Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
GBfan_CH wrote: December 11th, 2021, 6:02 am https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/gh ... cFjC8wIMS8

First article I’ve seen about how they did the Egon cameo. Spoiler alert — the making of book doesn’t really cover it, which I thought was weird.

They (MPC) usually put some of these videos on their youtube page about how things were done, would be interested in seeing the egon 84 proof of concept vids if they ever release them.
GBfan_CH, starang11 liked this
I finally got an email from Amazon with updated delivery date on the Art and Making of Book....

between February 2 and 10 2022!!!!

Seriously?! I may cancel the preorder and reorder when it’s really available for sure. I am not fan of preordering things long before release and forgetting that I have payments due.

This is certainly a shipping and mail issue much bigger than just this book. I have a EBay order that has not updated it’s tracking in a whole week but at least I know it did ship.
Bison256 wrote: December 11th, 2021, 6:16 pm I had a thought upon playing the game again. Evo Shandor's apperance is based upon the game, was the game's art designer contacted by afterlife's art team? I can't remember his user name but I recall he posted here a few times.
skankerzero.

It was actually Arjen Tuiten who designed Shandor in Afterlife, he did one concept and it was approved.
One time liked this
Avilos wrote: December 11th, 2021, 4:28 pm I finally got an email from Amazon with updated delivery date on the Art and Making of Book....

between February 2 and 10 2022!!!!

Seriously?! I may cancel the preorder and reorder when it’s really available for sure. I am not fan of preordering things long before release and forgetting that I have payments due.

This is certainly a shipping and mail issue much bigger than just this book. I have a EBay order that has not updated it’s tracking in a whole week but at least I know it did ship.
Just checked my email and had to read it three times because I haven't had my coffee yet. Yeah, I may just cancel this one. I'll end up seeing the movie multiple times at home before getting to touch this book.
Avilos liked this

Just checked my email and had to read it three times because I haven't had my coffee yet. Yeah, I may just cancel this one. I'll end up seeing the movie multiple times at home before getting to touch this book.
It’s possible Amazon is just giving an overtly cautious estimate with the holiday slowing everything down as usual. Maybe there could be a better update in beginning of the new year - but it shows right now they have no fricking clue when they will be able to ship the book.

I originally selected free shipping which would have meant a week waiting after release. So last Monday I upgraded to pay for 2 day shipping... LOL by the time it really comes out it won’t be worth the extra money.
Threadender liked this
Ghostbusters: Afterlife grossed an estimated $6.4M internationally this weekend. Estimated international total stands at $52.7M, estimated global total stands at $164.7M.
halliwax wrote: December 12th, 2021, 9:46 am Saw this. Has some great footage of the props

https://youtu.be/fnRfnLlEaLU
I slowed the playback speed of that video down to .025 around the 10:23 mark. Maybe this has been remarked upon already, but the lights on the Spengler pack rotate in the opposite direction of the light pattern we're used to.
deadderek wrote: December 12th, 2021, 9:37 am Ghostbusters: Afterlife grossed an estimated $6.4M internationally this weekend. Estimated international total stands at $52.7M, estimated global total stands at $164.7M.
All good news there. Still, it'd be great if American box office (at $112) could get to $121 so it be #8 on the "Highest-grossing films of 2021" list. Gotta figure Spider-man will buzz past GBAL, and the 4th Matrix film might as well. Though GBAL successfully knocked off Dune in last few days. (Wikipedia "List of American films of 2021" Highest-grossing films of 2021)
Spider-man is definitely going to zoom into the top slot. I honestly haven't seen this much hype for a comic book movie since Endgame.

I also just saw Afterlife again for the 5th time and the end scene STILL GETS ME. I'm going to try to see it one more time before it's out of theaters... any word on an estimated home release date?
deadderek liked this
Does anyone have the Lego wreckto? I'm curious to know how the AMC popcorn bucket compare's in size. Wasn't early enough to get the signed buckets but this thing is beyond impresseive for what their asking for. (For what AMC is asking for. Not what the scalpers are demanding.) Now I have a reason to get those afterlife action figures!
GBfan_CH wrote: December 11th, 2021, 6:02 am https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/gh ... cFjC8wIMS8

