Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Alphagaia wrote: November 16th, 2020, 9:49 am Makes the most sense as you don't need to open the back while driving. Seems hazardous otherwise.
It's been done in the other canons. lol. But yeah.
JonXCTrack wrote: November 16th, 2020, 9:58 am Here's another thought: The trap is remote controlled and there is now a gunner seat. One person would have to be driving, while the other was using the chair. A third person would then have to launch the trap and use the remote control to navigate the trap. Who would these other people be?

Here's another thought: Were these modifications performed due to Egon's failing health and/or age and thus his inability to haul the gear around like he did in the 80s?
Interesting. I was thinking it was a foregone conclusion they were mods added before Ecto-1 moved to Summerville. Perhaps not. But I'm pretty sure it was before and would have been Winston driving, Ray on the gunner seat, Egon launching and operating the RTV, and Peter making quips.
philmorgan81 liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: November 16th, 2020, 1:49 pm
philmorgan81 wrote:
Hey that is a neat thought. I don’t think we will see any kind of flashback in the movie, but I can imagine that the way it played out during the Ghostbusters Glory days was like this. Either Ray or Winston would be doing the driving.

Those 2 were the ones that were seen driving the Ecto in the films. So one of them would be driving while the other would be in the passenger side using the PKE equipment to track the entity they were chasing. Peter would probably be the one in the gunner seat and Egon Would be the one to deploy the trap. That is the first combo that popped in my head there is probably an even better combination. Both as a cast and as characters these guys had great symmetry.

The way these new gadgets on the Ecto function in the field could represent just how well the OGs worked as a team. They were the perfect team of Ghostbusters. Which is probably why it had been so challenging passing the torch in another film for so long. :):):)
Thanks. But I'm wondering if these modifications were performed after the Ghostbusters disbanded. In which case, who would help Egon? He can't drive, operate the remote trap, and be in the gunner seat at the same time. I suppose it still could have been Ray, Peter, and Egon, but what if it were other people that he befriended in Oklahoma? Alternatively, if the modifications were made before the group disbanded, it would have had to be done after the events in Ghostbusters 2, as we see that the original Ecto-1 did not have suicide doors, and the ladder was still on the right side of the car in that film.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I'm wondering if the modifications are hints at a backstory that we are going to be getting.

Awesome thoughts and we are getting into great area for discussion. Just going by the trailer I am guessing that these modifications were done after the events of Ghostbusters 2, but before the events of this film. I can see them making these modifications to the car after the 1989 soon after the New Years Eve Crossrip.

Now I know that the events in the 2009 video game are questionable at best because they are very unlikely to make any kind of reference to it. Until Afterlife is out everything is still on the table. In the game the Ecto 1 was modified to the Ecto 1B which looked like a nice blend between the classic Ecto 1 and Ecto 1A, which had a nice addition of a Super Slammer Muon Trap installed on top of the car. Those modifications took place a year after the events of GB2. I can see the car going through several different modifications during the span of 32 years. Just because there hasn’t been a ghost sighting in 30 years doesn’t mean that the business went belly up immediately. A lot happened in the 5 years between GB and GB 2. Half the fun of Afterlife will be finding out what that is. :):):)
Wafflerobot liked this
RichardLess wrote: November 15th, 2020, 2:46 am Based on the little we know about this movie there are certain things that...if they turn out to be true I sense the critics sharpening their knives. Expect the word “fan Service” to be used as a derogatory comment.
While I think you're probably right, I'm not sure if it will matter too much. If I may modify a familiar saying, we're living in a day and age where a picture of baby Yoda can travel halfway around the World Wide Web while the critics are still turning on their word processors. :)
Dr.D wrote: November 16th, 2020, 3:48 pm No one ever said Egon was out there alone.
This really has me thinking. It would be difficult for Egon to construct the secret lab all by himself, and there would need to be at least two people to drive and also operate the gunner seat. Is it possible that Stantz the car expert was there at some point too? Those cryptic spray-painted signs, including one with Stantz's Revelations quote from the first movie, are super intriguing...
Dr.D, Sav C liked this
My apology's for derailing the thread but I know there are many of us that are Rick and Morty fans here. The thing you need for thanksgiving is here! Practice that social distancing when it comes to passing the butter!

https://thebutterrobot.com/#in_the_box

Spray paint it white, add some hazard stripe stickers,ghost trap doors, slap a no ghost logo sticker on it, this little robot could look like Egon built it.
groschopf wrote: November 16th, 2020, 10:03 am Has this been discussed? It looks like the flightsuits are made from ripstop material. I was reminded when seeing some Hasbro packaging this morning.
This Post Contains Spoilers
Good catch--I think you're right! Herringbone is one of my favorite patterns, don't get me wrong, but I think the ripstop is more practical for a flight suit.

