Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By philmorgan81
Coover5 wrote:QUESTION FOR EVERYONE

Loved hearing everyone's thoughts on my last question and I have another one I really want to hear people's opinions on. How do you want to see the character of Egon handled if the franchise continues as an animated series?
Well if GB2020 is going to give us insight into what has happened to the original crew in the present day and act as a passing of the torch film. I am hoping that the Animated feature would feature the original crew in their prime again. With an animated feature that is completely possible. That of course would include Egon. Again IF Bill Murray is in some way involved in GB2020 I have no idea if he would want to be involved in the animated movie even if it is just for a voice. I would love for Dan and Ernie to voice their respective roles and I wouldn’t mind sound alikes if they can’t get Bill in the recording studio. Like many here I believe Maurice Lamarche would be an awesome choice to continue voicing Egon in future animated features especially if the movie does well enough to warant sequels. :);):)
By 80sguy
Wiggyof9 wrote: February 8th, 2019, 12:17 amTruthfully, I don't want an animated series to is directly tied to the movies. As far as I am concerned, Egon in the movie universe is dead.
Why does Egon have to die just because Harold Ramis died? Yes, it's a character he helped create and play but judging from what his daughter said about him, he's not against someone else playing his characters. And really, it's a little tiresome killing a character because the actor who played them died. Are we gonna kill off all the GBs when said actors eventually pass? I don't want to be reminded that Harold Ramis died by having Egon be dead too. I don't want his character to die just because Ramis died.
By Dr.D
Um...it's a little more complicated than that. It's not just that Harold Ramis was Egon. Ramis was the co-creator of Ghostbusters. His creative input helped craft Ghostbusters from Aykroyd's way far out futuristic idea into the movie we all know and love. He was an integral part of the creative process and deserves as much credit for Ghostbusters as Aykroyd. Egon and Ramis are nearly inseparable. Moving on without him is fine, but out of respect for all he did they should absolutely not try to write the character he embodied to be played by anyone else, let along a CGI nightmare.

Some things are bigger than movies. Harold Ramis' presence is sorely missed, and some sort of tribute to him in the movie seems fine. But trying to move on with the character but without him is just downright disrespectful.
seekandannoy liked this
By Davideverona
I agree. Ramis was Ghostbusters, they should remember him, honor him but NOT recast his creature. That would be like letting someone else play the Tramp after Chaplin's death, or play Stan and Ollie after Laurel and Hardy passed away.

Ghostbusters is not Batman or Superman.
Anyone can be a Ghostbuster, but nobody can be THE Ghostbusters.
By 80sguy
Dr.D wrote: February 8th, 2019, 2:29 amUm...it's a little more complicated than that.

No, it really isn't. Even factoring in that he created the character and had input in it, that doesn't mean someone else can't play the part just as well. It also doesn't mean that no one else can write his character as good as him. The comics and cartoons have well written versions of Egon, with little to no input from Ramis or Aykroyd.
Dr.D wrote: February 8th, 2019, 2:29 amMoving on without him is fine, but out of respect for all he did they should absolutely not try to write the character he embodied to be played by anyone else, let along a CGI nightmare.

So, The Real Ghostbusters is thrown out then because Ramis didn't play the character right? It doesn't matter if the series was done during his time, if you're saying it's disrespectful for anyone other than Ramis to play Egon, than that logic would apply to the cartoon.
Dr.D wrote: February 8th, 2019, 2:29 am But trying to move on with the character but without him is just downright disrespectful.

How exactly is it disrespectful? Is it disrespectful that IDW comics still included Egon despite Ramis being gone? Seriously, how is it disrespectful? Harold Ramis created a great character, but it would be more disrespectful to discard Egon completely just because of circumstances. I would definitely not be against seeing an animated version of Egon in a new cartoon or animated film.
Davideverona wrote: February 8th, 2019, 2:38 amAnyone can be a Ghostbuster, but nobody can be THE Ghostbusters.

