Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By philmorgan81
LOL! With what little we actually know there is really no telling what scale we are talking. It is true that a good Ghostbusters Story doesn’t have to be large in scale. The film could work the same way, but I am getting a feeling the scale and the connection to the original films is way more complex than we think. After all look at the original movie. The epic end of the world scenario started out as an investigation into a haunted apartment. I think the same kind of thing can happen in this movie. Things will start off small and then they will escalate. There is no way of telling, but if a new crop of Ghostbusters are in this and that is a 100% certainty and if there is a possibility of the remaining original crew suiting up with them my guess is that the scale could be bigger than we think. :):):)
By Dr.D
Excellent point. Not enough people give Ivan credit for his "domino theory of reality" and how he applied it to the first movie. The slow escalation in terms of the paranormal threats builds so flawlessly that at no point do we as the audience question what we are seeing. It is honestly one of the most brilliant, yet least talked about qualities of the original movie. In that regard, if GB20 were to start with something that is seemingly innocuous or at the very least only slightly threatening which builds like Gozer, I'd be totally on board.

But please...not actually Gozer. I am desperate for a new villain. I'd love to see something really out there. As weird as Stay Puft would have been in 84.
By philmorgan81
Dr.D wrote: July 11th, 2019, 3:50 pm Excellent point. Not enough people give Ivan credit for his "domino theory of reality" and how he applied it to the first movie. The slow escalation in terms of the paranormal threats builds so flawlessly that at no point do we as the audience question what we are seeing. It is honestly one of the most brilliant, yet least talked about qualities of the original movie. In that regard, if GB20 were to start with something that is seemingly innocuous or at the very least only slightly threatening which builds like Gozer, I'd be totally on board.

But please...not actually Gozer. I am desperate for a new villain. I'd love to see something really out there. As weird as Stay Puft would have been in 84.

Thank you very much and I am pretty sure if it comes to a new villain, I am sure this movie is going to deliver something we haven’t seen in any of the GB media or current lore. The studio and the team doing the IDW comics right now are working closer than ever with each other to make sure the comic doesn’t repeat or have any story beats similar to this current film. ;)

What ever the supernatural threat is I am pretty sure it will be something NEW. :):):)
Dr.D, *NormalGamer* liked this
By RichardLess
Dr.D wrote: July 11th, 2019, 3:50 pm Excellent point. Not enough people give Ivan credit for his "domino theory of reality" and how he applied it to the first movie. The slow escalation in terms of the paranormal threats builds so flawlessly that at no point do we as the audience question what we are seeing. It is honestly one of the most brilliant, yet least talked about qualities of the original movie. In that regard, if GB20 were to start with something that is seemingly innocuous or at the very least only slightly threatening which builds like Gozer, I'd be totally on board.

Do you guys know who Chris Mcquarrie is? He's a writer/director whose worked on the last couple Mission Impossible movies. He was talking about Ghostbusters & how awesome it is due to the "domino" thing on Twitter a few days ago, and then James Mangold(director of "Logan", "Walk the Line" and a bunch of other movies) got in on the conversation. Then more people joined it. It was awesome seeing all these respectable Hollywood types giving Ghostbusters props for how it's constructed, rather than just "Ghostbusters=Funny". It's an amazing well put together film.
By timeware
That film stands the test of time in regards to not just it's structure, but special effects. The next installment has a big boot to fill. Meaning it has to not only out do ghostbusters 2, it definitely has to out do ATC. This may be one of the last films Dan and Co may do for a long while even if given small parts. Heck they could even be hiding filming the sequel back to back.
By robbritton
RichardLess wrote: July 10th, 2019, 2:34 pm
janeb984 wrote: July 10th, 2019, 12:58 pm Y'all get so distracted. No one even answered the question. Lol

Yes. I get Spengler vibe. I saw a pic of him in glasses and laughed like a kid at the likeness.

If course, I won't care unless Janine is grandma!

(Sorry not good a pic tags)
I was going to say no. Besides maybe the nose? Having just finished S3 of stranger things I didn't really see it...

But Holy crap. In that pic? He totally looks like Spengler spawn. Wow. It's uncanny
A thought occurred to me last night, what if Finn Wolfhard is straight up playing actual Egon? Doesn’t take much imagination to have some inter-dimensional shenanigans do away with the Egon we knew, and then have him be ‘ressurected’ as a kid out in the sticks somewhere. If he was unaware of what had happened it would cover the ‘family don’t know how they’re related to the events of Ghostbusters’ angle, and if Ray figured it out it would totally justify him trusting a kid with a proton pack!

