Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By RichardLess
Davideverona wrote: July 8th, 2019, 2:17 am Seems like the crew and Grace are having a lot of fun in Calgary before shooting starts. Look at their Instagram feeds.
Now there's something you don't see everyday. The words "fun" and "Calgary" used in the same sentence.

I kid. I kid.
Sav C liked this
By deadderek
As far as I can tell the only 2020 merchandise (the background image is from the teaser) would be the toasted marshmallow liqueur right guys?

(At the moment anyways)
By lozbloke
Anyone else have a feeling that Terror Dogs may be making a reappearance in this one?

I remember Jason pointing out that these were the entities he was most scared of in the first movie.

It's just a feeling I have, rather than an opinion :)
Sav C liked this
By Kingpin
lozbloke wrote: July 8th, 2019, 8:18 am Anyone else have a feeling that Terror Dogs may be making a reappearance in this one?
If they do, it'd be in some visual-only capacity like a drawing, or a photograph. I have faith in Jason that he'll do something different to what we've already seen, much like his father, Dan and Harold did with Vigo.
lozbloke liked this
By Davideverona
Doctor Venkman wrote: July 8th, 2019, 9:31 am
Davideverona wrote: July 8th, 2019, 2:17 am Seems like the crew and Grace are having a lot of fun in Calgary before shooting starts. Look at their Instagram feeds.
Is there a list somewhere of everyone we should follow?
Finn Wolfhard, Grace Mckenna, Jason Reitman, François Audouy and Eric Steelberg for sure.
By *NormalGamer*
‘Ghostbusters 2020’ Rounds Out Cast With Two Newcomers (EXCLUSIVE)

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/ghos ... 203261342/

Two of them are POC; the actors names are Logan Kim and Celeste O'Connor.
mrmichaelt liked this
By mrmichaelt
deadderek wrote: July 8th, 2019, 7:32 am As far as I can tell the only 2020 merchandise (the background image is from the teaser) would be the toasted marshmallow liqueur right guys?

(At the moment anyways)
Hard to say right now, as devilmanozzy can attest, it all gets muddled. So some stuff might be considered 35th anniversary and 2020 merch, some just 35th, and some just 2020.
Doctor Venkman wrote: July 8th, 2019, 9:31 am
Is there a list somewhere of everyone we should follow?
https://twitter.com/JasonReitman
https://www.instagram.com/jasonreitman/

https://twitter.com/gilkenan

https://www.instagram.com/audouy/

https://www.instagram.com/ericsteelberg/

https://twitter.com/h20warrior (Sheena Duggal)

https://twitter.com/dannyglicker

https://twitter.com/carriecoon

https://twitter.com/MckennaGraceful

https://twitter.com/FinnSkata
*NormalGamer* wrote: July 8th, 2019, 1:58 pm ‘Ghostbusters 2020’ Rounds Out Cast With Two Newcomers (EXCLUSIVE)

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/ghos ... 203261342/

Two of them are POC; the actors names are Logan Kim and Celeste O'Connor.
Nice, classmates of the Finn and Grace's characters no doubt.
*NormalGamer* liked this
By deadderek
RichRyan1507 wrote: July 8th, 2019, 6:24 pm A little note: if you want to avoid a bunch of politics don't click on Sheena, Danny, or Carrie. Yikes.
Some people are big on politics, nothing yikes about it.
By deadderek
Feel free to.

So to be back on topic more we all agree these are probably just classmates.

Paul Rudd's classroom is filling up.
Sav C, robbritton liked this
By RichardLess
RichRyan1507 wrote: July 8th, 2019, 6:24 pm A little note: if you want to avoid a bunch of politics don't click on Sheena, Danny, or Carrie. Yikes.
Is it politics disagreeing with a sex offending, racist, lying scum bag like Trump? I thought it was just common sense?

Seriously though. I didn't see Politics for that Danny dude. Just promoting his movies. There's one thing about Sinclair broadcasting but I'd hardly call that "a bunch".

So it looks like Steelberg will be DP'ing the movie after all. Hmm. Not sure how I feel about that. I was hoping Jason might expand his visual palette a bit. Maybe Steelberg will show some flair & surprise us.

