Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Kingpin
deadderek wrote: November 30th, 2021, 4:56 am Hopefully we get a TON of deleted scenes, hopefully with that included as well.
Same. There's oodles of content that this film generated that would be perfect for special features. I just hope the DVD crowd gets a fair taste of all that... Though I am prepared to buy the BluRay, seeing as I got the 35th anniversary special edition.
By Ecto24601
mrmichaelt wrote: November 29th, 2021, 9:21 pm
EDIT: In the Crossrip interview, at the 40:17 mark, Arjen Tuiten confirms there was more filmed that what appeared in the movie of Zuul's arms grabbing Egon. He notes it was "quite violent".
http://www.ghostbustershq.net/the-ghost ... er-29-2021
In the same interview it's also revealed Gozer's eyes were red originally but changed to black in post-production.
By spookcentral
mrmichaelt wrote: November 29th, 2021, 9:21 pm
spookcentral wrote: November 29th, 2021, 8:18 pm There are two smaller things I noticed between trailers that were not mentioned in the OP's list and Popular Tripe's video:

1. As Ecto-1 rounds the corner in front of the Summerville Post Office, the first trailer did not have the RTV in the shot. It was added in the second trailer and the final film. You can see a frame-exact comparison in my Trailer #2 review on Spook Central
I chalked it up to them trying to prevent the RTV from being spoiled too early on into promotion rather than a deleted scene. It's not an uncommon practice with theaters. Even though, there's a lot of analysis going on with the new Spider-Man trailer scrubbing out characters near the end of it.
Yeah, that's my thinking, too. Maybe make a section in the original post for things like that. Even though they're not true alternates, I think it's worth noting anyway.

Alex Newborn wrote: November 30th, 2021, 7:28 am Paul (spookcentral)'s post reminds me...

I don't have a frame from the actual movie to compare, but one thing I noticed that was different from the trailer to the film was they 'erased' the PKE Meter from the shot where Phoebe is lifting up the first floor tile.

This is the trailer frame, no PKE.

But in the film the PKE Meter is on the floor to Phoebe's right. Even when she lifts up the tile in the film, parts of it are still visible.

Alex
I had not noticed that. Good catch, Alex. Just for reference, I found that shot in the crappy bootleg (at the 31:05 mark) and matched it to the shot in Trailer #2. Although the bootleg is extremely poor quality, so it was hard to ensure an exact frame match, I used the position of her hair against the radiator in the background and her back against the books to line it all up. I also cropped the top and bottom of the trailer image to better match the bootleg, which has some of the movie image cropped at the top and bottom.

Kingpin, Alex Newborn liked this
By spookcentral
Another thing to add to the "altered to avoid spoilers" section, if it's not already there: There was no Muncher on the fire hydrant in the first trailer, and then in the later trailers, there he was.

This one needs to be researched a little more because there's a lot of footage of videos playing on laptops in the movie. In the first trailer, we see the thumbnails on the right side of other videos, although they are blurred because they didn't pay to use them outside of the movie. The thumbnails are, from top to bottom: (1) GB1 matte painting shot of the Shandor Building with an arrow pointing to the people in the lower right side, (2) Casual shot of Bill and Dan outside the firehouse, (3) Ray Parker Jr. music video. I don't think the Ray Parker Jr. thumbnail was actually in any of the laptop shots of the movie.

Alex Newborn liked this
By groschopf
Ecto24601 wrote: December 1st, 2021, 1:40 pmImage

OMG! I'd love to see that scene!!

And that easter egg...sneaky sneaky!!

Source: https://ghostbustersnews.com/2021/12/01 ... aster-egg/
I suspected as much. It's a shame, because including tat scene would have made the popcorn bowl gag land. But it must have slowed the pace of the film down too much. It would have also needed a "hey, where do these stairs go" moment for Phoebe to leave the lab and emerge in the corn.
Ecto24601 wrote: December 1st, 2021, 1:40 pmImage

OMG! I'd love to see that scene!!

And that easter egg...sneaky sneaky!!

