Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Wiggyof9
Just because ghosts exist in the GB universe doesnt mean every dead person becomes a ghost. And every ghost isnt necessarily a dead person. Egon can be dead without being a ghost.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By Coover5
There's absolutely nothing to say Egon or any other dead person couldn't come back. That's the point. Death is optional when deciding what happens in a Ghostbusters film. Must Egon come back? No but the fact that it's even on the table demonstrates the frivolity of death being permanent in the franchise.
Last edited by Coover5 on February 11th, 2019, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By Slimered
Wiggyof9 wrote: February 11th, 2019, 2:09 pm Just because ghosts exist in the GB universe doesnt mean every dead person becomes a ghost. And every ghost isnt necessarily a dead person. Egon can be dead without being a ghost.
This is a good point. Harry Potter also has ghosts, but not everybody comes back as one.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By Wiggyof9
Coover5 wrote: February 11th, 2019, 2:23 pm There's absolutely nothing to say Egon or any other dead person couldn't come back. That's the point. Death is optional when deciding what happens in a Ghostbusters film. Must Egon come back? No but the fact that it's even on the table demonstrates the frivolity of death being permanent in the franchise.
Not really. If he is dead and doesn't come back in a spirit form, then he is really dead. So, it's a real consequence and permanent. It could even be a plot point where one of the characters thinks it's unfair that spirits roam the Earth, but their friend/father/uncle/whatever Egon is gone for good.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By Coover5
But there is no "really dead". In Ghostbusters there is an afterlife and in that afterlife people can come back. One of the big issues in GB1 was the fact that the dead were coming back. You go somewhere when you are dead in the GB world. It's only a matter of figuring out where. There isn't a question of if Egon could come back but whether he would choose to do so or not. But I agree with how that can be a subplot. Why would Egon choose to not come back?
RichRyan1507 liked this
By Coover5
Wiggyof9 wrote: February 11th, 2019, 4:27 pm It could even be a plot point where one of the characters thinks it's unfair that spirits roam the Earth, but their friend/father/uncle/whatever Egon is gone for good.
Actually, I'd like to see that as its own comic miniseries. I really want a story exploring the "life" of a ghost. it would be especially exciting to see it used to address Egon's absence in GB20 like you mentioned. A comic prequel would be a great way to fill in those missing 30 years.
By timeware
I think it's interesting that in RGB the GB's cross over, and are in between the afterlife, limbo so much that some kind of entity wouldn't take a liking to keeping one of them under their thumb. They touch on that in IDW a bit also so I don't see Reitman not looking at a similar plotline.

Out of the God's, Deity's,demon's the GB's have assisted it wouldn't be hard to imagine Egon being fed grapes by the Valkyries or poked with a pitchfork. Reitman could have a plotline with Egon telling the GB's he wants help or to be left alone completely.
By Coover5
And let's not forget the description for inside the containment unit from the script
We zoom in on the monitor and get our first real look inside the storage facility. It is a bleak repository for souls of many species. Strange lights, mists and spectral shapes waft about aimlessly. Human-like figures lean against the walls in despairing convict poses. Others flit and hang on the ceiling. It is a sad and frightening limbo and a most unholy makeshift asylum.
The busters gave such a command of the ethereal plane that they have been able to create their own! The ghosts aren't just in there as vapors. They are fully realized beings "living" in there. I really want that to be addressed.
By Wiggyof9
Coover5 wrote: February 11th, 2019, 4:32 pm But there is no "really dead". In Ghostbusters there is an afterlife and in that afterlife people can come back. One of the big issues in GB1 was the fact that the dead were coming back. You go somewhere when you are dead in the GB world. It's only a matter of figuring out where. There isn't a question of if Egon could come back but whether he would choose to do so or not. But I agree with how that can be a subplot. Why would Egon choose to not come back?
See, I always saw it as some people come back. Why some and not others I have no idea, but obviously not every dead person becomes a ghost. I figure the humanoid ones have unfinished businesses (Casper rules) and the ghoulish ones are manifestations of PKE, as opposed to former living beings.

So to me, becoming a ghost depends on the circumstance of your death. If you were murdered or died unexpectedly you have more of a chance becoming a ghost. If you pass away naturally or are aware of and prepared for your death then you are far less likely to be a ghost. (Except Vigo who was aware of his death, but actively made preparations to be ghostly)

Nothing in canon proves or disproves this. However, I dont think Egon would actively become a ghost. Knowing what ghosts go through, I would think he would try everything he can not to.
By Davideverona
Idea for a Murray cameo.

It's the big battle. Both teams are struggling to keep the villain contained with 8 proton streams. All of a sudden a trap is being thrown in and sucks the ghost ending the battle. The camera show Venkman in civilian clothes with a grin on his face (after he repeatedly turned down to join the old team through the entire movie).

VENKMAN: hi guys. Well, seems like we saved the world again!

Montage of people cheering them, end credits.
By philmorgan81
Davideverona wrote:Idea for a Murray cameo.

It's the big battle. Both teams are struggling to keep the villain contained with 8 proton streams. All of a sudden a trap is being thrown in and sucks the ghost ending the battle. The camera show Venkman in civilian clothes with a grin on his face (after he repeatedly turned down to join the old team through the entire movie).

