Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Bison256 wrote:
Dr.D wrote: July 20th, 2021, 7:03 pm To get things kinda back on track, I feel like Chicago has always had a weird cosmic connection to Ghostbusters. Murray, Aykroyd, and Ramis all have strong personal ties to the city along with the fact that the video game and comics have firmly established the idea of a "Chicago Office", it's cool to see the new movie is going to, even in a small way, have a few connections to home of Second City.
In my mind Egon, Peter and Ray did their undergraduate studies and meet at the university of Chicago.
What I've been wondering is why Callie, Trevor, and Phoebe are in Chicago to begin with. Sure, it's possible that Callie was born in NYC and moved. But it's also possible that Egon spent some time in Chicago back in the 1980s. I still believe that Egon was a sperm donor, Callie was born of that, and Egon left her everything he had when he learned of her existence. I suppose a recipient of the donation could have lived in Chicago.
If Egon did have a kid it would be for experimental purposes only. Heck, if Egon has *sex* it would be for experimental purposes only. “I wanted to measure the friction generated between two human bodies during the act of coitus & see if that energy could be stored & how many joules we’d lose during the transfer process” or “I impregnated a female with my sperm generated during a category 4 hurricane. Would the sperm succeed during a time of prolonged duress or fail?” Or “during the Vigo case of 1989, in order to measure & observe the effects positive energy had on the slime, and vice versa, Ray & I engaged in multiple acts of sexual relations with local women. The effects were fascinating. During one encounter we measured the positive GeV’s during a female orgasm of 69.9!”

Or how about this. We’ve all heard of the Ivan Reitman film Junior, right? What if Egon & Ray did that same experiment and Ray is the “mother” of Carrie Coon’s character. Boom! Junior is a Ghostbusters spinoff!

Egon shouldn’t be in a relationship. Ever. His relationship is his work. Egon sees “love” as nothing but chemical reactions happening in the human body. An idea meant to “trick” the populous into pro creating, thus carrying on the species. He sees relationships as Human’s denying their primal animal instincts.
JonXCTrack wrote: July 21st, 2021, 8:22 am
Bison256 wrote: In my mind Egon, Peter and Ray did their undergraduate studies and meet at the university of Chicago.
What I've been wondering is why Callie, Trevor, and Phoebe are in Chicago to begin with.
They moved there with Phoebe and Trevor's Dad before he exited the picture?
There are just so many options:
Callie moved there with her mother growing up (because of work, schooling or family). Callie moved there for college. Callie moved there for work. Callie moved there for husband's work. Callie moved there for schooling for the kids (ex: private school or magnet school for phoebe), Callie moved there because she wanted to. Callie moved there to get away from someone/something. Callie was born there.
Coover5 wrote: July 21st, 2021, 11:25 amCallie was born there.
Her parents left her that house. And now another house. Houses for everyone!

I'm thinking no Peter, Ray, or Dana in a new trailer, just Winston and maybe Janine, because of the billing. Enough to convey the message "this is a sequel," but not so much that it gives away what Jason and the rest of the team might still want to be a surprise to most people.
Coover5 liked this
timeware wrote: July 21st, 2021, 4:49 pm
droidguy1119 wrote: July 21st, 2021, 4:40 pm Her parents left her that house. And now another house. Houses for everyone!
Check under your chair!
Oh. My. God. How did I not notice my chair was sitting on top of a two-story spooky old farmhouse!!!
Damn, Oprah. You're good.
tylergfoster, Kingpin, Sav C liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 2:55 am Let's get the hype train going.

Trailer 2 when? Pre-orders for New Fright Features when?
Today!? Tomorrow? Monday?
No one knows for sure. We do know for a fact a ton of merchandise comes out on the 1st of August though.
deadderek wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 2:58 am
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 2:55 am Let's get the hype train going.

Trailer 2 when? Pre-orders for New Fright Features when?
Today!? Tomorrow? Monday?
No one knows for sure. We do know for a fact a ton of merchandise comes out on the 1st of August though.
Word I’m hearing(this is just rumour mill stuff) is that Sony is thinking of doing some re arranging again. I don’t know what that means for Ghostbusters, if anything, but there are a lot of people freaking out about the Delta variant. Then again, even before Covid, this kind of chatter was par for the course but if we don’t have a new trailer by Aug 1st, I’m saying there’s some smoke there.