Source: https://ghostbustersnews.com/2021/12/01 ... aster-egg/
Venkman's cards!!!! :-D I just remembered another easter egg from a different deleted scene, on Adam Savage's tour video you could see the big glass full of popcorn kernels that Louis smelled in the first movie, it was next to an old Cheez-Its box. That's probably where Phoebe got the popcorn from.
By Ecto24601
jonogunn wrote: December 1st, 2021, 3:07 pm Given that the scene with podcast was the first time she fired it how would it make sense she had this popcorn scene as well?
Because the Podcast scene was the second time. Hence how she knew how to do it. She even says her grandpa showed her how yesterday.
mrmichaelt liked this
jonogunn wrote: December 1st, 2021, 3:07 pm Given that the scene with podcast was the first time she fired it how would it make sense she had this popcorn scene as well?
In that scene she already knew how to use it and said that Egon teached her, maybe that's what happened in this scene.
spookcentral wrote: December 1st, 2021, 12:22 am Another thing to add to the "altered to avoid spoilers" section, if it's not already there: There was no Muncher on the fire hydrant in the first trailer, and then in the later trailers, there he was.

This one needs to be researched a little more because there's a lot of footage of videos playing on laptops in the movie. In the first trailer, we see the thumbnails on the right side of other videos, although they are blurred because they didn't pay to use them outside of the movie. The thumbnails are, from top to bottom: (1) GB1 matte painting shot of the Shandor Building with an arrow pointing to the people in the lower right side, (2) Casual shot of Bill and Dan outside the firehouse, (3) Ray Parker Jr. music video. I don't think the Ray Parker Jr. thumbnail was actually in any of the laptop shots of the movie.

This may be a bit off-topic but I just noticed that the filter they used in the movie makes it look more like GB1, the first thing that comes to my mind whenever I think of GB1 and GB2 are the color schemes, the daylight scenes in GB1 look kinda yellow it kinda looks like when the day is cloudy and the clouds look shiny because of the sunlight but on GB2 it looks kinda looks red, it's not just because of the scenes with Mood Slime like the museum or the Pneumatic Transit System scenes, everything is just darker. I've seen it on other movies they just look darker and everything has a red tone. The Muncher scene from the trailer kinda looks a bit red like GB2 but on the actual movie it looks yellow like GB1.
By Alex Newborn
spookcentral wrote: November 30th, 2021, 9:26 pm
Alex Newborn wrote: November 30th, 2021, 7:28 am
... one thing I noticed that was different from the trailer to the film was they 'erased' the PKE Meter from the shot where Phoebe is lifting up the first floor tile.
I had not noticed that. Good catch, Alex.
Prior to the movie opening, I had been working on a best-guess linear version of the trailer clips. I had the trap and PKE discoveries in the wrong order because they'd erased that little detail. When I saw it in the theater for the first time, I thought, "Oh, very tricky."

So everytime anyone has complained that the trailers gave away too much, I've assured them that they actually employed a few methods to keep us guessing, such as alternate takes and spliced audio from different scenes.

And that reminds me of another thing I noticed back when editing those together.

There are two versions of the shot when Phoebe slides the last floor tile, to see the trap.

In trailer 1, she opens it left-handed. In trailer 2, she opens it right-handed.

This is an older video I made and sent to friends on Facebook at the time. I think the third trailer to depict this shot went back to the trailer 1 version.

Alex
spookcentral liked this
By Kingpin
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: November 28th, 2021, 5:26 am I hope we find out more about the slimed waitress sequence.
I kept an eye out during Callie and Gary's date scene and the small snippet of it during the Muncher chase, and I spotted someone stood seemingly shock-still just out of frame holding some plates that are just visible in-frame.

That seems to be where the slimed waitress would've shown up in the film, but was likely cut because it slowed down the chase sequence.
By GhostFaceX
An interesting thing movie companies should do in the future is put a lot of extraneous scenes in trailers and tv spots so those of who see them a few times already know the information going in, and while we won’t see them in the movie we will already have them in the back of our mind. Or even make a 20 minute special with background scenes. I like that stuff.
By Kingpin
It's a little frustrating when we see proper segments of scenes that're in the trailer but end up on the cutting room floor in the final theatrical cut... It shouldn't be necessary or common practice to use the trailer to plug whatever gaps might arise in the final edit of the film.

The point of the trailer is to tease people, and to raise their interest in the movie.

Save the unused scenes for the home release special features.
deadderek liked this
By Ecto24601
Could be way worse. Like knowing about 15-45 minutes of edited footage or 15+ cut scenes (not alternate takes) that were shown in trailers, photos, BTS videos and the shooting script but were never released on any kind of medium...in almost 10 years. That's frustrating.
deadderek liked this
By mrmichaelt
Alex Newborn wrote: December 3rd, 2021, 10:05 am There are two versions of the shot when Phoebe slides the last floor tile, to see the trap.