Oh that pretty much sums up a very likely scenario. LOL! It would only take one day of filming and would be ideal for him. Unless Jason has the magic script that persuades Murray to take a larger part.
If he doesn't have a larger part I am anticipating that he will at least be the Duex Machina that saves the day at the end. :):):)
By Davideverona
I recall his role in Broken Flowers. He didn't much more than sitting on a couch staring in front of him or showing at some doors with a bunch of flowers.
By Kingpin
robbritton wrote: February 11th, 2019, 11:48 amI know Bill is an old grouch who wants to be killed off, but they deserve better than a ‘gritty send off’. Those are so played out.
Agreed, the last thing I'd want to see is Ghostbusters going the same route as Independence Day: Resurgence.
robbritton, deadderek liked this
By Wiggyof9
I think we got this all wrong. This isnt a movie announcement at all, its a presidential candidacy announcement. Winston is running for president with Ray as his VP and Peter as the campaign manager. Their slogan is "Who ya gonna call... to make America great again?"
By BatDan
Kingpin wrote: February 12th, 2019, 1:30 am
robbritton wrote: February 11th, 2019, 11:48 amI know Bill is an old grouch who wants to be killed off, but they deserve better than a ‘gritty send off’. Those are so played out.
Agreed, the last thing I'd want to see is Ghostbusters going the same route as Independence Day: Resurgence.
Or "Logan", even though that's a brilliant film. Actually i wouldn't mind them going a "Logan" route somewhat, all they'd have to do with this movie is make it "Gran Torino" or "Ghost Busterino" ( jaded old guy, comes back with one last fight in him to inspire youngster.)
RichRyan1507 liked this
By mrmichaelt
We have ATC as a more current precedent. So as far back as I can remember, the first the cast to be mentioned was Melissa McCarthy circa December 12, 2014. Then on January 27, 2015, it was announced, she, Wiig, McKinnon, and Jones were in negotiations to sign on. Then on June 10, Hemsworth was reported and confirmed.

Now that January 27 date - could be a coincidence now - or you can argue the video was set to public on purpose by the agent or not but Sarah Abbott's audition video appeared on Vimeo on drum roll January 26, 2019. Feels like they could announce the primary cast any day now between now and Fan Fest. But if you take this filming date May 13 as true, we could narrow it down to between now and before May 13. We got an IDW announcement for a June series coming this Thursday, and given how Sony released the ATC teaser around February 13, 2016, Sony might also be planning a PR event for the cast, too, for Thursday. Kinda a confluence of coincidences since Jason was in GB2 and we got that Valentine's Day line from Peter in it.

Short answer, between now and next 3 months, imo. Only logical...
By Slimered
Davideverona wrote: February 11th, 2019, 11:33 pm Idea for a Murray cameo.

Sounds like the most Bill Murray cameo ever. I like it.
Davideverona liked this
By Coover5
Davideverona wrote: February 11th, 2019, 11:33 pm Idea for a Murray cameo.

Not sure if you are serious but... 8 streams can't contain the main villain but a trap can? Nah. A trappable main villain at all? Double nah. The ending being so simple? Triple nah I love Star Wars but i still hate Solo swooping in to save the day in New Hope.

Obviously GB20 needs to end with a new recruit's outstretched arm offering a pke meter to Venkman in a bathrobe.
By back
Granted, Ghostbusters is Supposed to be a comedy, but UP the Scares in it! Ghosts are scary, scaring the audience (not just cheap Jump-Scares) would really get interest going... As in - it just isnt about Ghostbusting & Dancing toasters anymore.... ?
Hmmm...
RichRyan1507 liked this
By Wiggyof9
The first one was pretty scary for a comedy. The chair scene, the zombie, the shear comedic terror of a giant marshmallow man wreckingbthe city and then catching on fire and becoming a sugary molten monster. Gb2 was less scary, but did have the court room scene which was a little intense.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By RichRyan1507
Wiggyof9 wrote: February 12th, 2019, 6:56 pm The first one was pretty scary for a comedy. The chair scene, the zombie, the shear comedic terror of a giant marshmallow man wreckingbthe city and then catching on fire and becoming a sugary molten monster. Gb2 was less scary, but did have the court room scene which was a little intense.

I think that you'll see this new one be darker than either of the first two. That's the feeling I'm getting so far. Dan was hinting at it being updated for 'today's audience' and I think that's part of what he meant.
By Coover5
QUESTION FOR EVERYONE

Since the tone of GB20 is being discussed I'd like to know: How old were you when you first saw Ghostbusters and did you find the film scary?

Earliest I remember Ghostbusters was about 3 and I never recall the film being scary to me.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By Wiggyof9
I hope it doesnt go too scary. A darker tone would be good, but I dont want ghosts that are too grotesque visually. I think the look of things like the theater ghost and the subway ghost are a good level of scary.

What i dont want is Slimer just hanging about in fake looking CGI looking like a cartoon. If he is in the movie I hope they go back to a GB1 look and make that a little more grotesque, kind of like the videogame. And I don't want Slimer being comic relief or called Slimer.
RichRyan1507 liked this
Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]