Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
groschopf wrote:
Alphagaia wrote: March 12th, 2021, 10:06 am How awesome would driving the Wrecto-1 and using the Gunners Seat be?
RIGHT?! I figure the Void would just retool their Ghostbusters experience so it would be longer and visually in line with the new film. Bummed that it might not happen now.
If I'm not mistaken, there was a VOID-like experience at Ghostbusters fan fest a couple of years ago. It was based on the original movies, but was still in its "beta" phase. I believe the winner of a contest got to go through it with Ernie Hudson.
JonXCTrack wrote: March 12th, 2021, 12:44 pm
groschopf wrote:
RIGHT?! I figure the Void would just retool their Ghostbusters experience so it would be longer and visually in line with the new film. Bummed that it might not happen now.
If I'm not mistaken, there was a VOID-like experience at Ghostbusters fan fest a couple of years ago. It was based on the original movies, but was still in its "beta" phase. I believe the winner of a contest got to go through it with Ernie Hudson.
One of the friends I made before the event on the GB sub-Reddit was one of the lucky few selected to go through the demo at Fan Fest. The VIP tickets received a free pass to the VOID experience in Santa Monica, but it was impossible to find, and when I finally got there, it was disclosed that you actually had to make an appointment before-hand. A complete waste of a Sunday. Fan Fest was cool, but it was mostly disorganized and disappointing in some ways. The worst was seeing goofs walking around with entire boxes of programs (that were simultaneously listed on eBay, of course) while people like myself didn't even get one.

From what I heard, all of the VOID experiences in CA have closed. I work for another VR experience (Dreamsape) and we re-opened in December in Columbus after being closed for 9 months. Our HQ is in LA, and I still believe everyone is working from home. In the future we're supposed to finally get the M.I.B. experience, and naturally I would do anything for an Afterlife VR.
Alphagaia wrote: March 11th, 2021, 9:05 pm I honestly think Merch is a big reason Afterlife exists.
100% correct. No business such as Sony goes to the trouble of having a movie like Ghostbusters:Afterlife made without a plan for success. Merchandise is pretty much it.
deadderek wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 11:01 pm Outside of the original trailer release for the most part Ghostbusters: Afterlife has completely fallen out of the minds of the general public.

Us GB fans and movie lovers keep up to date but not the average Joe.

Most people getting vaccimes by the end of May does sound nice, but that's if everything goes well. There's all kinds of potential snags and problems that can happen.

It's a safer bet for a bigger box office to hold off just a little longer.

I highly doubt it'll get pushed up.

Also what marketing push do you expect about a release date change? Outside of trade announcements,social media, and entertainment outlets there's not much else to do.

The revised trailer didn't even specify an exact date.

If the marketing starts to ramp up we'll know Sony has faith in the release date sticking.
It usually is about 6 months from when a movie hype up thing starts to when the film finally is in theaters. So they likely will keep close to the date, as maybe with a week or two more delay, assuming that the May vaccination goes as planned.
Alphagaia, deadderek liked this
Having worked in movie theaters as an usher for most of my life, i can tell you this, they want a big box office draw! They want this to be the film people return to theaters to see and thats a perfectly reasonable expectation.

That said, if we all can get a vaccine starting may 1st (i allready got my first dose and due for the 2nd one on March 25th, and i got it because of my weight and other underlying health issues) then it stands to reason that it is possable sony can move back the release date from november (which to me is a far better opening for James Bonds No time to die then ghostbusters afterlife).

With the current pandemic going on, all final cut ready to go movies dont need a huge 6 month hype window to market them. Most people know of their existance in one form or another and realize they are ready to go and just need to know when and if they will be able to return to theaters (Meaning will their theaters be open) so your "Hype Train" as i call it (the time needed to inform and market the movie) for the most part gets cut down to 3 months or less now.

HBO and Warner brothers, Amazon, etc were pushing day and date releases like Wonder Woman 84, Tom and Jerry, Coming 2 America, Borat 2, etc roughly within a 3 month window with trailers, tv spots, interviews, etc.

Now granted, ghostbusters afterlife as far as i know is not doing a day and date release with theaters and on demand. My current understanding is they want a strictly theratical release.

