Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
robbritton wrote: December 17th, 2019, 2:28 pm
Bison256 wrote: December 17th, 2019, 12:20 pm
I meant the biblical quote on the junk we saw in the photos of house was something the production put out to make fans think it was Ray's House, I don't think they'll lie to us about them being Egon's family.
Pretty smart set dressing if so! We fool ourselves by being too obsessed in the first place! I like it!
Yeah, the only other thing I can think of right now for an in-universe reason is maybe the town folk or sheriff put those signs there at the edge of the property to scare the local kids away and keep them out.
robbritton liked this
Not this movie pal. His the bricks with that stuff.

I'm sticking to this plot theory: Paul Rudd and Carrie Coon become the new Keymaster and Gatekeeper. Kids are in over their heads when the OGBs show up and they have a final showdown with Gozer in the mine.

Do we think the big guy is gonna come back? I know we all saw the wall ad on set.
RichRyan1507, Sav C, deadderek and 3 others liked this
Honestly, the possibility of them doing Keymaster/Gatekeeper again is one of the things that concerns me the most. I'm hoping that's the misdirect.

I would also prefer no Mr. Stay-Puft (just acknowledging the brand still exists in the world is cool), and maybe even no Slimer (although there are probably creative ways to get him in that won't bother me).

This desire to bring everything back is generally a real crutch for sequels (or reboots -- in the interest of holding out an olive branch to everyone who just downvoted me, I will say the references and callbacks could've been cut in half, if not more, in the reboot).
seekandannoy, deadderek, Corey91 and 2 others liked this
This content received too many dislikes. Click SHOW to view
droidguy1119 wrote: December 17th, 2019, 3:10 pmNo movie will please everyone -- there are of course the "why's it about kids?" crowd and the "it should be set in NYC" crowd and this is another crowd.

I think I'm both of those!

I want a city setting
Adults
Ray Parker Jr music
A big enemy or ally (stay puft or statue of liberty type)
I want slimer
I want the original style action scenes none of this gunner seat crap
I want the orginals to have a big part in this
I want Peter / Dana ship
I want Janie back

Now it's no secret I liked 2016. But that film said "this is a new continuity for a New era" so my expectations were different.

This like or it or not but a huge part of marketing (multiple news sites doing the same story) was "this is back to the orginal continuity back back to ghostbusters everyone loved and won't be as different or shocking as ATC" that's the message that they keep getting across. Not in in those exact words but multiple articles and multiple interviews that consisted of : 1 tell people ATC failed , 2 tell them you've learned from it 3 mention the orginals 4 mention continuing the story line. Even teaser used car , proton beams ect... To hint at it.

So that was what was promised. What we got however was a focus on kids , using ecto 1 like it was was the f****g turtle van , a completely different setting , a tone that felt like stranger things not ghostbusters.

Now had they focused on new location , kids and rebooting (remember not all reboots are remakes some are soft reboots like this seems) in the announcements and leading up to this I genuinely think I probably wouldn't be agaist that trailer as much as I am.

To put it another way basically they promised us Ghostbusters 3 , it's not even called that and the title and trailer make it seem like it's the men in black international of Ghostbusters. And I know negativity will get people on here loosing their mind or whatever but it's a valid point.

I think I've tried to stress that no one seems to be addressing. The acting isn't bad , the effects are not bad. The story is not bad. The location is not bad. Most of the hype for it up until now promised Ghostbusters 3 and the Ghostbusters we all knew and loved then gave us this instead. It's more unrecognisable and disappointing I'm not saying bad.

There maybe people that can enjoy this. But I feel the hype machine and marketing for this has been different to what they have shown. You get that all the time though intriguing and interesting ways. An example the movie Babadook watch the trailer and it's promising you a creature film. Watch the film , it's not that. And I hated that first viewing for that as I was sold a different movie. Second viewing knowing the type of film it was I absolutely loved it.

