Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
Before I get started with what I want to say, first, I want to acknowledge the fact that Afterlife is an AWESOME movie! Currently, it is my favorite movie, and I can not wait for its release on blu ray so that I can complete my collection. If you haven't seen it, go out and support it already! I plan to go back just to experience it in the D-Box seats... and I have already seen it twice!

I am so thankful for Jason Reitman stepping up and taking the reins. He has done a beautiful job. I have also never seen a movie that made me want to cry but this one's ending tugged a bit. I don't understand the "critics" that are criticizing the film. They obviously don't understand the mythology of the franchise or the fact that Ivo Shandor's spirit was still lurking in another dimension as of the end of Ghostbusters: The Video Game.

SPOILER:
One of the end credit cutscenes shows Winston getting the firehouse back and the Ecto-1 pulls into the garage. From there, we see the red light blinking on the Ecto Containment Unit...

With that being said.. here is the meat and potatoes of what I wanted to talk about... If we get another Ghostbusters movie after this which sees us back at the firehouse:

1) Do you think that Winston and Janine will be head of operations while Winston helps Phoebe, Trevor, and their mom out of financial debt while moving them to New York City along with Mr. Grooberson, who is obviously dating Callie, which would also mean that part of Egon remains in the firehouse and Paul Rudd becomes a Ghostbuster, but that could also mean no more Podcast and Lucky. What are your thoughts?

2) Do you feel like Afterlife was just a one-off deal to finishing the story and lead us into the next adventure, with a new team being trained by the originals and the franchise starting (giving us the Ghostbusters universe?)

3) The most important question that I have... What is causing the power grid to fail on the ecto-containment unit in the final cutscene? Do you think the next chapter should be someone from Tobin's Spirit Guide or do you think it should be a new entry into Tobin's Spirit Guide? I feel there are so many different myths, beliefs, urban legends, etc. that can be explored... Perhaps what is causing the red light to blink turns out to be a cursed object that is touring the New York Museum and the ghost attached to that object needs all of the supernatural energy that it can get, so it tries to breach the containment unit?

Let's have fun and throw around some ideas. Also, how much did you enjoy Afterlife?
Last edited by GBDRE760 on November 22nd, 2021, 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just got back from the movie, and I agree with pretty much everything you said. Great post! There's another post about the timeline and incorporating the video game that works for me, which is important. I like the idea that we barely scratched the surface of Egon's interior life, and I think that his granddaughter was the best part of the movie for me.

And yeah, I COMPLETELY BELIEVE that the Ghostbusters could've destroyed a 40-foot marshmallow man and driven the statue of liberty downtown, and turned Central park back from a graveyard, and that kids today wouldn't believe it happened. Look at Orson Welles' War of the Worlds radio drama, which convinced people an actual alien attack was happening, right up until it was revealed that it was a commercial for his show. And with the ever-more-specific silos everyone consumes media in today, we've got two halves of the country thinking every president is either the second coming of Christ or the Antichrist personified. Disbelief is rampant!

The uniqueness of belief is a central tenet of the franchise. So the Ghostbusters are always having to claw themselves back from the brink of obscurity because people who genuinely believe in them are drowned out by the masses. As much as the franchise is inherently tied to New York, I'd love to see other cities/states/countries get the spotlight. They have to build themselves up in a grassroots movement. Fear is what divides people, but maybe the Ghostbusters can show people how to unite themselves against their own fears.

There's a lot to mine there.
GBDRE760 liked this
benvoliothefirst wrote: November 21st, 2021, 8:08 pm Just got back from the movie, and I agree with pretty much everything you said. Great post! There's another post about the timeline and incorporating the video game that works for me, which is important. I like the idea that we barely scratched the surface of Egon's interior life, and I think that his granddaughter was the best part of the movie for me.

And yeah, I COMPLETELY BELIEVE that the Ghostbusters could've destroyed a 40-foot marshmallow man and driven the statue of liberty downtown, and turned Central park back from a graveyard, and that kids today wouldn't believe it happened. Look at Orson Welles' War of the Worlds radio drama, which convinced people an actual alien attack was happening, right up until it was revealed that it was a commercial for his show. And with the ever-more-specific silos everyone consumes media in today, we've got two halves of the country thinking every president is either the second coming of Christ or the Antichrist personified. Disbelief is rampant!

