Discuss the upcoming movie to be released in 2020 and directed by Jason Reitman.
#4941442
The first couple of episodes of S01 were great and interesting because it looked like there would be more depth coming. But there wasn’t.

Just no depth to the whole thing. Shallow and uninteresting enemy exposition that stays stale for 3 whole seasons. You know as much about the enemy in the beginning of season 1 as the end of season 3. Nothing changes. Which would be okay for me if there was depth to it, but there isn’t.

I think producers all sat in a room and said how can we make a Netflix show that combines 80’s nostalgia with Goonies and the Alien Xenomorph and that was it.

It’s like the only thing interesting about the show is the visual 80’s nostalgia and not actually what made the 80’s interesting in the first place.

-None of the believable grit, depth and intriguing mystery of X-Files
-None of the mind bending unexpected twists of something like Twilight Zone
-The cerebral terror of Alien replaced with simple overdone gore. No hiding the monster to evoke fear (Alien, Jaws) but just showing it all the time. The cgi isn’t even that gory.
-I laughed out loud about 4 times in 30 hours of watching.

It’s like the opposite of Black Mirror.

I loved the reverence to GB84 in the Afterlife trailer but when GB Afterlife gets into the second act and it’s just a bunch of young children running around singing and doing shallow Stranger Things stuff, I’m worried.
JA Slow liked this
#4941452
One time wrote: October 27th, 2020, 2:29 pm I loved the reverence to GB84 in the Afterlife trailer but when GB Afterlife gets into the second act and it’s just a bunch of young children running around singing and doing shallow Stranger Things stuff, I’m worried.
The fears that Afterlife is going to be "Stranger Busters" still feel to me largely ungrounded. Jason has clearly poured his heart into this project, and I don't feel he'd get this passionate about it for it to end up being something interchangeable with Finn's other prominent role at the moment.

It's not going to be a Stranger Things clone with Proton Packs.
mrmichaelt, Corey91, Sav C and 5 others liked this
#4941457
One time wrote: October 27th, 2020, 2:29 pm The first couple of episodes of S01 were great and interesting because it looked like there would be more depth coming. But there wasn’t.

Just no depth to the whole thing. Shallow and uninteresting enemy exposition that stays stale for 3 whole seasons. You know as much about the enemy in the beginning of season 1 as the end of season 3. Nothing changes. Which would be okay for me if there was depth to it, but there isn’t.

I think producers all sat in a room and said how can we make a Netflix show that combines 80’s nostalgia with Goonies and the Alien Xenomorph and that was it.

It’s like the only thing interesting about the show is the visual 80’s nostalgia and not actually what made the 80’s interesting in the first place.

-None of the believable grit, depth and intriguing mystery of X-Files
-None of the mind bending unexpected twists of something like Twilight Zone
-The cerebral terror of Alien replaced with simple overdone gore. No hiding the monster to evoke fear (Alien, Jaws) but just showing it all the time. The cgi isn’t even that gory.
-I laughed out loud about 4 times in 30 hours of watching.

It’s like the opposite of Black Mirror.

I loved the reverence to GB84 in the Afterlife trailer but when GB Afterlife gets into the second act and it’s just a bunch of young children running around singing and doing shallow Stranger Things stuff, I’m worried.

The CGI wasn’t even that gory? ...Who told you it was? Why do you need it to be gory?

Stranger Things is suppose to be a fun Supernatural/Horror show with great characters that was inspired by the Amblin/Steven King work of the 1980s. I think it succeeds pretty well at that. It’s by no means perfect, but it’s like you want it to be something it was never intended to be.

You don’t know more about the creature at the start of S1 than you do at the end of S3? Pretending that’s true(it’s not) mystery and mythology is used in TV shows like this all the time.

As for depth? I find the character of Steve extremely fascinating in that he started off as one type of character and evolved into another.