Personally, I'm hoping that one of the charcoal flight suits also makes an appearance, with or without the Ghostbusters II logo on it. Because they were only used sparingly in the second movie, the charcoal suits have a kind of mystique to them. :)
You get more of an appreciation for them when you get to use them in the video game. Never got the golden proton pack though. Maybe Dan will offer a recorded thank you for Afterlife Pre order tickets like they did with the game. That was an unexpected nice surprise.
Wait, the Gozerian Rookie Suit is the charcoal suit, right? I unlocked it back in April, but haven't played the game since. I had just finished three big papers, and intended to start on the four big papers I had due for the next week, but ended up playing Ghostbusters all day instead. I then took the next day off, since staring at the TV screen all day burned my eyes out. Fortunately I managed to get all four papers done on time, and they were all a lot better than anything I've written this semester. But I can't complain. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I thought the Gozerian Rookie outfit was interesting, since on the Wii it makes the Rookie's eyes glow, and I think the Rookie becomes slightly see-through. Maybe I'll play through the video game again in the coming weeks, instead of studying like I should be.
You know all this talk of the uniforms got me thinking. This prospect also gets me excited about exactly just how many people could possibly be suiting up. There are the traditional Khaki uniforms then there are the dark uniforms. My guess is in the trailer they are showing us the four original uniforms.

I mean they went out of their way to show us four uniforms hanging up, so I know that all four could just belong to Egon, but I am in the belief that the four uniforms we see belong to each respective OG buster and Egon’s just happens to be fully shown in front. I mean we saw that in Ghostbusters 2 that Egon had quite a few uniforms in his locker when Janine was helping Louis suit up. Maybe the guys have just as many spare uniforms.

I thInk it would be awesome to see the three remaining OGs suit up in there respective gear and have all the new team be wearing hand me down spare uniforms.
If Mr Grooberson or Callie suit up it would be neat to see both dark and khaki uniforms. If we haven’t come close to scratching the surface of this movie, I can’t wait to see how big that hidden lab is and exactly how many more goodies are hidden there. Remember when Jason Reitman tweeted that picture of the cover to Tobin’s Spirit Guide last year? I had almost forgotten about it until we started talking about the uniforms. The wait may be torture, but by the time they actually release this movie I think it will be something amazing. :):):)
Sav C, mrmichaelt liked this
philmorgan81 wrote: November 16th, 2020, 10:47 pm You know all this talk of the uniforms got me thinking. This prospect also gets me excited about exactly just how many people could possibly be suiting up. There are the traditional Khaki uniforms then there are the dark uniforms. My guess is in the trailer they are showing us the four original uniforms.

I mean they went out of their way to show us four uniforms hanging up, so I know that all four could just belong to Egon, but I am in the belief that the four uniforms we see belong to each respective OG buster and Egon’s just happens to be fully shown in front. I mean we saw that in Ghostbusters 2 that Egon had quite a few uniforms in his locker when Janine was helping Louis suit up. Maybe the guys have just as many spare uniforms.

I thInk it would be awesome to see the three remaining OGs suit up in there respective gear and have all the new team be wearing hand me down spare uniforms.
If Mr Grooberson or Callie suit up it would be neat to see both dark and khaki uniforms. If we haven’t come close to scratching the surface of this movie, I can’t wait to see how big that hidden lab is and exactly how many more goodies are hidden there. Remember when Jason Reitman tweeted that picture of the cover to Tobin’s Spirit Guide last year? I had almost forgotten about it until we started talking about the uniforms. The wait may be torture, but by the time they actually release this movie I think it will be something amazing. :):):)
What you put in the spoiler tags is 100% confirmed to be how the product is. It's highly likely the movie as well.
philmorgan81 liked this
Well if the product does 100% reflect what we will see in the film that is teriffic. :)
Hear come those goosebumps again. They have done an amazing job playing this thing close to the vest. I look forward to the next big announcment. :):):)
I look forward to the big premiere!

I think I'll live in a theatre for a while when it's finally released.

Just watched the trailer again and I wish they updated the effects. I get Muncher looks blurry because they had to hurry, same for the corn background which looks fake, but they had ample time now to fine-tune the effects, at least update the trailer for us fans!
deadderek liked this
Alphagaia wrote: November 17th, 2020, 1:14 am I look forward to the big premiere!

Just watched the trailer again and I wish they updated the effects. I get Muncher looks blurry because they had to hurry, same for the corn background which looks fake, but they had ample time now to fine-tune the effects, at least update the trailer for us fans!
The only trailer update I've seen went from "Coming 2020" to "Next Year".
Alphagaia liked this
Paco wrote: November 17th, 2020, 2:10 am its a miracle no one's tried hacking Sony (AGAIN) to see any leaks.
I'm sure they upgraded their defences. BTW wasn't the leak done because Sony made the Interview and NK wanted revenge or am I misremembering?

It really did a number on them.
deadderek wrote: November 17th, 2020, 2:22 am
Alphagaia wrote: November 17th, 2020, 1:14 am I look forward to the big premiere!