The Ghosbusters are characters, not real people. CHARACTERS. The traits of said characters is part of the attraction. I don't like Venkman soley because of Bill Murray, I like his attitude and sarcastic tone. While you can argue that is due to Bill Murray's style, those same traits are carried in cartoons and comics, which are still enjoyed despite the absence of Murray. I still see Lorenzo Music as Venkman as much as Bill Murray.
By back
One thing everyones missing here is that Ghostbusters is a Business, always has been. No different than garbage men, janitorial services or other dirty jobs.
Hows that supposed to play out in Small Town America?? I understand that Ghostbusters is a Story of heroism, Horror, Good vs Evil and cool/dangerous particle beams... But at the end of it, when the smoke clears... they still bill the customer.
Ive lived in, driven through, eaten in Small Town America... not alot of money to be had. :/
Im still trying to keep an open mind, but Im still very objective. Id want this New story to make sense.
ATC wasnt a business, it wasnt an equipped research facility... I really dont know what it was... Personally, I DONT want another ATC Or a direct EGB knockoff, do any of you??
Kingpin liked this
By mrmichaelt
back wrote: February 8th, 2019, 5:04 am One thing everyones missing here is that Ghostbusters is a Business, always has been. No different than garbage men, janitorial services or other dirty jobs.
Hows that supposed to play out in Small Town America?? I understand that Ghostbusters is a Story of heroism, Horror, Good vs Evil and cool/dangerous particle beams... But at the end of it, when the smoke clears... they still bill the customer.
Ive lived in, driven through, eaten in Small Town America... not alot of money to be had. :/
Im still trying to keep an open mind, but Im still very objective. Id want this New story to make sense.
ATC wasnt a business, it wasnt an equipped research facility... I really dont know what it was... Personally, I DONT want another ATC Or a direct EGB knockoff, do any of you??
Someone who is rich who lives in the city inherits property in a small town, maybe upstate, but discovers it's haunted. Just like you send exterminators to fumigate a house before you move in, the Ghostbusters are sent to "fumigate" too. It's become a ubiquity in New York to hire them to clean houses. A team is dispatched to investigate but they find nothing. Annoyed and tired they drove for nothing and have to stay overnight in a backwater town before driving back the next morning. At the same time, a family moves from the city to the same town. One of the children is befriended by a local and they start to experience some odd things. They hear about some Ghostbusters looking into things and try to convince them in vain. Someone on the team starts believing them and digs into the local archives, realizes the property or former owner is connected to an old case involving the original founding team. He checks the company files but discovers it's redacted so they have to seek out and bring in the originals like Ray and Winston who are retired or semi-retired doing things at main headquarters like R&D and equipment upkeep. Cue the flashbacks and revelations. Big paranormal surge. Roll on from there to the final act... eh, good thing I'm not writing this script.
robbritton liked this
By Wiggyof9
80sguy wrote: February 8th, 2019, 2:13 am
Wiggyof9 wrote: February 8th, 2019, 12:17 amTruthfully, I don't want an animated series to is directly tied to the movies. As far as I am concerned, Egon in the movie universe is dead.
Why does Egon have to die just because Harold Ramis died? Yes, it's a character he helped create and play but judging from what his daughter said about him, he's not against someone else playing his characters. And really, it's a little tiresome killing a character because the actor who played them died. Are we gonna kill off all the GBs when said actors eventually pass? I don't want to be reminded that Harold Ramis died by having Egon be dead too. I don't want his character to die just because Ramis died.
The version of Egon from the movies is gone. Recasting him seems wrong to me. That doesnt mean all versions of Egon are off limits, but this version is. I hate when movies change actors between sequels. Its jarring. These are characters that have been played by the same cast in 2 movies and a video game. You cant just replace them after 35 years of them being those characters.

