Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Coover5
Wiggyof9 wrote: February 6th, 2019, 2:13 pm
Honestly, what I want from GB3 is closure to the main characters story and a good new team approved by the old.
Do you want to see GB3 as a true passing of the torch where the Busters retire and hire a new team within the film or do you want to see it more of an "out of retirement" film where the Busters have been out of the grey suits for awhile but return? I'm torn between the two.
By Coover5
mrmichaelt wrote: February 6th, 2019, 3:32 pm
Davideverona wrote: February 6th, 2019, 7:17 amhttps://screenrant.com/j-k-simmons-fron ... interview/

Interesting bit from J. K. Simmons. Has he been casted in the next Ghostbusters?
Weird way to report that. Simmons. My first thought was the mayor.
If so it would be a different relation with the busters than they had in GB1 and GB2. Hollywood doesn't bring in an oscar winner for a small part like a GB Mayor. David Marguiles was great as the mayor but he didn't get much play in either film. Though with Retiman's relationship with Simmons it could be a small part as a favor to the director.
By Davideverona
They returns because there's nobody with their knowledge. They have the tools, they have the talent and with a proton pack comes great responsibility. Then, once the torch has been passed they take a back seat.
By mrmichaelt
Coover5 wrote: February 6th, 2019, 4:43 pm If so it would be a different relation with the busters than they had in GB1 and GB2. Hollywood doesn't bring in an oscar winner for a small part like a GB Mayor. David Marguiles was great as the mayor but he didn't get much play in either film. Though with Retiman's relationship with Simmons it could be a small part as a favor to the director.
He had a small role in Justice League as Commissioner Gordon.
By Coover5
Fair enough but when he did that it was announced as the first appearance of many appearances for Commissioner Gordon but it just doesn't seemed to have worked out. it's the same reason they got Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent in Batman.
By Wiggyof9
Coover5 wrote: February 6th, 2019, 4:36 pm Do you want to see GB3 as a true passing of the torch where the Busters retire and hire a new team within the film or do you want to see it more of an "out of retirement" film where the Busters have been out of the grey suits for awhile but return? I'm torn between the two.
I could go either way. I just want a a nice send off. I would prefer that they not have been in business since 89 (or 92 if they keep the game canon). But if they want to start with an already functioning business with the new team already in place and then the old team retires it could be ok, but then you cant have them back for cameos. Id rather see them try to do one last case in their own, realize they need help, and retire/sacrifice themselves in the end to save the day fir the last time.
Coover5 liked this
By timeware
Do you want to see GB3 as a true passing of the torch where the Busters retire and hire a new team within the film or do you want to see it more of an "out of retirement" film where the Busters have been out of the grey suits for awhile but return? I'm torn between the two.

We'll have to wait and see. People aren't sold on the star wars comparison. I honestly think people either related to the GB's or working under them, or just happen to find their equipment in the barn is the route they are going to go with.

The OG's will have a major part in this film. I don't want to see them be killed off unless it's a tasteful way. Egon reaches out for help beyond the grave. They do the portal jumping thing to join him in hell or limbo deciding to stay to help Egon keep peace in the after life from whatever the big bad is. The new team takes over.

I don't know if a CGI age progressed, or young Harold would be tasteful or not. If they got permission it would be a nice send off to see the OG's in their youth once again fully powered at the end of the film. It would be a more honorable acknowledgment of Egon then some bust in ATC. Although it was a nice tribute, I just think he deserves something more then that.

I think throwing the OG's in the afterlife without passing in the real world would give Sony an opportunity to do animated
films in the future. IDW has a lot of material they could work with.
By Dr.D
Speculation is fun, but I do think we need to take a step back for a second. Every thing Sony has done thus far points to a completely different type of film than this series has seen so far, and that is the best thing they could do.

The best comparison here is Sony's other checkered franchise, Spider-Man. Popular franchise which was followed by a mostly maligned reboot which led to another reboot. Just like Spider-Man, Sony is in a sense giving control back to the original creators. Reading through the leaked emails via the Sony hack, you see that Ivan and Dan weren't happy with the way Feig was running the show and his creative choices. Pure speculation on my part, but I think Ivan and Dan were seeing Feig's very laissez faire attitude on set and realized the movie was getting away from them. Feig's laid back improvisational style works well for grounded, real-life comedies. Not so much for Ghostbusters. Movie comes out and loses at the very least $70 million for Sony and doesn't even top its opening weekend box office. And on paper and I'm sure in the mind of execs, they did what they thought was a smart move. Ghostbusters ATC was filled with callbacks, references and cameos by the original actors. All the ingredients we'd have expected from a "passing the torch" movie but without the actual connection to the other two.