I'm hoping this is at least making sense to people. I know some anti-atc crowd think anyone complaining is doing it for revenge or some big conspiracy. I tried explaining it before but I'm not sure I got the point across because people think I just want it to be exactly frame for frame like the first film. When it's not that , it's simply before the trailer the hype was telling us it would be exactly like 1+2 the Ghostbusters people loved and the trailer drops and it looks like it's a different movie than the one they were telling us it was for.
droidguy1119 wrote: December 17th, 2019, 4:18 pm Honestly, the possibility of them doing Keymaster/Gatekeeper again is one of the things that concerns me the most. I'm hoping that's the misdirect.

I would also prefer no Mr. Stay-Puft (just acknowledging the brand still exists in the world is cool), and maybe even no Slimer (although there are probably creative ways to get him in that won't bother me).

This desire to bring everything back is generally a real crutch for sequels (or reboots -- in the interest of holding out an olive branch to everyone who just downvoted me, I will say the references and callbacks could've been cut in half, if not more, in the reboot).
This one is tricky for me, because I also feel Stay Puft might be played out, but I also really like the concept from the video game that Gozer is locked as Stay Puft in our dimension and it’s fairly clear Gozer is coming back in some form. I’m caught in a marshmallow maze!
SSJmole wrote: December 17th, 2019, 4:50 pm
droidguy1119 wrote: December 17th, 2019, 3:10 pmNo movie will please everyone -- there are of course the "why's it about kids?" crowd and the "it should be set in NYC" crowd and this is another crowd.

I want a city setting
Adults
Ray Parker Jr music
I want slimer
I want Peter / Dana ship
I want Janie back

So basically what you want is Ghostbusters 1 again, go watch it back and stop repeating the same thing over thanks
twmedford23, Corey91, deadderek and 3 others liked this
I had a list of wants too before the trailer dropped but after seeing it I'm just exited to see what we're going to get.

Although to be fair the trailer did tick off one of the biggest points on my list in that it showed that the props have been made to be faithful to the originals with any changes made to them being relatively minor and making sense within the context of the films.

The one and only thing I can say that I really want from the movie now is a decent amount of screen time and involvement in the core of the story for the original cast, especially Bill, Ernie and Dan.

That aside though I'm just looking forward to seeing where it leads us.
And I still can't quite believe it's actually happening after all these years of false starts and rumour.
I doubt we'll be seeing Stay Puft again beyond the faded mural of him.
SSJmole wrote: December 17th, 2019, 4:50 pm So that was what was promised. What we got however was a focus on kids , using ecto 1 like it was was the f****g turtle van , a completely different setting , a tone that felt like stranger things not ghostbusters.
You'll have to elaborate about how the kids are using Ecto-1 like the Turtle Van.

Throughout The Real Ghostbusters and the first two movies, the guys were racing around New York in the car, and in the former, adding new mods to it. There isn't really anything the kids do in those (roughly) 18 seconds that the Ghostbusters haven't done over the accumulated hours of movies and cartoons.

And they're getting into similar scraps as the adults did, we all remember how out of depth the guys were when they went around the Sedgewick. :)

I was as disappointed initially at the fact we weren't going to see most, if not all of the new story in New York, but I've had to reluctantly concede that after two movies in the city, a change of location helps keep things fresh.

A smaller location can help focus the story, and a middle-of-nowhere town looks all the more overwhelmed when something big starts to dominate the sky.

And then there's the old saying from humble beginnings, mighty oaks grow, and that may be one of the facets of Jason's message, that these kids, who might grow up to be the next generation of Ghostbusters, had their induction on a low-key level.

To me, Jason, Sony, and the hype in general weren't promising "Ghostbusters 3", they were promising the next installment of the Ghostbusters franchise. I also don't feel they ever suggested it was going to be like the first two.

"Ghostbusters 3" had taken on a life of its own through all the hopes the fans had built up over the 20-25 years of speculation, and the occasional tidbits we'd see coming from Dan. Realistically speaking, "Ghostbusters 3" had evolved beyond something that could be achiveable once we reached the year 2000 - Bill would turn 50, Dan 48, Harold 56, and Ernie 55 - The guys were likely reaching the limit where all four of them could run around with somewhat heavy props on their backs, and Harold was starting to put on the weight he would have towards the end of his life.

Beyond the decline in their physicality, Bill's reluctance, coupled with his veto pretty much assured "Ghostbusters 3" wasn't going to happen. And the rest as they say, is history.