The uniqueness of belief is a central tenet of the franchise. So the Ghostbusters are always having to claw themselves back from the brink of obscurity because people who genuinely believe in them are drowned out by the masses. As much as the franchise is inherently tied to New York, I'd love to see other cities/states/countries get the spotlight. They have to build themselves up in a grassroots movement. Fear is what divides people, but maybe the Ghostbusters can show people how to unite themselves against their own fears.

There's a lot to mine there.
That's good stuff right there! I don't believe how the idea of "belief" went over my head. The Ghostbusters were always fighting for someone to believe them while others, like Walter Peck or the mayor, always disbelieved in them and tried to get everybody else to think that they were phonies. It was as if they tried to cover up history and the years went by. That also shows another reason why Mr. Grooberson was the one that showed Pheobe who the Ghostbusters are. I think that things should become franchised if Jason wants to see all of those different Ghostbusters stories but I also feel that those stories, although producing new content, should also stick to the lore of the franchise, whether it is Tobin's Spirit Guide or a new entry for the Spirit Guide. It would also be interesting seeing communication between the franchise headquarters as well. The idea of toying with the obscurity and the idea of belief is something that would help drum up some very new lanes in familiar territory for the road ahead.
benvoliothefirst liked this
That's a great post to start with for sure.

1. I think Winston will likely be the finance backer initially. I do think Ray will get back involved and he and Venkman with Winston are likely to run the company or Ray and Peter are consultants. I'd like to see Grooberson suit up as we didn't get that and I had really hoped we would when I heard Ant-Man was cast. I think it's far more likely you'll see the Spenglers in a follow up film then lucky or Podcast however depends on the ages of the characters and the story. The comment that the Firehouse had been turned into a Starbucks was obviously incorrect, Maybe Winston bought the firehouse but never released that info so the general public thought it was going to be a Starbucks to keep people from breaking in and meddling with the ECU? We don't learn what Callie's job IS so she may be helping run the firehouse with Janine? I do want to see a more aged cast as teenagers with nuclear packs was not well taken a small town...can't see it going better in New York.

2. I think some characters will be moved out of the afterlife follow up film. Like I said the Spenglers and maybe Grooberson though maybe some new older GB's to balance it all out. New franchises being run with the left 3 guys overseeing the launch of the new business model with the kids serving as "interns" to keep packs in their hands at times. I'd much prefer a new series over another movie in who knows how many years. a new film in two years AND a new series would be fantastic.

3. I would say the grid is in standby. There's something in it and the light is a nod to the trap light. I think were likely to get some favs from TSG in the next installment but maybe like Viggo a totally new character or villain so the story isn't tied to a specific cannon past history though they could always wipe that away as was done with Ivo Shandor if you don't feel the game ties well enough into the Afterlife film. I thought afterlife was entertaining with a lot of heart. Are there holes in it? Oh sure but I don't hate them enough to dislike the film over it.
Last edited by RealGhostbusterJay on November 23rd, 2021, 11:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
benvoliothefirst liked this
Afterlife Sequel idea:

Afterlife has re-established the universe to a new audience so I want a direct sequel. But I want a direct sequel which moves forward, no more callbacks.

1. I would trim the cast and transport Phoebe, Podcast, Lucky & Trevor to NYC.

The Spengler's now have money and no need to stay in Summerville. I would write out Callie and Gary because they served their purpose in Afterlife and don't have much more to do. Have them go off on honeymoon or something. Depending on the amount of time passing, start the movie with Lucky studying in NYC and either have Trevor follow in tow, or start the movie with one of them dating other people with a will-they-won't-they sub plot and build on what was established but not developed in Afterlife. I don't know how it works with their ages but I'd have Phoebe being given a scholarship by ZeddeCorp and also studying in NYC - her arc could be about self-confidence - she feels like she is out of her depth or failing compared to peers or older scientists and loses confidence, plus misses her mum. This is to ground her character a little and make her seem less like a genius as I have read some criticism her character is a bit of a Mary Sue. Podcast could be visiting at the beginning of the movie.