But with things getting better and theaters open in LA and NY (Both HUGE markets for the US) they have been willing to push up opening on Peter Rabbit 2 earlier then expected so to say its not a possibility that afterlife wont do the same is just wrong. I'm sure they are atleast having internal discussions about it.

And even if they did do it, their current marking for the film would be incredibly simple to change! Theres no new posters or trailers with the November date! Everything now is just a quick photoshop job with the current stuff. All they would have to do is update the current poster and trailer on social media with the updated date!

So that said...Hypothetically if they were to do that, i dont think we would still make the June 11th former release date. Id expect the earliest would be late June to Mid July, Possibly August.

More likely is it will get pushed into October and have it dominate Halloween! (Its only 12 days earlier then November 11th and the film is complete, it would be easy to do)

That said, lets say it keeps the November release date, i expect to see hype for it around August or July. Maybe even a new trailer and interviews at Digital Comic con!

If its earlier then i expect something next month! (the time we were supposed to get a 2nd trailer last year before the pandemic ruined everything)

Again this is all guesswork on my part, but you do want to get your hype train rolling 3 months before its released, give or take, so if they are going to push it back in the summer (a 50/50 possibility) The time to announce it and get marketing out the door is quickly closing...

If we go say to April 15 to June 11th without any updates, then its a safe bet its keeping the October/November release!
We're not out of the woods yet on Covid. It's pretty clear they want and expect GBA to have legs on a full theatrical release.

Just because a theater is re-opened doesn't automatically put asses in seats.

It's going to take time for people to feel safe to do so, and I'm willing to bet for a big release like Afterlife, they aren't going to all of a sudden push it back up to summer.

Just don't see it happening, Fall makes more sense.
I never really liked theaters as a whole... cramped, stuck with people I don't know and can't legally punch when they pull out a cell phone, and talking during the movie...

However, the movie EXPERIENCE is un matched. That bigger than life picture, the over the top sound... you can't beat that!

That said, I've been asking around and found a couple places that rent out entire theaters which is what I plan to do for this movie. Just me, a few friends, and Ghostbusters Afterlife.
Alphagaia, deadderek liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: March 15th, 2021, 5:12 pm Hasbro issued it's initial press release for this years Hasbro Pulse Fan Fest virtual event. Like last year, Ghostbusters wasn't in it but presumably will be added on later.

Thread in Collectibles area.
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=47592

EDIT: Marketing got back to me. Ghostbusters will not be in this event. :(
Wow. How is that even possible?
deadderek liked this
pizzarat wrote: March 15th, 2021, 6:29 pm Wow. How is that even possible?
There's a lot of possibilities why. It could be that Sony/Ghost Corps requested a marketing freeze of sorts, or as Toy Fair alluded to they are planning smaller virtual events so to avoid stepping on each other's toes GB will headline one of these events instead of Hasbro Pulse's, or there's an agreement to present everything at a hypothetical Ghostbusters Day virtual event in June instead - which would also help them gauge their marketing schedule as that would be 1 month after the vaccine is available to all and see if their schedule can finally re-sync with marketing for the movie should the outlook look great and the November date sticks. In hindsight, the writing was on the wall with Hasbro revealing the three Kenner reissues on their own rather than waiting until the Pulse Fan Fest and release it online right after. I guess they were going to reveal them at Toy Fair but once that fell through, Walmart wanted to stick to the March 15 date so they did a basic online debut using their social media and PR contacts. It's also intriguing that for this fan fest, only G.I. Joe and Ghostbusters have movies coming out and it's Joe's Snake Eye's movie that's getting a feature and that movie comes out in October.

But I'm hedging my bet that the next big merch reveal will be at a Ghostbusters Day virtual event.
timeware wrote: March 15th, 2021, 10:04 pmAre silent movies even popular anymore, or will it be one big game of Charades?
The Artist was pretty popular when it came out in 2011, and it's not like the whole cast of the Snake Eyes movie will be silent.
Alphagaia liked this
Since were getting Real Ghostbusters episodes on youtube due to afterlife coming out, I kind of wondered if the series came out later then it did...Would we have gotten some kind of Freddy Krueger parody instead of the boogeyman? I'm trying out a new style.

timeware wrote: March 17th, 2021, 3:27 amWould we have gotten some kind of Freddy Krueger parody instead of the boogeyman?
No, I don't think so. The fact Extreme Ghostbusters somehow managed to get the Cenobites in was most likely a result of that show being aimed at the teenage market, I doubt RGB could ever have gotten a parody of Freddy off the ground. The closest it likely would ever come to that was the verbal reference in The Two Faces of Slimer.
deadderek wrote: March 12th, 2021, 3:54 am
Alphagaia wrote: March 11th, 2021, 9:05 pm I honestly think Merch is a big reason Afterlife exists.

