Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By StarSpengledBanner82
I don't know if this has ever been discussed before, whether here or in the comics, but I got to thinking about something the other day. It was sort of a point of contention in the new trailer when they mentioned the "gunner seat" and it got me to thinking. Has anyone ever actually said what the actual "function" of all the things on the Ecto actually are? Like what do the blue pipes actually exist for? What does the rotating satellite thing actually exist for? Has there ever been like an Ecto "origin" story that I don't know about or don't remember? I think if not then it would be cool to see that explored because the Ecto is as much of a Ghostbuster to me as the actually characters are. Just curious if anyone knew about any of that stuff.
By StarSpengledBanner82
BRD 527 wrote: February 19th, 2020, 6:02 pm Well there is the Ectomobile Haynes manual :love:
Man that's insane that that thing exists! Have you actually read it or did you just know about it? I've never seen it before but I am absolutely NOT a "car guy" but man I love the Ecto big time and would kill to have one. I just don't happen to have the six figures laying around that it would take to get one. LOL!
By Kingpin
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: February 19th, 2020, 4:28 pmHas anyone ever actually said what the actual "function" of all the things on the Ecto actually are?
Must of the stuff on the roof of Ecto-1, like a lot of the equipment in the Firehouse, and even some of the equipment the guys have carried in the movies has never had an explanation behind them, though we can guess some of it is for paranormal detection. I also believe some of the stickers either on the car following its restorations, and/or its replica featured at Universal Studios, suggested some of the tanks and hoses were for ectoplasm storage.

The cartoon has delved a little into what some of the gear does, You Can't Take It With You established that the "Sniffer" (white/grey box with two red tubes in the film, completely red with a single rod in the cartoon) is a scanner with directional indication capabilities).
By mrmichaelt
Yeah, still one of those lingering questions 36 years later, does Dan Aykroyd have names for and ideas for what these parts did. Stephen Dane was the hardware consultant but his designs didn't have any official names if there were any, just the actual parts used. I mean it's possible, all this time, they kept the icon ghost's Mooglie name a secret until recently.

Alternatively, Troy Benjamin and/or Marc Sumerak also came up with some interesting explanations in the Ghostbusters: Ectomobile book. It's not a REAL Haynes book but a fictional take done in co-operation with Haynes.
By StarSpengledBanner82
It would be awesome to get a true Ecto origin and find out that it had probably hauled some prominent people on their way to the grave back in its day.
By Bison256
mrmichaelt wrote: February 20th, 2020, 2:00 am Yeah, still one of those lingering questions 36 years later, does Dan Aykroyd have names for and ideas for what these parts did. Stephen Dane was the hardware consultant but his designs didn't have any official names if there were any, just the actual parts used. I mean it's possible, all this time, they kept the icon ghost's Mooglie name a secret until recently.

Alternatively, Troy Benjamin and/or Marc Sumerak also came up with some interesting explanations in the Ghostbusters: Ectomobile book. It's not a REAL Haynes book but a fictional take done in co-operation with Haynes.
Yes Dan has names and functions for all the stuff on ecto 1, watch this https://youtube.com/watch?v=SjXvCHnHjVw Dan doesn't go in to full detail but gives some information.
mrmichaelt, SpaceBallz liked this
By StarSpengledBanner82
Bison256 wrote: February 20th, 2020, 12:37 pm
mrmichaelt wrote: February 20th, 2020, 2:00 am Yeah, still one of those lingering questions 36 years later, does Dan Aykroyd have names for and ideas for what these parts did. Stephen Dane was the hardware consultant but his designs didn't have any official names if there were any, just the actual parts used. I mean it's possible, all this time, they kept the icon ghost's Mooglie name a secret until recently.

Yes Dan has names and functions for all the stuff on ecto 1, watch this https://youtube.com/watch?v=SjXvCHnHjVw Dan doesn't go in to full detail but gives some information.
That video is great. It's awesome how that car can make so many people just instantly nerd out. I actually have a white MINI Cooper and I put some No Ghost magnets on each side that a guy made for me and people would even geek out over just those. There's just something about this car that seriously resonates with people. It has to be in the top 3 or 4 Hollywood vehicles ever. It's my favorite and I know some would say the Batmobile but that car has seen multiple iterations but there is truly only one Ecto and it has stood the test of time. The Delorean is way up there too but I honestly would take an Ecto over any of them.
By Hairy Biker
The blue pipes are cable conduits. They have all the cables from the roof gear running onto the internal gear.

I have the Haynes manual and it does go into detail about what some of the stuff is.

I can't remember much of the top of my head.
Theres a radar which is the white dome with red stripes that connects to a system inside.
The white box with the fan is a HVAC.
Thats all I can really remember at the ment though.
By RealGhostbusterJay
The Troy manual book is a gem. It's available online and at most bookstores so if your truly interested in what the items do then check it out for sure. Also has info on the Ecto-1A and the ATC Ecto. I'm more curious if there will be an updated version with Afterlife information or if anything from the original book will be retconned. They did it with the Falcon manual from Star Wars.
By StarSpengledBanner82
RealGhostbusterJay wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 1:47 am The Troy manual book is a gem. It's available online and at most bookstores so if your truly interested in what the items do then check it out for sure. Also has info on the Ecto-1A and the ATC Ecto. I'm more curious if there will be an updated version with Afterlife information or if anything from the original book will be retconned. They did it with the Falcon manual from Star Wars.
I kid you not! My wife tells me to go check the front porch to see if something has been delivered and I was like "I didn't order anything" and she said "well I ordered a surprise" and I go open it and it's literally the hardback Haynes Manual and I have NO idea how she even knew about it because she really couldn't care less about all the nerdy stuff that I'm into. It's definitely a REALLY cool book though!
By Theoderic
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: February 25th, 2020, 6:14 am
I kid you not! My wife tells me to go check the front porch to see if something has been delivered and I was like "I didn't order anything" and she said "well I ordered a surprise" and I go open it and it's literally the hardback Haynes Manual and I have NO idea how she even knew about it because she really couldn't care less about all the nerdy stuff that I'm into. It's definitely a REALLY cool book though!
Damn ya'll... now i have to buy that book too :wink:
By StarSpengledBanner82
Theoderic wrote: February 25th, 2020, 4:39 pm
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: February 25th, 2020, 6:14 am
Damn ya'll... now i have to buy that book too :wink:
I was about to leave for work this morning when my wife told me to go check the porch for a delivery because there was a "surprise" out there. So then when I texted her thanking her she calls me later and explained that ACTUALLY my best buddy found it for me and sent it to me immediately when I was talking to him about this thread and that book the other night. So I gave my wife credit for what my buddy did. LOL!!!
Kingpin liked this
    Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]