Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Coover5
Davideverona wrote: February 16th, 2019, 10:19 am About the new characters descriptions...

On actoraccess.com i found the first two roles' breakdowns, and neither of them says "lead boy/girl".
I searched for the new roles but they aren't listed.
How different are the descriptions from the ones labeled "lead boy/girl" mentioned above?
By RichRyan1507
Coover5 wrote: February 16th, 2019, 4:37 pm
Slimered wrote: February 16th, 2019, 4:19 pm Who says it would be easily hackable? If it used an app that only the Ghostbusters had access to how could anyone hack it?

Besides, everything is done via smartphones now. It would be unrealistic for the film not to reflect this part of society.
The definition of hacking is "the gaining of unauthorized access to data in a system or computer" You're argument is how can it be hacked if someone doesn't have access. The entire pointing of hacking is gaining access to something you're not supposed to. And hardly anything is done by smartphones now. They are used for cameras, internet access and phone calls. That's it. Hardly a necessity.
I completely disagree. The technology would have no doubt been modernized and therefore much more advanced than before.
You can't disagree that service industries (like most industries) are standardized. it's done out of convience but also out of government control. It must be standardized. It's the law and as pointed out many times in the films even the Ghostbusters must listen to the government.

We're done discussing this. It's clogging up this very nice thread and your ideas have been blatantly wrong too many times for me to take you seriously.

This conversation is pointless and boring. I agree. Lol
Coover5, Sav C liked this
By Coover5
RichRyan1507 wrote: February 16th, 2019, 4:59 pm
This conversation is pointless and boring. I agree. Lol
I disagree. I think this is a chat not a conversation and it's not boring it's stupid. Dont like it? We can discuss it for 5 pages of this thread
Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
By savintheday
Judging by what we saw in the teaser, it seems the Ecto-1 and packs have been out of commission for quite some time. Most likely the Ghostbusters have been out of business since the end of GB2, so there's no basis for the equipment to be up to modern standards from the get-go.
RichRyan1507, Coover5, Sav C liked this
By Coover5
Agreed. Let's not forget the Busters weren't out of business in GBii because ghosts disappeared. Legal action was taken against them and they were pretty much forced to shut down. RGB had several storylines where business was slow for days or weeks but that hadn't happened in the movies.
Sav C liked this
By Alphagaia
Perhaps the kids find some new ways to upgrade the tech. In the descriptions one if them seems very good with technology.

Now not saying they are using phones, though if I can securely use it to pay my bills it can be used to open a trap.
It makes sense they don't really follow all the necessary safety rules. Just like the GB did in GB84.
Sav C liked this
By Alphagaia
That's why we had two people wrangle Slimer and Egon throwing the trap and opening it, right?

Plus you can tape one to your arm (like ATC) or to a pack. It's not impossible, and might actually help with busting a ghost while still shooting it if they can automatically drop and deploy traps, because as of right now, they need a second person for this.
By Coover5
I can see wireless traps being an option but a smartphone is simply too hackable. Wireless traps work because there are radio frequencies designated specifically for the government's use but certain ones can be licensed out to private companies. Put in a signal modifier too (those things that make sure your car key fob doesn't unlock every car in the parking lot) and you are pretty darn secure.

How hard would it be to hack the Ghostbusters smartphones? Call them out for a consultation. Pay the $200 fee or whatever it may be. Let them use your internet and once they do that they can be hacked. We are all warned about using unsecure wifi signals. Why? Because you can be hacked so easily that way. You could also follow the busters to their favorite fast food spot or coffee shop. Usually the wifi is being used there too.
By Wiggyof9
I don't want the tech to be a plot element. It's great in an expanded universe type ting, but not as a plot element in a movie. The tech testing and explanations in ATC were so odd, like they stopped the movie for them.

As far why they wouldn't upgrade the equipment, the more advanced the equipment to more it can fail. I think most engineers would take a manual switch over a wifi activated one. There is little benefit to having a remote activated trap via smartphone over a pedal activated trap. Mechanical devices are easier to repair and less likely to fail. A foot pedal also allows the person who threw out the trap to re-engage their proton stream if need be.

