Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
My biggest take at the moment in regards to ATC is some of you are right, some people love to crap on it. But I would add there is also a percentage that sing it's praises, while ignoring many of it's faults. Basically, it became such an issue, that I feel many fans over compensate for it, which hinders having an honest discussion about the film. Just as much as saying "that films sucks" or "worst film ever" does.

I am a big horror fan, and horror franchises have dealt with similar issues. For a fair comparison, let's talk about the Halloween franchise (one that is as iconic and instantly recongizable as Ghostbusters). Rob Zombie's remake films divided that fan base as well. I for one, can't really stand those films (especially the 2nd). But I've known a few people that actually PREFER those films to the OG ones. Which I'm not talking about casuals, but true blue Halloween fans. While we may disagree about those films, the common ties of Michael Myers and the Halloween franchise is MORE important than opinions on individual films.

I could go on and on and provide more examples. But my overall point is, we can disagree about films, but not let it get us upset, and just be happy to be a fan of a great franchise.
Kingpin, Hairy Biker, deadderek and 2 others liked this
I was saying ATC would not make sense in a theatrical marathon because:

1. The franchise is heading in a new direction.
2. Afterlife does not share continuity with ATC.

That's it.
Kingpin wrote:There is a whole sub-forum devoted to Answer the Call, I suggest any further discussion on its merits, financial success (or lack thereof) and cultural impact be discussed there.
Good suggestion.
As for my thoughts on ATC being included in a marathon, it depends on the situation imo. Right now, a theatrical marathon should only include GB1, 2, and Afterlife. But later on down the line, it wouldn't bother me if it got included. Nor would a tv marathon that included it bother me. As long as it's not shown 3. Afterlife should be viewed 3rd in a marathon imo. Remakes always should be tacked on the end of a marathon (that's my rule anyways).

As far as whats more "official" canon wise imo, this might come as a shock, but ATC is more canon than the IDW comics are imo. I know a lot of GB fans LOVE those comics, and I don't have a problem with that, but they have been elevated by the fans, in terms of importance. Ghostbusters is first and foremost a film franchise, and as such, those are the true canon.

As far as canonical importance for the GB franchise it's as follows (imo)
1. Films
2. TVG
3. RGB/EGB
4. Comics
5. Anything else

I don't say this to dog on the comics, honestly I've never read them. But every now and then I get a GB fan trying to "check" me about GB lore, and they go on quoting the comics. I just want to face palm every time that happens.

As I've said before I'm a horror fan as well, and I love Evil Dead. An Ash vs Jason vs Freddy comic was made, you don't hear anyone trying to say that's some how official canon.
Hairy Biker wrote: August 29th, 2021, 5:25 pm
Coover5 wrote: August 29th, 2021, 5:17 pm c'mon. That's like comparing Lord of the Rings and Star Wars.
More like Star Trek and Star Wars.

LOTR and SW can easily be compared as they share many similar elements.
Side bar:

IMO, SW had higher highs (empire), but lower lows (TLJ). While the hobbit films are flawed, they are still fun. I feel LOTR is more consistent through it's 6 films than SW has been (even if I just count the og and prequels). Desolation of Smaug is an underated film in that franchise. I like it more than the two towers.

Just my 2 cents
Hairy Biker liked this
Kingpin wrote: August 29th, 2021, 5:43 pm There is a whole sub-forum devoted to Answer the Call, I suggest any further discussion on its merits, financial success (or lack thereof) and cultural impact be discussed there.
Can you talk to AJ about adding a Clerks II forum? I have so many opinions and I don't know where to go.

No you weren't. You were coming off very hostile in making your point which has caused us to butt heads before. I didn't want to de-rail the topic with one of those never ending arguments were so famous for or for us to start moderating the other. We get you don't like ATC.
In anycase if a theatre decides to run all 3 films in a hypothetical marathon it's their decision to do so whether or not it makes sense to. We can argue while being civil, and it's not ludicrous to say 2016 merchandise will be coming out when it's already being sold on Amazon and Walmart.

