By dyfea
hey friends! ive been waiting 7 months to finally start a topic on this forum and todays the day i introduce you all to the Wreckto-1! i found this car half a year ago and finally bought it, and sadly the transport company flipped the trailer on the way home :( but me sittin and crying isnt gonna do anything, so im not gonna let it stop me!

this car is a 1962 m+m that was sitting since 1978 with all of the glass intact, cracked but still in place. when the trailer flipped, it bent in the passenger side fin, the door handles, and the back half of the roof by about 7 inches. it also bent the trim, the drip rail, and shattered the rear corner glass, all of the side, and the windshield. its gonna be tough, but with some help sourcing parts im gonna do my best to get it back on the road.

im currently trying to source a very rough parts donor that would be willing to sell me that section of roof, possibly some glass, and possibly some 59-60 doors. this project will be long, and challenging, but im very verey excited to start. the drivers side is fine, the chassis is solid, and even the rear floors are solid, which i understand is very uncommon! if youd like to keep tabs on this project you can check out my Youtube channel, same name as my profile, i should have a vid or 2 sometime soon.

and if youre reading this and would be willing to sell any donor parts, feel free to get in touch with me! thanks to everyone thats made this situation easier and has helped already, im very much looking forward to making new ghostbuster fan friends!
Last edited by Kingpin on February 28th, 2020, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Split block of text into paragraphs.
Prime 1986, Petzrick liked this
By Kingpin
Yikes... You've definitely got your work laid out ahead of you.

I'm startled by the design of the trailer they were using, I don't understand why the vehicles are so high up off the roadway.

Did they provide any sort of compensation for their competence?
Sav C, dyfea liked this
transam99 wrote: March 1st, 2020, 12:49 pm I just took my front end off my 61 mm and replaced it w a 59 front end. I wonder if you could do the same or use the fender off my 61.
thats exactly what im gonna do too! im searching for a 1959 sedan as a body panel donor currently, along with a roof section donor of a rotten m+m. did the 1959 stuff bolt on the same? good luck on your build, i love that thing!
The doors on mine are unique in that they are basically 1960 doors modified. Thats how it came from m&m. Look at you fender and see if the bottom trim piece bolts on. I will post a picture of my door and fender.
What i did was i made a paper template of my door jam where it meets the front fender. I then placed the template over a 1959 and confirmed the door jams matched. When you convert to a 59 make sure u get every piece including the hood hinges.
dyfea liked this
59 caddies are round all the way down. 61 and 62 have that bump out the bottom few inches of the door. I plan on bolting my bump out piece onto the 59 fender that way i dont have to do metal work down the whole side of the car. Hopefully that makes sense. Btw i liked the video. I feel the same way about my car!
dyfea liked this
transam99 wrote: March 4th, 2020, 8:42 am 59 caddies are round all the way down. 61 and 62 have that bump out the bottom few inches of the door. I plan on bolting my bump out piece onto the 59 fender that way i dont have to do metal work down the whole side of the car. Hopefully that makes sense. Btw i liked the video. I feel the same way about my car!
thanks man! this is very helpful, i cant wait to see more of your build!
Obviously you've got a lot of work ahead of you, but I'm curious - are you going to strive for a pristine look, or keep some of the more characteristic dents and such and make a more weathered Ecto (a la the upcoming movie)?
dyfea liked this
Macktacular wrote: March 9th, 2020, 11:25 pm Obviously you've got a lot of work ahead of you, but I'm curious - are you going to strive for a pristine look, or keep some of the more characteristic dents and such and make a more weathered Ecto (a la the upcoming movie)?
well i really prefer the original 1984 look so im planning 1959 body panels, black interior, and all the rest. its very very hard to replicate rust and weathering, so a 1984 ecto in my opinion would be immensly easier than a 2020. but that being said, im gonna try and sell my weathered stuff for other builders that DO want to do a 2020, or that are redoing a miller in general
transam99 - that "bump out" piece down the side is just an add-on molding... I am removing that from a customer car and just moving the front fender spear end to the back door to continue to the rear fender skirt bump-out. This leaves the whole front of the car smooth like the 59. Filling in the little holes down the side isn't a big deal on bodywork from that point.