Basically, there is no real reason to "advance" the tech since it doe what it is suppose to do. The only exception I can see if the PKE Meter. Much like in the video game, the PKE working as a digital Tobin's Spirit guide makes sense.
Coover5, Sav C, savintheday and 3 others liked this
By Coover5
I had totally forgotten about the Tobin spirit Guide! When I would play Ghostbusters as a kid I would use my Pokedex toy as a ghost scanner. It would tell me all the information I needed so I could bust some heads (in a spiritual sense) I wouldn't want too much information given by the PKE meter but certainly things like Slime or Vapor ghost Class 1 2 3 4 or 5 (or whatever it went up to) and whatever the 1-1-18 in Ghostbusters 2 was related to.
By Davideverona
Alphagaia wrote: February 16th, 2019, 10:55 pm That's why we had two people wrangle Slimer and Egon throwing the trap and opening it, right?

Plus you can tape one to your arm (like ATC) or to a pack. It's not impossible, and might actually help with busting a ghost while still shooting it if they can automatically drop and deploy traps, because as of right now, they need a second person for this.
To be exact, Egon and Peter were wrangling Slimer and Ray threw the trap.

With the Scoleri brothers the wrangling was done by Ray and Peter and Egon did the trap honor.
By Davideverona
Coover5 wrote: February 16th, 2019, 4:55 pm
Davideverona wrote: February 16th, 2019, 10:19 am About the new characters descriptions...

On actoraccess.com i found the first two roles' breakdowns, and neither of them says "lead boy/girl".
I searched for the new roles but they aren't listed.
How different are the descriptions from the ones labeled "lead boy/girl" mentioned above?
Sorry, but I don't understand exactly what you want to ask.
By Coover5
Yeah, sorry about that. it would have made more sense had I realized a new page was starting.

What did the breakdowns say for the roles you found?
By Alphagaia
Thx for the who threw the trap clarification, it's still early here hehe.

Yeah, if they go for tech advancement, it needs to been shown, but only if it makes sense. If the kids put a trap on a toy car for instance, to capture a dangerous poltergeist from afar, that would make sense.

Anyways, if they do go for phones for something it either needs to be used for just that (not their own personal phones) or used without WiFi. Plenty of ways for the kids to think of that.

I'm specifically saying kids as I don't know how up to speed Ray and the others would be with new technologies, as that could be a joke and explanation why they never upgraded, but I'm fine either way.

Regarding equipment, would the slimepacks still be used? I wasn't a big fan of those. Not that I dislike them, but I prefer the original packs.
Last edited by Alphagaia on February 17th, 2019, 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
In my opinion, a foot pedal, as opposed to a smartphone, is much more practical for operating a trap. Didn't they use a foot pedal in ATC?

I prefer movies and TV shows avoid smartphones all together. Too many plots would be rendered unnecessary by smartphones. Besides, if you're gonna put a limit on smoking in movies, might as well put one on smartphones too.
Coover5, savintheday, deadderek and 2 others liked this
By Alphagaia
In ATC they used a spring to launch the trap, activated by the foot, and a smart watch kind of device around their arm to (de)activate the trap. Upside is you can move around after placing the trap.
Sav C liked this
By Coover5
I am not against the phones entirely. They would be great to replace whatever the belt gizmo did with an adapter or replace the walkie talkies and certainly might help update the pke meters or giga meters.

Updating the tech is a rather tricky prospect. I think we forget how long certain technology has been around. I've seen many people mention touch screens as modern but they are pretty old. They do get a mention in Jurassic Park (released in 93, made in 92 making the reference 27 years old) . 27 years doesn't sound like much but that's at least how long they have been in the public mind. Flat panel displays go back to the 50s or 60s and would have been well known to scientists like Ray and Egon in '84. What we think of as modern tech most scientists would have known about 15 to 20 years earlier at least. So if Ray or Egon had updated the equipment some of our ideas for advanced tech would already have been applied right after GBii. By early 90's they would have probably been using 3d printers to make custom equipment. I don't think I've seen an idea suggested that wasn't possible by '95.
Alphagaia, deadderek, Sav C liked this
By Alphagaia
In GB2 they used an advanced NES Controller, now they will be using a Switch.

Get with the program, Nintendo! Make a game out of it.

Regarding phones, they are ingrained in society, so I don't think it should be right to ban them all together, but I can understand it if people don't want them used in the tech, ofcourse.

A good way to prevent phones would be that ghosts can mess with them. On the other hand, we would have a throwaway reason why they cannot mess with the other equipment.
Last edited by Alphagaia on February 17th, 2019, 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
By deadderek
Alphagaia wrote: February 17th, 2019, 1:21 am In GB2 they used an advanced NES Controller, now they will be using a Switch.

Get with the program, Nintendo! Make a game out of it.
I really hope not. :/
By Alphagaia
I would buy a new GB game for the Switch so hard. Especially if made by Nintendo. The Luigi's Mansion series is tight!