Side Bar: It would make more sense to watch Joker before the Batman Begins movies. I can't comment on the Joker is as the movie's really held no interest to me.
Kingpin, Alphagaia, pizzarat liked this
Coover5 wrote: August 29th, 2021, 7:29 pm Do you guys plan on sticking to traditional GB snacks (crunch bars, twinkies, coke) when you go to to see GB:A or do you have different favorites? Trix yogurt always made me think of GBII slime but I'm not sure I could sneak it in but loved eating it while I watch the movie. Love crunch bars with GB1.
I'll probably just go the same over priced shit my cinema has always sold. Popcorn with Malteasers, chco mint choc top and a coke.
MikeyJ122 liked this
Hairy Biker wrote: August 29th, 2021, 7:43 pm
Coover5 wrote: August 29th, 2021, 7:29 pm Do you guys plan on sticking to traditional GB snacks (crunch bars, twinkies, coke) when you go to to see GB:A or do you have different favorites? Trix yogurt always made me think of GBII slime but I'm not sure I could sneak it in but loved eating it while I watch the movie. Love crunch bars with GB1.
I'll probably just go the same over priced shit my cinema has always sold. Popcorn with Malteasers, chco mint choc top and a coke.
This will be my first time back to the theaters, as such, I gotta go with my theater watching staples... Popcorn, soda, butterfingers. Those are my preferred snacks while watching movies.
Gonna sneak in some Cheez-its and have a beer. That makes a Ghostbuster.
deadderek liked this
Coover5 wrote: August 29th, 2021, 7:15 pm
Kingpin wrote: August 29th, 2021, 5:43 pm There is a whole sub-forum devoted to Answer the Call, I suggest any further discussion on its merits, financial success (or lack thereof) and cultural impact be discussed there.
Can you talk to AJ about adding a Clerks II forum? I have so many opinions and I don't know where to go.
Keep me posted on this... I also have thoughts. 😁
deadderek liked this
:eduardo:
timeware wrote: August 29th, 2021, 7:28 pm

No you weren't. You were coming off very hostile in making your point which has caused us to butt heads before. I didn't want to de-rail the topic with one of those never ending arguments were so famous for or for us to start moderating the other. We get you don't like ATC.
In anycase if a theatre decides to run all 3 films in a hypothetical marathon it's their decision to do so whether or not it makes sense to. We can argue while being civil, and it's not ludicrous to say 2016 merchandise will be coming out when it's already being sold on Amazon and Walmart.

Side Bar: It would make more sense to watch Joker before the Batman Begins movies. I can't comment on the Joker is as the movie's really held no interest to me.
Wrong as usual. You can intepret things how you want, and I'm sorry you feel that way.

ATC being in a GB marathon? Makes sense. It's indeed part of the franchise.

ATC being in a theatrical marathon with 1 & 2? Doesn't really make sense when trying to promote the new movie that's in canon with those 2 films.

As for the 2016 merchandise available on Amazon and Walmart? You DO realize it's mostly old stock right? Not like there's more being cranked out.

As far as I can tell the only new ATC merchandise I've seen since the movie came out was the childrens book.

How about we just move along like Kingpin suggested?

SIDEBAR FOR YOU: Joker isn't in that continuity with the Dark Knight trilogy.
Coover5 wrote: August 29th, 2021, 7:15 pm Can you talk to AJ about adding a Clerks II forum? I have so many opinions and I don't know where to go.
I'll forward the suggestion to the circular filing cabinet.
Coover5 wrote: August 29th, 2021, 7:29 pm Do you guys plan on sticking to traditional GB snacks (crunch bars, twinkies, coke) when you go to to see GB:A or do you have different favorites?
It'd be the crispy M&Ms for me, which is usually my go-to for cinema treats. I'm doubly-committed to getting them in-house because as pricey as they are, they are a small way of contributing to keeping cinemas open in this current climate.
deadderek, mrmichaelt liked this
deadderek wrote: August 29th, 2021, 8:54 pm HEY NOW! Look what popped up on Jason's Instagram!
Intriguing. Wonder if it's from that day they filmed at the firehouse earlier this month.