And I think the reason why they didn't call it "Ghostbusters 3" is because they:

1) Knew they couldn't live up to the expectation associated with that title.
2) Didn't want to try live up to an expectation they suspected wouldn't be realistically achiavable.
3) Didn't want the baggage that had accumulated with the name over the 20+ years of development hell.
4) Wanted a fresh start, something both connected to the past two films, but also segues into potential new films if their newest offering is successful.

The weight of this new movie can't be shouldered completely by the cast of the originals anymore because with each passing year the chances that another one will pass away will grow - that's part of the reason why we've got a very young cast. When building an offering that can be spun into a new multi-film franchise, you employ a young cast to ensure longevity... And to get kids interested in the film so that they convinced their parents to go see it, and buy the merchandise.

I think maybe in the long run it's not really anything wrong with the content we've seen in Afterlife, it just might be your expectation of what a third Ghostbusters film should have has set the bar too high for you. :whatever:

Due to how Ghostbusters II was received, due to how Ghostbusters: Answer The Call was received, and due to the circumstances of the original cast either having aged out of the physical nature of the role, or passed away, the Ghostbusters franchise has had to freshen itself up, shake things up, and inject itself with new blood. Jason too will have his own distinctive style over his father's, and that may also be making things seem different, but for Ghostbusters to succeed, for the new film not to either end up a warmly-regarded copy of the original, or a divisively-regarded reboot, it's had to evolve beyond our comfort zone to a degree.

And maybe that's a good thing for us to. :) Because we're not the only people this movie's being made for, it's being made for the next generations as well.
SSJmole, Corey91, deadderek and 7 others liked this
McCrea wrote: December 17th, 2019, 5:53 pm
SSJmole wrote: December 17th, 2019, 4:50 pm

I want a city setting
Adults
Ray Parker Jr music
I want slimer
I want Peter / Dana ship
I want Janie back

So basically what you want is Ghostbusters 1 again, go watch it back and stop repeating the same thing over thanks
Nice of you to cut off the part where I literally explained this exact reaction and even said I don't want it exactly the same but you can do a new story with the same stuff , but you win internet points I guess. Good job?

Kingpin wrote: December 17th, 2019, 6:08 pm
SSJmole wrote: December 17th, 2019, 4:50 pm So that was what was promised. What we got however was a focus on kids , using ecto 1 like it was was the f****g turtle van , a completely different setting , a tone that felt like stranger things not ghostbusters.
You'll have to elaborate about how the kids are using Ecto-1 like the Turtle Van.
The whole gunner seat scene seemed ripped straight out
of the turtles cartoons.
Kingpin wrote: December 17th, 2019, 6:08 pm I was as disappointed initially at the fact we weren't going to see most, if not all of the new story in New York, but I've had to reluctantly concede that after two movies in the city, a change of location helps keep things fresh.
I disagree one of the big movie franchises right now is marvel. How many are in the city? It's the environment that's best for them. And those movies aren't written amazing , fun yes but if this writer can't make a city have a good story after 2 to or 3 movies maybe that's a worrying sign.

Kingpin wrote: December 17th, 2019, 6:08 pm To me, Jason, Sony, and the hype in general weren't promising "Ghostbusters 3", they were promising the next installment of the Ghostbusters franchise. I also don't feel they ever suggested it was going to be like the first two.
If you felt that way that's fair. I can respect other people's opinions. it just didn't seem that way is every place reporting on it and everything was saying ghostbusters 3 and talking about as I mentioned why the last one didn't work and why this is going to be like the originals

I would rather not have the movie made that to have it be this drastically different. It's why I respect what Paul did with ATC as want Ghostbusters for new age? Reboot it. As then it doesn't hurt original. This looks like it could effect the original timeline. Like stuff they're adding in this already made me has me worried I'll think "what's the point? Gozer just comes back so kids can kill them probably. They didn't accomplish anything there's no point in this now" it looks too different + risks hurting originals.

