Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By mrmichaelt
That's a really amazing story about the teaser date.
Alphagaia wrote: January 18th, 2019, 9:27 am Perhaps one (or two) are related to the Ghostbusters. I remember one script having the daughter of Egon in it, in search of her lost father after an experiment gone wrong and I really liked that idea.

The others can be friends of her or something.
I recall the Alive Again script had Ray's son.

Again, I think these teens are just going to be supporting cast but I can see comparisons to Stranger Things or the Junior Ghostbusters showing up. Didn't expect people to go to Extreme Ghostbusters. Interesting.
By Kingpin
Alphagaia wrote: January 18th, 2019, 2:23 pmYeah that's about it, but the text was practical as well.
An element of the text was practical. You'll notice that the zeros, and 'R' are missing the negative space. These may have been installed later, but given their appearance in the final teaser, I believe that the smoke (and possibly a bit of glow) layer was added in as the base, and a layer of digital type was laid on top, filling in the absent sections.
Alphagaia wrote: January 18th, 2019, 2:23 pmOnly thing I'm a little negative/nitpicky on is that I kinda feel the process was a bit pointless to do that way as digital would be just as good for a text or two. Seems a waste of time, but eh what do I know. It is good for marketing.
I think it could be considered a show of Jason's commitment, to using the best of both worlds in regards to a mix of digital and practical effects. Though time will tell if that ends up being the case.
By SpaceBallz
Oh lawd, some dude on twitter is posting potential plot spoilers and the media is running with it. A lot of people are angry that "kids" (like 10 year olds) will be running around with proton packs.
By SpaceBallz
Alphagaia wrote: January 18th, 2019, 2:23 pm
Furthermore, ATC also did a lot of practical effects overlaid with (stylised )cgi, which people seemed to dislike (I loved it), but I'm curious how they will update the ghosts (and hope again they go with the more scary GB1 style ghosts.
I was looking forward to seeing a 21st century practical Slimer in ATC, but it just didn't move or look right. It's like they over did the CGI on top of the practical to the point that it just looked animated.
By ghostJAR
Reading all of these speculations got me thinking. What if the Ghostbusters are still a thing.

GBs became a franchise. Winston and Janine (maybe even Louis) are running things at the NY branch. Peter retired and Ray... Will Ray became a recluse after the incident that costed Egon’s life.

Now Ray lives in he’s childhood farm home in a small town. Over the years he tries contacting Egon from the other side. In doing so he stumbles upon paranormal activities that are troubling the small town. Still feeling shame for what happens in the past. He takes it upon himself to do the busting. Ray ends up failing (Inter the new characters.) They end up helping Ray with the busting and his redemption arc and in the process becoming the “new” Ghostbusters.

They can take a few cues from EGB but at a smaller scale. Not so end of the world like how most Blockbuster movies play out now a days. Making it character driven, spooky, funny, and heart warming. They can even play with meta humor a bit. Making the cartoons, toys, and merchandise canon in the movie. Peter always wanted to make the GBs into a Multi-million dollar franchise

But that’s just my headcanon. I’ve put way to much thought into this. Haha
By SSJmole
SpaceBallz wrote: January 18th, 2019, 4:17 pm Oh lawd, some dude on twitter is posting potential plot spoilers and the media is running with it. A lot of people are angry that "kids" (like 10 year olds) will be running around with proton packs.
I would totally watch this

Unrelated slightly but that's what I thought when you said kids in proton packs lol

I figured if kids are in they'll be used like kids Jurassic world , essentially audience surrogates. I.e people to get stuff explained to them for new fans , people to help move plot along as need saving and people to be scared by ghosts. But could be wrong there lol
By One time
I hope the movie is fanservice enough to feature Welsh (The Rookie) in it in some context, somewhere.

The video game is revered by enough people to warrant its canon status in my opinion.

Although they'd have to age him up slightly using CGI, he would be about 55 years old in 2020.

I'd guess the actor Ryan French would be about 40 then?
NotSabbat liked this
By Slimered
ghostJAR wrote: January 18th, 2019, 4:21 pm Reading all of these speculations got me thinking. What if the Ghostbusters are still a thing.

GBs became a franchise. Winston and Janine (maybe even Louis) are running things at the NY branch. Peter retired and Ray... Will Ray became a recluse after the incident that costed Egon’s life.

