Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By deadderek
Davideverona wrote: March 18th, 2019, 12:36 am GB2020 will absolutely have no connection to ATC, as Jason clearly stated in his first interview.
I hope he sincerely sticks to it. ATC had it's chance, let it stay in the comics.
RichRyan1507, BatDan, Davideverona and 1 others liked this
By timeware
I know you weren't being serious. Sometimes my sarcasm comes off as seriousness when I type. Mine was a joking response. I liked ATC but like I said I'd rather it be a small cameo then a direct link to the girls. Like Holtzmann's necklace or the book MC Carthy wrote with a different author attached to it.
mrmichaelt liked this
By BatDan
Or what if ATC is completely fictional in the RGB universe?

Like in the cartoon, the movie exists, and in Gb2 the song exists, in Gb20 the reboot can exist as a inverse movie people watch. Lol
By *NormalGamer*
philmorgan81 wrote: March 17th, 2019, 8:58 pm Hey Maybe. Who knows? I don't think they will touch the 2016 universe in this one though. I think the ongoing comic already did an awesome job bridging the gap between the 2 worlds better than any movie could. :):):)
Agreed. The IDW GB prime universe continunity (in addition to it's unified dimensional worlds) is pretty much it's own thing.
deadderek wrote:
Davideverona wrote: March 18th, 2019, 12:36 am GB2020 will absolutely have no connection to ATC, as Jason clearly stated in his first interview.
I hope he sincerely sticks to it. ATC had it's chance, let it stay in the comics.
@ *referring to bold*

I'm very comfortable with that; the ATC crew should feel right at home in the IDW universe and the IDW crew did a good job of that. Still, I don't mind the ATC crew getting a sequel of it's own (at least exclusively in the GB2016 world), someday.
deadderek, Davideverona, mrmichaelt and 1 others liked this
By mrmichaelt
It would have been inside baseball for general audiences but if there was a lot more planning in advance done and they weren't so many scenes during the end credits of ATC or maybe made a bonus scene for the Blu-ray -- I would have loved a shot of old Ray polishing Ecto-1 then he steps away and turns his back to put some stuff away -- and the portal from ATC opens up above Ecto-1 and the ATC Ecto-1's wreck slams into Ecto-1. Instead of being pissed, Ray is astonished. The portal closes. Then Winston walks into the scene, looks at the wreck, looks at Ray. Fade to black. "What did you do, Ray?" That was the kind of linkage I was thinking Reitman wanted. But I digress. Again again. Sorry. But... then it was lend to Ecto-1 being in a barn under a tarp... nah.

Jason Reitman was enough on his plate, trying to fit in a link to ATC as a parallel universe or just a random easter egg is more work he doesn't need.
Sav C, *NormalGamer*, deadderek and 1 others liked this
By RichRyan1507
Slimered wrote: March 18th, 2019, 5:19 pm
Doesn't mean he can't change his mind.

Yes it does. The script was green lit as is. They'd have to get rewrites approved. Also, after the train wreck that ATC ended up being from a financial, critical, and social media perspective, I think it's a safe bet you'll never see a crossover, let alone another standalone film. As it should be.

Let dead dogs lie, stop beating dead horses, et-cetera, et-cetera...
deadderek liked this
By Dr.D
Oh boy, someone threw out my second franchise. Godzilla is a good model to follow. Many reboots only connected to the original. And even now, they've rebooted wholesale and it sounds like Toho is gonna do it again and let Legendary have their own Godzilla for the time being.
By Sav C
Dr.D wrote: March 18th, 2019, 5:33 pmIf anything, I think this movie should have a very insular feel. Don't go overboard setting up sequels or spin-offs.
This--so much this. With a lot of movies that take place in big franchises, half of the movie feels like it is simply there to set up more sequels and whatnot. Unless this movie is a two-parter, i.e., Harry Potters and the Deathly Hollows, I really do not want it to feel like it exists to set up future Ghostbusters movies. I'd like to see all of the subplots tied up neatly.
mrmichaelt, deadderek, RichRyan1507 and 1 others liked this
By mrmichaelt
Dr.D wrote: March 18th, 2019, 5:33 pmBut I think this will be pretty self-contained. If anything, I think this movie should have a very insular feel. Don't go overboard setting up sequels or spin-offs.
Sav C wrote: March 18th, 2019, 8:55 pm This--so much this. With a lot of movies that take place in big franchises, half of the movie feels like it is simply there to set up more sequels and whatnot. Unless this movie is a two-parter, i.e., Harry Potters and the Deathly Hollows, I really do not want it to feel like it exists to set up future Ghostbusters movies. I'd like to see all of the subplots tied up neatly.
Well said, Dr. D and Sav C.
Sav C, robbritton liked this
By timeware
Dr.D, I was referring to a line from Godzilla the series, but your point is valid. I can't remember what episode but that line stuck with me.

