Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Alphagaia
You know what we call Ghostbusters in the Netherlands?

Ghostbusters.

Wanna know why? Cause we are not patronized by our media outlets and actually raised in at least two other languages.
This Post Contains Spoilers
groschopf, SpaceBallz liked this
By groschopf
That doesn't surprise me. My language teacher at the German American Institute told us "you're winning" with regards to how many other countries also speak English... sometimes better than native speakers. My friend from Malaysia would correct my grammatical errors constantly in college.

Being in the Netherlands, you no doubt interact with people speaking languages other than Dutch with more frequency than I would. The closest foreign country to me is Canada.

Still, I'd be surprised if terms like Afterlife or Inheritance would be direct translations from English in Italian or French.
By SpaceBallz
Alphagaia wrote: November 30th, 2019, 9:54 am You know what we call Ghostbusters in the Netherlands?

Ghostbusters.

Wanna know why? Cause we are not patronized by our media outlets and actually raised in at least two other languages.
I do appreciate the swedish translation of finding dory.

https://youtu.be/071pe_pXAD4
groschopf, Alphagaia liked this
By Alphagaia
SpaceBallz wrote: November 30th, 2019, 12:59 pm
Alphagaia wrote: November 30th, 2019, 9:54 am You know what we call Ghostbusters in the Netherlands?

Ghostbusters.

I do appreciate the swedish translation of finding dory.

https://youtu.be/071pe_pXAD4

That's the swedish translation for "the end". Still funny though.

Our Dutch word 'Sluiten' actually is derived from Slut, which translates to 'closing'.

Edit: now that I think of it, we use "slot" as well, which means "ending" as well. Probably even closer.
Last edited by Alphagaia on November 30th, 2019, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By McCrea
SpaceBallz wrote: November 29th, 2019, 10:44 pm This website says the title is how "The Inheritance"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6ue026xY ... =emb_title
I'm from Québec so we speak english and french here, Inheritance (L'Héritage) would be a good translation for Afterlife in french, as Afterlife in french means literally life after death.

Since this Afterlife means there is something else coming like a new generation, a new beginning, Inheritance (L'héritage) would be a good translation

I still think think Afterlife is a lot more plausible than Inheritance
By pizzarat
McCrea wrote: November 30th, 2019, 2:03 pm
SpaceBallz wrote: November 29th, 2019, 10:44 pm This website says the title is how "The Inheritance"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6ue026xY ... =emb_title
I'm from Québec so we speak english and french here, Inheritance (L'Héritage) would be a good translation for Afterlife in french, as Afterlife in french means literally life after death.

Since this Afterlife means there is something else coming like a new generation, a new beginning, Inheritance (L'héritage) would be a good translation

I still think think Afterlife is a lot more plausible than Inheritance
The other possibility is that it's Legacy, which is still better than (The) Afterlife.
Alphagaia liked this
By SpaceBallz
I never thought that my bucket list of wanting to learn a new language would be due to wanting tidbits of info for Ghostbusters 3.
pizzarat liked this
By pizzarat
SpaceBallz wrote: November 30th, 2019, 3:48 pm I never thought that my bucket list of wanting to learn a new language would be due to wanting tidbits of info for Ghostbusters 3.
I know the feeling, I've bee waiting for this movie since I was 5. I comb this forum, Reddit and the Spoilers group on Facebook multiple times a day.
By EddieSpenser
McCrea wrote: November 30th, 2019, 2:03 pm I'm from Québec so we speak english and french here, Inheritance (L'Héritage) would be a good translation for Afterlife in french, as Afterlife in french means literally life after death.
Yeaaah, about that... Québec doesn't really count when it comes to movie titles translations.
By BatDan
New fan theory of mine:

We know Shandor has something to do with the plot. Which brings to speculate a return of Gozer..

But what if..there were other demons and dark beings the Shandor cult worshipped? (In film canon)
By timeware
They covered that in the video game. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, but as long as we're on the subject of Quebec I have a shit ton of triumph the insult comic dog jokes to unload.
Alphagaia wrote: December 1st, 2019, 12:14 am
Styrofoam_Guy wrote: November 30th, 2019, 11:55 pmhttps://www.thevintagenews.com/2019/11/ ... SN3IH9j-t4

Is this a reliable source?
If you like old news, yes.
Ah sorry I didn't realize it was a repeat of an earlier article.

I was sort of wondering why we still have not heard anything official from the director or Sony.
By deadderek
I think the last thing we saw from official sources were pics from the wrap party.

There's speculation a teaser trailer might be dropped in front of Jumanji but that's about it atm.
By mrmichaelt
Hmm, well the latest 007 ended principal on October 25 and the trailer just dropped. It's not the same kinda FX as Ghostbusters, so it's safe to say we'll see a trailer this or next week. I'm guessing the info for the trailers linked to Jumanji: The Next Level may start surfacing online soon, too, and we'll start seeing those kind of articles pop.
robbritton liked this
By deadderek
The Cross Rip brought up a good question:

Do you guys think there'll be franchises invited to the premiere this time?

By robbritton
timeware wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 8:21 am Most definitely. Although this time we don't have a director hogging the lime light or worrying about self promotion. I'm interested in seeing what their promo boxes look like this time around. Did you get one Kingpin or was that just A.J.?
Imagine being present and excited at your own premiere! Paul Feig is truly history's greatest monster.
Doctor Venkman, deadderek, Alphagaia and 1 others liked this
By RichRyan1507
pizzarat wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 12:25 pm Eh, the title is whatever. I would have even been satisfied with "The Afterlife". Without the article it's a bit awkward.
I really like the title. Gives a nice hint to what the movie will be about and avoids the no ghost symbol with his stupid 3 fingers sticking out. Makes it seem heavier, too, which I like!
groschopf, Kingpin, tylergfoster and 1 others liked this
By groschopf
The site is British, so 10-7-2020 is read as July 7th, 2020. Kind of like how 7pm to us is 19:00 to them. We do it differently in America, just like units of measurements and standard road signs.

The article is speculating that it will come out before Jumanji, but it doesn't indicative definitively when it will drop.

A little sneak preview of one of the bedrock parts[…]

Where do the other ends of the red/yellow wire[…]

There's some fun dialogue TV-edits, a replacement […]

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/37016683[…]