The only trailer update I've seen went from "Coming 2020" to "Next Year".
Relevant for many years to come.
deadderek liked this
JonXCTrack wrote: November 16th, 2020, 3:33 pm
Hairy Biker wrote:
In the trailer the kids seem surprised that it has a gunner seat, even exclaiming "It has a gunner seat?!"
Logan Kim's character expresses surprise overtly. The other two sure look surprised, but don't actually say anything, so maybe they're just more excited that their modification is getting a positive reaction.

I agree with you and Kingpin though, I think these are Egon's modifications. So it really begs the questions of "Why do this?" and "When was this done?" and "Before the kids discovered Wrecto-1: Who was driving, who was operating the trap, and who was using the gunner seat?"
Agreed.
If in universe Ecto-1 and Ecto-1A are two seperate vehicles maybe Egon upgraded Ecto in anticipation of more business but they shut down/ disbanded before hand. It would explain the prototype look of everything.
mrmichaelt liked this
Davideverona wrote: November 17th, 2020, 6:39 am Regarding updated effects.

Take a look at the Lego spot. There is the "Ecto-1 turns the corner with Phoebe blasting everything" bit. Looks to me that the proton beam is more defined and less purple.
I've rewatched it a couple times and I don't see a difference...
Dr.D wrote: November 17th, 2020, 8:00 am Probably pretty safe to assume the effects in the trailer are not final. It's fairly common for trailers to have unfinished or unpolished visual effects.
Oh I know. Still remember the GB2 trailer where that lawyer gets dragged out of the courtroom by nothing.
Kingpin liked this
deadderek wrote:
Davideverona wrote: November 17th, 2020, 6:39 am Regarding updated effects.

Take a look at the Lego spot. There is the "Ecto-1 turns the corner with Phoebe blasting everything" bit. Looks to me that the proton beam is more defined and less purple.
I've rewatched it a couple times and I don't see a difference...
Where can I find the "Lego spot"?
pizzarat liked this
philmorgan81 wrote: November 16th, 2020, 11:09 am
RichardLess wrote: November 15th, 2020, 4:51 pm

Wait...you don’t like Fargo?? Oh man. The Coen Bro’s are my jam. Fargo is...have you only seen it once? Maybe give it another shot.

Anyways. I hope no one here let’s a critics change their opinion, i can’t see that happening. The problem is: I do care if this movie is successful. I do. And critical reception can influence box office.

More and more people purchase movie tickets on their phones. And quite a few movie ticket apps have built in rotten tomatoes scores.

LOL! Well I was pretty young when I saw Fargo. Yes it was just the once. ;). It would probably be a great idea to see it with a pair of fresh eyes. I certainly hope you don’t think that I was attacking a movie that YOU enjoy. Trust me Fargo must be pretty good. After all it has it’s own TV series. Which if I am not mistaken actually has Carrie Coon. It was the only example I had in the back of my head about not always agreeing with what professional critics say. :):):)
Haha no I didn’t think that at all. Tho I 1000% recommend giving it another shot. I can’t tell you how many movies I saw as a younger person & didn’t appreciate at the time only to rewatch later & fall in love. Infact one of my favourite films of all time, Master & Commander The Far Side of the World, was one of those. I didn’t like Fight Club the first time. Or even franchises like James Bond or Star Trek. I didn’t come to them until later in life. Granted the opposite also happens. I use to love Gladiator. Now? Not so much. Or Superman Returns. I was so pumped to see a Superman movie that I actually fooled myself into thinking it was a good movie. Or The Dark Knight. Yeah that’s right. I don’t like The Dark Knight lol.

Then there’s movie I find it hard to watch due to something about the actor. I can’t watch anything with Kevin Spacey. For obvious reasons. I can’t separate the actor from the character.

That’s what’s great about movies like Ghostbusters 1 & 2. I’ve seen them thousands of times and they hold up or even get better with time. Isn’t it great when you watch a movie for the 1004th time & you notice a detail that you that never caught before or suddenly a line of dialogue clicks and become funny? For example in Ghostbusters 2 when Dana comes over to Venkman’s apartment after the Bath Tube slime attack and she goes to put Oscar down & Venkman says “May I?” It was only like 5-6 years ago where I was like oooh! That’s why he says those things about Oscar being short & being a burden. He’s literally “putting him down”. How many times had I seen that moment and suddenly it now works in a whole new context. I love that!
Bison256 wrote: November 17th, 2020, 1:23 pm
Alphagaia wrote: November 17th, 2020, 1:14 am I think I'll live in a theatre for a while when it's finally released.
Honesty I'm not, half the time I go to the theater, they're alway jerks talking during the movie, kids crying etc. I just want to see this movie I don't care how I do it.
How about a theatre with crying kids and jerks?

Seriously though, unless it's a Saturday or Friday, I find evening and morning cinema's to be the best times to go.

I used to be quite the regular cinemagoer, and I can still count the amount not jerks and crying kids on one hand, especially in the more deluxe Cinemas.

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]

At some point, probably just better off opening up[…]

Spengler/84 wand Gun Track

So...I had more than a little problem with dis[…]

Preview for #2 on DH's page. https://www.darkhors[…]