

And here https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/153820
That all caps Amy Pascal message is hard to read. The disrespect shown to the original creative team...

Even so, a reboot with an entirely new team could've been a huge success - Dipold and Feig's approach ehhh, y'know ATC is a fun movie I enjoy... but it also has flaws the size of the New Jersey Parallelogram. And learning Dipold also wrote The Heat, which I turned off after 5 minutes, and Parks & Rec which is one sitcom I loved on first watch, but cannot return to because it's so one-note and saccharine, it makes sense. I loved Feig, Wig and McCarthy's work in Spy, Bridesmaids etc.... which Kate Dippold is not involved with and it makes me think it was her script causing a lot of ATC's fundamental issues.

On topic...

I'm also assuming no Afterlife trailer today and concerned what this could mean for that November date. Feels like I spend everyday checking for 'Afterlife trailer' and 'Animal Crossing update'... :walterpeck:
Last edited by Chicken, He Clucked on July 26th, 2021, 2:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
deadderek liked this
RichardLess wrote: July 26th, 2021, 1:49 am
deadderek wrote: July 26th, 2021, 1:36 am Guys we have a whole ATC section.
Yes and we are talking about both movies. Thanks
It's mostly just you and alpha going back & forth on ATC now though.

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]