So my lifelong quest of obtaining the Miranda adapters jut got a little closer to completion...

I was insanely lucky enough to find the bottom half of the left eye lens and the top silver half of the right eye lens on ebay last year. When I purchased them I thought they were both part of the right eye (seeing how rare the left eye lens is) But when I received them it was clear I got really lucky that the black part was actually from the left eye (The part was listed for $6 as 'uknown c-mount camera adapter' lol )

Fast forward to today.... I was lucky enough to find a full complete set of the right eye so I jumped on it.

Something surprising, the 2 silver right eye pieces I've acquired are made out of totally different materials.
One is a significantly more metallic and heavier than the other, although identical in dimensions.
I think the more muted / matte silver top looks to be more similar to the one used on Ray's goggles, they must be from different generations of the Mirax Laborec cameras.

Side by side, there is definitely a slight height and diameter difference between the two bases. I know that was one thing that was tough to confirm over the years, although the difference is not as drastic as you'd think.

..The left eye lens base is just a tad bit shorter and wider

Now that I have 3/4 of the lenses in my possession, my next goal is to figure out how they attached these. There is some stuff that is still very puzzling to me. They must have used another style of adapter, to create the "base rings" that we see on the ecto goggles. I'm no camera expert but I've seen a lot of similar base rings out there called "c-mount" or "t-mount" adapter rings. Finding the right shape and size to fit the Miranda lenses might be tough though. For all I know the base rings they used may not even be a real world part, could have been fabricated....

One thing that I can't wrap my head around is this knurled base ring that I've boxed in red.
It is not removable from the base, it's a machined part of of the tube.

Looking at reference photos this doesn't match up at all. That knurled part doesn't seem to exist on the hero versions. Unless there's another version of the Miranda adapters floating around that we've never seen before without the knurled base, I'm puzzled why it doesn't seem to appear in reference photos.

Unless they built the base rings around this part...I'm stumped...
The only other thing I can think of is that they maybe mounted the lenses from the inside of the faceplate, so that knurled part would sit behind the face plate. I'll have to experiment to see if this would make sense or not

The left eye lens did come with a detachable base adapter but it doesn't seem to line up with the ones used on the Ecto Goggles. This leads me to believe there might be different style camera adapters out there that would fit these.

I don't think I'll ever find the left eye upper half, but I'm hoping I can get something machined that would fit it.
The base rings here were for my old "close enough" telescope adapter lenses and unfortunately they don't fit. Hoping I can find something similar that will :)

Although still very puzzled about the base rings, I'm sure the answer will come to light someday!
One time, Michael Gonsoski, Kingpin and 6 others liked this
I was wondering if you could provide detailed measurements of the Laborec lenses .
I modeled the IR goggles but would like a more accurate version of the lenses. I would also like to make them swivel like the originals.
So, I would need OD and ID of diameters and heights from base to different OD circumferences.
I want to model and release them as stl files so GB fans can print them. I know it's asking a lot but it would be much appreciated.

Mike
NotSabbat liked this
The Goon wrote: November 30th, 2019, 10:46 am I was wondering if you could provide detailed measurements of the Laborec lenses .
I modeled the IR goggles but would like a more accurate version of the lenses. I would also like to make them swivel like the originals.
So, I would need OD and ID of diameters and heights from base to different OD circumferences.
I want to model and release them as stl files so GB fans can print them. I know it's asking a lot but it would be much appreciated.

Mike

Ditto on that. Measurements would really help out.
I am trying to locate the smaller lens assembly myself, so if you have any measurements from that I would appreciate it!

Lowberg, is the knob you have on that shorter lens (the more accurate one) an original that came with the lens?

Would you be able to share some measurements or close up photos of that?
AJ Quick wrote: December 11th, 2019, 5:01 pm I am trying to locate the smaller lens assembly myself, so if you have any measurements from that I would appreciate it!

Lowberg, is the knob you have on that shorter lens (the more accurate one) an original that came with the lens?

Would you be able to share some measurements or close up photos of that?
Yes the accurate styled knurled knob came with the lower lens.

I tried to measure everything I could 2 - 3 times with digital calipers. Forgive me I'm not great at creating blueprints

Right Eye (Tall optic silver top) Base:

Right Eye (Tall optic silver top ) Top:

Left Eye (Shorter optic) Base:

I also have an original manual for the Mirax Laborec II in Japanese, would anyone be interested in a scanned version?
Kingpin, Cole Funstuff liked this
And as far as the left eye lens goes, I just got insanely lucky on Ebay. I occasionally browse for microscope adapters just to see what's out there, and one day this just showed up in my "recommended items" feed and my jaw dropped to the floor.

So no real ID on that except it was probably made by Miranda and used on a different attachment.
One thing interesting is that the Right Eye Tall Silver Optic lens screws directly into the Laborec camera, while the left eye shorter base is too large....is it for a different Miranda camera? Is there an adapter for it that would make it fit the Laborec? So many questions
DrAivEn50, Kingpin liked this
Thank you for sharing so much!

Last week I found a Mirax camera on eBay with the correct lens and immediately bought it. Currently working on drawing the right lens from the one I have, but your measurements are perfect to help draw up the left lens!