Now Ray lives in he’s childhood farm home in a small town. Over the years he tries contacting Egon from the other side. In doing so he stumbles upon paranormal activities that are troubling the small town. Still feeling shame for what happens in the past. He takes it upon himself to do the busting. Ray ends up failing (Inter the new characters.) They end up helping Ray with the busting and his redemption arc and in the process becoming the “new” Ghostbusters.

They can take a few cues from EGB but at a smaller scale. Not so end of the world like how most Blockbuster movies play out now a days. Making it character driven, spooky, funny, and heart warming. They can even play with meta humor a bit. Making the cartoons, toys, and merchandise canon in the movie. Peter always wanted to make the GBs into a Multi-million dollar franchise

Personally I'd want Winston and Peter to have as big a role as Ray. This sounds like Ray would be the only Original Ghostbuster we'd see for the majority of the runtime.
By ghostJAR
Slimered wrote: January 18th, 2019, 4:39 pm
ghostJAR wrote: January 18th, 2019, 4:21 pm Reading all of these speculations got me thinking. What if the Ghostbusters are still a thing.

Personally I'd want Winston and Peter to have as big a role as Ray. This sounds like Ray would be the only Original Ghostbuster we'd see for the majority of the runtime.
I want them all to show up too but you know how Mr. Murray can be.
By SSJmole
ghostJAR wrote: January 18th, 2019, 4:42 pm
Slimered wrote: January 18th, 2019, 4:39 pm

I want them all to show up too but you know how Mr. Murray can be.
If he can show up for Garfield 2 he can show up for this lol
savintheday, deadderek liked this
By philmorgan81

Oh believe me you are not the only one who has been thinking about it too much or overthought it. I am guilty and this is the kind of discussion I have been craving and it is so much more satisfying talking about it now that a traditional sequel IS a reality.

I was thinking the same thing about the Ghostbusters still being a lucrative franchise. I was going to pose the question are the Ghostbusters out of business again like in GB2, or is the franchise still very much a successful business.

One scenario I can see happening and in a way there are parallels to actual reality is that the Ghostbusters franchise had shared ownership among the 3 founders. Ray, Egon and Peter respectfully and after their adventure in GB2 and as far as I'm concerned adventures in the Video Game and comic books. They continued to grow and thrive. I really don't want Egon to have been killed in some kind of Supernatural Accident, but rather much like in the real life of Harold Ramis passed away of natural causes. That left just Venkman and Stanz as the sole share holders, and maybe Peter decided to sell his share for a huge some of money. Ray didn't like what direction the company was going so decided to step away as CEO, but still owns half the company. :)

I was also going to pose the question if this was going to be a small bust of the week scenario like we have seen in the cartoon and comics or is there a BIG Looming Supernatural threat on the herizon that is going to end all life as we know it? I personally prefer the ladder. I just always feel that the films should raise the stakes as they progress. I know Jason Reitman is not used to doing Summer Blockbusters, but I think he is talanted enough a film maker to get the point across without spending too much money. He is used to working with smaller budgets so we can see what he can do with what the studio is willing to put out for this one. ;)

Again I know I have said this before, but I have a really good feeling that all 3 of the surviving original GBs have already signed on and I think that THEY will be the ones carrying a majority of the film. I don't know if it will be Dan and Ernie carrying most of the film with Bill popping in at the end, or if they have finally got a story so good that Bill will finally be willing to stick around in its entirety. One way or another I think we will see those guys suit up ONE more time. The teenagers in the film will probably be supporting characters like Mrmichealt suggested. :)

Sorry for the novel guys, I just always like keeping the floor open for discussion. :):):)
Last edited by philmorgan81 on January 18th, 2019, 9:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ghostJAR, *NormalGamer* liked this
By mrmichaelt
Yes, I think we've all zeroed in it being Ray trying to take the equipment out of disrepair or maybe modding. But another possibility, what if someone acquired everything in that barn either legal means like an estate auction or illegally and is themself trying to fix the equipment for an impending cross rip?