First article I’ve seen about how they did the Egon cameo. Spoiler alert — the making of book doesn’t really cover it, which I thought was weird.
According to the article that was also Gunton in the opening sequence, so do we still not know the details of Oliver Cooper's involvement? I guess at this point he either played Egon in some capacity (and the article left him out) or his scene(s) got cut?
starang11 wrote: December 12th, 2021, 8:12 pm

According to the article that was also Gunton in the opening sequence, so do we still not know the details of Oliver Cooper's involvement? I guess at this point he either played Egon in some capacity (and the article left him out) or his scene(s) got cut?
What was the original source of Oliver Cooper’s involvement? Bob Gunton height is 6′ 2″. Same as Harold and close to same age if Harold was still alive. Oliver Cooper’s height is listed as 5’ 7”. Also a lot younger. It seems unlikely he would have ever been considered a good body for Harold.
Avilos wrote: December 12th, 2021, 8:54 pm What was the original source of Oliver Cooper’s involvement? Bob Gunton height is 6′ 2″. Same as Harold and close to same age if Harold was still alive. Oliver Cooper’s height is listed as 5’ 7”. Also a lot younger. It seems unlikely he would have ever been considered a good body for Harold.
Deadline, November 2019.
https://deadline.com/2019/11/stephen-la ... 202778268/

Then on Nightcap Live on April 1, 2020, at 1:21:02, Oliver said, "I did a small thing which was fun...I just did 4 days on it."
Avilos, Corey91 liked this
My absolute and wild speculation?

A cut flashback sequence to Egon in college. Or perhaps he stood in for some old family photos or something?
deadderek wrote:My absolute and wild speculation?

A cut flashback sequence to Egon in college. Or perhaps he stood in for some old family photos or something?
There is some weight to it. If we're going by ages, Oliver Cooper was born in '89 so was around 30 when he filmed his scenes. In GB1, Harold Ramis was around 40 I think. This could have been Egon's graduate/doctoral/professor college years when he met Callie's mother. In that Avios interview, Nate Orloff mentioned there was more about Callie's back story. Hmm.
Bison256 wrote: December 12th, 2021, 5:18 pm I know Afterlife did well considering the market, but I am disappointed it didn't have more of a cultural impact. Oh well, at least we should get a sequel in few years.
Long rant alert.

I’m just going to tell the truth as I see it. I know a lot of people will disagree, but whatever.

Ghostbusters to most people is Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd Ernie Hudson & Harold Ramis. If you make an Indiana Jones movie without Harrison Ford, guess what? People aren’t as interested. I’ve always thought the mistake people make about this franchise is thinking it’s the concept. I don’t. It’s part of it, sure. But it’s the characters. Same way Men in Black is Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones. Look what happened when they replaced them. No one showed up.

The OGB’s weren’t in the movie enough, the trailers never showed their faces and while the audience reception was high I just don’t think “Ghostbusting” on its own is a strong enough concept to get people to the theatres and have a big zeitgeist film that does 300+ million domestic. They want those characters, those actors. Dan and Ivan and the studio have always had this dumb notion that people don’t want to see them busting ghosts anymore. Yes we do! Murray looked awesome at the Scream Awards all decked out in gear back in the day.

I’ve said this before but if Sony would’ve hit that sweet spot, circa 2009-2012, had all the original cast back & a decent enough movie? Huge hit. Huge. Jesus, a lot of people hated the 4th Indiana Jones film and it still did major business. Now based on what I’ve heard of Ghostbusters Alive Again, I’m happy they never made it. Venkman as a ghost was a stupid, dumb, shark jumping idea.

If they make a 4th film and focus on these new characters, which I liked, I think it’ll be the same thing. Give people the original GB’s in substantial roles. That’s how you pass a torch.

Is the film doing well despite the pandemic? Yes. But I think more could’ve been done.

I’m amazed at how many people are excited for the new Spider-Man movie. Do you know why they are excited? It’s not because it’s just any old Spider-Man film. No. Actors they know and are familiar with are coming back for one last ride. Tobey and Andrew will appear with Tom Holland(and Andrews’s Spider-Man franchise isn’t even well regarded! Yet people still want to see it!)