I once did some digging and even ATC gave them lots of 'easy' merch/ royalties money which is often overlooked. Highlights being a German GB themepark ride (complete with hotel and a floor of GB rooms) and that VR thing from the VOID.
Afterlife was made because of...merchandise?

ATC merchandise sat on shelves collecting dust and hit clearance racks. Even our much beloved Ecto Cooler eventually was being sold for 33 cents a can at Big Lots.
Just like its performance at the box office, Ghostbusters (2016) may not have done as much in merch as the studio hoped, but I would not use that (or straggling unsold toys) to come to the conclusion that it did not do well merch-wise. The cost-to-profit ratio is probably different for every kind of merchandise they produced, and unlike the making of the movie itself, I think the ratio there is pretty much in the black from the beginning, since any given toy costs less than they sell it for. Also, even if the movie was hugely popular, some percentage of perishables are always going to end up at Big Lots! style stores -- don't tell me you've never seen any Marvel-branded food at a Big Lots!, and we all know those are $1b+ grossers.

More importantly, any new Ghostbusters movie moves allGhostbusters merch. The reboot brought that incomplete DVD of "The Real Ghostbusters" to shelves. Sony repackaged the original and several other unrelated movies from their catalog for Walmart with the iron-on patches in the plastic wrap. They sold stickers and notepads and flash drives and pencil tins that just had the logo on it. There were new lines of 1984 action figures, the digibook with the 4K remastered editions went back out to stores, and they probably sold a ton of digital copies. So on and so forth. Afterlife has already resulted in The Video Game being remastered and pushed to various platforms, the "Real Ghostbusters" toy revival, another round of food merchandise trickling out, more IDW comics, more Funkos, etc. Wouldn't be shocked to see a new repackage of the discs in the now OOP 35th Anniversary Steelbook get released when Afterlife finally opens.

Anyway, I think we can now definitively say (and I would've guessed this to begin with) that Afterlife is not moving up: Sony has pushed Venom 2: There Will Be Carnage to September.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ium=social
Last edited by tylergfoster on March 17th, 2021, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've said it time and time again the movie won't be pushed up. Makes zero sense to.
Kingpin, Hairy Biker liked this
deadderek wrote: March 17th, 2021, 9:09 pm I've said it time and time again the movie won't be pushed up. Makes zero sense to.
While I 100% agree, crazier things have happened.
Remember in 2016 when we all thought the franchise was dead? Just saying.

But yeah it won't come forward and hopefully it won't go back either. But I would love it if Jason Reitman just gave us something. Anything. A close up of Paul Rudds chin!
We all thought the franchise was dead? I never thought that. Strong opinions on the movie aside, it could never be the end of a franchise.

It was the year I got the Lego Firehouse, a new movie, comics, toys, a new ride to enjoy in Germany etc.
The year I found out out about GB Dutch Decision and saw the group thrive and grow while kids ran around with proton packs. The year a GB movie got awarded with a best picture for kids.

In my bubble it did the opposite of killing a franchise. It put GB back into people minds and expanded the fan base. Got GhostCorps started and announcing new projects. Even with a movie that didn't do anything near as good money wise as they hoped, the boost in GB awareness did also a lot of good aside from the arguing among fans because they liked it or not. With time even softening some strong opinions on it.

For me and probably many others, it was time to become a GB (again). Ready for more.
Kingpin, robbritton liked this
Well, I don't think anyone forgets the hyperbole shouted by some when ATC came out and wasn't to their liking so it was therefore the end of the franchise. But that's a whole other section of the forum and not really something we need to revisit here...

I think we can safely say there were 2 six year periods when the bear really went in the cave for the winter (unless I made an egregious omission and by all means correct me):

November 1991 to August 1997: RGB ended on October 22, 1991 and EGB premiered on September 1, 1997.

