Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By jonogunn
Man they really did a number on Janine! It seemed like she was the nick fury of the movie getting the gang back together.

My hopes for an extended cut would be to include all these scenes as originally played but I think that would make the movie too drastic of a change so I doubt Jason would do that. Typical extended movies are to just add additional scenes and not change the make up of it.

Bummer. I would have really liked to see that version.
By RichardLess
Yep so like I thought I’m fairly certain the very last scene between Jeanine and Winston was suppose to take place BEFORE all the GB’s show up at the farm.

I mean…they wouldn’t have cut out footage of the OGB’s getting back together would they?

Because to me I think their thinking was “oh man the audience will be so surprised to see the GB’s show up here at the end” and instead it doesn’t work that way, for me at least. I’m thinking “Ok…where did they came from? Did they walk?”

How badass would it have been to have them arrive by helicopter. The Ecto Copter. With Winston flying. Ray hanging out the side with a mini gun style proton pack connected to the helicopter. Like the gunner seat in the Ecto 1 but one upped. Ray fires! Gozer dodges! Gozer hits the copter with some lightning, the rotor is hanging on by a thread. she starts going down. Uh oh. Beep beep beep beep. She’s gunna crash! But Winston gains control at the last second and sets it down nice and gentle like. They all get out. Ray, Winston, Venkman. All suited up. Walking towards the camera, helicopter in the BG. And BOOOOOM! The helicopter explodes in the BG and it’s the ultimate hero shot in slo mo…but of old shlubby out of shape men in proton packs. They do not look cool. But maybe they also do just a tiny bit. Venkman quips and Ray has a giant grin.
Winston: Damn it. That’s the 2nd one I’ve lost
Venkman: Well, 3rd times a charm
Winston: Do I charge that to the company?
Ray: We’ll let our accountant(nice Tully mention) figure it out. Ok. Business time. Let’s get back in the saddle boys.
Venkman: But I have bone spurs…

And the movie proceeds as is.
You could easily take 20 minutes (edit: ok, maybe not THAT much, but it is trimmable) out of the first hour of this movie to make space for these deleted ones. I want them back in because they appear to fix a ton of my complaints.

There HAS to be an extended cut on the way... Will it be used to cross-promote a sequel. C'mon Ghost Corps, don't leave us hanging.

Could whoever is in contact with Eric try to get confirmation of whether all of these deleted scenes will be released at some point in future? In the recent interview he did he said there'd be deleted scenes on the home release but seems not to be the case?

We'll all buy another edition on 4K UHD for these scenes - I don't particularly care about the money I just want at them so I can make my Afterlife edit, or view an extended cut from Jason & Co.
jonogunn, SpaceBallz, Wafflerobot and 1 others liked this
By Fritz
mrmichaelt wrote: January 5th, 2022, 9:36 pm Summoning the Spirit special feature
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09SUIRNiaBQ

-0:55: Bts of mid credit tag, Dana at front door with Janine.

-1:07: Bts of final battle, Annie talking to Jason.

-1:30: Bts of mid credit tag, Dana, Peter, and Janine in room seen in tag

-1:50: Bts of final battle, Janine on porch of Farmhouse

So I believe Janine found the electro-shocker, maybe when she talked to Callie at the Farmhouse, and delivered it Dana as a gift then left and Dana tried it out on Peter in the mid credit tag.

Wonder why they cut Janine out of the finale. Would have been nice for Janine and Ghost Egon to have a moment, too.
jonogunn wrote:Man they really did a number on Janine! It seemed like she was the nick fury of the movie getting the gang back together.

My hopes for an extended cut would be to include all these scenes as originally played but I think that would make the movie too drastic of a change so I doubt Jason would do that. Typical extended movies are to just add additional scenes and not change the make up of it.

Bummer. I would have really liked to see that version.
Yeah...I definitely agree with all of this. I was actually pleasantly surprised when I saw the movie at how relatively well she was treated (notice that she's the one person Egon was never able to completely alienate) but this makes me mad at the movie all over again. It's totally in character for her to storm off to New York to start beating down some doors and saying "No, THIS time you're going to listen!!! Egon's gone and isn't able to talk some sense into you jerks, but I swore that the last thing I will ever get to do for the man is to get you to f***ing listen!!!"

(I already headcanonned her forcefully knocking on the door of Ray's Occult about six second after Ray's call with Phoebe was cut off, and her saying something a lot like the above)

It's frustrating that it sounds like they were working on a movie that would have been a lot better for the character than the one we got.
By Fritz
mrmichaelt wrote: January 6th, 2022, 7:20 am
Fritz wrote: January 6th, 2022, 7:15 am It's frustrating that it sounds like they were working on a movie that would have been a lot better for the character than the one we got.
At least she was better utilized in Afterlife than in GB2, imo. Still, like everyone else wished she had a bigger role.
Very very VERY much agreed. :lol:
mrmichaelt liked this
Alphagaia wrote: January 6th, 2022, 12:09 pm Wow, was Janine originally the reason the OGB got back together? That just blows my mind and would fix the ending for me completely!
We know from Ernie that they are working on the sequel.... What if they cut those scenes to repurpose them in GB4, giving them more time to develop?
Davideverona wrote: We know from Ernie that they are working on the sequel.... What if they cut those scenes to repurpose them in GB4, giving them more time to develop?
I can see your angle but this is extremely unlikely:

1. Bill does not want to do more Ghostbusters, that's why he has only two scenes in Afterlife.
2. Dan seems quite content with cameo status.
3. Winston has already been established as being back in the end credit sequence.

