Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
pizzarat wrote:
JonXCTrack wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 3:35 pm

We're assuming that in Ghostbusters 2, the ECU was still located in the Firehouse. We don't actually know that to be the case. In the Hellbent script, the few pages that we get, there is a temporary facility at the Firehouse, but ultimately the ghosts in the temporary facility are transferred to a permanent location off-site.

Remember that short scene during the end credits when they arrive with two smoking traps and hand them to Janine? I think it's pretty safe to assume the ECU is still there.
I do remember it. But we don't actually see the ECU. Maybe Janine takes the traps and puts them in some kind of charging station until they can ride out to a facility in the middle of nowhere that houses a large ECU? I do hope there is an explanation for this as well as some of our other nerdy inquiries.
Alphagaia wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 12:14 am
JonXCTrack wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 3:37 pm

Yeah, all these articles/posts with Annie Potts, Ernie Hudson, and now Bill Murray singing the film's praises doesn't move the needle for me. If they didn't like what they saw, would they really say it publicly? I doubt it very much.
Yeah, I can kinda understand your reasoning here. The clip I saw felt heavily edited and Bill saying those exact words was a bit to perfect to say at that point, but that's to be expected from a promotion reel. I have no doubt they watched it five times and used his best reaction, instead of his first reaction.

That being said, I completely understand the need of these promotional clips. They might be staged, but so is most of the interviews and stuff we get spoon-fed.

Isn't necessarily a bad thing, just showbiz. I can understand that kind of thing doesn't win some people over, while a scene/trailer from the movie itself can be a much better way to gauge your interest.

Personally, I thought it was to short. Let Ivan and Bill talk a bit longer about the scene. It lets the clip breath a little and gives a bit more insight about their honesty of the reaction.

In short: great idea, but the execution could have been better as it felt to brief of an reaction.

Also, why hasn't Bill seen the entire movie yet when Ernie has????
It was definitely an edited clip. I'm curious as to why that is. Maybe Ivan and Bill watched the movie together remotely, and they have several "Bill reacts" clips?

Perhaps Bill's reaction was genuine and Ernie genuinely loved the film. But generally speaking, actors/directors/producers aren't going to be critical of their work before the movie comes out. There's money to be made and voicing any criticisms too early could ruin that. It's only after the film has entered and left theaters that people are more candid with their opinions. You saw that with Terminator: Dark Fate. Everyone was singing its praises that it was a true T2 sequel that the fans will love. Then it comes out and tanks. Then you find out that James Cameron and the director didn't see eye to eye on it. Linda Hamilton says she won't return for another one. The only person who seemed to like it was Arnold, and I question if he can really be objective about it considering the Terminator franchise is what made him a household name.
I'm more confident than ever that we're going to actually get the movie released in November.
I personally look at Leonard Maltin for unintentionally re-opening some of the old wounds with his, "YoU Didn'T waNt to Do ThE sEquEL" question in that interview. Like, you get a chance to interview Bill Murray, and that's the best question you can come up with it? Nothing about memories of working with Harold Ramis on those two movies, or something a little bit more insightful, considering it's 2021 and not 1990 anymore?
Sav C liked this
I think it's a whole different situation for Murray. With the old ideas, the studio hired some guys from "outside" to do a more generic story. Afterlife was crafted by Jason, who had a personal interest in keeping the legacy alive and has a sense of how the stuff works while also being a great storyteller when it comes to character stuff. Also, Bill worked with the co-writer Gil Kenan on City Of Ember.
Plus, he doesn't have to prove anything to anyone anymore after years of being successful with his arthouse movies. Because he doesn't have to be Venkman anymore, he can be. Let's be honest, he's getting old. Maybe he's allowing himself to have some fun now. And the story's honoring for Harold Ramis certainly has something to do with it. I think there is a lot of regret.
Really, Bill Murray took the liberty of coming home. He's finally one of us.
deadderek, Glenn Frederick, groschopf and 2 others liked this
Timo wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 6:18 pm And the story's honoring for Harold Ramis certainly has something to do with it. I think there is a lot of regret.
Really, Bill Murray took the liberty of coming home. He's finally one of us.
Yeah, I'm in no rush to judge his relationship with Harold. Those kinds of situations are complex.