I mean, almost definitely not, but it’s a thought, eh?
By Kingpin
Ehhh... A resurrected/reincarnated Egon feels kinda lame. It skips over a legitimate plot point of the Ghostbusters potentially dealing with their own mortality for something that I just don't feel fits the Ghostbusters universe as it currently stands.
By timeware
It surprises me that reincarnation hasn't been really touched on before. I mean rgb has the gb's dying then coming back by the end of the episode but that's really not the same thing.
By robbritton
Kingpin wrote: July 12th, 2019, 7:59 am Ehhh... A resurrected/reincarnated Egon feels kinda lame. It skips over a legitimate plot point of the Ghostbusters potentially dealing with their own mortality for something that I just don't feel fits the Ghostbusters universe as it currently stands.
I don’t disagree at all! Forgot to say I didn’t think it was a good thought particularly! :)
By Alphagaia
If they go that route, I would rather they do flashbacks to Egons youth becoming friends with Ray in the same neighborhood the Coon Family resides now, where they accidentally trigger a spectral event that starts feeding on the town or something.
*NormalGamer* liked this
By Alphagaia
timeware wrote: July 12th, 2019, 8:11 am It surprises me that reincarnation hasn't been really touched on before. I mean rgb has the gb's dying then coming back by the end of the episode but that's really not the same thing.
Well, Vigo wanted to ressurect himself.
By Kingpin
timeware wrote: July 12th, 2019, 8:11 amI mean rgb has the gb's dying then coming back by the end of the episode but that's really not the same thing.
Eh? Which episode was that? The only one close to sounding like that was Egon's Ghost.

One of the few times resurrection has been handled in Ghostbusters lore (beyond Vigo in Ghostbusters II), it was in the The Other Side plot arc from IDW, which based on how generally poorly it was received, has not been referenced since.
By *NormalGamer*
Alphagaia wrote: July 12th, 2019, 8:21 am If they go that route, I would rather they do flashbacks to Egons youth becoming friends with Ray in the same neighborhood the Coon Family resides now, where they accidentally trigger a spectral event that starts feeding on the town or something.
I had the same thoughts when looking at Finn; he does look like a younger Egon so a flashback makes sense then reincarnation.
By Dr.D
Really outta left field, but this idea just really cracked me up...what if Egon's spirit inhabits someone else? Anyone remember the season of South Park where Kenny and Cartman shared the same body? Really weird, but in Ghostbusters I could totally buy that.
By RichardLess
I can't wait to reread some of these insanely far fetched theories on July 11th 2020. Should prove hilarious.

Fan theories are fun and all until they start becoming fan demands, almost like what happened to Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Game of Thrones. The theories proved so popular and interesting that when the movie didn't deliver people got angry and disappointed. Just something to keep in mind. So if Paul Rudd is just a teacher and never puts on a proton pack, don't be disappointed.
deadderek, RichRyan1507, Kingpin and 2 others liked this
By Alphagaia
RichardLess wrote: July 12th, 2019, 10:47 am I can't wait to reread some of these insanely far fetched theories on July 11th 2020. Should prove hilarious.

Fan theories are fun and all until they start becoming fan demands, almost like what happened to Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Game of Thrones. The theories proved so popular and interesting that when the movie didn't deliver people got angry and disappointed. Just something to keep in mind. So if Paul Rudd is just a teacher and never puts on a proton pack, don't be disappointed.
I liked ATC, I'm incapable of being disappointed.

/Jk
deadderek, robbritton liked this
By deadderek
Thankfully while ATC was just mistake after mistake...

...everything coming out of 2020 seems to be the exact opposite. From the slow burn of information being released...as well as the teaser...everything you hear indicates our franchise is back on track.

The most exciting time in DECADES for ghost heads. We're getting our first real Ghostbusters movie since 1989!
By Dr.D
Not gonna lie...that pic finally got me.

Ask any other schmuck who works in the industry, especially as thankless a job as PA, and they'll tell you eventually you get jaded by all the BS. Movies are first and foremost a business now and that business side is as sleazy as you'd imagine and even worse. I try to remain objective about most of this stuff because I've see how the sausage is made. Even when this was announced I tried to remain at best cautiously optimistic.

But here we are, 30 years after the last movie came out and days before filming begins on the first true sequel to Ghostbusters since 1989, and one that seems to be under the care of someone who genuinely cares about this franchise and wants to see it succeed as much as any of us.

Now there's something you don't see everyday.
RichRyan1507, deadderek liked this
By RedSpecial
I've spent a chunk of time on the other side of the wall myself working on admittedly smaller productions, providing practical effects work.

I can also attest to the sleaze that's often involved as well as the infuriating lack of care about the quality and consistency of work, or even care for the people tasked with producing the work for unscrupulous types. .
Not to mention the culture of overworking people in certain disciplines.

This though, so far seems to be taking the proper approach.
We've seen practically nothing mind you but what we have seen smacks of attention to detail, genuine care and reverence for the source material.
It's still way too early to call either way but if the production continues on the path that it seems to be, it could be pretty special.
Dr.D, deadderek liked this
By Dr.D
Heard that about overworking. Last two shows I was on were for bigger networks...one show had me working 17 hour days for three weeks solid. And the worst part about that is when you overwork people it hurts the end result. If you're entire crew is tired and pissed, you're not getting the best outta people.

But yes, this seems to really be a combination of Sony wanting that IP money and Reitman having an idea that won over seemingly everyone. That's the exciting part to me, not just that we're getting a new movie. No, it's exciting to me that a guy who didn't want to make this movie came up with an idea so good he's shooting his shot.
deadderek liked this
By janeb984
I still wonder if the teaser is actually part of the movie plot... I mean, if they don't know they are connected to ghostbusters,but the girl is aware of ghostbusters, and they are moving back to their home town, then how do they not put it together knowing there's ghostbuster stuff in the barn, the barn that's been in the family?

It'd make more sense to me if Paul Rudd was Oscar and it was his barn.
philmorgan81 liked this

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]