If they do an animated movie that is in universe with the movies it will likely take place in the past. I would expect them to cast voice actors for that like RGB and thats fine. Egon can appear there without Ramis because its a different genre, but movie Egon is Ramis.
deadderek, back liked this
By timeware
mrmichaelt wrote: February 8th, 2019, 6:28 am
back wrote: February 8th, 2019, 5:04 am One thing everyones missing here is that Ghostbusters is a Business, always has been. No different than garbage men, janitorial services or other dirty jobs.
Someone who is rich who lives in the city inherits property in a small town, maybe upstate, but discovers it's haunted. Just like you send exterminators to fumigate a house before you move in, the Ghostbusters are sent to "fumigate" too. It's become a ubiquity in New York to hire them to clean houses. A team is dispatched to investigate but they find nothing. Annoyed and tired they drove for nothing and have to stay overnight in a backwater town before driving back the next morning. At the same time, a family moves from the city to the same town. One of the children is befriended by a local and they start to experience some odd things. They hear about some Ghostbusters looking into things and try to convince them in vain. Someone on the team starts believing them and digs into the local archives, realizes the property or former owner is connected to an old case involving the original founding team. He checks the company files but discovers it's redacted so they have to seek out and bring in the originals like Ray and Winston who are retired or semi-retired doing things at main headquarters like R&D and equipment upkeep. Cue the flashbacks and revelations. Big paranormal surge. Roll on from there to the final act... eh, good thing I'm not writing this script.
whatever we all come up with here is still much, much, better then the script Katie Dipplold half assed. It may sound like bad fan fiction but it's better bad fan fiction.
mrmichaelt liked this
By deadderek
Ernie has spoken to Jason:

https://www.slashfilm.com/ernie-hudson- ... stbusters/

Quotes from article:

“I reached out to Jason,” Hudson said. “I’ve talked to Jason. I’ve also had a conversation with Ivan [Reitman] just to congratulate him. They confirmed that the movie is definitely being made, because you know there’s always been rumors with Ghostbusters the last 30 years. What that’ll look like, they did not share.”

“Nobody’s offered me a job, but the reason I wanted to reach out to Jason, I remember him as a little kid on the set of Ghostbusters,” Hudson said. “The fact that he’s stepping into that, I think the fans have been wanting it so no matter what happens, I know it’s going to be a great movie. I really respect him as a filmmaker. Obviously, I’d love to be a part of it but that hasn’t so far presented itself. I know that the movie will be good.”
Davideverona liked this
By RichRyan1507
Davideverona wrote: February 8th, 2019, 2:15 pm Maybe they had what they call "preliminary talks". Are you available? When? How much? Good, we'll talk to Sony and the we'll get back to you with a contract to sign.
I'd be shocked if that weren't the case.
By timeware
For them not to have Dan in this would be a complete slap in the face. To everyone involved. I would hope that the OG's don't slow things down by demanding too much cash.
By Coover5
I doubt Aykroyd, Hudson or Murray would do that. Not sure about the other folks. Aykroyd and Hudson do a lot of public appearances. Those don't bring tons of cash (to them). You have to love the work. And Murray does a lot of independent stuff so he's not picking films for the paychecks. Hudson has 236 IMDb listings alone. He seems up for anything.
By Slimered
Wiggyof9 wrote: February 7th, 2019, 9:25 pm
Slimered wrote: February 7th, 2019, 4:41 pm

I don't think a CGI Egon is fan service, but more a fitting tribute to a sadly deceased actor.
It depends how its used. If they use it to expand the narrative via flash back of the last time the team were on a job it could work. If they just do it to do it the. Its fan service. For example, de-aging RDJ in ironman (or whatever one of the 20 marvels movies it was) was story driven and lookes pretty good. Princess Leia in Rogue One was just fan service.
I like the idea of ghost Egon communicating with the still-surviving original Ghostbusters. The original team on one last hurah.
By Slimered
Davideverona wrote: February 8th, 2019, 2:38 am That would be like letting someone else play the Tramp after Chaplin's death, or play Stan and Ollie after Laurel and Hardy passed away.
They've already done that. John C Reilly and Steve Coogan are currently playing them.
By Coover5
But that would be like trying to get someone like Will Forte to conjure the comedy genius of Doug Kenney. Now that would be a futile and stupid gesture!
By Wiggyof9
Slimered wrote: February 8th, 2019, 4:24 pm
Davideverona wrote: February 8th, 2019, 2:38 am That would be like letting someone else play the Tramp after Chaplin's death, or play Stan and Ollie after Laurel and Hardy passed away.
They've already done that. John C Reilly and Steve Coogan are currently playing them.
No, that's a bio pic. That's different. They are playing the actual actors as they were in real life when they were making movies. That's different than recasting a character in a movie that was played by a dead actor.