Let's just pray the film is shot in 2.35:1 and in actual celluloid film. Not digital. I'm not a fan of digital cinematography. I'd also love for them to use anamorphic lenses like the original. Time will tell.
Sav C, deadderek, robbritton and 2 others liked this
By Sav C
The teaser was in 2.39:1, however without any bokeh or lens flaring, I couldn't tell you definitively if it was shot with an anamorphic lens or not. It does seem to have the slight blurring around the corners of an anamorphic lens, although it's far too hard to tell. The behind the scenes shots are not detailed enough to tell, although I would wager a guess that it was digital.

I love the look of film, although sometimes these days with film being color graded digitally, I can hardly tell the difference. Maybe I didn't watch The Force Awakens in high enough definition, but it being shot on film did nothing for me. I'm sorry. I would've sworn that the scene where Rey met Luke on that island was shot digitally; the color grade was just a bit strong or something. I mean, maybe I unwittingly watched it in 720 HD or something (I saw it on Netflix), but if it was in full HD, then I didn't see much of a difference.

Anyway, I don't mind digital cinematography. Sometimes it can be quite nice. Film does have a more natural, rugged look when used right, though, which I definitely prefer.
deadderek, robbritton liked this
By RichardLess
Sav C wrote: July 9th, 2019, 12:49 am The teaser was in 2.39:1, however without any bokeh or lens flaring, I couldn't tell you definitively if it was shot with an anamorphic lens or not. It does seem to have the slight blurring around the corners of an anamorphic lens, although it's far too hard to tell. The behind the scenes shots are not detailed enough to tell, although I would wager a guess that it was digital.

I love the look of film, although sometimes these days with film being color graded digitally, I can hardly tell the difference. Maybe I didn't watch The Force Awakens in high enough definition, but it being shot on film did nothing for me. I'm sorry. I would've sworn that the scene where Rey met Luke on that island was shot digitally; the color grade was just a bit strong or something. I mean, maybe I unwittingly watched it in 720 HD or something (I saw it on Netflix), but if it was in full HD, then I didn't see much of a difference.

Anyway, I don't mind digital cinematography. Sometimes it can be quite nice. Film does have a more natural, rugged look when used right, though, which I definitely prefer.

I can always tell. Especially in low light or when you see fire at nighttime, it will give digital away everytime. Like the end of Skyfall. Or even in the Game of Thrones pilot. The pilot episode was shot twice. Some scenes from the original pilot made it into the cut and that 1st version used film. I can tell every scene that was from that original pilot because the refilmed version was shot on digital. Harsh source light like fire, in low light conditions give digital away every time.

I just love the film aesthetic, ya know? Same way I prefer old school ink and paint in animated movies vs the CAPS digital colour system. When the Simpsons went digital...it lost something. I hate that sterile uniform look. I love imperfections that show a human hand had some involvement, ya know?

You mentioned behind the scenes of the teaser. Are there behind the scenes pics I'm not aware of? I'd love to see them.
Sav C liked this
By Davideverona
RichardLess wrote: July 9th, 2019, 1:37 am
Sav C wrote: July 9th, 2019, 12:49 am The teaser was in 2.39:1, however without any bokeh or lens flaring, I couldn't tell you definitively if it was shot with an anamorphic lens or not. It does seem to have the slight blurring around the corners of an anamorphic lens, although it's far too hard to tell. The behind the scenes shots are not detailed enough to tell, although I would wager a guess that it was digital.

I can always tell. Especially in low light or when you see fire at nighttime, it will give digital away everytime. Like the end of Skyfall. Or even in the Game of Thrones pilot. The pilot episode was shot twice. Some scenes from the original pilot made it into the cut and that 1st version used film. I can tell every scene that was from that original pilot because the refilmed version was shot on digital. Harsh source light like fire, in low light conditions give digital away every time.

I just love the film aesthetic, ya know? Same way I prefer old school ink and paint in animated movies vs the CAPS digital colour system. When the Simpsons went digital...it lost something. I hate that sterile uniform look. I love imperfections that show a human hand had some involvement, ya know?