The shows not for everyone & S1 is clearly the best of the 3, but it seemed like you were watching it with the expectation that it was something it wasn’t.
deadderek liked this
#4941464
RichardLess wrote: October 27th, 2020, 7:46 pm
The CGI wasn’t even that gory? ...Who told you it was? Why do you need it to be gory?
In my view they went for gore over suspense. Like in Alien 1 and Jaws the creatures are specifically not shown often to generate suspense while other movies go more for the physical revulsion of showing a lot of gore. I get the feeling that here they went for the latter. In doing so it still wasn’t that revolting or gory in my view. That is what I meant, not that I specifically wanted it to be gory. Personally, gore doesn’t do it for me.
RichardLess wrote: October 27th, 2020, 7:46 pm
Stranger Things is suppose to be a fun Supernatural/Horror show with great characters that was inspired by the Amblin/Steven King work of the 1980s. I think it succeeds pretty well at that. It’s by no means perfect, but it’s like you want it to be something it was never intended to be.

You don’t know more about the creature at the start of S1 than you do at the end of S3? Pretending that’s true(it’s not) mystery and mythology is used in TV shows like this all the time.
Fair enough. I agree that the human characters are (or rather started out) interesting and unique. Especially El, her acting in the first season was masterful (which the actor won awards for if I remember correctly). Dustin and Lucas were quite funny in S01.

But I’m talking more about the “Stranger” in Stranger Things. (Spoilers). There just was no strangeness at all to it. Just an alternate dimension where it’s continually night time and stormy filled with 1 large monster and many identical smaller Xenomorph like copies (Demogorgons). All identical. I mean even in the Alien franchise (which is a B franchise at best) the monsters all have variations and different types / lifecycles, etc. Here all the Demogorgons are (and for all 3 seasons remain) identical.

It’s also not deep and doesn’t make you think like Steven Kings books. Consider something like King’s “Langoliers” where a passenger plane accidentally gets a few minutes out of sync with time / reality and we see that as we pass through time reality behind us in time is erased by langoliers.

Here it’s just a simple and static alternate dimension (that doesn’t do anything) of which we learn nothing in 3 seasons.

I’ll give you the fact that the main monster changes from season 1 to season 3 from being made of smoke to being made of melted flesh, and that it attempts to take over people’s minds.

RichardLess wrote: October 27th, 2020, 7:46 pm
As for depth? I find the character of Steve extremely fascinating in that he started off as one type of character and evolved into another.

The shows not for everyone & S1 is clearly the best of the 3, but it seemed like you were watching it with the expectation that it was something it wasn’t.
I agree that the human character development in some of the characters was there. Especially Steve and Hopper. But can you say the same for the rest?

I guess my main problem with Stranger Things is that the title made me expect something truly “Strange”.

Like imagine if the demogorgons (instead of just mindlessly attacking all the time) had begun to show some intellect / character / telepathic ability and the human characters slowly and horribly find out the demogorgons are actually the characters themselves just viewed from a different perspective.

Or that it had all (or in parts) been induced by the equivalent of the MK-Ultra program in the USSR and that these battles between demogorgons and the characters were actually psychical (mental) conflicts between Russian and American subjects/psychers in their equivalent MK-Ultra programs. Where both sides see the other as anthropomorphic monsters. But who orchestrates the conflict?

Or that the other dimension is actually real and like the langoliers has been sent to cleanse the Earth due to how crazy humanity made it with the cold war and risk of nuclear annihilation. Sent by who?
Cue the USSR and the USA working together to save the Earth and the show goes into the funny idiosyncrasies of how both sides viewed each other back in the 80’s. A TV show that contributes positively and humorously to real world geopolitics. Wouldn’t that be a sight.

Or ANYTHING strange or deep or unexpected really.

Instead of here are a bunch of people and here are a bunch of monsters and they fight for 30 hours.
#4941987
Afraid I have to agree that GBA will be Stranger Busters, Stranger Things: The Movie, etc. The log line during the pitch meeting was probably: "Kids find the Ghostbusters' stuff and shenanigans ensue." It's not going to the GB3 we've wanted or needed after all these years. The remake was nothing more than an insult.

Hate to say it but these guys called it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1kF1vyOtTc&t=664s

I'll will appreciate GB2 more than ever now that it's the last of its kind. On a side note, the studio needs to concede to the beer virus and just release this via VOD already.
#4942006
JA Slow wrote: November 9th, 2020, 6:25 pm Afraid I have to agree that GBA will be Stranger Busters, Stranger Things: The Movie, etc. The log line during the pitch meeting was probably: "Kids find the Ghostbusters' stuff and shenanigans ensue." It's not going to the GB3 we've wanted or needed after all these years. The remake was nothing more than an insult.

