Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
c.fago wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 8:45 pm Austin what's happened to your Afterlife pack build thread? I was following it with great interest. You did a beautiful job and your pics where fantastic too!
Off-forum stuff happened. I know that's not a satisfying explanation, but we should respect Austin's decision in this instance to take the thread down.
Nicholszz liked this
c.fago wrote: August 4th, 2020, 2:39 pm I understand and hope he's not having legal troubles from the production for sharing some pack infos with our community.
Doubt it. I'm guessing he was firmly told to cease and desist. I'm sure they would only start the legal troubles if he didn't take it down. It's cleaner for all sides this way and caused the least amount of riples.
It wasn't just the trailer...someone involved know was sharing info.

Just my 2 cents but probably shouldn't have shared the info anywhere, albeit the leak is more of the responsibility of the original source who leaked it. Can't really blame the poster as who wouldn't want to get started on a build and post photos with insider info, but if the source was a friend that's just bad taste in my opinion.

My friend's family member holds a pretty good position in the CGI industry and works on major marvel movies, and she won't even disclose to her own family what movie she's working on at a given time. That stuff is normally sealed up like top secret. You get caught leaking stuff you arent supposed to you get blacklisted in the film industry...

I think Jason Reitman said at one point he want's this movie to "unwrap like a x-mas present" so it's best to keep it that way and stop snooping where the gifts are hiding.

:wrongforum:
Nicholszz, RedSpecial liked this
A few choice snippets from the recent NYSE video:

Special credit to Dan Harshman for identifying this as a Neutrik Powercon cable coupling.

A small glimpse of the new Ion Arm switch.

And the full pics from the 4K upload (right click to view in full size):

Jimsy33, Wafflerobot, kahuna900 and 1 others liked this
Ok official pics are out so cat's out of the bag now!
It's definitely some type of male/female powercon connector, possibly made by Neutrik.
The male 3 prong part goes in the thrower handle (most likely modified to fit)
The female part is painted silver attached to the split loom somehow (maybe tape as well)

There's many variations of powercon adapters out there, many of which look the part
Jimsy33, Kingpin, groschopf and 3 others liked this
RedSpecial wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 10:49 pm that and a dixie bracket instead of a v-hook :sigh:
I'm not a fan of either of those details .
Not only that, but the male portion of the Dixie bracket lacks the aluminum block to offset it from the pack.
Glenn Frederick liked this
Lowberg wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 8:55 pm I just realized they are using that silly dale resistor nut that soo many fans put on their packs despite it never being on GB1/GB2 packs hahahaha I guess now it's the way!
Do you mean this one?

This is a photograph of the GB2 hero pack worn by Bill Burray.

?

And this is a photo from when GB1 was covered in Life magazine
Thank you Red Special lol

Yea in those photos that's yellow epoxy leaking out. They never ever used the hexagon brass nut on the outside of the ion arm on any movie pack but yet 80% of fans who build proton pack replicas put it on there for some reason lol I'm not saying it doesn't look cool on the new packs, it's just funny that they most likely made that decision based off what fans have been doing.
RedSpecial liked this
Demon Vice Commander wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 10:59 pm Not only that, but the male portion of the Dixie bracket lacks the aluminum block to offset it from the pack.
I dunno, I think there might be a mounting block there (highlighted in red):

Lowberg wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 8:03 am Thank you Red Special lol

Yea in those photos that's yellow epoxy leaking out. They never ever used the hexagon brass nut on the outside of the ion arm on any movie pack but yet 80% of fans who build proton pack replicas put it on there for some reason lol I'm not saying it doesn't look cool on the new packs, it's just funny that they most likely made that decision based off what fans have been doing.
The prop makers bought parts from sellers on this site, it's not surprisong they referenced fan builds.
Last edited by Bison256 on September 23rd, 2020, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowberg liked this
Kingpin wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 1:32 pm
Demon Vice Commander wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 10:59 pm Not only that, but the male portion of the Dixie bracket lacks the aluminum block to offset it from the pack.
I dunno, I think there might be a mounting block there (highlighted in red):

Good eye! There's definitely something there; it does look a bit crooked, though...
One detail of these ‘new’ packs I really like is the use of the strain relief fitting as a boot on some of the tubing. The cut sections of loom on the originals work on screen but aren’t believable under close scrutiny to me.

I predict a huge drop in demand for Spectra cable after the new movie is released.
Jimsy33 liked this
Yea! The strain relief connections look really good in my opinion and fortunately are inexpensive and not hard to find. If anyone knows the correct size for those let me know, I know they come in sizes like PG7, PG7, PG11...

I took a shot in the dark and decided to try some old military surplus tape for the Spengler grip. I think it looks very very close and has the right amount of sheen. Also wrinkles up very similar. It's very similar to gaffers tape in thickness and how it rips.
The color is hard to match right now, the few photos we have of the Spengler tape look different in different lighting...as well as this tape. I'm happy for how close it is.

I did a test wrap on a Mattel thrower:

zeta otaku, Kingpin, Jimsy33 and 1 others liked this
Lowberg wrote: September 29th, 2020, 11:52 am ...
I took a shot in the dark and decided to try some old military surplus tape for the Spengler grip. I think it looks very very close and has the right amount of sheen. Also wrinkles up very similar. It's very similar to gaffers tape in thickness and how it rips.
That's exactly the same kind of stuff I'm replacing my rubber grip with. I have my own 3D printer so I have this which I will secure in place and then wrap entirely with tape to hide the seams
What do we think about the Clippard? This thread shows that the two Clippard valves, the 331 and 701, do not really have a consistent placement across the various props from both GB1 and GB2.

I was pretty convinced that the Clippard on the Spengler wand was a 331 because a) the footage at the toy launch shows a "nipple" on the knob and it looks to be slightly recessed and b) the undersized Clippard on the wand looks more like a 331. The R-701 has a flat top adjustment knob which does not have a "nipple".

So I went ahead and created a 331 style knob for my 301 and made a video for it here...

However... some have claimed that its still a 701 and the knob is just screwed down to the bottom. It's not really possible to tell yet as we've not had a sufficiently high-resolution look at the wand.

In the Facebook 'Spengler wand modders' group some people have found other (non-Clippard) brand adjustment knobs and created a 701 effect from cheaper Clippards like the 301 (see image below).

So could Egon have replaced the knob on his wand? What does the GB hive mind think... 331 or a 701?
Jimsy33 liked this
Anyone know where the new yellow cable terminates. I see that it goes from the base and follows the ribbon cable up does it also go into that same hole or does it go someplace else?
Proton Props UK

BOK's record speaks for itself. He should have b[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]