However they keep saying I am waiting for new trailer to say I'm wrong and i completely understand others will you feel differently and that's great. As we said I like the talks where both sides expressed that feeling and explain what they are thinking. It makes a better discussion
SSJmole wrote: December 17th, 2019, 6:46 pm
McCrea wrote: December 17th, 2019, 5:53 pm

Nice of you to cut off the part where I literally explained this exact reaction and even said I don't want it exactly the same but you can do a new story with the same stuff , but you win internet points I guess. Good job?
Doing a new story with the same elements is mostly a reboot, it has been done and it flopped. I'm not winning internet points, you've been rambling about the same thing for over 10 pages now, get over it that's all I'm saying. This thread is about spoilers and theories about the new movie, not a dissertation about what YOU want in it, there are other threads for that.

No bad feelings

Thank you
RichRyan1507, deadderek, moviemaker29 and 3 others liked this
McCrea wrote: December 17th, 2019, 7:31 pm
Doing a new story with the same elements is mostly a reboot
Wow who knew every marvel movie was a reboot.

Also it's called GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE DISCUSSION THREAD , we are discussing. By your logic even trailer talk shouldn't have been allowed as trailer =/= spoilers or theory.

See this is the type of things people mean when they say the fanbase is toxic. Like what we like hate what we hate or go elsewhere 🤦‍♂️
Hmm, I don't remember the van having a gunner seat in the TMNT cartoon. The original 80s one? I vaguely remember a pop out seat in the toy but no weapon like a blaster. But yeah, same concept.

To me, it reminded of what you'd seen in war movies/series like from navy helicopters. And even the battles aboard the Millennium Falcon when Luke sat in the gunner bay. Since there was the subtext of off the shelf military parts being used for equipment by Ray and Egon, a gunner seat seems like an easy next step. Though I'd imagine Ray thought of the seat idea because it could be fun not because it was practical to have during a high speed chase with a non-anchored entity. :D
I dont think we'll see another keymaster/gatekeeper thing, the marketing expo in Europe shown just 1 terror dog and I believe you need 2 to open the doors. But, they also saw artwork for Gozer's temple. So who knows.
Hmm. Maybe it is just Shandor's tech starts failing 90+ years later, then a chain reaction that leads to a malfunction in the Summerville Temple of Gozer that punches a crack into the barrier between dimensions and what we have is an P.K.E. "leak" -- and entities surely but surely are able to get through like dust bunny ghost we saw in the trailer but then as the tech starts to further deteriorate, felt in the form of the increasing number of earthquakes, a Terror Dog gets through. And the overarching threat is the dam will burst if they don't figure out how to patch up the "dam," it will burst and inundate the planet with ghosts, corporeal manifestations, and gods. An outcome even more worse than what Gozer, Shandor, or Vigo could have caused.
robbritton liked this
timeware wrote: December 17th, 2019, 8:05 pm Glad your not the only one of us to get the turtle van inspiration. I invite anyone to watch the intro to the 80's cartoon and pay close attention. The Gunner scene is almost mirrored.
they don't show it in the 80's cartoon intro they just show them jumping out of the open roof... I know the seat is on the toy I had one but I cant remember it being in the cartoon :whatever:
mrmichaelt liked this
I'm all for a new big bad. Keymaster's been done. I would love to see a terror dog on its own without the kids keeping it as a pet story line.

Hell they could use Shandor himself this time if the video game isn't Canon. Maybe the terror dog is collecting souls to bring Shandor back? I don't think they Would be focusing on the Shandor mining company if that wasn't the case.

Hmm. Maybe I'm remembering things wrong but the Gunner seat is featured in the episode where they raid stockman's lab.
Hey guys please forgive me if this is totally idiotic, but I just realized that the original Ghostbusters were actually featured in the Ghostbusters Afterlife trailer. Granted it is in the repurposed footage of the original film on the Tablet screen, but all 4 Ghostbusters are clearly seen. I know that doesn't really count because we don't see them in the flesh in the present and with Egon it is sadly not possible, but it was something silly that just occured to me. LOL! :):):)
Sav C liked this
SpaceBallz wrote: December 17th, 2019, 10:03 pm I dont think we'll see another keymaster/gatekeeper thing, the marketing expo in Europe shown just 1 terror dog and I believe you need 2 to open the doors. But, they also saw artwork for Gozer's temple. So who knows.
What if it's a good terror dog!