dyfea - I've been offering advice on your FB threads about this... wish you the best, and hope you got a decent settlement outta that transport company.
dyfea liked this
thanks danimal! yes everything worked out with the transport company, and since then my mind has been on finding a body panels donor and a roof section ambulance donor car, which turns out to be very rare haha. thanks for the help so far!
Hey gang! I made good use of the coronavirus free time and did some dissasembly on Wrecto-1! I was gonna try and remove some glass but i have NO JDEA HOW TO WORK WITH GLASS! so instead i took off the damaged doors and cleaned up the interior. The car sat since 1978 so needless to say, its dirty. I also removed a section of the floor cover where you step and there was SO MUCH POWDERY RUST like over 1/4 inch thick so im gladd i got all of that out of there. Still looking for parts, considering going to a frame pull shop to see what they can do with the roof, but MAN id reslly kill for a roof section donor. Still VERY MUCH on the hunt for one so stay tuned :). Video coming up soon on my youtube channel! Hope yall stay safe ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
okay guys now were finally getting somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i just by the grace of our Lord a beautiful barn kept 67000 miles 1962 miller meteor HEARSE! this thing was in a collectors barn full of over 150 classic cars, apparently ha also had a real 59 at one point too! this one is so complete that im going to use it as my new project car, im not going to scrap wrecto or cut it up but i AM going to use its side windows, trim, rear area interior and floor, divider, and possibly the heavy duty 8 lug axle it has IF it turns out that itd make the car better. im going to post the videos from youtube here so yall can see the progress, im going to try and get it running and driving before afterlife comes out!!! fingers crossed. i just am amazed that God gave me the opportunity to buy this car, its nicer than anything i expected or even WANTED, but i couldnt argue with the price he was asking. hope yall are as excited to see this thing built as i am!
tobycj, Kingpin liked this
here is the first part of the teardown! ive already filmed more of the teardown since this vid, and IM STILL NOT DONE!!!!! yall wouldnt believe how much of a pain this shag carpet and rotten floor is
Last edited by Kingpin on May 10th, 2021, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Added YouTube code
RedSpecial, danimal liked this
i just realised that i never posted any of the other videos on my wrecto 1 project here! progress has slowed down since these were filmed, i have 3 or 4 more videos currently filmed with the car that havent been edited because of my school, but mainly because i have since realised that my engine is SEIZED so thats going to slow down the progress! keep an eye out for more videos coming out soon, im considering doing a budget ls swap on the car just so i can get it reliably running in time for the afterlife premiere! i also just hit 400 subs on the channel so im going to try and make some good stuff with this car so i can hit my BIG GOAL of 1000 subs by the afterlife premiere. heres one of the recent wrecto videos!

https://youtu.be/nu8J7tq2Kzk
Last edited by dyfea on July 4th, 2021, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
just so i can show you guys the current state of the wrecto1 project in pictures for those ofyou who dont like the video format, here is the biggest current project goal in the near future for this car. as i stated previously and to some of you directly, the engine is most likely seized (video coming SOON on that) and the floor behind the front seat is rotten (video already posted!) so those are the 2 expensive obstacles in the way of the project currently. i will have to buy a new floor and either repair the engine or swap it out which will both cost a good amount. but something i will be able to do FOR ALMOST FREE is completely revamp the interior using sections from both of the cars! sadly i wont be able to do ANY of this until the floor metal has been replaced and painted, but once that is done i have almost everything i need! the hearse, aka the black one, has a perfect dashboard, headliner, front seat, front door panels, front glass, and most trim. it is lacking almost everything from the back seats to the rear door because the previous owner stripped it down and replaced everything with linoleum and shag carpet sadly. the ambulance, aka the rusty crashed one,has nothing of worth in the front except for the rearview mirror and one a pillar chrome piece that the hearse doesnt have. but in the back, it has almost everything needed to make an ecto! im talking a perfect floor with good linoleum, good divider with glass, work desk, flip up jumpseat, permanent jumpseat, some interior furnishing that might be usable on the sides, the aluminum trim, door panels (which one was apparently spray painted black long ago for some reason so i installed it in the hearse off camera, different window trim on the doors that house little roll up fabric limo style window covers that block visibility and retract into the door (which the hearse did not have), and only lacks the rear door panel just like the hearse. all of this is removable, so once i have a floor pan installed, i can install all of the pink interior in the hearse! what fabric is usable will be spray painted to match the black the hearse already has, and the linoleum will just be covered with a black rubber coin mat material similar to the gray one ecto1 already had! with all of this installed, it will functionally be a full time ambulance inside and a hearse outside, and only be lacking front carpet, front headliner, rear door skin. and perhaps some small lighting bits in the headliner and divider unless i can find or replicate them. after this is done, all on the list is engine, chassis repaint, drivetrain, and we begin to parts source the 1959 stuff, roof components, and repair the rust along the rockers and doors!
Thanks for the support! And nossir my plan is to use it as well as the rest of that rear interior so i cant part with her lol. They shouldnt be too hard to make, and id imagine someone here knows how to make the screen accurate versions by now! This is way not screen accurate lol, even when i repaint it itll still be different
69428scj liked this

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]