(also my immediate thoughts were ugh NYC has the green bicycle lane, too)
Kingpin wrote: August 29th, 2021, 9:03 pm I'll forward the suggestion to the circular filing cabinet.
I thought this when I saw your post.
mrmichaelt wrote: August 29th, 2021, 10:22 pmIntriguing. Wonder if it's from that day they filmed at the firehouse earlier this month.

(also my immediate thoughts were ugh NYC has the green bicycle lane, too)
It wouldn't be, would it? They filmed at the Los Angeles firehouse earlier this month, whereas this would be the NYC one, yes?
deadderek, Corey91 liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: August 29th, 2021, 10:36 pm ]It wouldn't be, would it? They filmed at the Los Angeles firehouse earlier this month, whereas this would be the NYC one, yes?
Yeah, you're right. Had my wires crossed, lol. Hmm. Idk, then. Maybe he was recording in NYC for the Hasbro Pulse Con or some upcoming promo video?
deadderek, tylergfoster liked this
MikeyJ122 wrote: August 29th, 2021, 6:35 pm As for my thoughts on ATC being included in a marathon, it depends on the situation imo. Right now, a theatrical marathon should only include GB1, 2, and Afterlife. But later on down the line, it wouldn't bother me if it got included. Nor would a tv marathon that included it bother me. As long as it's not shown 3. Afterlife should be viewed 3rd in a marathon imo. Remakes always should be tacked on the end of a marathon (that's my rule anyways).

As far as whats more "official" canon wise imo, this might come as a shock, but ATC is more canon than the IDW comics are imo. I know a lot of GB fans LOVE those comics, and I don't have a problem with that, but they have been elevated by the fans, in terms of importance. Ghostbusters is first and foremost a film franchise, and as such, those are the true canon.

1. Films
2. TVG
3. RGB/EGB
4. Comics
5. Anything else

I don't say this to dog on the comics, honestly I've never read them. But every now and then I get a GB fan trying to "check" me about GB lore, and they go on quoting the comics. I just want to face palm every time that happens.

As I've said before I'm a horror fan as well, and I love Evil Dead. An Ash vs Jason vs Freddy comic was made, you don't hear anyone trying to say that's some how official canon.

LOL! Great points, but it's hard to say. I think to find the answer to that we'd have to scroll through an Evil Dead/Army of Darkness Forum. I mean if you go from just Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness how exactly does Ash wind up with the Book of The Dead in his possession in Ash Vs Evil Dead? If you count all the Comic and Video Game adventures it would certainly fill in the gaps between Army of Darkness and Ash vs Evil Dead, but I digress. Evil Dead can't even keep the continuity between films straight. LOL!

I just had to put my 2 cents in there I will keep the topic Ghostbusters related from here. ;):):):)
MikeyJ122 liked this
RichardLess wrote: August 29th, 2021, 2:24 am You know what I’ve been reading a lot of lately? A lot of disrespect for Ghostbusters. Stuff like “I can’t believe Ghostbusters is the kind of movie that has a fanbase that gets upset over things” or “Ghostbusters was just a silly comedy…why does anyone care about it”. I saw one post where a Twitter user with a check mark was mocking the idea of Ghostbusters having fans or any type of mythology. It’s a pattern I’ve noticed since Cinemacon.

Matt Zoller Seitz said something like how the first Ghostbusters was a comedy held together with nothing but electrical tape—which is where most of its charm comes from, why does anyone care?

It’s weird. Obviously not everyone is going to love the movies like we do but to question that those movies have any sort of loyal following? Strange.
A couple of comments on this:

Firstly, the reboot was politicised by Russian, far right & gamergate bots on social media. Tons of accounts popped up all over GB Reddit, Twitter, Facebook etc. proclaiming to be GB fans outraged by "female ghostbusters". They were not GB fans.
This has had a knock-on effect with the reaction to Afterlife because now the other pro-ATC, progressive and I wanna say left-leaning side of the culture war, view Afterlife as a slap in the face to those actresses and their agenda in general. See: Leslie Jones' response. So as was pointed out further down the thread, it's nigh impossible to have a calm and rational discourse about the merits of ATC.