Then again, I was told something was going to be announced a few weeks back(not related to release date but GB related) and nothing ever came of it so who knows. Sometimes in this business people like to make it seem like they know more than they do, or are more connected than they really are, so they just make shit up. Does anyone remember when the website Ain’t it Cool News was like the biggest deal ever? Well studios HATED that place. They feared it. That site had the power to shut projects down(just ask J.J Abrams) & get directors hired/fired. Well a former co worker of mine worked for New Line back in the day & their job was to give legit scoops to AICN on competing projects & after the news became true then they’d be a trusted source, right? So then they’d wait awhile and what would happen is eventually this person give a fake scoop that AICN would run as fact. The goal was to slowly erode the legitimacy of that site as a source of news. That’s how desperate they were to maintain control.

If you read the Sony hacks it really gives you an idea how full of shit these companies really are. The total disrespect of Ivan Reitman is…man. It’s hard to read. But you also see how alot of the Hollywood trade papers are just doing the bidding of these companies, holding off or killing stories. It’s ugly.
pizzarat liked this
gbraider82 wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 5:30 am There will never be a 100% perfect scenario to release the film. Just like there will never be a 100% perfect time to have a baby…

Release the movie in November.
If anything, they might take more $$$ bringing the release forward, which every insider says absolutely will not happen. I mean it could've released during this 3-4 week period end of July and caught the school holidays.

By November theatres could be closed or a ghost town.
We will watch it whenever it is released, but for the casual moviegoer, pushing it back again puts that negative doubt it will be released. After 2016, we don’t need more negative energy when it comes to this franchise. That’s not a knock on ATC, but it was having to defend itself even before it was released.
Alphagaia, Corey91 liked this
I'm not really worried about the casuals, as they will get on board when the actual marketing for the movie starts in earnest, and the premise of thrills, family and ghostbusting will get the most butts in seats.

It's the big fans who are craving a trailer the most, but they are already guaranteed to watch it. Heck the more info those get, the more likely they are to wave it away because it doesn't live up to their ( mostly un)fair expectations.
I seriously hope we are not looking at another release date delay. I feel like what interest and bit of momentum this film had in terms of getting the public's attention has already long since been lost and they are starting over from scratch in getting interest built up again.

If we really are on the verge of getting trailer #2 soon, I sincerely hope the marketing machine goes into overdrive from now until November to hype the hell out of this film. If the GB film franchise has any sort of future moving forward, they need this to be on people's radars and for those people to be excited about it. I feel like the longer this gets delayed, it is really hurting the long-term survival of continuing the franchise in-canon with the original films as we get further removed from them with time.

I so badly want this movie to be a huge success for Sony and I am sure they have reasons for every move they are making right now, but they've gotta get people excited about this film, the new cast, etc. and if the film is successful, hopefully greenlight a sequel ASAP to keep the ball rolling.

I went to see Black Widow in theaters last week and even with the smaller attendance, I had really hoped to see a trailer for Afterlife, simply just to remind families that it's coming. Sony has got to get it in front of people - the merch is a great start, but what has been released so far is not really serving as a reminder this film is coming. To a lot of people, it could simply be generic GB merch. They need to crank out another couple trailers, clips, interviews, social media ads, hell, even billboards to inject some excitement into people. The money that they might have saved on a leaner budget, really needs to be put into the marketing, full force.
groschopf liked this
I just plain don't understand on various social media/forums/etc hearing people complain about "oh there's not hype".

Well...no shit?

Things obviously haven't been going according to original plans, and we're superfans. Of course we're going to notice no new material. But the marketing machine hasn't started yet, we all just need to calm down. It's the average movie-goer that's going to bring in the bucks on a new Ghostbusters movie, and when the times comes things will ramp up.