You mentioned behind the scenes of the teaser. Are there behind the scenes pics I'm not aware of? I'd love to see them.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BszGFeyhIF_ ... rp6dujsayy

You're welcome :)
RichardLess liked this
By RichardLess
I love so much how the teaser doesn't even play the theme song, just the Elmer Bernstein score. That was a bold choice. That was to signify to everyone "this is connected to the original". I think the theremin sound is almost as iconic as the theme song. It's so eerie and yet beautiful.

Here's something I hope Jason does(something that Quentin Tarantino did in Django Unchained and the makers of Superbad did): use the old school '70s/'80s Columbia logo. I'd love to see that.
robbritton, Sav C, Kingpin liked this
By robbritton
RichardLess wrote: July 9th, 2019, 4:56 am I love so much how the teaser doesn't even play the theme song, just the Elmer Bernstein score. That was a bold choice. That was to signify to everyone "this is connected to the original". I think the theremin sound is almost as iconic as the theme song. It's so eerie and yet beautiful.

Here's something I hope Jason does(something that Quentin Tarantino did in Django Unchained and the makers of Superbad did): use the old school '70s/'80s Columbia logo. I'd love to see that.
As did the Ghostbusters Video Game, to great nostalgic effect!
Sav C, RichRyan1507, Kingpin liked this
By Dr.D
I gotta imagine they are saving the theme for when a real, theatrical trailer releases.

As for the cinematography, I think Jason and his crew know that a hyper-polished digitally shot movie isn't the best option. The cinematography in the first Ghostbusters is nothing short of breathtaking. László Kovács filmed Ghostbusters like a drama/horror movie. No hypersaturated colors or super blown-out actors in frame. Lots of shadows and TONS of camera movement. Next time you watch GB, watch just how often the camera is moving. GB1 doesn't get enough credit for how beautifully shot it is.
RichRyan1507, Sav C liked this
By RichRyan1507
I don't know about you guys, but with production starting next week I'm thinking about joining the guys from the Crossrip podcast and avoiding any information coming out of Calgary that spoils the plot and what not so that it can be as exciting and new to me as possible when I see it for the first time. Obviously I'll still look at the news coming from reputable sources, but only for basic stuff.

Anyone else thinking about doing that?
By Sav C
RichardLess wrote: July 9th, 2019, 1:37 am I can always tell. Especially in low light or when you see fire at nighttime, it will give digital away everytime. Like the end of Skyfall. Or even in the Game of Thrones pilot. The pilot episode was shot twice. Some scenes from the original pilot made it into the cut and that 1st version used film. I can tell every scene that was from that original pilot because the refilmed version was shot on digital. Harsh source light like fire, in low light conditions give digital away every time.

Oh yeah, I forgot about low light stuff. Grain obviously enhances a shot, while noise detracts. When they shoot night shots on digital, they avoid noise, but the shot is then too smooth for video. (DSLR photographs in low light, on the other hand, are quite beautiful.) I still maintain that it depends on the color grade, though. Film loses its aesthetic when the colors are altered too heavily on the digital intermediate.

I don't watch The Simpsons a lot, but I know that I preferred the hand drawn Beavis and Butthead to the digitally animated reboot.
By timeware
Hand drawn was the best.people have become spoiled with tablets and flash.surprising a lot of 80s animated films still hold up. Frank frazetta fire and ice, transformers animated movie, and most of what dic came out with were ahead of their time. Mighty Max and king Arthur knights of Justice are worth revisiting.
By Kingpin
It very much depends on who was animating it, for every beautifully animated episode of The Real Ghostbusters (The Collect Call of Cathulhu, Ghostfight at the O.K. Corral, Night Game), you had an equal number of really poorly animated episodes (A Fright at the Opera, Play Them Ragtime Boos, Boo-Dunit), and that was during the show's heyday (and of course, the poorest episodes of season 1 and 2 were still amazing compared to the poor episodes by the time of season 7).