I still need to draw the knurled base, but do you think that base wasn't actually on the screen used Ecto goggles?

My hope is to provide exact replicas, down to the engraving and anodized black color. The originals were cast aluminum with only light machining done, that's how they made them have the unusual shapes and undercuts.
Kingpin, Cole Funstuff liked this
AJ Quick wrote: December 12th, 2019, 12:13 pm I still need to draw the knurled base, but do you think that base wasn't actually on the screen used Ecto goggles?
Awesome work AJ. Honestly I don't know and it's driving me crazy! In every picture I can find I can't really notice the knurled base on the right eye. I will have to dig through some of those old pre-production and behind the scenes photo to see if I can make it out.

Glenn, I might have some of your other photos saved somewhere... I will look around on my computer tonight
Glenn Frederick liked this
Back when I started searching for the unidentified adapter I had found a Japanese site that had six Laborec cameras and multiple adapters.

They didn't have the left side adapter but they had the several right side black and silver adapters and another adapter that looked just like the right side adapter but the silver part was wide. it almost looked to be the same size of the Matty Ecto goggles version. The site didn't ship overseas and was strictly to be sold in Japan.

After that I did find one left side adapter that had already sold in the UK that was listed like the one Lowberg had found but the lower half was very short, the top part and the screws were correct. I know there's more of these adapters out there in different sizes and variations.

I think possible the adapter that was sold with the Laborac Camera was made global and is close to the screen used part but what was used on the Ecto goggles might have been variant and a lot of those accessories were only available in Japan.
Yea I had a friend import one from Japan for me haha.

Glenn, I found some of the other photos you posted on my computer. I tried to get measurements from them as close as I could:
On this first photo I moved the ruler down just a bit so the 0 mark would hit the original edge of the ruler.
I tried to take in account of the position of the ruler relative to the piece in my lines.

I have some other photos by Glenn, I will be adding to a google drive and posting here. I also have the Mirax Laborec, Manual which may have some size and thread information. I will be scanning that tomorrow and also uploading
DrAivEn50 wrote: December 12th, 2019, 7:28 pm I'm amazed by the time you guys spend on researching all the fine details for all the props. Great job!
We've been at it (online) since 1995. ;-)
Lowberg wrote:I have some other photos by Glenn, I will be adding to a google drive and posting here. I also have the Mirax Laborec, Manual which may have some size and thread information. I will be scanning that tomorrow and also uploading
From what I've seen online, the thread is apparently 44mm x 1.0mm pitch. A very strange mounting size, given that 42mm is common and 45mm, but 44mm!? (I say this despite my measurements showing it may be 45mm.)

EDIT: This website says: http://mirandageek.eu/archives/1181
The main difference between Mirax and Miranda versions is the mount, which is a special 46mm-thread-with-external-bayonets mount on Mirax, while the Miranda Laborec uses the standard 44mm Miranda mount
This seems to agree with the camera I have, which has a 46mm external bayonet mount and the 44mm internal mount.
Interesting, the manual says 46mm. But I have no way to measure other than calipers at this time.

Here is the parts description from the Mirax Laborec Manual.
The left eye attachment is not featured in this manual

Roughly translated (It's not great but oh well lol ):
How to use the Analogic (Analog?) mirror:

Name of each department (part?)
The microscopic adapter that attaches to the Laborec.
The connector is made up of the following parts:

A: Medium Body: The part that is attached to the camera, the camera 46-millimeter screw mount.
The other side has a connecting claw. Stocks are mounting (Screws are for mounting?)

B: Locking Screw: for connecting the middle cylinder A and D

C: Connecting clamp: connects the middle body A and the connection D

D: Attachment body: fixed to a microscope tube. The inner diameter is about 25mm, Head of the mirror
The eyepiece is placed in the body of this connection. It is also a special scope

E: Locking screw: a screw that fixes the body of the connection mirror tube

F: Connection miso(?) The connection tool C enters and stops. It is fixed with a screw (B)

G: Anti-Reflection: Use the eyepiece of the head mirror

H: Eye Shedding Tube: Using a microscopically adjusted tube to prevent tube from sinking
Kingpin wrote: December 14th, 2019, 6:12 pm What's the heft of the adaptor/lense pieces? Are they fairly light, given they're aluminium?
Larger lens is about 2.3 ounces, I'd guess the smaller one is around 2 ounces (55-65 grams).
Lowberg wrote:Interesting, the manual says 46mm. But I have no way to measure other than calipers at this time.
I've settled that they must be 46mm with a 1mm pitch.
Here is the final 3D of the longer lens.

I will work on an idealized shorter lens soon using the measurements Lowberg and Glenn have provided.
Glenn had another photo of the upper left lens that I didn't see included which shows the height of the band (let me know if you want this taken down Glenn):

Like AJ, I modeled the the lenses based on the measurements and put them over the AN/PVS-5 frame I've been modeling the past couple months:

Aside from the photos Lowberg had in his first post, do we have any clear shots of the lens base to model against? I'm attempting to overlay the goggles onto some screenshots to get a better idea of the lens position, but I always have trouble photo matching models for some reason.
AJ Quick, Glenn Frederick, cristovalc and 1 others liked this
Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]