In trailer 1, she opens it left-handed. In trailer 2, she opens it right-handed.

This is an older video I made and sent to friends on Facebook at the time. I think the third trailer to depict this shot went back to the trailer 1 version.
Seems to be an emerging pattern with Jason Reitman. Arjen Tuiten mentioned in his interview with the Interdimensional Crossrip podcast that the Miner Ghost was originally going to use his left hand for the cup but on the morning of, Jason decided to go with the right hand instead.
By mrmichaelt
There was more about Callie's backstory that streamlined
Source: Avid
(39:44-39:56) Nate Orloff, "So there's originally a lot more about Callie and the backstory and the details and when that gets slowly ironed out and you like massaging bubbles out of a screen protector."
deadderek liked this
By spookcentral
So, this is what Gozer looked like when the movie was filmed. Yes, she did have the red eyes. I have no idea why they ruined it in post-production by making them black eyes.

Source: https://ghostbustersnews.com/2021/12/09 ... -gozerian/
By Kingpin
I can only speculate that maybe Jason felt that the black eyes looked more sinister and otherworldly. Especially as both Zuul and Vince were going to have them prominently, and even Vigo had featured them in his demonic form.
deadderek liked this
mrmichaelt wrote:There was more about Callie's backstory that streamlined
Source: Avid
(39:44-39:56) Nate Orloff, "So there's originally a lot more about Callie and the backstory and the details and when that gets slowly ironed out and you like massaging bubbles out of a screen protector."
So this means dialogue around Callie's back story got edited out?

I hope we get to see this stuff because it not only helps fill in the blanks, but her character was almost one-note in the finished edit - I'd like to see a more fleshed out version, if it exists.

I want the un-streamlined version, please. Now the Hasbro pack is done and focus is shifting from the theatrical run to digital streaming - I hope we finally get the home release details including any alternate version and deleted scenes.
By mrmichaelt
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: December 13th, 2021, 2:29 am So this means dialogue around Callie's back story got edited out?

I hope we get to see this stuff because it not only helps fill in the blanks, but her character was almost one-note in the finished edit - I'd like to see a more fleshed out version, if it exists.

I want the un-streamlined version, please. Now the Hasbro pack is done and focus is shifting from the theatrical run to digital streaming - I hope we finally get the home release details including any alternate version and deleted scenes.
Ha ha. Yes. Part of me was stoked Jason admitted the assembly cut was 3 hours but a small part of me was annoyed he did because now most of that 1 hour's worth of deleted material will be an ongoing mystery. Unless he was downplaying how many deleted scenes there will be on the Blu-ray.
By gerard55
spookcentral wrote: December 11th, 2021, 5:51 pm So, this is what Gozer looked like when the movie was filmed. Yes, she did have the red eyes. I have no idea why they ruined it in post-production by making them black eyes.

Source: https://ghostbustersnews.com/2021/12/09 ... -gozerian/
The black eyes seemed an odd choice but as kingpin mentioned a lot of the characters already have red eyes. The black eyes in hindsight looked more sinister, it was like looking into nothing, no emotion from them at all, whereas red eyes it was just a woman with contact lenses. Having seen the redeye look in that pic i think the black looks far more foreboding.
Perhaps they were trying to show that Gozer though still adopting a human form made it look slightly different. Even a Demon needs a change. I don't mind it, its a difference and like everything else changes. "It's whatever it wants to be"
By mrmichaelt
Summoning the Spirit special feature
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09SUIRNiaBQ

-0:55: Bts of mid credit tag, Dana at front door with Janine.

-1:07: Bts of final battle, Annie talking to Jason.

-1:30: Bts of mid credit tag, Dana, Peter, and Janine in room seen in tag

-1:50: Bts of final battle, Janine on porch of Farmhouse

So I believe Janine found the electro-shocker, maybe when she talked to Callie at the Farmhouse, and delivered it Dana as a gift then left and Dana tried it out on Peter in the mid credit tag.

Wonder why they cut Janine out of the finale. Would have been nice for Janine and Ghost Egon to have a moment, too.
Kingpin liked this
Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]