Hate to say it but these guys called it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1kF1vyOtTc&t=664s

I'll will appreciate GB2 more than ever now that it's the last of its kind. On a side note, the studio needs to concede to the beer virus and just release this via VOD already.
Oh wow. Cool. Looks like someone has finally seen the movie! That’s cool. Shame you didn’t like it JA Slow. Since you’ve obviously seen it, was it funny? What would you give it out of 10? I have so many questions. That’s pretty cool a regular fan like you got a sneak peak. Where was the screening?


*rubs temples*

You realize Stranger Things itself is a homage show, right? I mean...kids + Supernatural elements does not automatically = Stranger Things. This idea that because an actor from the show is in it and it involves kids, adventure & the supernatural and therefore it’s “Stranger Things The Movie” is just plain stupid. It is. We’ve seen a single trailer for the movie. One.
deadderek, mike_waclo, Kingpin and 3 others liked this
#4942008
RichardLess wrote: November 10th, 2020, 5:33 am We’ve seen a single trailer for the movie. One.
And the impression we've been given by the cast is that it barely scratches the surface of the "meat" of the movie.
JA Slow wrote: November 9th, 2020, 6:25 pmHate to say it but these guys called it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1kF1vyOtTc&t=664s
Those guys have called nothing, they just complained about the second teaser trailer not living up to their expectations.
Glenn Frederick, Dr.D, Sav C liked this
#4942010
When are people going to learn the difference between personal expectations and objective quality?

You didn't like Stranger Things. We get it. You're entitled to your opinion. But all of this projection and baseless speculation just makes y'all sound like another sad fanboy who is upset they don't make movies exactly like they did back in the 80s. It takes very little effort to criticize something that hasn't been released, especially since we have very little actual info outside of casting.

Stranger Things is an 80s homage series that lives on 80s nostalgia. Jason Reitman is an Oscar nominated director who is the last person who needs to or would want to be involved in some lame cash-grab Ghostbusters movie.
#4942017
Dr.D wrote:When are people going to learn the difference between personal expectations and objective quality?

You didn't like Stranger Things. We get it. You're entitled to your opinion. But all of this projection and baseless speculation just makes y'all sound like another sad fanboy who is upset they don't make movies exactly like they did back in the 80s. It takes very little effort to criticize something that hasn't been released, especially since we have very little actual info outside of casting.

Stranger Things is an 80s homage series that lives on 80s nostalgia. Jason Reitman is an Oscar nominated director who is the last person who needs to or would want to be involved in some lame cash-grab Ghostbusters movie.
LOL! Yeah I think the Stranger Things comparisons are a little unfair. Like has been said Stranger Things whole theme is that it is an 80s Nostalgia show. It is an homage to the likes of Goonies, ET, Explorers, and Monster Squad.

Now what I am about to say is speculation, all bite positive speculation, but still pure speculation. I think Afterlife may wind up being the last of it's kind. By that I mean any film that follows in the Ghostbusters Franchise may not have the same kind of love and attention that this film is getting.

Jason Reitman put together some great talent and what he called a big support system to make sure he as making the right kind of film. I really don't know if we will see this kind of effort go into the franchise again. Of course I could be wrong Afterlife could be for the franchise what Iron Man did for the MCU.

Now I am not saying that they will make a huge Cinematic Universe out of it, or the even another sequel. Rather I think Afterlife will put Ghostbusters back in a bigger part of the main stream like it was during that period of 1984 to 1991 when merchandise the films and cartoon were a big part of pop culture.

I mean I can't tell you how much it warms my heart to see Ghostbusters Toys aimed at not just hardcore collectors, but aimed at a younger audience hitting the shelves in stores.

If it manages to do that we could be in for more suprises. Afterall there is Ghost Corps. now the guys at IDW could get a chance to pitch their next idea for the comics, we could get that Animated feature film, Ecto Force Cartoon, more toys and who knows what else. It sure is fun to think about. :):):)
Last edited by Kingpin on November 10th, 2020, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added paragraph breaks.
Glenn Frederick, Sav C liked this
#4942018
This content received too many dislikes. Click SHOW to view
Stop kidding yourselves, people. It's nice to be an optimist but it's better to be a realist.

Ivan's son directing this movie is simply nepotism. He said years ago he had no interesting in directing a GB film but now he acts like it's an honor? Ivan probably didn't want the pink slime of a bad third film on his hands.