January 1998 to February 2004: EGB ended on December 8, 1997 and the 88 MPH comic Legion started in February 2004. The big bright spot though was the 1999 DVD releases of the 2 movies. But Legion kind of got the ball rolling again, then the Tokyopop comic, IDW started their run in October 2008, The Video Game in 2009, Time Life releasing RGB on a DVD series set, and so on.

And let's face it, there are more fans that you'd think who skipped on The Real Ghostbusters and/or Extreme Ghostbusters and the comics and it was really a 20 year hibernation until the next big official release with Ghostbusters: The Video Game that re-ignited the torch of the franchise again.

Here's hoping that along with the merch train chugging along, Afterlife does take things into overdrive again and we get things like the IDW comics continuing, another animated series, that animated movie gets revisited, more movies... maybe even Sony will bust out a streaming service and puts out more series that you shake a stick at. Hope springs eternal.
Alphagaia, Kingpin, deadderek and 1 others liked this
I'm pretty sure we've already just revisited it on both ends.

As for the release date of Afterlife, yeah, I think the likelness of it being pushed up are nil, but what I wouldn't love more than the universe re-aligning itself for a Halloween weekend release. Not much of change in date, but I'd love it. I don't know what's filling up that slot now, but they have their reasons for the November date even if I haven't bothered to look it up.
deadderek liked this
Kalonthar wrote: March 19th, 2021, 3:51 pm I'm pretty sure we've already just revisited it on both ends.

As for the release date of Afterlife, yeah, I think the likelness of it being pushed up are nil, but what I wouldn't love more than the universe re-aligning itself for a Halloween weekend release. Not much of change in date, but I'd love it. I don't know what's filling up that slot now, but they have their reasons for the November date even if I haven't bothered to look it up.
It's in an interesting position being released 11 days after Halloween and two weeks before Thanksgiving. My hope is that the momentum is so strong enough to be competitive with other big releases going into December. Based on the weekend attendance I've noticed lately at my AMC without any major releases I think there's going to be a very strong demand once they start trickling out. As frustrating as it's been, it will have been worth the wait it if the box-office returns are even better than what Sony projected originally.

Perhaps we'll get that "Pass the Proton Pack" trailer in June? I'm now planning on what to wear to the premiere. I'd really like a "jacket" version of the original flight-suit, but I could settle on one of those Magnoli flightsuits as well over a white GB II shirt.
Kalonthar wrote: March 19th, 2021, 3:51 pm As for the release date of Afterlife, yeah, I think the likelness of it being pushed up are nil, but what I wouldn't love more than the universe re-aligning itself for a Halloween weekend release. Not much of change in date, but I'd love it. I don't know what's filling up that slot now, but they have their reasons for the November date even if I haven't bothered to look it up.
Well, a Halloween date would put it up against a week old Snake Eyes (the G.I. Joe spin off movie) whereas in its current slot it going up against Marvel's Eternals, Clifford the Big Red Dog, then Mission Impossible 7 a week later, and Encanto (a Disney CG animated movie) the week after that. December has West Side Story, Spider-Man: No Way Home, Matrix 4, and Sing 2 already.
pizzarat wrote: March 20th, 2021, 2:50 pm Perhaps we'll get that "Pass the Proton Pack" trailer in June?
If any day would be ideal for a new trailer, it would be Ghostbusters Day in June.
pizzarat liked this
I don't see a full blown trailer until at least July, but they'll give us something on Ghostbusters day. I believe last year we just got an ATC poster, or was that the year before? What I would like to see is maybe a video tour of the new/old equipment. It won't give alot of way and they know they need to feed us something other then cereal and twinkies.

Which I will be filling my pantry with as soon as I can get them. Hell, maybe they'll announce the re release of Ecto Cooler, but again I don't see a trailer coming. product, yes. If we don't get hit with a huge covid wave before the summer's end maybe we will see a trailer in July and the November date will hold.
Looks like Apple Maps accidentally documented the Ecto-1(s) at a filming location in Dorothy, Alberta, Canada.

source: https://twitter.com/ChrisNolan_ca/statu ... 29540?s=20

There also appeared to be a staging area for the production to the west. You can see the semi that hauled the cars around surrounded by a makeshift parking lot, trailers and tents.

mrmichaelt, Kingpin, Sav C liked this

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]