I had a falling out with a friend, and... I mean, there are times when you don't miss them and times when you do. And when you do miss them, you feel like the asshole for not trying to mend fences sooner. But there's also good reasons for how you got there blah blah blah... I feel for Bill. I'm just glad he got a chance to see his friend before he went. It's way harder to come to terms with things left unsaid after someone you cared about is suddenly gone.

Consider how many of Bill's contemporaries died before their time. Belushi... Radner... Candy... Ramis... Bill strikes me as someone that's been dealing with a kind of survivor's guilt for a while. Seems like the man has some big feelings that explores through his roles and are veiled outside of films by unpredictability and wit.

A haunted Ghostbuster. I really expect we're going to see a profound performance from him in this film.
Sav C, deadderek, Alphagaia and 1 others liked this
timeware wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 10:57 pm I guess we'll never really know the answer if Bill had agreed to do the film years ago if it would be better or not, or as fun as what were getting now. Would they had even considered ATC if Ghostbusters 3 had been made before 2016?
Keep in mind GB: Afterlife isn't the GB3 they intended all those years ago and they didn't name it GB3 for the very reason as it doesn't focus on the guys as much as 1 and 2. It's Phoebe' story.

That being said: ATC only happened because a very specific timeslot and because all other options were closed off, mainly because of the old contracts were set up and GhostCorps had to be invented to bypass it all.

GB:A mostly happened because ATC made Sony finally realize how alive the fan base was, how the kids loved GB and how they could get more of them on board with a new movie while also interesting a new younger audience. That, and ofcourse Jason. The perfect Guy to take the mantle from Ivan.

If GB3 happened (way) sooner and was successful we could have a form of ATC and GB:A like how Marvel is handeling Loki and spreading out to different timelines.
devilmanozzy liked this
Alphagaia wrote: April 24th, 2021, 12:16 am That being said: ATC only happened because a very specific timeslot and because all other options were closed off, mainly because of the old contracts were set up and GhostCorps had to be invented to bypass it all.
Just so we're all on the same page. The transfer of rights, old contracts as you put it, and the formation of Ghost Corps happened before ATC was greenlit. The Corps was mainly created to expand the brand and make ATC BUT not created to bypass the old contract.

Ivan Reitman: "Prior to this movie getting green-lit, I made a deal on our behalf in which the creators would be enriched for the rest of our lives, and for the rest of our children's lives, and transferred the rights to Columbia. Danny and I set up a company called Ghost Corps, whose idea was not only to make this film, the Paul Feig movie, but to use the Ghostbusters ideas and expand it and find out what else it could do to help Columbia and Sony in the future."
https://www.vulture.com/2016/07/ivan-re ... ay-qa.html
The most "proper" GB3 we'll ever get will be the Video Game.

As was mentioned before, ATC came about from a very specific set of circumstances.

(Mod note: third line removed)

As much as I'll cheerlead the continuation of the original timeline, I can't help but be a little nervous about Afterlife, especially with the pandemic having screwed up things for everyone.

I've mentioned countless times in this thread that the balancing act this movie is trying to pull off will be incredible if they pull it off.
mrmichaelt wrote: April 24th, 2021, 1:16 am And as always, let's be conscientious about ATC talk. Posts or lines that verge on or get too inflammatory will be edited or deleted. If there's any questions, send me a private message and I will answer to the best of my abilities. Thanks.
Message sent.
mrmichaelt liked this
deadderek wrote: April 24th, 2021, 1:08 amI've mentioned countless times in this thread that the balancing act this movie is trying to pull off will be incredible if they pull it off.
They are banking on us, the GBfans, having (young) kids. I think it will do stellar if it's something I can show to / 'scare' my kid. They get extra tickets out of that one if we bring the family.

@MrMichaelt: Not to keep on this topic longer than needed as this is still the GB:A topic. I feel like I said (or meant) the same thing or did I miscomprehend part of that?