So... who is Janine supposedly recruiting? They're not bringing the OG's back in a substantive role, man. It's just not happening. It also doesn't make sense because those scenes were arguably needed specifically to explain why the OG's turn up out of nowhere in this existing movie.
By mrmichaelt
Eric Reich got back to me on some deleted scene questions:

1. In trailers/promos, there is the famous photo of the four guys standing outside the Firehouse between takes of them running out during GB1 principal photography is in a frame. Was this framed photo in the Farmhouse, Peter and Dana's place, or someplace else?

Eric: Peter and Dana's

2. What was Oliver Cooper's role in the movie?

Eric: He was a security guard in Walmart, it was unfortunately cut.

3. In the Frog Bros. interview you did last month, you said there would be "some really cool deleted scenes" but in the digital/physical release, there's only 1 deleted scene. Are the other deleted scenes coming soon in a yet to be announced release?

Eric: I meant in all future releases, including the special trap box set which has some never before scenes from GBII. More info to come on that in the next day or two online.

4. It was 2 bts shots seen in a B-roll and on Jason's instagram. Was this in the Wertheimer's Hardware, Walmart, or elsewhere?
https://www.instagram.com/p/CRo3WLKptJX/

Eric: To answer your last question, that scene is in the hardware store with the Mini Pufts, it was also cut, at one point they were going to shoot a nail gun.
mrmichaelt wrote: January 6th, 2022, 5:49 pm Eric Reich got back to me on some deleted scene questions:

1. In trailers/promos, there is the famous photo of the four guys standing outside the Firehouse between takes of them running out during GB1 principal photography is in a frame. Was this framed photo in the Farmhouse, Peter and Dana's place, or someplace else?

Eric: Peter and Dana's

2. What was Oliver Cooper's role in the movie?

Eric: He was a security guard in Walmart, it was unfortunately cut.

3. In the Frog Bros. interview you did last month, you said there would be "some really cool deleted scenes" but in the digital/physical release, there's only 1 deleted scene. Are the other deleted scenes coming soon in a yet to be announced release?

Eric: I meant in all future releases, including the special trap box set which has some never before scenes from GBII. More info to come on that in the next day or two online.

4. It was 2 bts shots seen in a B-roll and on Jason's instagram. Was this in the Wertheimer's Hardware, Walmart, or elsewhere?
https://www.instagram.com/p/CRo3WLKptJX/

Eric: To answer your last question, that scene is in the hardware store with the Mini Pufts, it was also cut, at one point they were going to shoot a nail gun.
Really cool!!!

And what about the Janine subplot?
By Alphagaia
mrmichaelt wrote: January 7th, 2022, 2:59 am
Davideverona wrote: January 7th, 2022, 1:54 am And what about the Janine subplot?
It's on the list to ask in follow up emails. I'm asking questions in bunches. Don't want to overwhelm/irritate him with asking everything in one go. ;)
I found out the following about that:

So it's 'confirmed' by someone who 'read the script before shooting' that Janine visits the GB before the credits.

Please take your grain of salt here. -> °

mod note: https://www.reddit.com/r/ghostbusters/c ... &context=3
By Alphagaia
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: January 7th, 2022, 9:06 am But we know they shot the firehouse scene way later, right?
My guess is the part at Winstons office was supposed to be in the movie, the firehouse after.

The ESP Electro Shocker was probably segmented the same way, with a set up in the movie and pay off at the end.
By Alphagaia
I'm guessing Janine is bringing them artefacts from Egons will, probably tailor made to let them reminisce the good old times.

Might I even go as far that she brings them back the packs?

Darn, her going to the guys fixes so much of the weird choices for the ending as Phoebe was basically needed by Egon to hold the fort untill the GB arrive.

SHOW US THE JANINE CUT!
By Alphagaia
My guess? 'We wanted to make more money with an extended edition and you will buy this movie at least three times.' is high on that list of reasons.

Believe it or not, I'm absolutely fine with that if that means more content down the line.
Sav C liked this
Alphagaia wrote: January 8th, 2022, 2:37 am My guess? 'We wanted to make more money with an extended edition and you will buy this movie at least three times.' is high on that list of reasons.

Believe it or not, I'm absolutely fine with that if that means more content down the line.
That’s not how it works. Reitman has never released an extended cut ever so I don’t think that was anywhere on the list.
The movie was already over 2 hours. And ghostbusters has historically been movies between 100-110 minutes(reboot not included here).

They probably just wanted the movie to move faster and pacing is the reason why. But I can guarantee you they weren’t thinking “extended cut”. Jason has already said the theatrical cut is his directors cut. Would he be willing to make an alternate cut just for fans? I doubt it.
Sav C liked this
RichardLess wrote: That’s not how it works. Reitman has never released an extended cut ever so I don’t think that was anywhere on the list.
The movie was already over 2 hours. And ghostbusters has historically been movies between 100-110 minutes(reboot not included here).