2. A new supernatural villain and antagonist
A competitor Ghost Smashers style organisation (fronted by a comedy actor - eg. Ben Schwartz) who have a history with Winston, maybe initially research funded by him, and use the GB containment unit leak as proof the Ghostbusters were a menace and offering their services to "clean up" with it being discovered by Phoebe their tech is actually dangerous and/or they have malevolent intentions in letting another big bad cross over into our dimension (similar to the comics but you get the idea). Thematically, you could also tie the leader of the Ghost Smashers in with the idea of self-confidence and living up to your predecessors, cutting corners or "cheating" with the capture of ghosts. Although the bad guys are defeated at the end of the movie it is established ghosts are now passing into our dimension. This will lead Phoebe & co to assume the mantle of Ghostbusters and re-open the firehouse at the end of the movie.

3. Handling Callbacks in an Afterlife sequel:

Have Podcast visit Ray's Occult after their exchange in Afterlife.
Winston to have a supporting role.
Explain the Ecto 1A thing so people shut up about whether GBII is canon (I don't care).
Feature the painting of Vigo the Carpathian when Winston shows Phoebe around the firehouse and re-use the joke from the videogame. It's funny.
More Real Ghostbusters / Kenner ghosts like Bug Eye.
Slimer... coming on to that.
It would be cool to feature Kylie Griffin as another student who maybe starts out as an antagonist or suggests to Phoebe that she cheats in some way but does a heel turn towards the end and becomes another ghostbuster or crush for Podcast (Please rename Podcast in the next movie) though risks repeating the Trevor - Lucky dynamic.

4.. Containment meltdown
Due to the age of the equipment the containment unit starts leaking ghosts. Winston recruits Phoebe's help in fixing the problem. This is an opportunity to organically incorporate Slimer into the story or a similar ghost. However, by the end of the film it would be cool for Phoebe to have a "pet" ghost like Slimer to study on. Paying homage to one of the better changes made by Real Ghostbusters.

5.New mascot characters
No Stay Puft or Muncher, possibly Slimer, but come up with some fresh ideas for ghosts and a fresh antagonist to fill the Gozer / Vigo role.

6. Flesh out the cast with more comedic talent.

7. Tonally, I want it to be lighter and denser than Afterlife. Higher budget so more ghosts and several busting sequences. We're done with the OG's let's do something new.

8. Ghostbusters ... Green Slime.
Ghostbusters II ... Pink Slime
Ghostbusters TVG ... Black slime
Ghostbusters AL ... Blue Slime

So I guess for the next film we need a yellow / orange or purple ghost for the promo / slime. :)
I'm not sure is this is relevant here, but I remember Erik Burnham of IDW saying it was best not to suggest story ideas for upcoming projects, because that meant he absolutely couldn't use them! Don't know if that is across the board for Ghost Corps projects, but perhaps worth noting.

That said, I would only keep Phoebe and Podcast moving forwards from the Afterlife cast. I'm not sure Trevor or Lucky have anywhere else to go as characters, or indeed any real reason to continue to be there. Keep the two who feel like Ghostbusters, and then let's have something all new!
robbritton wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 5:32 am I'm not sure is this is relevant here, but I remember Erik Burnham of IDW saying it was best not to suggest story ideas for upcoming projects, because that meant he absolutely couldn't use them! Don't know if that is across the board for Ghost Corps projects, but perhaps worth noting.

That said, I would only keep Phoebe and Podcast moving forwards from the Afterlife cast. I'm not sure Trevor or Lucky have anywhere else to go as characters, or indeed any real reason to continue to be there. Keep the two who feel like Ghostbusters, and then let's have something all new!
Phobe, Podcast, Grooberson and Winston kids?
robbritton wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 5:32 am I'm not sure is this is relevant here, but I remember Erik Burnham of IDW saying it was best not to suggest story ideas for upcoming projects, because that meant he absolutely couldn't use them! Don't know if that is across the board for Ghost Corps projects, but perhaps worth noting.