We just have to be patient.
Kingpin, Hairy Biker, robbritton and 1 others liked this
We all just want this so bad after such a long time of waiting for our franchise revival.
Nearly all the others have had more revisions and updates but GB has taken 32 years. We want to see it everywhere like Batman or Marvel, and the marketing is now just a very short wait. With Covid on top of things we’re all feeling a bit crazy.
deadderek liked this
Well...no shit things haven't gone according to their original plans over the past year and a half. And I am sure they have had plenty of time to re-evaluate their marketing approach and be ready for release under the current circumstances.

But because things have been so screwed up and they did just barely get the general public's appetite whet so long ago, that is precisely why I believe it is all the more reason that the ball needs to get rolling on reminding people about this film. I don't see the discussion about getting the hype built up as complaining at all, but rather a realistic observation that it is indeed something that needs to get ramped up soon to maximize getting general audiences engage and amped up.

Now I imagine that because there are so many delayed films that are starting to come out over the next few months, they are likely letting some of those get out of the way (and out of people's minds) before they begin driving attention to GB:A, but I don't think using what time they have left from now to November is too long of a window to ramp things up.

I am not saying any of this out of a lack of patience - God knows we have been patient; more so than just about any other solid fanbase out there. I just don't think it is a bad idea to get things moving full steam ahead....right about now.

I am sincerely hoping that trailer #2 truly is right around the corner within the next week or so. It needs to be.
moviemaker29 wrote:I seriously hope we are not looking at another release date delay. I feel like what interest and bit of momentum this film had in terms of getting the public's attention has already long since been lost and they are starting over from scratch in getting interest built up again.

If we really are on the verge of getting trailer #2 soon, I sincerely hope the marketing machine goes into overdrive from now until November to hype the hell out of this film. If the GB film franchise has any sort of future moving forward, they need this to be on people's radars and for those people to be excited about it. I feel like the longer this gets delayed, it is really hurting the long-term survival of continuing the franchise in-canon with the original films as we get further removed from them with time.

I so badly want this movie to be a huge success for Sony and I am sure they have reasons for every move they are making right now, but they've gotta get people excited about this film, the new cast, etc. and if the film is successful, hopefully greenlight a sequel ASAP to keep the ball rolling.
I also am worried about another delay. But that's all the more reason not to engage in a marketing blitz just yet. We're four months away, and a lot can change in four months. It would end up being a total waste of money to pump out ads and merchandise now, only to have the film postponed to May 2022. My original prediction for another trailer was around labor day (early September). Two months just feels a bit safer.

Should they have released Afterlife in August, September, or October? Maybe. But hind sight is 20/20 and at the time the decision was made, November seemed like a safe enough distance away that we all would be on the other side of the pandemic. If box office results for June/July are any indicator, moving the film up might prove to be somewhat profitable, but not nearly as much as they were hoping for.
moviemaker29 wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 10:42 amI don't see the discussion about getting the hype built up as complaining at all, but rather a realistic observation that it is indeed something that needs to get ramped up soon to maximize getting general audiences engage and amped up.
For what it's worth, most of the comments I see on Facebook these days when it's talking about the loss of momentum in the hype for Afterlife haven't been well-reasoned observations, they've been petulant "the hype's been wasted, I'm done with this movie!" tantrums.

That's not to say the well-reasoned discourse isn't happening, but I've noticed it less-often.

Fortunately we're largely above such histrionics here. :)
moviemaker29 wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 10:42 amI am not saying any of this out of a lack of patience - God knows we have been patient; more so than just about any other solid fanbase out there. I just don't think it is a bad idea to get things moving full steam ahead....right about now.
I think the risk of popping the cork on releasing the full marketing campaign now runs the risk of it either loosing steam closer to November, or running the risk of having to generate new content that's potentially got big spoilers in it to fill the gap.

One of the things we can agree on about the 2016 movie is they over-saturated things with the marketing campaign, there was a lot of interesting behind-the-scenes stuff, but there was a lot of plot details revealed in the mini-interviews and scene previews that they didn't leave a huge amount of surprises for when people went to the cinema.

What I've liked about Afterlife's marketing campaign in comparison is we know so little, even now with a year's worth of delay. That's so refreshingly rare in the era of the internet. :)

I have confidence that the marketing machine will get under way at an appropriate-enough point in the near future. :)

But I will concede that Sony and it's partners should've been branding the Afterlife products with the film's title.
Alphagaia, robbritton liked this

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]