Secondly, and this is a point that honestly BAFFLES me. A lot of "geek culture" dismiss Ghostbusters outright and actively sneer at it. These are consumers who likely enjoyed Big Bang Theoryand anything by the House of Mouse, but for some reason they find the idea of Ghostbusters having a wider universe beyond the first or second movie laughable. They don't have a problem with scifi franchises and superheroes getting a reboot or sequel every 3 years... but Ghostbusters is for some reason off limits. What's even weirder about this, is these people seem to think they are the world's biggest Ghostbusters fans and the authority on what Ghostbusters should be.

What's also odd is the erasure of Real Ghostbusters from history. I don't think the powers that be have treated RGB with the respect it necessarily deserved in the intervening 30 years, compared to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, for example. But even when the official channel brought RGB back, popular "geek" outlets were literally calling out Real Ghostbusters fans as "saddos". Knowing how much "astro-turfing" has gone on in the political sphere around ATC, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if studios have bots to badmouth competitors franchises. But even if you take off the tinfoil hat, Real Ghostbusters has for some reason developed a negative reputation and I cannot understand why at all. It was hugely successful, it expanded the lore, the concept is as legitimate as any other long-running scifi, Star Trek, Doctor Who, Buffy... and yet "Geekdom" has turned it's back on RGB and it's fans.

One other final comment I've seen a lot on social media is the South Park 'Memba' berries. It's ridiculous Ghostbusters gets this reaction for it's second sequel in 30 years.... and yet these people will be flooding the cinemas for Star Wars Episode X, or Batman Again. It's complete bullshit and the honest answer is these people are either shilling for other companies or they're dumb asshats.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: August 30th, 2021, 5:25 am
RichardLess wrote: August 29th, 2021, 2:24 am You know what I’ve been reading a lot of lately? A lot of disrespect for Ghostbusters. Stuff like “I can’t believe Ghostbusters is the kind of movie that has a fanbase that gets upset over things” or “Ghostbusters was just a silly comedy…why does anyone care about it”. I saw one post where a Twitter user with a check mark was mocking the idea of Ghostbusters having fans or any type of mythology. It’s a pattern I’ve noticed since Cinemacon.

Matt Zoller Seitz said something like how the first Ghostbusters was a comedy held together with nothing but electrical tape—which is where most of its charm comes from, why does anyone care?

It’s weird. Obviously not everyone is going to love the movies like we do but to question that those movies have any sort of loyal following? Strange.
A couple of comments on this:

Firstly, the reboot was politicised by Russian, far right & gamergate bots on social media. Tons of accounts popped up all over GB Reddit, Twitter, Facebook etc. proclaiming to be GB fans outraged by "female ghostbusters". They were not GB fans.
This has had a knock-on effect with the reaction to Afterlife because now the other pro-ATC, progressive and I wanna say left-leaning side of the culture war, view Afterlife as a slap in the face to those actresses and their agenda in general. See: Leslie Jones' response. So as was pointed out further down the thread, it's nigh impossible to have a calm and rational discourse about the merits of ATC.

Secondly, and this is a point that honestly BAFFLES me. A lot of "geek culture" dismiss Ghostbusters outright and actively sneer at it. These are consumers who likely enjoyed Big Bang Theoryand anything by the House of Mouse, but for some reason they find the idea of Ghostbusters having a wider universe beyond the first or second movie laughable. They don't have a problem with scifi franchises and superheroes getting a reboot or sequel every 3 years... but Ghostbusters is for some reason off limits. What's even weirder about this, is these people seem to think they are the world's biggest Ghostbusters fans and the authority on what Ghostbusters should be.