Yeah I could see the argument for cutting Trevor and Lucky... but I think Celeste O'Connor did a really good job with what she was given.

And yeah, writers ask people not to submit story ideas as it means they can never used them. I think my post is safe because the ideas were mostly "borrow x,y,z from the comics, show, game" so nothing original there, all based on what is in the movies - kinda like folks speculating what will happen on the next episode of a tv show - highly unlikely the eventual sequel will resemble fanbase suggestions anyway.
robbritton liked this
I agree, you absolutely have to keep Phoebe and podcast, Trevor and lucky could be written out but I honestly don’t see it happening.( I have a feeling Lucky is gonna have some PTSD from becoming Zuul for a few minutes!). I agree that I think Callie may have served her purpose, I think we’re far from finished with Grooberson.

I also have a feeling that there is WAY more to Ray’s story, considering he wasn’t featured in the after credit scene with Winston. I can see lots of regret and soul searching in Rays future.

I also feel like there’s something we’re not being told about the after effects of the events of Gb 2 on Ray’s psyche.

Also, what about a potential animated series centered around either 1- Egon’s journey to and in Summerville. 2- the kids on more busting adventures in Summerville. 3- Egon’s ghost in the afterlife 4- the OG’s from 1992- present day(?)
I don't want to get another fan-service heavy sequel but based on the current dialogue between fans and Jason we're going to get a 2hr movie about why Egon replaced the GBII logo on the car.

Ray could come back to fill in some of the backstory and exposition, but I don't particularly want to see him moping around over the events of Afterlife... the place to flesh out his story, was Afterlife.

I'm wondering: will the fanbase ever let go of the original four? Does every single prop and character from the first two movies need to be referenced and over-analyzed in each new movie? Some of the reviews were like 'Perfect except where was Louis Tully?" Well... not in this movie, because his character doesn't belong in this story. The lack of an element you recognize isn't an oversight or flaw.
robbritton, SpaceBallz liked this
Scum wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 7:44 am I agree, you absolutely have to keep Phoebe and podcast, Trevor and lucky could be written out but I honestly don’t see it happening.( I have a feeling Lucky is gonna have some PTSD from becoming Zuul for a few minutes!). I agree that I think Callie may have served her purpose, I think we’re far from finished with Grooberson.

I also have a feeling that there is WAY more to Ray’s story, considering he wasn’t featured in the after credit scene with Winston. I can see lots of regret and soul searching in Rays future.

I also feel like there’s something we’re not being told about the after effects of the events of Gb 2 on Ray’s psyche.

Also, what about a potential animated series centered around either 1- Egon’s journey to and in Summerville. 2- the kids on more busting adventures in Summerville. 3- Egon’s ghost in the afterlife 4- the OG’s from 1992- present day(?)
I hate to shoot down those ideas but I would shot them down except for the idea of more adventures with the kids in Summerville (keeping in mind that the idea to start a franchise was mentioned in the first movie as well as the video game and I think that is what is about to happen), I think Grooberson will be the adult in the series while Winston and the others are in charge of the main headquarters in NYC. I can see the story continuing with new villains and occasionally, Phoebe will introduce a new piece of equipment. Part of the reason I don't see Trevor being out of things is that he is Phoebe's brother and their mom is obviously dating Mr. Grooberson.
While I certainly want Stantz and Zeddemore sticking around (which only makes sense since the new folks aren't yet scientists or fully qualified--there needs to be a transitional period), I agree with Chicken about the fanbase being too pedantic about the old--especially about Egon. GB3 was all about Egon, and outside of some minor mentions where it makes sense, but no more specific focus about him going forward. The franchise needs to move on, do new things, especially since GB3 was so much a repeat of the first. The franchise needs to evolve.