As much as I enjoyed the new movie it kept annoying me how Jason kept on giving the same old “this is for the fans” speech. You know what most the fans wanted? The original actors having more than 5 minute cameos. I want to see what they are up to, outside of ghost busting. And I don’t buy for a second that you couldn’t fit that into this movie. Infact I think it would’ve vastly improved this movie because the way the guys fit in now feels shoe horned and unearned. I want to see Ray getting the band back together. Seeing Winston’s best moment relegated to an after credits stinger was not a good choice.

The movie frustrates me because there is a potential GREAT movie in there. They had the tools and the talent. I mean how do you not end this movie with the Ecto 1 all cleaned up and sparkling, busting out of the firehouse at night, turning that corner in an homage to the first movies first bust? You have Ray, Peter and Winston just sitting around. The alarm goes off. Ray:”It’s a call!” They look at each other with knowing glances. Cut to the fire house doors opening and the Ecto 1, new white paint job, blaring the siren and lights, speeding out into the night to new adventures…fade out. “For Harold”…

Now that’s an ending. People leave the theatre energized and happy.
deadderek, Sav C liked this
I honestly thought we'd get scenes in the second half of the movie with Dan, Bill and Ernie hanging around the farmhouse interacting with Paul, Carrie and the kids. Following Phoebe's phonecall. To me that's the way their implementation should've worked, to organically reintroduce them and explain the 30 year absence, but I'm guessing they just weren't available. (Not even Dan or Ernie?)

As it is, we get a short exposition burst and their sudden appearance at the end - which to me is jarring. I totally see why they did it... but I do wonder if there were multiple versions of the script with varying degrees of OG involvement. It screams logistically issues / reshoots.
deadderek, Wafflerobot, Sav C and 1 others liked this
^totally. And it’s not like it would have made the final scene of them in costume any less epic.

We would have gotten an epic first time seeing them again. They can make all the jokes and stuff all the want at the farmhouse. They break off from the new team and then show up at the end. We see them in full gear and we get second epic moment. This time no weird jokes and forced in as much dialogue as they could since they already did all that at the farm house. Just epic busting and that’s that.

In Avengers Endgame they had Captain Marvel at the beginning and didn’t have her show up until a save the day moment at the end. Wasn’t any less epic.

I said it before but the force awakens handled the OG guys best (aside from Luke). Introduced in second act. Plenty of screen time as supporting characters without taking it away from the new guys.
deadderek, Sav C, Timo liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: December 13th, 2021, 6:44 am I honestly thought we'd get scenes in the second half of the movie with Dan, Bill and Ernie hanging around the farmhouse interacting with Paul, Carrie and the kids. Following Phoebe's phonecall. To me that's the way their implementation should've worked, to organically reintroduce them and explain the 30 year absence, but I'm guessing they just weren't available. (Not even Dan or Ernie?)

As it is, we get a short exposition burst and their sudden appearance at the end - which to me is jarring. I totally see why they did it... but I do wonder if there were multiple versions of the script with varying degrees of OG involvement. It screams logistically issues / reshoots.
Yes this is exactly what I thought too. I enjoyed the movie a lot but having the history of what happened to the OG's between 1989 and now, said quickly on a phone call did seem to me to be a case of logistically issues / reshoots.
RichardLess wrote: December 13th, 2021, 4:45 am
Bison256 wrote: December 12th, 2021, 5:18 pm I know Afterlife did well considering the market, but I am disappointed it didn't have more of a cultural impact. Oh well, at least we should get a sequel in few years.
Long rant alert.

I’m just going to tell the truth as I see it. I know a lot of people will disagree, but whatever.

Ghostbusters to most people is Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd Ernie Hudson & Harold Ramis. If you make an Indiana Jones movie without Harrison Ford, guess what? People aren’t as interested. I’ve always thought the mistake people make about this franchise is thinking it’s the concept. I don’t. It’s part of it, sure. But it’s the characters. Same way Men in Black is Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones. Look what happened when they replaced them. No one showed up.

The OGB’s weren’t in the movie enough, the trailers never showed their faces and while the audience reception was high I just don’t think “Ghostbusting” on its own is a strong enough concept to get people to the theatres and have a big zeitgeist film that does 300+ million domestic. They want those characters, those actors. Dan and Ivan and the studio have always had this dumb notion that people don’t want to see them busting ghosts anymore. Yes we do! Murray looked awesome at the Scream Awards all decked out in gear back in the day.