While I would like to see plot lines wrapped up in one movie it's going to be a passing of the torch. We'll either get an end credit showing the kids all grown up, then nothing. Or we get the kid's stumbling onto another case with a cliff hanger going to an avengers card saying Ghostbusters will return in 2023. If there are other movies I'm betting a crunch bar they'll be filmed back to back unless there's a time jump for Ghostbusters 4.
By Coover5
Agreed, Sav C. MCU is a huge success and there's no question of the quality but they are on their 22nd film in an on going story. That is exhausting. I'm sure most of us love Star Wars but the latest trilogy will run over 6 hours in total and take 4 years to come out from start to finish. (I do acknowledge the originals took longer to release) As much as I love the mega franchises I'd love to be able to go see a story that starts and ends in that trip to the theater.
Sav C liked this
By BatDan
Agreed with the last few posts.

This movie just needs to be an ending chapter to the first 2 with maybe a new cartoon and let that be it. We already have 3 (soon to be 4) movies, 2 cartoons andI an assortment of video games and comics, and im content with that.

And yeah, I don’t “get” the superhero movie craze either, they’re all the same. I just think of CGI characters and explosions. No depth or concrete story. And I say this as a comic book fan.

Personally I think we’re in a dark age of film. Hollywood has become so corporately tight wound that it’s turned itself into a factory with an assembly line rather than artists making films. “Conveyor belt movies” meant to be commercials for the next conveyor belt movie.
By Davideverona
Dr.D wrote: March 18th, 2019, 5:33 pm Scripts don't need approvals to be changed. Trust me.

But I think this will be pretty self-contained. If anything, I think this movie should have a very insular feel. Don't go overboard setting up sequels or spin-offs.
You know something, don't you? :)
By Davideverona
I was thinking... In your opinion what will be the worst months in the GB20 production?

I think those after shooting is done.

Now we have some nice tidbits now and then, we'll finally have the cast announcement, some behind the scenes and set pics... But after they do the last take it will be silence and the exasperating wait until the trailer is released.
By back
I dont thing the GB 2020 Trailer we all saw has ANYTHING to do with the Movie coming up.
I dont think the Ecto is in some barn Anywhere rusting away under a tarp, I dont think anyone is working on Anything (Pack, Trap, etc) in there, The ectoplasm on the fence means nothing, the score has nothing to do with the new movie.

NONE of the Teaser has Anything to do with the new GB flick... I think it was a strategic move by the studios & writers/directors to REMIND us all of what Ghostbusters Was, What its Supposed to be, and the new flicks (god help us here) continuation of the story (cool!)... but I seriously doubt think we'll see any Old School packs, Ectos, firehalls, nothing of the sort.

The teaser can be related to your mom smacking you on the back of the head when you do something stupid, said teaser was only an attention getter... Nothing more.

I think its safe to say, our attention is held... Now what? :whatever:
By deadderek
back wrote: March 19th, 2019, 3:56 am I dont thing the GB 2020 Trailer we all saw has ANYTHING to do with the Movie coming up.
I dont think the Ecto is in some barn Anywhere rusting away under a tarp, I dont think anyone is working on Anything (Pack, Trap, etc) in there, The ectoplasm on the fence means nothing, the score has nothing to do with the new movie.

