Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
As the comment regarding the Phoebe jokes shows, cutting an hour of footage doesn't mean it's a coherent movie. I'd say there's possibly 20-30 minutes of stuff for a bigger, extended movie. Not just alternate takes, different shots and lines, but real scenes that show something new.
deadderek liked this
Ya there’s definitely more they could have left in. At least some scenes with the OGB so they don’t feel so out-of-nowhere. Something that shows they’re on the way or how they arrive. I’m sure they’ll release more significant deleted stuff later on though.

I think they held off for now because they wanted the movie to be taken on it’s own merits. They way they/Jason saw fit. Releasing a bunch of deleted scenes a few months later probably would have undermined that a little bit because everyone was ready to “fill it in”.
deadderek, seekandannoy liked this
I'm not on my desktop computer right now to look at my images from the movie, but I'm 99% sure that this close-up of the map from Trailer #1 was not in the film:
https://www.theraffon.net/spookcentral/ ... t06_lg.jpg

When Gary and Phoebe are in that back room of the classroom looking at the map, I do not recall them ever showing it in close up like that. Am I misremembering?
mrmichaelt, deadderek liked this
spookcentral wrote: March 4th, 2022, 11:58 pm I'm not on my desktop computer right now to look at my images from the movie, but I'm 99% sure that this close-up of the map from Trailer #1 was not in the film:
https://www.theraffon.net/spookcentral/ ... t06_lg.jpg

When Gary and Phoebe are in that back room of the classroom looking at the map, I do not recall them ever showing it in close up like that. Am I misremembering?
It is not in the movie. Hmm, likely in the Gary and Phoebe scene after her apocalypse line but perhaps a slight chance it's a 2 second scene before the 4 kids meet in Spinners i.e. a quick shot of Phoebe's POV grabbing the map then as you see in the movie that map is unrolled on the table followed the concentric circles bit.
So that 50/60's version of the Ghostbusters theme showed up online?

https://ghostbustersnews.com/2022/04/11 ... d-to-hear/

Recording credit is from 2021... so I don't know if these matches up with previous reports.

Would kinda make sense if this was on a jukebox in Spinners (edit lol) and as Trevor was in the scene playing it that would make sense.
Alphagaia liked this
By Bison256
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: April 11th, 2022, 9:44 am So that 50/60's version of the Ghostbusters theme showed up online?

Recording credit is from 2021... so I don't know if these matches up with previous reports.

Would kinda make sense if this was on a jukebox in Spinners (edit lol) and as Trevor was in the scene playing it that would make sense.
Too close, I understand why it was cut. But hey it's better than the fallout boy cover.
By deadderek
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: April 11th, 2022, 9:44 am So that 50/60's version of the Ghostbusters theme showed up online?

I'm pretty sure that's not the version cut from Afterlife.
https://www.facebook.com/TheIrishGhostb ... 660038994/

The scene around the model of the Farmhouse was filmed during reshoots but Logan Kim's voice had gotten deeper so several of his lines in that scene were deleted.
7:54-8:19 (note FB's timestamps are a countdown and I went with a normal count)
"You'll notice that we did reshoots so there's one scene where we're standing around a table and doing a plan where there's a model of the house and stuff. My voice was deeper, I don't know if you can kind of notice it. But they took out a lot of lines for that because my voice just got so deep. They tried their best to make it sound the same but it wasn't really there."

Logan Kim filmed the scene where he has to scream and taser Mini-Pufts in Ecto-1 for 45 minutes. So probably a whole bunch of alternate takes.
11:50-11:58
"What they did was open up the back, put the camera in and had these people waiting to throw this marshmallow goop at my face."
12:10-12:13
"I was going "Ah!" for 45 minutes."
deadderek liked this
So Michigan Ghostbusters posted a digital rip of the Janine deleted scene and I messed around splicing it with the theatrical scene and then cutting and moving bits around so it flows in a way I personally really like.

It's a little rough because editing from finished clips is not ideal, but I would really like to show everybody... but when I tried Youtube it immediately received a copyright strike. So... any ideas on how I could share this with the community? Surely it would fall under fair use / transformative as it's only a short scene. I mean... if Michigan Ghostbusters can upload the entire scene...