I’ve said this before but if Sony would’ve hit that sweet spot, circa 2009-2012, had all the original cast back & a decent enough movie? Huge hit. Huge. Jesus, a lot of people hated the 4th Indiana Jones film and it still did major business. Now based on what I’ve heard of Ghostbusters Alive Again, I’m happy they never made it. Venkman as a ghost was a stupid, dumb, shark jumping idea.

If they make a 4th film and focus on these new characters, which I liked, I think it’ll be the same thing. Give people the original GB’s in substantial roles. That’s how you pass a torch.

Is the film doing well despite the pandemic? Yes. But I think more could’ve been done.

I’m amazed at how many people are excited for the new Spider-Man movie. Do you know why they are excited? It’s not because it’s just any old Spider-Man film. No. Actors they know and are familiar with are coming back for one last ride. Tobey and Andrew will appear with Tom Holland(and Andrews’s Spider-Man franchise isn’t even well regarded! Yet people still want to see it!)

As much as I enjoyed the new movie it kept annoying me how Jason kept on giving the same old “this is for the fans” speech. You know what most the fans wanted? The original actors having more than 5 minute cameos. I want to see what they are up to, outside of ghost busting. And I don’t buy for a second that you couldn’t fit that into this movie. Infact I think it would’ve vastly improved this movie because the way the guys fit in now feels shoe horned and unearned. I want to see Ray getting the band back together. Seeing Winston’s best moment relegated to an after credits stinger was not a good choice.

The movie frustrates me because there is a potential GREAT movie in there. They had the tools and the talent. I mean how do you not end this movie with the Ecto 1 all cleaned up and sparkling, busting out of the firehouse at night, turning that corner in an homage to the first movies first bust? You have Ray, Peter and Winston just sitting around. The alarm goes off. Ray:”It’s a call!” They look at each other with knowing glances. Cut to the fire house doors opening and the Ecto 1, new white paint job, blaring the siren and lights, speeding out into the night to new adventures…fade out. “For Harold”…

Now that’s an ending. People leave the theatre energized and happy.
I think there's a very important caveat to be made here. Most people think Ghostbusters is Bill Murray. A casual audience just wants Bill Murray. Bill Murray is very, very, very clearly not interested. It's a miracle we got what we did.

Joe Public is not going to be psyched about Dan and Ernie for two hours any more then they would be psyched about just C3PO and R2D2 for two hours. As much as we love all of that original cast, they're all bit parts next to Bill in the public conscience.

I genuinely believe more contemporary cinema goers (outside of the hardcore fanbase) turned out for Paul Rudd and Finn Wolfhard than any of the original cast. They were the right choice to lean on in the marketing to appeal to a young audience in 2021.
Last edited by robbritton on December 13th, 2021, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote:I honestly thought we'd get scenes in the second half of the movie with Dan, Bill and Ernie hanging around the farmhouse interacting with Paul, Carrie and the kids. Following Phoebe's phonecall. To me that's the way their implementation should've worked, to organically reintroduce them and explain the 30 year absence, but I'm guessing they just weren't available. (Not even Dan or Ernie?)

I think both Egon and Ray would have gone to Summerville. I just don't buy Ray not believing Egon. You have Ray go back up to the city for some reason (to check on a malfunctioning ECU, perhaps). Egon is left alone in Summerville, when things go sideways and he has to try and trap the terror dogs by himself. Ray returns to the farm house and discovers Egon's body.

Everything else happens the same way, except when Phoebe calls Ray, the story of them being too good at their job is where the back story ends. He mentions that he and Egon went to Summerville to follow up on some research on Shandor. Ray can feel some guilt for not being there to help Egon. Phoebe tells Ray about how she caught a ghost. Now he's all worried that the kids will hurt themselves using this dangerous equipment.

Ray shows up at the farm house, and helps the kids finish what Egon had started. It doesn't go well. Then Winston and Venkman show up at the end. Gozer is caught. We still have the touching moment of Egon's ghost saying his final goodbyes to his friends and family. The Ecto is returned to the HQ.
Timo, Wafflerobot liked this

At some point, probably just better off opening up[…]

Spengler/84 wand Gun Track

So...I had more than a little problem with dis[…]

Preview for #2 on DH's page. https://www.darkhors[…]

PKE Meter build project!

DO you have this files on sale?