I understand the adoration for hand-drawn animation, but I prefer a consistant look across the board.
By *NormalGamer*
Kingpin wrote: July 9th, 2019, 3:55 pmIt very much depends on who was animating it, for every beautifully animated episode of The Real Ghostbusters (The Collect Call of Cathulhu, Ghostfight at the O.K. Corral, Night Game), you had an equal number of really poorly animated episodes (A Fright at the Opera, Play Them Ragtime Boos, Boo-Dunit), and that was during the show's heyday (and of course, the poorest episodes of season 1 and 2 were still amazing compared to the poor episodes by the time of season 7).

I understand the adoration for hand-drawn animation, but I prefer a consistant look across the board.
@ *referring to bold in last sentence*

If you mean balance, I agree.

timeware wrote:I just hope hand drawn doesn't become a lost art. Sure pixel, 3d,cell shading are fun but sometimes you have to go back to the basics.
I hear ya. That doesn't mean I prefer one drawing style over the other; there's a place for all kinds of drawing styles (2D, 3D or otherwise) as long as they're done well on it's own terms in good quality.
By RichardLess
Dr.D wrote: July 9th, 2019, 12:33 pm I gotta imagine they are saving the theme for when a real, theatrical trailer releases.

As for the cinematography, I think Jason and his crew know that a hyper-polished digitally shot movie isn't the best option. The cinematography in the first Ghostbusters is nothing short of breathtaking. László Kovács filmed Ghostbusters like a drama/horror movie. No hypersaturated colors or super blown-out actors in frame. Lots of shadows and TONS of camera movement. Next time you watch GB, watch just how often the camera is moving. GB1 doesn't get enough credit for how beautifully shot it is.
I could talk about this all day. The tracking shot with Egon in the lead in the library basement?? Or how about the shot of the New York skyline when all the containment ghosts escape? That static shot of just seeing the energy beams get higher and higher while spreading out?

Or even something like how heroic the GB's look in their stand off with Gozer? They are framed like its a western. I swear to god when Venkman is calling out to "grab your sticks" as they walk closer to the threat, with the music, and the cutting? Oh man. THAT scene is why I'm a ghostbusters fan. I can't even tell you how excited as a kid, how pumped I got over that scene, It's just great filmmaking. Great use of every discipline. Editing, music, effects, cinematography.

You know what effect doesn't get enough credit? Gozer's air flip. That's a seriously awesome effect that 100% holds up. And the little details of the electricity/energy beams on her feet when she lands? Beautiful.
Sav C, seekandannoy, robbritton and 2 others liked this
By RichardLess
Kingpin wrote: July 9th, 2019, 3:55 pm It very much depends on who was animating it, for every beautifully animated episode of The Real Ghostbusters (The Collect Call of Cathulhu, Ghostfight at the O.K. Corral, Night Game), you had an equal number of really poorly animated episodes (A Fright at the Opera, Play Them Ragtime Boos, Boo-Dunit), and that was during the show's heyday (and of course, the poorest episodes of season 1 and 2 were still amazing compared to the poor episodes by the time of season 7).

Well like anything, you get what you pay for right? The problem with TV animation is, well most TV animation, that you have multiple companies animating different episodes. And let's just say not every company is built the same lol. But I get what you are saying. And I'd be lying if it said I don't love 1080p episodes of something like Young Justice or Legends of Korra. What they can accomplish today is amazing. The finale of Avatar The Last Airbender is just beautiful(of course I say "today" and that episode is over 12 years old lol)

But I look at TV shows, GREAT animated TV shows like Batman: The Animated Series, the first 7 seasons of the Simpsons, Batman Beyond, Superman, Justice League etc and...I don't know. There's just something missing when you look at a season 6 episode of The Simpsons and look at an episode made today(I mean besides the writing and bad jokes lol). There's a soul missing.

Sorry this got WAAY off topic lol.

So how about the GB2020? Amirite folks?
By SpaceBallz
Just binged season 3 of stranger things, Finn looks like a young Egon. He's definitely a Spenlger.
GBFANS Ghostlabs light kit

When you say you only have the proton pack light k[…]

I'm not familiar with this one (is it a model?) […]

Also somewhat related question...I don't see giz[…]

Ghostbusters Day 2024

Even if Frozen Empire somehow made a billion dol[…]