Any help much appreciated. :)
Last edited by Chicken, He Clucked on August 15th, 2022, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonogunn, deadderek liked this
Let me know what you think!

https://vimeo.com/739767582

00:30 Removed Callie reference to not knowing her dad - repetitive.
00:50 Cut the first scene after the "quite a lot of debt" line as "sentimental value" is the same joke.
00:51 Tried to craft humor in the edit using Callie's reaction shot as a punchline.
00:52 Cut to the deleted scene footage. I think this works pretty seamlessly, implies a time skip and some small talk having taken place between Callie & Janine.
01:01 Cut short Janine reminiscing over the coin as it's slow and has no context at this point in the movie. Not perfect but spliced in a shot of Phoebe and Trevor watching her take the coin like they're suspicious and don't trust this person.
01:14 Removed Janine and Callie's exchange about burning the place down because it doesn't add anything and makes Callie seem whiny. This is a jarring cut but the scene flows better as a result.
01:25 Cut Callie's dialogue because she was saying too much and "Hello Dad" leads into the awkward exchange with Phoebe which I have excised completely. A shame as Janine's dialogue about fairies is nice bit of character detail, but there's no way for it to make sense without including Phoebe's barbed comments, which don't serve her character.
01:38 I really wanted to cut the dialogue around "I never met the man" but with this footage it's just better leaving as is.
01:42 Added reaction shot from Callie digesting the "Is it ever too late?" line from Janine as foreshadowing and to suggest vulnerability.
01:44 if more Callie reaction footage was available I'd end the scene on Callie and jump straight into "Baby It's You" and the next sequence.

(original scene: https://twitter.com/MI_Ghostbusters/sta ... BoEpYtxVxA)
Last edited by Chicken, He Clucked on August 16th, 2022, 1:56 am, edited 9 times in total.
Alphagaia, SpaceBallz liked this
By SpaceBallz
I wonder why they deleted a majority of Janine's scenes, that particular scene had some good stuff.
By deadderek
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: August 15th, 2022, 2:39 pm I mean... if Michigan Ghostbusters can upload the entire scene...
Yeah sometimes when we post stuff it gets flagged and then we contact our friends at Sony to release the claim:

By Alphagaia
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: August 16th, 2022, 8:21 am
deadderek wrote:
Yeah sometimes when we post stuff it gets flagged and then we contact our friends at Sony to release the claim:
This is very cool. :cool:
Just realize by friends he means the person from Sony Corps who is charged with interacting with the fandom on social media. ;-)
By BatDan
Might have missed the info on this but is there any news on the Sentinel Terror Dog?

Was that meant to be a sequence before chasing Gozer back to the farm?

Or did we collect pieces to a toy Ghost that wasnt even meant to be in the movie and the toy makers were just confused?
By mrmichaelt
BatDan wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 6:17 am Might have missed the info on this but is there any news on the Sentinel Terror Dog?

Or did we collect pieces to a toy Ghost that wasnt even meant to be in the movie and the toy makers were just confused?
All we really know is early in development the Sentinel Terror Dog started out as a new character. Francois Audouy asked Brynn Metheney to design a "Terror Dog Minotaur." She suggested the name "Sentinel" based on Dungeons and Dragons. It was then supposed to be a guardian and an "in-between" creature. Then for undisclosed reasons, they changed it so that it was no longer a new character but just a secondary form the Terror Dog shapeshifts into.

No, I don't think they revealed what scene the original Sentinel Terror Dog was going to be in.

Essentially, yes, and it was too late into toy production probably for Hasbro to change but it still works as it's still the Sentinel forms of Zuul and Vinz if you bought the figures and the Egon and Phoebe 2 pack.