I had my reservations about posting on this thread as I expected the thought police to swoop in and deride anything non-supportive. I haven't wanted a GB3 since Ramis died which was the day the franchise would never be the same. I see this movie for what it will be and hopefully others will too.
#4942019
"I see this movie for what it is..." And what is that exactly?

And if you wanna talk about being a realist, I'm typing this from the Warner Bros lot. I've been working in the film industry for the last five years while I am by no means some insider expert, I would wager I know more about the ins and outs of filmmaking and the studio system than most. Sony isn't in any kind of position to throw away one of the only in-house IPs they have left. Trying to make another movie in a franchise where the last entry lost $70+ is not exactly cash grab behavior.

There's a difference between being a realist and being myopic. No one is saying you have to support or be excited for the new movie. But your tone and the content of your posts is pretty confrontational and egotistical.

Not posting costs you nothing. No one is policing your thoughts, maybe if that's how you feel you need to take a look at your own perspective and ask why you feel this way. Most of us are simply pointing out alot of unfounded, baseless negativity that seems to stem from the fact that this isn't the movie you want to personally see made.
#4942020
Dr.D wrote: November 10th, 2020, 1:42 pm No one is saying you have to support or be excited for the new movie. But your tone and the content of your posts is pretty confrontational and egotistical.
Have you seen my avatar? I'm not Mr. Positive. I expect others to dismiss most of what I say not because I thrive on negativity but because unpopular opinions seem less respected than supporting the status quo. I'm done with this topic so enjoy Stranger Busters!
#4942021
philmorgan81 wrote: November 10th, 2020, 1:24 pmEcto Force Cartoon.
We may see another animated series at some point, but I honestly think the Ecto Force project is dead.
JA Slow wrote: November 10th, 2020, 1:31 pmI had my reservations about posting on this thread as I expected the thought police to swoop in and deride anything non-supportive.
You're not gonna get a green card with that attitude, pal.
JA Slow wrote: November 10th, 2020, 1:49 pmI expect others to dismiss most of what I say not because I thrive on negativity but because unpopular opinions seem less respected than supporting the status quo.
People are likely to dismiss your opinions because they feel they're wrong, or overly dismissive.

That remark about Jason only getting the job because of nepotism? That's pretty unfair, that's disregarding his own efforts as a director.
JA Slow wrote: November 10th, 2020, 1:49 pmI'm done with this topic so enjoy Stranger Busters!
I will mister!
zeta otaku, ccv66, philmorgan81 and 2 others liked this
#4942022
The GB3 we wanted died in the early 90s. Is a stranger things Ghostbusters that bad? It's not what I wanted, but I'm okay with it aimed towards a younger audience. I'm sure the movie is going to be predictable and not going to reinvent the wheel, but I'm not expecting to be blown away , Just entertained. Got to have some faith. There's better directors, but probably none the franchise means more too than Jason. Despite his dad thinking the Ghostbusters are full of crap
#4942024
Kingpin wrote: November 10th, 2020, 3:46 pm
philmorgan81 wrote: November 10th, 2020, 1:24 pmEcto Force Cartoon.
We may see another animated series at some point, but I honestly think the Ecto Force project is dead.
JA Slow wrote: November 10th, 2020, 1:31 pmI had my reservations about posting on this thread as I expected the thought police to swoop in and deride anything non-supportive.
You're not gonna get a green card with that attitude, pal.
JA Slow wrote: November 10th, 2020, 1:49 pmI expect others to dismiss most of what I say not because I thrive on negativity but because unpopular opinions seem less respected than supporting the status quo.
People are likely to dismiss your opinions because they feel they're wrong, or overly dismissive.

That remark about Jason only getting the job because of nepotism? That's pretty unfair, that's disregarding his own efforts as a director.
JA Slow wrote: November 10th, 2020, 1:49 pmI'm done with this topic so enjoy Stranger Busters!
I will mister!


Yeah I know Ecto Force is unlikely to happen. Like you said the animated show that we get IF we get it will most likely be something completely different. Heck RGB went through a lot in pre production before it became the show it was. I am sure if we get a new cartoon of some kind it will still be fun to watch no matter what form it takes. ;)

When Ecto Force got shelved I always held out some hope for it to be revisited if the next film turned out to be exceptional. Not only would it be close to the outlandish original premis Aykroyd had for the franchise, but also be so close to what those Fan Films that have come out since 2004. Fans took the whole franchising concept and really ran with it and made some truly fun projects.