NONE of the Teaser has Anything to do with the new GB flick... I think it was a strategic move by the studios & writers/directors to REMIND us all of what Ghostbusters Was, What its Supposed to be, and the new flicks (god help us here) continuation of the story (cool!)... but I seriously doubt think we'll see any Old School packs, Ectos, firehalls, nothing of the sort.

The teaser can be related to your mom smacking you on the back of the head when you do something stupid, said teaser was only an attention getter... Nothing more.

Oh Lord I hope not.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By back
deadderek wrote: March 19th, 2019, 4:12 am
back wrote: March 19th, 2019, 3:56 am I dont thing the GB 2020 Trailer we all saw has ANYTHING to do with the Movie coming up.

Oh Lord I hope not.
...I know... But, like I said - its like your mom smacking you in the back of your head getting your attention. :whatever:
By RichRyan1507

I think that at you're wrong on this. On the Crossrip podcast for this week, they said that they confirmed that Eric Steelberg, the director of cinematography for GB20, also played that role on the teaser. Because of that, my gut tells me that the teaser was, at least, an indication of a plot point.
By Dr.D
Here's my take, the barn and stuff will be seen in the movie but not what we saw in the trailer. I assume this trailer was something kinda like the awesome teaser from Terminator 2.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By Coover5
philmorgan81 wrote: March 19th, 2019, 10:59 am Yeah if they just wanted to get our attention why put the Ecto in a barn. Why not just have the Ecto under a tarp in the Firehouse set they made for the 2016 film if they just wanted to remind us who the Ghosbusters were?

I think the barn is important. :):):)
That has been my stance since it was first brought up that the teaser could be anything other than a hint of what is to come. The only way I can see this not being the case is if the teaser is a "prequel" as can be the case with some teasers. Those are teasers that offer up a little bit of what happened before the film and often act as a bridge between a film and its sequel.
By Slimered
RichRyan1507 wrote: March 18th, 2019, 5:27 pm
Slimered wrote: March 18th, 2019, 5:19 pm

Doesn't mean he can't change his mind.

Yes it does. The script was green lit as is. They'd have to get rewrites approved. Also, after the train wreck that ATC ended up being from a financial, critical, and social media perspective, I think it's a safe bet you'll never see a crossover, let alone another standalone film. As it should be.

But that's not the shooting script. Screenplays go through numerous drafts, even after being green-lit, and even during shooting there are different amendments made to the material. Even the production stage wouldn't be too late for them to film a quick mid or post-credits scene tying the 1984 and 2016 universes together.
By philmorgan81
Coover5 wrote: March 19th, 2019, 4:52 pm
philmorgan81 wrote: March 19th, 2019, 10:59 am Yeah if they just wanted to get our attention why put the Ecto in a barn. Why not just have the Ecto under a tarp in the Firehouse set they made for the 2016 film if they just wanted to remind us who the Ghosbusters were?

I think the barn is important. :):):)
That has been my stance since it was first brought up that the teaser could be anything other than a hint of what is to come. The only way I can see this not being the case is if the teaser is a "prequel" as can be the case with some teasers. Those are teasers that offer up a little bit of what happened before the film and often act as a bridge between a film and its sequel.
Oh yeah this is always my go to as an example, it is like the teaser for Tron Legacy. The teaser is pretty much pre events of the film, but it gives you an example of what is going on in the story. I feel that is what is going on with the teaser to this movie. :):):)

Just to put it out for anyone who hadn’t seen the Tron Teaser back in the day. :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iFxMhlNC3ss
RichRyan1507 liked this
By RichRyan1507
Slimered wrote: March 19th, 2019, 5:15 pm
RichRyan1507 wrote: March 18th, 2019, 5:27 pm

But that's not the shooting script. Screenplays go through numerous drafts, even after being green-lit, and even during shooting there are different amendments made to the material. Even the production stage wouldn't be too late for them to film a quick mid or post-credits scene tying the 1984 and 2016 universes together.

No.
Coover5, savintheday, deadderek and 2 others liked this

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]