I like the small town premise, too. They've done it on RGB, EGB, and even there was that unused concept from The Video Game. The idea of a supernatural threat in a small town is one of the things that drew me to Supernatural initially.
philmorgan81 liked this
By deadderek
Davideverona wrote: January 18th, 2019, 3:00 pm I think the problem with the ATC FX was that they were too colourful, too bright. Reminded me of Schumacher's Batman.
Now that's one hell of an accurate comparison.

One thing that upsets me with the new Ghostbusters movie is how much clickbait and garbage is going to be spread around by gullible fans and even franchises themselves.

It seems no one reads past the headline and just shares ANYthing they read without looking in to it.

It's so frustrating. Especially when it's from other GB groups. Dubious and unreliable sources (Daily Mail) are already being shared!

Or...and this is a headscratcher for me...some groups are claiming "exclusive!!!" when sharing another article. Wtf???

No doubt we can look forward to many legitimate articles, leaks, and etc but I wish more people/groups would at least vet some of the information they read.

:(
By NotSabbat
ghostJAR wrote: January 19th, 2019, 12:04 am The more I hear and read up on Jason Reitman.... Guys... I think this can work.

P.S. Need to watch more of he's movies.
My feelings exactly.
I think the feel of most of his movies would work REALLY well with Ghostbusters.
deadderek liked this
By deadderek
Alphagaia wrote: January 19th, 2019, 12:09 am I have seen Tully and Juno. That last one is one of my wife's favorite films. I liked both of these oddball movies. Are there more that are a must watch?

To IMDB!
Thank You For Smoking is excellent if you haven't seen that one yet.
Alphagaia, NotSabbat liked this
By SSJmole
mrmichaelt wrote: January 18th, 2019, 7:10 pm Yes, I think we've all zeroed in it being Ray trying to take the equipment out of disrepair or maybe modding. But another possibility, what if someone acquired everything in that barn either legal means like an estate auction or illegally and is themself trying to fix the equipment for an impending cross rip?

I like the small town premise, too. They've done it on RGB, EGB, and even there was that unused concept from The Video Game. The idea of a supernatural threat in a small town is one of the things that drew me to Supernatural initially.
Personally I would probably enjoy that however I feel in 1 2 and ATC New York was treated like a character that was as important as the busters themselves. We saw their reactions , they started getting behind the busters when we needed cheering them near ends ect.... I feel remove New York city and you loose a huge element that makes Ghostbusters , Ghostbusters.

But as I said I might enjoy that and would at least give it a try.
Kingpin, Sav C liked this
By Alphagaia
I actually think it's a great idea to change the location. While I doubt they keep things like the firehouse completely out of the movie, NY has survived two major ghost attacks, and choosing a different location on top of the time gap, make's it easier to swallow if people don't believe in ghosts, if they go that route again, though I would like a different route in storytelling instead of the ghost don't exist thing.
By fixer79
One time wrote: January 18th, 2019, 4:35 pm I hope the movie is fanservice enough to feature Welsh (The Rookie) in it in some context, somewhere.
That would be really cool! I guess if anything, he'll just be briefly mentionned though, sadly.
In any case- I hope they'll at least reference what happened in The Video Game... I hope they don't ignore it since it truly is canon...

Anyway- if that 'Solo' movie can tip the hat to 'Masters of Teräs Käsi', GBIII can sure do the same for The video Game. :)
One time liked this
By back
In my hiatus Ive aged wisely to think before I speak, in this case Reply...
Ive been listening to what Everyone here is saying. What we want, dont want, etc... What we Didnt want in 2016 sadly didnt matter - But Sony did it anyways. :/
First, I agree with everyone here so far, I Dont want to see a bunch of teenagers lugging around 100 pounds of proton pack equipment. Secondly, No complete female cast (if any at all, learn from past mistakes Sony)! By no means is that a sexist comment, I shall explain shortly. And the Beginning of the movie having a Supernatural feel (TV series) to it for half an hour (out of 90 minutes runtime?) could pose alot of laughs, nostalgia and scares right out of the box! Having a great opener to a GB flick (or any flick really) is Critical to keeping the uninformed audiences attention!
Now comes the part I hate...
Think of it Objectively, what really Worked before within the Ghostbusters Universe from a Financial/Profit standpoint?