I was always curious about what it would be like to see the studio run with a multiple franchise angle. Especially if it was an animated series. I am even okay if the series exists in it's own reality outside film continuity. Just more ways to see some great new Ghost Hunting stories. :):):)
#4942034
JA Slow wrote: November 10th, 2020, 1:31 pm Stop kidding yourselves, people. It's nice to be an optimist but it's better to be a realist.
Wait. Are you saying you’re a realist? Because I’m 90% sure you’re a pessimist. I don’t think you’re being a realist about your pessimism.
JA Slow wrote: November 10th, 2020, 1:31 pm Ivan's son directing this movie is simply nepotism. He said years ago he had no interesting in directing a GB film but now he acts like it's an honor? Ivan probably didn't want the pink slime of a bad third film on his hands.

That’s funny. My sister said the same thing about having kids years ago. She said “Nope. Not me. Im not having kids and I’m never getting married”. But the weirdest thing happened. She got married & has not 1 but 2 kids! I mean how could she do that? She said many times she didn’t want kids and didn’t want to get married. And she just up and changes her mind one day?? The nerve!
JA Slow wrote: November 10th, 2020, 1:31 pm I had my reservations about posting on this thread as I expected the thought police to swoop in and deride anything non-supportive. I haven't wanted a GB3 since Ramis died which was the day the franchise would never be the same. I see this movie for what it will be and hopefully others will too.


Look. Take it from me. I’ve posted about as many non supportive things as you can imagine about the reboot. I can tell you with the utmost certainty that there are no thought police here so long as you aren’t rude, crude or have a bad attitude(hey look me I’m Dr. Seuss over here). But don’t expect to go unchallenged either.
Also, I don’t think Jason said that he didn’t want to do a Ghostbusters movie. He said that audiences wouldn’t really enjoy it because there would be very little Ghostbusting and lots of talking. Do you really doubt his sincerity when he says it’s an honour? For Christ sakes Ivan Reitman starting crying on stage when Jason was talking about making this movie. Ivan is getting old, Sony did not want him to direct & Jason was literally the very first Ghostbusters fan. Ivan is still heavily involved as a producer.

Call it nepotism(or fate, or karma) if you want but there’s something rather beautiful & poignant about a Ghostbusters legacy sequel that involves a passing of the torch both in front and behind the camera. It almost feels like, yeah, this was supposed to be how it happened. All roads led here. The kid from Ghostbusters 2 grew up to direct the next Ghostbusters movie(the reboot notwithstanding). Sounds like fate to me.
Kingpin, Glenn Frederick, Sav C and 2 others liked this
#4942036
I have trouble seeing how Afterlife is going to be like Stranger Things. I mean, Stranger Things isn't supposed to be a dry comedy, right? Just the presence of kids shouldn't equal Stranger Things, no? Super 8--which wasn't a comedy--had kids and was also pretty good (it's been a while since I've seen it last, admittedly).

Heck, the first episode of Stranger Things, if my memory serves me correctly, featured pushy teenagers having relationship troubles, set to a soundtrack of Toto's Africa. I have a feeling that type of stuff won't be in Afterlife (unless it replaces the Louis/Janine subplot which no one besides me seems to like).

Since we're judging the film before we've seen it, I'm giving it a perfect score--5 out of 7.
Last edited by Sav C on November 11th, 2020, 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
#4942040
zeta otaku wrote: November 11th, 2020, 12:17 am That's the big secret about the movie...

It's being made for the sole purpose of getting the Reitman family new sweaters.
I can never square the less than stellar reputation Ivan Reitman has with his seemingly friendly public persona. His all sweater wardrobe may be the reason why.
Davideverona liked this
#4942041
Secret fact: Jason was originally going to go into business making sweaters exclusively for his dad, but his quality wasn't deemed good enough... So he turned to directing as a fallback.
BRD 527, Sav C, Davideverona liked this
    Metal Trunk For My Proton Pack

    That looks so cool. I really like how you display[…]

    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/[…]

    Spengler Legacy pack build

    Here is the current state of the pack. Most of the[…]

    That is awesome and thank you for communicating on[…]