They probably just wanted the movie to move faster and pacing is the reason why. But I can guarantee you they weren’t thinking “extended cut”. Jason has already said the theatrical cut is his directors cut. Would he be willing to make an alternate cut just for fans? I doubt it.
I agree with this. I think Jason is happy with this cut and doesn't intend to do an extended version.

The deleted scenes are likely held back to squeeze money out of a future re-release (a new double pack with the home release of Ghostbusters 4, for example). Alternatively, it may be they don't feel confident in putting those deleted scenes out there for whatever reason.
By Alphagaia
RichardLess wrote: January 8th, 2022, 4:06 am
Alphagaia wrote: January 8th, 2022, 2:37 am My guess? 'We wanted to make more money with an extended edition and you will buy this movie at least three times.' is high on that list of reasons.

That’s not how it works. Reitman has never released an extended cut ever so I don’t think that was anywhere on the list.
The movie was already over 2 hours.

And ghostbusters has historically been movies between 100-110 minutes(reboot not included here).

It's not only his choice ofcourse. With movies like this there are a few more cooks in the kitchen with Dan, his dad en Sony all having a say. Jason also never made a big budget movie like this, and no one expected him to as he didn't want to make a GB for quite some time.
In this new ballpark the same movie is sold many times to the same audience with a few nuts and bolts added on, and an extended edition or extra deleted scenes is very much the MO so far for this franchise.
Alphagaia wrote: January 8th, 2022, 9:14 am
RichardLess wrote: January 8th, 2022, 4:06 am

The movie was already over 2 hours.

And ghostbusters has historically been movies between 100-110 minutes(reboot not included here).

It's not only his choice ofcourse. With movies like this there are a few more cooks in the kitchen with Dan, his dad en Sony all having a say. Jason also never made a big budget movie like this, and no one expected him to as he didn't want to make a GB for quite some time.
In this new ballpark the same movie is sold many times to the same audience with a few nuts and bolts added on, and an extended edition or extra deleted scenes is very much the MO so far for this franchise.
Extra deleted scenes? For sure. We know Sony will milk that teet until the end of time. But we’ve had one extended cut from a director who has a history of releasing alternate/extended stuff.

Reitman is a filmmakers from the independent world. His dad was literally the producer. There is no way the studio or him said “cut this out so we can sell some extended cuts”. Infact I doubt he would have even agreed to do this film if studio interference was an issue. Directors usually balk at that sort of thing as Jason has said the theatrical cut is his cut. If they were making him take things out, I doubt he’d be saying that. I was surprised to see the film as long as it was to be honest.

It is more than a little weird that there is only a single deleted scene and a measly 45 minutes of behind the scenes material on the home video release. So could there be an extended cut coming? It’s unlikely but never say never. Unfortunately, as we talked about, studios are spending less and less money on bonus feature development and production. They use to talk about HOURS of behind the scenes goodies. Now it’s a measly 45 minutes. But there’s no way the movie was edited in a way just so an extended cut could be released at a later date. That’s not either Reitman’s M.O. Usually when studio interference like that happens we hear about it.

Jason has been pretty honest about the process. He even said Ivan Reitman recommended shaving some frames here and there after the premiere at cinemacon(I’d love to know what changed).
Kingpin liked this
The other thing with deleted scenes as they do add some fun content...but can also really mess up what the final released product was and you could have way more questions and at the end the cut that was released is the one where your basically given the "canon" story. Deleted scenes with certain new places, events and character interactions can muddle the actual film and while it may clean some things up it could also darken the water a little more and honestly with Afterlife...there's some muddied pools there already I don't want to make murkier.
By mrmichaelt
deadderek wrote: January 20th, 2022, 12:23 amImage

Here's one to add. "I had fun, we had fun."
Thanks.

Yeah, I think this was part of scene we saw them filming that featured on a B-roll. Something like after Muncher leaves the Foundry, Phoebe tells Podcast, "I told you to trap him" and then I think it's this had fun line.

EDIT: Nope, guess it was a second alternate scene. Podcast yells, "Yes!", left hanging for a high five, Phoebe says "I told you to trap him," and he's says "It's fine, we'll get him next time. Okay? Okay."
Do you think there's a chance Jason was happy with the theatrical cut but having read some of the fan reaction, Ghost Corp are keeping back the deleted scenes so at least they have the option of revisiting should they wish in future? Because at one point Eric suggested the deleted scenes for Afterlife would feature on the home release.
By mrmichaelt
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: January 20th, 2022, 1:58 am Because at one point Eric suggested the deleted scenes for Afterlife would feature on the home release.
I already asked Eric that and posted the reply a couple posts up. Eric was misinterpreted. He was talking about the movies, not just Afterlife. "I meant in all future releases, including the special trap box set which has some never before scenes from GBII."

Although, Jason may have indicated in an interview or virtual zoom interview there would be deleted scenes. I forget which one, may the 11/24 Collider interview. EDIT: Yup.

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London