Long winded way of saying this: Sony has a herculean balancing act with this movie. It has to both be something completely different from what we've seen before (which is why I'd speculate a good portion of this movie or maybe the whole thing takes place outside of NYC) but has to also contain enough connective tissue to the originals to feel like a part of the same series.Will we get roles for the originals? I'd be willing to bet yeah, they will show up. But when we start talking about CGI Egon or de-aging the cast we get into the unrealistic fan service category. The Ghostbusters were never meant to be action heroes. They're schlubby weirdos, with the exception of course of Winston who is the everyman.

At the end of the day, Sony still wants to introduce Ghostbusters to people who don't know it and don't have the same attachments we have. A shift of tone and location would really benefit the series and act as a litmus test to see if this really has the kind of legs as a, and I hate this term, cinematic universe. Honestly, another comparison that comes to mind is Thor: Ragnarok. The first two Thor movies (well admittedly I haven't seen all of the Dark World) were tonally very similar. And audiences were mostly "meh" on them. So Marvel took a chance by hiring a phenomenal indie director and basically let him go to town. He crafted a mainstream movie that both poked fun at the character in a loving way and totally shifted the tone away from what had been done before.

That's what Ghostbusters needs right now. Not a soft reboot, not another "out of business but getting back into business" movie. Ghostbusters needs something totally different.
RichRyan1507, Sav C, Coover5 and 1 others liked this
By robbritton
Coover5 wrote: February 6th, 2019, 4:43 pm
mrmichaelt wrote: February 6th, 2019, 3:32 pm Weird way to report that. Simmons. My first thought was the mayor.
If so it would be a different relation with the busters than they had in GB1 and GB2. Hollywood doesn't bring in an oscar winner for a small part like a GB Mayor. David Marguiles was great as the mayor but he didn't get much play in either film. Though with Retiman's relationship with Simmons it could be a small part as a favor to the director.
They did bring in an Oscar nominee to play the last onscreen Ghostbusters mayor, so...
By Slimered
Dr.D wrote: February 7th, 2019, 11:15 amBut when we start talking about CGI Egon or de-aging the cast we get into the unrealistic fan service category.

I don't think a CGI Egon is fan service, but more a fitting tribute to a sadly deceased actor.
By Coover5
As a nod to Egon I'd love to see genuine photos of Harold Ramis in the film. Not photoshopped photos. Not screen caps from films. Real photos provided by friends. Too many films are guilty of using screen caps or behind the scenes photos as photos for characters. That includes our treasured Ghostbusters who appear crossing the streams on the cover of the New York Post during the montage. I'd love for the Egon to be honored with clippings from magazines demonstrating Egon's major successes and a few awards as set decoration.
By SpaceBallz
Personally, I think they will tie up the story with the original characters whilst introducing a new team to carry on the work. Ghostbusters is too big for Sony to just end.
deadderek, Kingpin, robbritton and 1 others liked this
By deadderek
SpaceBallz wrote: February 7th, 2019, 5:38 pm Personally, I think they will tie up the story with the original characters whilst introducing a new team to carry on the work. Ghostbusters is too big for Sony to just end.
I'd be willing to bet exactly that. That's why I said it's almost a sure thing it's a passing of the torch.
By Coover5
We talk about it setting up the future but it literally only takes one line to set up the future of the franchise. "There are arms growing out of the walls of Gracie Mansion" "Let division 2 take care of it" There. We've now established two teams in New York. Or the receptionist says "The San Francisco division wrecked another Ecto." And there we've established the wide reach of the Ghostbusters franchise. Either line could be it's own spin-off. Heck, just a magazine with the headline "WE'RE EXAPNDING" SAYS GHOSTBUSTERS. They aren't in business any more? Just need the line "We were worldwide" or "We were nationwide" or "At the company's height you guys were nationwide" They don't need a lot to set things up for film spin-offs, comics, books, cartoons, and live action shows so to make a film about something that could be done with a few words is really unlikely. Plus, it's rare to be able to pick up with characters 30 years later and it's not likely to be squandered trying to include setting up the new busters. Plus, seeing the development of the new Busters can be it's own film.
By Wiggyof9
But remeber, this is a franchise where introducing a new team in their own movie failed. Yes, there were many reasons why, but it stands to reason they wont do that again. This movies job is to save the franchise and make it so that future movies dont suffer the fate of ATC. You cant really accomplish that with all focus on the OGB and a throw away line about other divisions that we wont see until later movies.

We may be ok with that, but not a general audience.
By Wiggyof9
Slimered wrote: February 7th, 2019, 4:41 pm
Dr.D wrote: February 7th, 2019, 11:15 amBut when we start talking about CGI Egon or de-aging the cast we get into the unrealistic fan service category.