Personally, I don't want them operating out of NYC again. Maintaining that as one of several bases for an ECU makes sense, but otherwise I think the series should have become one of constant new settings as Grooberson, the kids and maybe Ray travel the country dealing with different threats.
DocLathropBrown wrote:While I certainly want Stantz and Zeddemore sticking around (which only makes sense since the new folks aren't yet scientists or fully qualified--there needs to be a transitional period), I agree with Chicken about the fanbase being too pedantic about the old--especially about Egon. GB3 was all about Egon, and outside of some minor mentions where it makes sense, but no more specific focus about him going forward. The franchise needs to move on, do new things, especially since GB3 was so much a repeat of the first. The franchise needs to evolve.

Personally, I don't want them operating out of NYC again. Maintaining that as one of several bases for an ECU makes sense, but otherwise I think the series should have become one of constant new settings as Grooberson, the kids and maybe Ray travel the country dealing with different threats.
I agree, and I think that is why another project would work better as a TV series than another film. You kick the series off with Winston bankrolling Ghostbusters, Inc. and Ray training new recruits. Winston mentioned that he has kids, so perhaps one of them could be a Ghostbuster? Oscar Barrett is another character that could come on board. After a couple of episodes of training/setting up shop, there is a threat that emerges elsewhere - it could even be in some remote town in Europe. Winston flies the new team over there and they investigate/eliminate.
DocLathropBrown wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 9:50 am While I certainly want Stantz and Zeddemore sticking around (which only makes sense since the new folks aren't yet scientists or fully qualified--there needs to be a transitional period), I agree with Chicken about the fanbase being too pedantic about the old--especially about Egon. GB3 was all about Egon, and outside of some minor mentions where it makes sense, but no more specific focus about him going forward. The franchise needs to move on, do new things, especially since GB3 was so much a repeat of the first. The franchise needs to evolve.

I feel like you are right about the firehouse being a base for an ECU and yeah, I don't think everything needs to be about the OG's anymore. We have Egon's family now and I think that transitional period is what is being set up. I will say that Ghostbusters Afterlife did give me the closure that I wanted and felt was needed for the character of Egon, and despite all of the callbacks and easter eggs, it was still the story that we true fans really needed before we can move forward with any kind of universe. The slate is clean and it is time to move forward. Afterlife is still a story that I will hold in my heart because of that.
I'd like to see Callie and Gary in the film, even if it's for a scene or two. Winston could be there to fund the new team (consisting of the four kids from Afterlife and MAYBE one of Winston's). Winston could also provide some training with the equipment with Ray filling them in on classes and the more minute details regarding the gear. Mention Venkman handling the advertising and brand for the company. We don't really need any more call backs as the world has been re-established.

Aside from that, I don't know what to have them to do. Not EVERYTHING needs to be an apocalyptic event and most of the ideas I have bouncing in my head would work way better as a series than a movie.
*NormalGamer* liked this
After doing some thinking... I think that what this franchise needs is a new cartoon series. Even though there was talk of an RGB reboot, I kinda think that in the long run, it would make sense to do a series with the characters that we have now. Afterlife to me helped give closure, finish a story, pay tribute to Harold, and give my heart a little bit of peace. OUR story is over now and we got a chance to say our goodbyes. Now we have to be brave enough to walk through the next door and gear up while remembering where all of this came from. I feel like the next one is for the next generation, and as long as they make it feel like Ghostbusters, I will be there to support them.
I'm all for new teams (again I would prefer adult teams with he kids growing into the business) but I wouldn't say our stories are over. What our stories need to do is get the next GB's in place for their own stories. Not just get two grandkids and their friends to stop Gozer from coming into a small town once.

Ray and Winston I would say are needed currently ro hand that off rather then a pop in and say a few jokes and leave. I wanted a last ride of the OG's to be honest but I am ok with what I got but I don't Jason is done with Ray and Winston yet. He could have given them all happy lives and moved them on but he lets Winston come back as the head guy, Ray will come get the business rolling again but he and Winston will be more like Egon was in EGB. Either another film with them in that role or a series for a season and then sure they can retire now that franchises are up and going and Peter, Ray and Winston can enjoy life wealthy and cared about while new teams give us new dimensions we haven't seen before. Jason said he wanted to see all kinds of new GB stories and I honestly think Winston getting the firehouse is the start of our "franchise rights" tales. Most of our GB clubs ARE franchises, our own patches, different custom versions of packs or ecto's but all the same bloodline if you will. I just want to see that in a new series or few films.
I would like to see them move away from the original recipe into wackier fantastical stuff. Keep the grounded news of the makeshift equipment and all that but h make it closer to RGB.