What you are talking about would be equivalent to a Harold Ramis bio pic where someone played Ramis as he was in real life during the filming og Ghostbusters and there would be recreations of his scenes in the bio pic. Not the same thing we are talking about.
By Davideverona
Wiggyof9 wrote: February 8th, 2019, 6:12 pm
Slimered wrote: February 8th, 2019, 4:24 pm

No, that's a bio pic. That's different. They are playing the actual actors as they were in real life when they were making movies. That's different than recasting a character in a movie that was played by a dead actor.

What you are talking about would be equivalent to a Harold Ramis bio pic where someone played Ramis as he was in real life during the filming og Ghostbusters and there would be recreations of his scenes in the bio pic. Not the same thing we are talking about.
Exactly. There were people who didn't seems to get it at first. In 1988 there was THE ALL NEW ADVENTURES OF LAUREL AND HARDY wich was awful. Check the trailer.
By Wiggyof9
Davideverona wrote: February 8th, 2019, 7:50 pm Exactly. There were people who didn't seems to get it at first. In 1988 there was THE ALL NEW ADVENTURES OF LAUREL AND HARDY wich was awful. Check the trailer.

Oh lord... this was terrible...

When it comes to stuff like this, you can't remake the originals. To me, live action portrayals of characters should be left to the original actor that created that character. I don't think you can just recast a character with a new actor and try to do it justice. Exceptions being characters that originated in literature or comics or such. Another exception would be plays, because there is an expectation in that genre that it will have a rotating cast since it is a live performance.

It's like what they did with Han Solo. They tried recasting a young Han Solo and is just didn't work. People don't want to see another actor play Han Solo, they want to see Harrison Ford play Han Solo. That's the only Han Solo we have had for like 50 years. Of course, there was an exception with Obi-Wan, but that was because the audience accepted that the original actor was long dead and the pre-quels called for a much younger version of the character. With Egon, we already saw him as the younger version in the first movie. So all you would get is the same issue fans had with Han Solo.

It all comes down to what your personal relationship is the the character they are trying to recast. But either way, I seriously doubt Egon will be recast in this or any future movie, though I can see them bringing all of the characters back for an animated series.
By philmorgan81
One very important thing to consider. To Dan Aykroyd, Ivan Reitman, and probably Jason Reitman as well (I know Jason was a kid when the original films came out, but he and his father have history), Harold Ramis was more than just a fellow cast member. He was family to them. I am sure no one wants his absence in the movie handled better than they do. :):):)
Davideverona, deadderek, back and 1 others liked this
By back
Interesting turn here...
I think we shouldnt be asking "Who will be in the flick?" ...no. Lets ask "Who Wont appear in the new GB flick??"
thoughts?
deadderek liked this
By timeware
One possibility we know for certain is Kevin Smith. Will this be the conflict of two directors, or would he be happy with just a cameo or some kind of other role in the movie? Unless he cameo's as Silent Bob I could really see him replacing Bill's position on the team.

Rick, Bill are the only two people I see not maybe doing this. Weaver just did ATC so she may or may not reprise her role.Potts probably wouldn't turn down an offer. Vanilla Ice may make a come back career with the new album, but probably not.
By Davideverona
back wrote: February 9th, 2019, 4:21 am Interesting turn here...
I think we shouldnt be asking "Who will be in the flick?" ...no. Lets ask "Who Wont appear in the new GB flick??"
thoughts?
James Belushi
Robert Downey Junior
Macaulay Culkin
Silvio Berlusconi
By Wiggyof9
timeware wrote: February 9th, 2019, 7:37 am I think I might just start a #Kevin Smith for Ghostbusters 2020 just for Deadderek. Lol.
Honestly, I think Kevin Smith is he perfect type of person to b a Ghostbuster. I think he might be just a little too old to start in the franchise now though.
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]