Chicken, He Clucked wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 6:51 am It appears briefly at the beginning of the movie but was going to have more prominence. I think that’s all we know.
Kingpin wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 3:03 pm And when Gary opens the Trap with Phoebe and Podcast.
Yes, but in the movie itself, it's now been relegated to "Sentinel" being the term for the ethereal form of the Terror Dogs. So yes, in the beginning, we see Zuul's Sentinel form and when Gary opens the Trap, we see Vinz's Sentinel form. And a blink or miss exposition is when Podcast reads Tobin's Spirit Guide on Phoebe's bed and there's a caption on the left page, something like "Zuul in Sentinel Form."
Kingpin liked this
By deadderek
Alphagaia wrote: August 17th, 2022, 5:42 am
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: August 16th, 2022, 8:21 am

This is very cool. :cool:
Just realize by friends he means the person from Sony Corps who is charged with interacting with the fandom on social media. ;-)
Nope. Not Eric.

There's several people at Sony my team talks to depending on what we need. Posters & merch, copyright claims, and "is it ok if we post this" are 3 separate people.

EDIT: To be more on topic, unless I missed it there's one to add to the list.

Presumably after Grooberson says "...they made a movie about it in the 90's." is Podcast saying "I need to see this movie."

I don't have access to the original promo atm(I'm at work) but here's a cut of it my group did combining the b roll footage with the footage of Podcast.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1562769502106177537
By Alphagaia
deadderek wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 8:29 pm
Alphagaia wrote: August 17th, 2022, 5:42 am

Nope. Not Eric.

There's several people at Sony my team talks to depending on what we need. Posters & merch, copyright claims, and "is it ok if we post this" are 3 separate people.
I noticed you dropped the friends tag ;-)
By deadderek
Alphagaia wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 10:12 pm
deadderek wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 8:29 pm

Nope. Not Eric.

I noticed you dropped the friends tag ;-)
????
By Ecto24601
mrmichaelt wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 5:48 pm
BatDan wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 6:17 am Might have missed the info on this but is there any news on the Sentinel Terror Dog?

All we really know is early in development the Sentinel Terror Dog started out as a new character. Francois Audouy asked Brynn Metheney to design a "Terror Dog Minotaur." She suggested the name "Sentinel" based on Dungeons and Dragons. It was then supposed to be a guardian and an "in-between" creature. Then for undisclosed reasons, they changed it so that it was no longer a new character but just a secondary form the Terror Dog shapeshifts into.

No, I don't think they revealed what scene the original Sentinel Terror Dog was going to be in.

Essentially, yes, and it was too late into toy production probably for Hasbro to change but it still works as it's still the Sentinel forms of Zuul and Vinz if you bought the figures and the Egon and Phoebe 2 pack.

Chicken, He Clucked wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 6:51 am It appears briefly at the beginning of the movie but was going to have more prominence. I think that’s all we know.
Kingpin wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 3:03 pm And when Gary opens the Trap with Phoebe and Podcast.
Yes, but in the movie itself, it's now been relegated to "Sentinel" being the term for the ethereal form of the Terror Dogs. So yes, in the beginning, we see Zuul's Sentinel form and when Gary opens the Trap, we see Vinz's Sentinel form. And a blink or miss exposition is when Podcast reads Tobin's Spirit Guide on Phoebe's bed and there's a caption on the left page, something like "Zuul in Sentinel Form."
In my Afterlife Plasma series display case (and therefore my head canon) it's the form Gozer gifted to Ivo Shandor for resurrecting her/it instead of ripping him apart.
By mrmichaelt
deadderek wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 8:29 pm Presumably after Grooberson says "...they made a movie about it in the 90's." is Podcast saying "I need to see this movie."
Ok, that one was on the GB Facebook, posted January 14, 2022, at about 10 second mark.
https://www.facebook.com/Ghostbusters/v ... 588925977/

And I forget if this one came up, but also on the GB Facebook, at about 12 second mark, posted March 5, in Ch. 9 after Muncher bolts from the foundry, there's another alt/deleted line when Podcast says, "I had fun, we had fun." EDIT: Yeah, it was in a 1/4 YT promo, too.
https://www.facebook.com/Ghostbusters/v ... 430322766/
deadderek liked this
By deadderek
Clear some space on the Afterlife GB Wiki deleted scenes space. On Halloween as a treat the Michigan Ghostbusters will be dropping a look at a deleted scene from Afterlife never seen before.
zeta otaku, Davideverona, Kingpin and 3 others liked this
Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]