The MCU started with a grounded approach in Iron Man with its technological “plausible” science. Then they went to space with Thor then it got crazier and crazier with a talking raccoon and alternate universes. I could totally see the Ghostbusters go this route to keep it fresh. We already had 4 Ghostbusters that were essentially the same thing. Time for something really fresh.
jonogunn wrote:I would like to see them move away from the original recipe into wackier fantastical stuff. Keep the grounded news of the makeshift equipment and all that but h make it closer to RGB.

The MCU started with a grounded approach in Iron Man with its technological “plausible” science. Then they went to space with Thor then it got crazier and crazier with a talking raccoon and alternate universes. I could totally see the Ghostbusters go this route to keep it fresh. We already had 4 Ghostbusters that were essentially the same thing. Time for something really fresh.
I remember around the time ATC came out Dan talking about an MCU approach to Ghostbusters and at the time it sounded completely absurd. But I completely get it and agree now.

The really exciting part is that the movies have only touched on Vigo and Gozer. Pulling from the cartoons comics and real folklore, the possibilities are endless.
GBDRE760 liked this
jonogunn wrote: November 26th, 2021, 5:41 am I would like to see them move away from the original recipe into wackier fantastical stuff. Keep the grounded news of the makeshift equipment and all that but h make it closer to RGB.

Iron Man 3 with rockets on every part of the suit and he hops in and out like a car is actually where I went "ok so were just done with any type of realism now"
I would live to see Winston be the financial backer as well as Consultant. Ray would also be a consultant but operates out of rays occult with Kyle Griffin as his apprentice.
As for the main story I'd like phoebe and podcast to be the lead but they start by being terrorised at night by the rgb boogeyman.
Phoebe then races to fix the containment unit while also trying to design a proton pack extension that will work against the boogeyman think back to the boogeyman is back episode. Personally the boogeyman and Sam hain were masterpiece adverserys and with today's effects they could pull it off.
Just one my opinion :boogieman:
mrmichaelt liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 7:54 am I don't want to get another fan-service heavy sequel but based on the current dialogue between fans and Jason we're going to get a 2hr movie about why Egon replaced the GBII logo on the car.

Ray could come back to fill in some of the backstory and exposition, but I don't particularly want to see him moping around over the events of Afterlife... the place to flesh out his story, was Afterlife.

I'm wondering: will the fanbase ever let go of the original four? Does every single prop and character from the first two movies need to be referenced and over-analyzed in each new movie? Some of the reviews were like 'Perfect except where was Louis Tully?" Well... not in this movie, because his character doesn't belong in this story. The lack of an element you recognize isn't an oversight or flaw.
Dude some people were asking "Where was slimer?!" I said "...probably in New York City and not Oklahoma?" :lol: I'm ready for a stand-alone story that's not apocalyptic, completely different tone. I'm thinking straight-up horror (as scary as you can get it for a PG-13) with an occasional comic relief line to relieve tension. I'd suggest bringing the Boogeyman into the equation but that is fan-servicey too.
mrmichaelt liked this
SpaceBallz wrote: November 28th, 2021, 1:12 pm
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 7:54 am I don't want to get another fan-service heavy sequel but based on the current dialogue between fans and Jason we're going to get a 2hr movie about why Egon replaced the GBII logo on the car.

Dude some people were asking "Where was slimer?!" I said "...probably in New York City and not Oklahoma?" :lol: I'm ready for a stand-alone story that's not apocalyptic, completely different tone. I'm thinking straight-up horror (as scary as you can get it for a PG-13) with an occasional comic relief line to relieve tension. I'd suggest bringing the Boogeyman into the equation but that is fan-servicey too.
I think they should look to popular ghost horror movies for ideas for a new villain.

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]