That being said, I would also buy a PS4/XBox if a half decent GBgame would show up.
Last edited by Alphagaia on February 17th, 2019, 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
deadderek liked this
By Coover5
Alphagaia wrote: February 17th, 2019, 1:21 am A good way to prevent phones would be that ghosts can mess with them. On the other hand, we would have a throwaway reason why they cannot mess with the other equipment.
In the "real world" of paranormal investigations ghosts are believed to use communication devices (like static from a TV or Radio) or use recording devices (from reel to reel up to digital) to communicate. it actually makes pretty good sense not to use phones since they are in that same style. It would explain why they would keep to walkie-talkies. The push to talk function adds a little bit of security to it.
Alphagaia, deadderek liked this
By deadderek
Alphagaia wrote: February 17th, 2019, 1:36 am I would buy a new GB game for the Switch so hard. Especially if made by Nintendo. The Luigi's Mansion series is tight!

That being said, I would also buy a PS4/XBox if a half decent GBgame would show up.
OH! I misinterpreted your post. I'm down for a Switch based Ghostbusters game.

Luigi's Mansion was kickass!
Alphagaia liked this
By philmorgan81
deadderek wrote:OH! I misinterpreted your post. I'm down for a Switch based Ghostbusters game.

Luigi's Mansion was kickass!
Well there is going on be a Luigi's Mansion 3 on the Switch so there's that to look forward to if you enjoy wrangling spirits. ;)
Last edited by Kingpin on February 18th, 2019, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote codes
Alphagaia, deadderek liked this
By Alphagaia
I'm already drooling because Mario Maker 2 got announced, so thx for that! Totally forgotten LM3 was announced.

Sorry for getting oftopic!
Last edited by Kingpin on February 18th, 2019, 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.Reason: Keep it cleaner and classier, please!
By Davideverona
Coover5 wrote: February 17th, 2019, 12:27 am Yeah, sorry about that. it would have made more sense had I realized a new page was starting.

What did the breakdowns say for the roles you found?
Those were the socially akward girl and the paranormal enthusiast boy, the first ones that were leaked. Neither of them says "lead boy / lead girl".

On the same site I didn't found the new roles listed.
Coover5, deadderek liked this
By RichRyan1507
Guys... If we take the teaser trailer as a hint at the plot, which I think is the way to go, ALL OF THEIR SHIT has been wasting away in a barn for the better part of 30 years, and is malfunctioning. These are nuclear accelerators, not Bluetooth headphones. Kids will not be inventing tech to update them.

My guess is that if any new tech is introduced at all in this film that it will be some barely finished prototype that Egon was working on before he died.

This movie is going to be focusing on filling the holes in on what happened since 1989. Which is to say: probably not a lot in the world of the paranormal which, again, is why their equipment is rotting in a barn. We get caught up on why/how Egon died, what happened to the other Busters, and introduced to the new team.

This movie is either going to be a soft reboot/passing of the torch, or a conclusion of the original universe entirely. What does that mean? Look at The Force Awakens. It's going to be the blueprint if they're doing a soft reboot. Lots of nostalgia, seeing the old team and old equipment again, and having the old characters pass the torch and slowly die off. It's the only way to guarantee that they'd be able to continue the universe while the old actors are living. They're old and could die before filming or even green lighting for the next film.

Also, I don't mean to be the turd in the punch bowl, I just think all this speculation about smart phones and tech would be better for another thread about equipment.
By BatDan
I just can't get behind covering Egons death in some gloomy way. This isn't an X-Men film with some rainy funeral of ProfessorX, it's a continuation of a mostly light hearted 80s sci-fi comedy. Save the "dark" tones for the spooky stuff.

Unless it's explained in a comedic way, that I can get behind. Say, he actually drilled his head or he walked into another dimension for science. That's more "in character" with the comedic tones.
By timeware
Lots of nostalgia, seeing the old team and old equipment again, and having the old characters pass the torch and slowly die off. It's the only way to guarantee that they'd be able to continue the universe while the old actors are living. They're old and could die before filming or even green lighting for the next film.
The one thing that pissed me off about the new star wars movies was them essentially throwing away the original cast. At least Luke's death had some value in it. I love the new cast.
We all know that Egon will be gone. They can write the script without killing off the OG's. As for episode IX I have the feeling that they're going to bring in Vader for one last Harrah. I'm willing to bet a crunch bar that it has something to do with Ren having possession of Vader's skull and his dark side. After all possession is 9/tenths of the law. Lol.
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]