-Ghostbusters 1984 knocked it out of the park
-The following cartoon did the same, for multiple reasons
-Ghostbusters 2, 1989 Did OK, but - well, from Merely a Profitable standpoint we'll Guess'timate' that it broke even'ish
-EGB ...Fail. Im not going into detail because it was a Love-Hate GB franchise of mine.
-Comics... Fail & Win. Its harder to tell with a less informed audience. But once again I must be objective.
-2009 Video Game... Win. It pushed our Nostalgia buttons & shared a great story in the process.
-2016 Ghostbusters... FAIL. By no means am I against an all new cast (regardless of gender or species) but the audiences hated it (as I disliked it), not what was they 'Felt' they might have been promised and no studio wants to be responsible for 'Butchering' what most consider a classic & something many find special.

To quote Seth Rogen, perhaps "Less is More". Is that why the original did so well? I cant say given the variables that currently exist todays world (thats why were here in Forums discussing it). But by Hypothetically pushing that infamous Nostalgia button again like Sony did in '09 with the game, is it Possible to give everyone what they want?
Yes.

I will keep an open mind and Try to remain Objective, but as many here; Im not holding my breath. :P Sadly all that matters to Sony/Ghost Corps is the disgusting 'Bottom Line'.
But if that bottom line profits from things like a decent cast, dancing toasters & a 59 caddy... Im in.
SpaceBallz liked this
By Kingpin
My God! Back's back! :)

My two cents on the story's location: I'm only interested in the "small town" aspect if it only plays a small part. New York is an essential part of the Ghostbusters universe, and I attribute the first two Ghostbusters movies as being what formed my love for the city - I don't mind the possibility of spending some time outside of the city that never sleeps, but I'd be against removing it almost entirely as the backdrop for the plot.
SSJmole, back, savintheday and 3 others liked this
By back
Agreed Ben! NYC is critical to the success of the Nostalgia theme presented in the trailer. More specifically & Obviously - Hook & Ladder 8. As I fore mentioned in my prior post, half an hour in a small town getting the movies trousers up and the remainder in NYC to finish combing its hair... So to speak. ;)
Then again... If NYC is nothing more than a bit at the End of the film, it could pose the possibility for a sequel. An Equally (if not more) successful sequel preferably.
Food for thought.

And Yes... Im back. lol
By GBfan77
Dear lord Lets hope we don't have to deal with the backlash of the 2016 movie. Two Years of Trolling, accusations, and "My Childhood is ruined" was enough. I don't want to go through that again.
Alphagaia liked this
By Alphagaia
It did awake some of the more extremer trolls, I already had someone say he wanted to stop all ATC fans from seeing it because we didn't deserve it (10 points if you guess who), but I hope we get beyond this soon, as this should be something we all enjoy!
GBfan77 liked this
By GBfan77
Alphagaia wrote: January 19th, 2019, 9:30 am It did awake some of the more extremer trolls, I already had someone say he wanted to stop all ATC fans from seeing it because we didn't deserve it (10 points if you guess who), but I hope we get beyond this soon, as this should be something we all enjoy!
I'll take a wild guess, was it the same guy who Trolled Feig for two years straight while the movie was being made?
By GBfan77
Alphagaia wrote: January 19th, 2019, 9:41 am You just earned yourself 10 points.
That guy is not even a fan. He said a horrible thing that involved Harold Ramis's corpse that I do not wish to repeat. He was here a while back, did he get banned? I hope so.
By Alphagaia
GBfan77 wrote: January 19th, 2019, 9:44 am
Alphagaia wrote: January 19th, 2019, 9:41 am You just earned yourself 10 points.
That guy is not even a fan. He said a horrible thing that involved Harold Ramis's corpse that I do not wish to repeat. He was here a while back, did he get banned? I hope so.
He even got banned on Twitter. But he seems to have attracted a few like minded followers / alts who want to one up each other with trolling the fanbase out of spite. Ah well. It's almost sad beyond believe, and probably still has an alt here, but he is like the buzzing of flies to the franchise.
GBfan77 liked this
By Kingpin
GBfan77 wrote: January 19th, 2019, 9:44 amhere a while back, did he get banned? I hope so.
He was banned permanently, his actions were beyond disgusting. Were it within my power I would have him kicked out of the country as he doesn't represent the best what the U.K. has to offer.
Alphagaia, GBfan77, back and 3 others liked this

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]