They got scared yes and the way the shots were framed they could have been evil or just guarding the Ghostbusters stuff.

We saw in the comics and the game they studied a ghost , admittedly Slimer. What if in the time between 2 and afterlife they managed to get hold of one. The main reason is someone like Egon or ray would study it to learn more about it and gozer created entities. The other reason is they can use it to guard their technology from anyone trying to sabotage or hurt it.

I mean be honest if you you decided to keep a terror dog as a scientific study / guard dog. Would you not make sure you have set up in the middle of nowhere just in case it got out?

I highly doubt this is a thing it was just a fun little idea that popped in my head. A domesticated terror dog. They could sell a lot of merchandise of it. Hell I want a terror dog plushie! Lol
SSJmole wrote: December 17th, 2019, 6:46 pmThe whole gunner seat scene seemed ripped straight out of the turtles cartoons.
Similar, yes. But as we saw with the Kenner toy and (later) the original The Real Ghostbusters promo reel, almost from its inception the cartoon had the concept of one of the guys riding Ecto-1 from outside of the vehicle, and blasting ghosts from the position they were stationed at. It's a bit of a departure from the live-action universe, but it being inspired by the cartoon side of things softens the edge.
SSJmole wrote: December 17th, 2019, 6:46 pmI disagree one of the big movie franchises right now is marvel. How many are in the city? It's the environment that's best for them. And those movies aren't written amazing , fun yes but if this writer can't make a city have a good story after 2 to or 3 movies maybe that's a worrying sign.
I don't feel you're being particularly fair on Jason. First and foremost, mines are traditionally not found in cities, and this mine is clearly significant to the plot. There may also be additional reasons as to why the action has moved out to the middle of nowhere that we're not privvy to yet. And just because we think we could "write a better story", doesn't mean we actually would, or could.
SSJmole wrote: December 17th, 2019, 6:46 pmwhy this is going to be like the originals
"Like the originals" is an extremely subjective term, and even if it can be taken mostly literally it doesn't mean it'd be completely identical to Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II. A film can be like it's predessesors in terms of tone, comedy, cinematics or casting, while still being quite different in other aspects. Rogue One and Solo are like the films of the original Star Wars trilogy, while still doing some things very differently (no opening crawl, new musical themes).
mrmichaelt wrote: December 17th, 2019, 7:59 pm Hmm, I don't remember the van having a gunner seat in the TMNT cartoon. The original 80s one? I vaguely remember a pop out seat in the toy but no weapon like a blaster. But yeah, same concept.
The memory was lost in my dusty old head, but as they say, a picture paints a thousand words:

Another thought for the conjecture box: The mine isn't an alternate temple per se, but Shandor's failed prototype.
SSJmole, mrmichaelt, deadderek and 2 others liked this
I'm fine with it being Gozer 2: ectoplasmic boogaloo as long as it's a fresh take on things, why not?
The nature of the character leaves it ripe for changes.

I'd much prefer the movie used all of the established lore instead of just any new threat for the sake of it.
Besides, it has a the effect of things going full circle and puts a nice button on things given the GB1 love already being shown.

It would be nice to see a bit of NYC and the firehouse again but I disagree that it's necessary or that they should retread all of those things from the original movies just for the sake of it.

I like the direction it's being taken in.
It makes what links and callbacks there are to the originals much more impactful that way.
Instead of just feeling like a retread.
deadderek, lozbloke liked this
I will say to "I don't feel you're being particularly fair on Jason. First and foremost, mines are traditionally not found in cities, and this mine is clearly significant to the plot. "

Yes because he wrote it that way. It could have easily been in a Subway or a sewer.

Also don't get me wrong I don't believe I could have wrote a better story I'm not one of those hand I just believe there was probably other people that could have.

Like id love to see Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely write it after infinity war or Art Marcum and
Matt Holloway after men in black international. Or Allan Heinberg to help do the screenplay for wonder woman.

Also I will say saying don't worry you can still be like the originals and slightly different like solo a Star wars movie is not making the point you think it is 😂 that movie was terrible and it was so bad they really thought about how they were going to do Star wars movies. I mean the movie even feels the need to explain why he's called Han solo 😂 rogue one that you mentioned did make the point.