What's also odd is the erasure of Real Ghostbusters from history. I don't think the powers that be have treated RGB with the respect it necessarily deserved in the intervening 30 years, compared to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, for example. But even when the official channel brought RGB back, popular "geek" outlets were literally calling out Real Ghostbusters fans as "saddos". Knowing how much "astro-turfing" has gone on in the political sphere around ATC, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if studios have bots to badmouth competitors franchises. But even if you take off the tinfoil hat, Real Ghostbusters has for some reason developed a negative reputation and I cannot understand why at all. It was hugely successful, it expanded the lore, the concept is as legitimate as any other long-running scifi, Star Trek, Doctor Who, Buffy... and yet "Geekdom" has turned it's back on RGB and it's fans.

One other final comment I've seen a lot on social media is the South Park 'Memba' berries. It's ridiculous Ghostbusters gets this reaction for it's second sequel in 30 years.... and yet these people will be flooding the cinemas for Star Wars Episode X, or Batman Again. It's complete bullshit and the honest answer is these people are either shilling for other companies or they're dumb asshats.
I want to talk about the "geek culture" that you spoke of. I agree, I've seen far to many comments about saying things similar to what you said, and it bothers me as well. Even though I consider myself a MCU and SW fan as well, they tend to be the ones handing out a lot of this crap imo. It's almost like fans of other franchises view Ghostbusters as "less than." They use the comedy aspect to make this point. The biggest thing that bothers me about this train of thought, is it tends to be being spear headed by millennials that were not even alive during Ghostbusters hey day (84-90). For those 6 years Ghostbusters was at VERY least an A tier franchise (a head of plenty other franchises like Ninja turtles, power rangers, and plenty others that "they" feel strong about). Sure SW, and now the MCU are S tier, but because Ghostbusters isn't S tier, it is some how not worthy of a "mythology?"
philmorgan81 wrote: August 30th, 2021, 2:47 am
MikeyJ122 wrote: August 29th, 2021, 6:35 pm As for my thoughts on ATC being included in a marathon, it depends on the situation imo. Right now, a theatrical marathon should only include GB1, 2, and Afterlife. But later on down the line, it wouldn't bother me if it got included. Nor would a tv marathon that included it bother me. As long as it's not shown 3. Afterlife should be viewed 3rd in a marathon imo. Remakes always should be tacked on the end of a marathon (that's my rule anyways).

1. Films
2. TVG
3. RGB/EGB
4. Comics
5. Anything else

LOL! Great points, but it's hard to say. I think to find the answer to that we'd have to scroll through an Evil Dead/Army of Darkness Forum. I mean if you go from just Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness how exactly does Ash wind up with the Book of The Dead in his possession in Ash Vs Evil Dead? If you count all the Comic and Video Game adventures it would certainly fill in the gaps between Army of Darkness and Ash vs Evil Dead, but I digress. Evil Dead can't even keep the continuity between films straight. LOL!

I just had to put my 2 cents in there I will keep the topic Ghostbusters related from here. ;):):):)
Yes Evil Dead DOES have some continuity problems (mostly with the Necronomicon, like you pointed out). Having said that, that's really the only major continuity issue with the franchise. There is the whole beginning of Evil Dead 2 (which isn't a continuity problem, as much as a rights issue with the first film). But most fans just view the beginning of ED2 as a "flashback" scene.
MikeyJ122 wrote: August 30th, 2021, 6:56 am
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: August 30th, 2021, 5:25 am The biggest thing that bothers me about this train of thought, is it tends to be being spear headed by millennials that were not even alive during Ghostbusters hey day (84-90).

Millennials, were born between 1981 and 1994/6. They are currently between 25 and 40 years.

Just to throw it out there that I am a millennial and RGB was HUGE when I was in elementary.
Last edited by Kingpin on August 30th, 2021, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote coding

At some point, probably just better off opening up[…]

Spengler/84 wand Gun Track

So...I had more than a little problem with dis[…]

Preview for #2 on DH's page. https://www.darkhors[…]

PKE Meter build project!

DO you have this files on sale?