Edit: Feel free to explain via private message if I missed something.
mrmichaelt liked this
timeware wrote: April 24th, 2021, 11:36 amand don't make adult joke's obvious unlike Transformers.
All being well we won't have anything like Micheal Bay's adult jokes in the various Transformers movies. I regretfully haven't seen any of Jason's work yet, but I get the impression he's less of a lowbrow lad than Bay is.

I would like some swearing on-par with the first movie, because when regular people encounter stuff that's completely out of their wheelhouse of experience, they swear.
deadderek, robbritton liked this
It is fascinating many of us discovered Ghostbusters as children when it clearly was not initially intended that way. The film somehow ended up PG rated from a bunch of R-rated stars and filmmakers. It’s just wild.
RGB obviously steered it more to younger audience but if Afterlife manages to strike the right balance it will be a glorious day!

Afterlife will close the book on the original team.
I really hope Jason has a strategy and is working on a follow up with these kids who will be older and more talented by the time shooting begins. The possibilities are limitless!
deadderek, Kingpin, Alphagaia and 2 others liked this
Ectojeff88 wrote: April 24th, 2021, 12:30 pm It is fascinating many of us discovered Ghostbusters as children when it clearly was not initially intended that way. The film somehow ended up PG rated from a bunch of R-rated stars and filmmakers. It’s just wild.
RGB obviously steered it more to younger audience but if Afterlife manages to strike the right balance it will be a glorious day!

Afterlife will close the book on the original team.
I really hope Jason has a strategy and is working on a follow up with these kids who will be older and more talented by the time shooting begins. The possibilities are limitless!
PG was different back in the mid 80s Temple of Doom and Gremlins were also rated PG. Also Ghostbusters was written/filmed with more adult jokes like stripes before it but it ended up on the cutting room floor.
RedSpecial, mrmichaelt liked this
Alphagaia wrote: April 25th, 2021, 2:58 am I also remember something about 'I want you inside of me' being very controversial for the time. Wasn't there a talkshow where (a young) Bill was asked about that?

Still PG, ofcourse.
Yep, it's on Letterman. I *think* he even says that the line may yet get cut!
Alphagaia liked this
Yeah, when I finally understood English (around 12 or so) I had seen the movie countless times and always thought she wanted to eat him when I read the crummy subtitles. A lot of the jokes were lost in translation.

Blowjobghost was just undressing him completely in my mind, to make him cold and thus roll around and fall out of bed. Made perfect sense back then.

A lot of the jokes, like crossing the streams, I took for being deadserious. GB was an actionmovie for me,with some fun moments instead of the other way around when I got older.
robbritton wrote: April 25th, 2021, 3:34 am
Alphagaia wrote: April 25th, 2021, 2:58 am I also remember something about 'I want you inside of me' being very controversial for the time. Wasn't there a talkshow where (a young) Bill was asked about that?

Still PG, ofcourse.
Yep, it's on Letterman. I *think* he even says that the line may yet get cut!
That's right! It was during the promotion of the movie! People laughed, but were shocked as well since it was so controversial for the time.

Starts at 4:30, but I recommend watching the whole thing as it's just great to see Bill youthful and energetic.

Edit: heh, they don't show the controversial bit in the clip and even bleep out the line afterwards multiple times.

Edit2: seems Dan was supposed to show up for the interview as well, but Bill and him had an argument. Ah well. Bill is Bill. Dan is Dan.
pizzarat, robbritton liked this
Davideverona wrote: April 25th, 2021, 9:25 am
That's the same I have at home, I recognized it immediately when I saw the clip :)

So after we see the new movie, it's off to your place for burgers, hot dogs, beers, and brats?
Alphagaia, Davideverona liked this
Matty PKE Question...URGENT

Depending on the price, it might be worth snatchin[…]

I have a full sized spirit pack, and I have the gh[…]

If you need any clarification at all, PM me or […]

Proton Props UK

Good decision to lift the ban! By the way: I think[…]