But I will say that to cool like I said I like these discussions I do respect your point of view like I keep saying I do really hope this is good and I just hope it's just the trailer I didn't like. that's why I'm posting discussion about what I'm hoping is in it and ideas and stuff too. I'm hoping it's really good and I'm hoping next trailer makes this a "must see in the cinema" movie for me. As right now I'm more likely to see Free Guy or purge 5 that come out same day or week before (I don't go to cinema as often as I should so out the 3 I'll pick one to go to)
Kingpin wrote: December 18th, 2019, 3:04 am The memory was lost in my dusty old head, but as they say, a picture paints a thousand words:

Thanks! Yes, they might have used it once or twice in season 1 then I guess BS&P or the focus groups made sure it was never used again.
Kingpin wrote: December 18th, 2019, 3:04 amAnother thought for the conjecture box: The mine isn't an alternate temple per se, but Shandor's failed prototype.
True. A failed prototype could account for the cause of the earthquakes. Hmm.
SSJmole wrote: December 17th, 2019, 6:46 pm The whole gunner seat scene seemed ripped straight out of the turtles cartoons.

Just looks like the synthesis of a Real Ghostbusters product and concept sketches to me. The Ecto-1 was constantly doing unusual things in the show -- lowering the back door for the Ecto-2 to roll out, floating on water, using a jump system to launch over a fence... the gunner seat is very on-brand.

robbritton, RichRyan1507, SSJmole and 1 others liked this
groschopf wrote: December 18th, 2019, 6:19 am
SSJmole wrote: December 17th, 2019, 6:46 pm The whole gunner seat scene seemed ripped straight out of the turtles cartoons.

Just looks like the synthesis of a Real Ghostbusters product and concept sketches to me. The Ecto-1 was constantly doing unusual things in the show -- lowering the back door for the Ecto-2 to roll out, floating on water, using a jump system to launch over a fence... the gunner seat is very on-brand.

The concept art from GB2 looked super cool, so I can assume that nothing about the vehicles in Afterlife will have design inspiration from that vehicle :P
The gunner seat is cool for the Wrecto, but if they include that stupid claw I will hate it. (no i won't)
groschopf wrote: December 18th, 2019, 6:19 am

That's pretty cool.

Though the cartoon had lots of stuff not for movies. It was why I never really liked Ghostbusters 2 as much as they changed so much to match cartoon I felt. I still enjoy it im not hating on the second one just not as good.

But that's pretty cool and I like the artwork. Well I still don't like it for the film that's awesome. The bottom picture intrigues me the most it doesn't look like ecto 1 to me it looks like someone painted the DeLorean from back to the future to be ecto 1 and somehow that makes it more awesome lol
mrmichaelt wrote: December 18th, 2019, 4:00 am
Kingpin wrote: December 18th, 2019, 3:04 am The memory was lost in my dusty old head, but as they say, a picture paints a thousand words:

Thanks! Yes, they might have used it once or twice in season 1 then I guess BS&P or the focus groups made sure it was never used again.
Kingpin wrote: December 18th, 2019, 3:04 amAnother thought for the conjecture box: The mine isn't an alternate temple per se, but Shandor's failed prototype.
True. A failed prototype could account for the cause of the earthquakes. Hmm.
Thanks for posting that pic! I fell asleep watching TMNT last night lol :blush:
BRD 527 wrote: December 18th, 2019, 7:18 am Ray was sitting ontop of Ecto1 in the original RGB Promo ;)
Which is more fun as the other day I watched a real ghostbusters documentary on YouTube with interviews and they talked about the network trying to remove ray from the series later (around Slimer and the real ghostbusters I think) which is just baffling as even from the beginning he's important to the cartoon and the brand overall plus I remember Dan was the only cast member from the original that watched the cartoon and enjoyed it. That is a weird thing to think they're almost did. I loved all four of them and wouldn't want any of them to go.

I'm fully aware most people here probably already knew this but i just found out and was like "what!?" So I mean fun for me lol
Hasbro Ghostbusters

Apparently there are rumours of another announce[…]

Doug Keithley/sponge face/Ghostlab42 made a excell[…]

Did it come out today? Ugh the art is so bad tho[…]