I don't think a CGI Egon is fan service, but more a fitting tribute to a sadly deceased actor.
It depends how its used. If they use it to expand the narrative via flash back of the last time the team were on a job it could work. If they just do it to do it the. Its fan service. For example, de-aging RDJ in ironman (or whatever one of the 20 marvels movies it was) was story driven and lookes pretty good. Princess Leia in Rogue One was just fan service.
By timeware
Princess Leia in rogue one was just creepy.
If they are planning on including Egon as some kind of spirit in the next film I think de-aging him for that part would be the way to go. Could even be something as brief as Egon trying to point the OG's to an invention he left in the fire house that would help them out. The new proton packs maybe.
By Coover5
Wiggyof9 wrote:But remeber, this is a franchise where introducing a new team in their own movie failed. Yes, there were many reasons why, but it stands to reason they wont do that again. This movies job is to save the franchise and make it so that future movies dont suffer the fate of ATC. You cant really accomplish that with all focus on the OGB and a throw away line about other divisions that we wont see until later movies.

We may be ok with that, but not a general audience.
Save the franchise? From what? all the merchandise and comic books they are selling??? Nothing needs saving. And they have introduced the Ghostbusters in GB1 which worked, RGB which worked and EGB which after being canceled stayed on various channels for 10 years. Why? Because it worked. And yes, audiences are okay with spin-offs that are only hinted at. That is literally the basis of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It's how it built up it's audience. And expanded universe material is very popular. It's what makes up the bulk of Star Wars, Star Trek, Alien, Terminator, Robocop, X-Files and Planet of the Apes to name a few.
By 80sguy
timeware wrote: February 7th, 2019, 9:40 pm Princess Leia in rogue one was just creepy.
If they are planning on including Egon as some kind of spirit in the next film I think de-aging him for that part would be the way to go. Could even be something as brief as Egon trying to point the OG's to an invention he left in the fire house that would help them out. The new proton packs maybe.
I really hope they don't kill off Egon, and just find a way to write around his absence. De-aging would look ok if done right. Edward Furlong isn't gonna be in the next Terminator, but apparently his likeness is gonna be used VIA flashback scenes as a kid, using CGI. I'd rather see flashbacks with this method if they're gonna do it with Egon. An in joke flashback could be him trying to drill a hole and in his head and Venkman stopping him.
Coover5 wrote: February 7th, 2019, 5:11 pm As a nod to Egon I'd love to see genuine photos of Harold Ramis in the film. Not photoshopped photos. Not screen caps from films. Real photos provided by friends. Too many films are guilty of using screen caps or behind the scenes photos as photos for characters. That includes our treasured Ghostbusters who appear crossing the streams on the cover of the New York Post during the montage.
When you're pressed for time to make props, you're gonna have to make due to with what is available. It honestly never bothered me that films did this. From Ghostbusters stand point though, it would make sense to be using behind the scenes or promo shots since they're mock Magazines & Newspapers. They would want the best looking shot.

I think I've really only seen a few films which use personal photos. The Foreigner with Jackie Chan looks like they used personal photos for the scenes showing his military file.
Coover5 liked this
By Coover5
QUESTION FOR EVERYONE

Loved hearing everyone's thoughts on my last question and I have another one I really want to hear people's opinions on. How do you want to see the character of Egon handled if the franchise continues as an animated series?
By timeware
I'm not opposed to them using Harold's likeness for GB20. If they do branch out into other animated movies I would like them to go with the RGB Egon having someone new or the original voice actor reprise the role.
By Wiggyof9
Coover5 wrote: February 7th, 2019, 11:02 pm QUESTION FOR EVERYONE

Loved hearing everyone's thoughts on my last question and I have another one I really want to hear people's opinions on. How do you want to see the character of Egon handled if the franchise continues as an animated series?
Truthfully, I don't want an animated series to is directly tied to the movies. As far as I am concerned, Egon in the movie universe is dead. I don't want to see him as a ghost, I don't want to see him recast, I don't want to see a CGI version like Grand Moff Tarkin in Rogue One. Egon has passed away, preferably due to some heroic sacrifice that he made that can be shown in flash back with a CGI model if need be, if not unused footage from a previous movie.

If a new animated series happens i would want it to be an alternate universe like RGB was in which case Egon can be alive, but I would expect all the characters to be voiced by voice actors and not the remaining cast. In fact, I would want them to bring back the 3 original RGB voice actors. Dave Coulier need not apply though.... But I would love to see Arsenio Hall, Frank Welker, and Maurice Lamarche reunited and maybe have Frank or Maurice play Peter. Frank does a pretty good job capturing the voice and attitude. They could easily so a new style of RGB, update the character models while still keeping them younger. They could set it in the 90's or present day but still have the characters the same age as they were in GB1.

Or... They could just start a new universe with the same characters and an all new voice cast. But I do think it would be a waste to not reunite the original RGB cast while we still have most of them. Either way, I want Egon's character in the movie to be tastefully dealt with as having passed, no CGI Egon ghost (I just don't think that would be tasteful), maybe a CGI flashback, but only if it is used for exposition reasons to show Egon making sacrifice and dying like a hero. That's the right way to give him a send off IMO.
seekandannoy liked this
Hasbro Ghostbusters

It could have been more accurate (barrel and[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]