I'm trying to get a magnetic logo made to stick on the side of my car for a fan film. I was told by Office Max that they cant do it for copyright reasons. I replied telling them that it's usually fine as long as I'm not selling the image or using it for profit. They disagreed. They want me to get permission from Sony. They said I could come in and fill out all this paper work, and I'm just thinking...yeah right...I'm going to right sony asking to put their logo on my car and they're ACTUALLY going to take their time to reply to me saying yeah man...go ahead. He obviously does'nt know what jack @$$'s sony can be. Here's the e-mail they sent me:
Mr. Hodges:

We appreciate your reply. Unfortunately, the fact that someone has posted this information on the internet is immaterial. It may be all right for you to copy the image, but it is not all right for me to. OfficeMax policy requires a signed release from the copyright holder.

This is true regardless of the item and its projected use. We have to turn away individuals who want to copy Disney characters, portrait studio photographs, or sheet music for church choir. To otherwise would leave the company open to tremendous liability.

I have all of the necessary forms if you want to pursue the matter. From what you said, it appears that permission from Sony would be easy to obtain.

Thank you,
Jim F., Supervisor
OfficeMax Print & Document Services
Colonnades West Shopping Center
Glen Allen, Virginia

How do I reply to this? Should I actually fill out the paper work and hope that Sony gives me the ok...or is their an alternative? :( So much fuss....
By ice11red
My suggestion is....one of two things.

1. Go to a smaller shop that could careless. I know window tinting places around me also sell the custom magnetic signs. A big company like office max probably wants to play by the rules since the have potential to be watched more carefully by different groups trying to uphold patten laws. Small shops would be happy to accept your business then worry about copyright laws.

2. Ebay. Ive seen them on more then one occasion on there.

Good luck.
By secrecyguy
Those are very expensive to make. It cost around $40 each to make.

You can go to a office supply store and get a magnet sheets that can go to your printer but they don't work very well.

So my best advice is go look for blank magnetic signs. You will find them on Ebay, Froogle, and Yahoo Shopping. Than go to a office supply store and get those sheets of sticker. You can find a sticker that is 8.5 x 11. Run it though the printer and than stick on the magnetic signs and you have a custom made Ghostbuster logo.
By Ecto96
Signs now quoted me for 3 at a foot each in size for 85 bucks, or use the ones I'm using now, about 8" from a guy on ebay, I got 3 for 35 bucks shipped, but they're kinda small on the huge mustang doors, and my hood is fiberglass, so I've got a spare now...
By Radar
Dr. Ray Stantz wrote: Should I actually fill out the paper work and hope that Sony gives me the ok...

As the old saying goes, "To seek permission is to seek denial." :x Also, asking Sony for permission is likely to turn some heads that otherwise wouldn't be turned. Asking for their OK might make them keep a closer eye on things copyright-wise and they'll start taking names and handing out C&D orders. Try a smaller print shop and keep things on the down-low.
By stanztheman
I found it at a custom sign place for only 20 dollars apiece, which, for the quality of the magnets, thats a REALLY good price.
By gbnick
i have a friend who runs a sign shop in my town i think he could help us i will talk to him and ask him how much it will cost
By Keaton Kohl
I would go with an on-line place some of their services are automated and they may not even be looking at what they are printing. For every service Office max provides there is an on-line alternative. I found a place that prints vinyl stickers to adhere to your car maybe they will let you do it or not notice.

http://www.vinzdecals.com/create.html

By Dr. Ray Stantz
Meh. It's not my car, so I need it to be magnetic.
By gbnick
i should have an awnser for you by monday he will need to know the dimensions
By Dr. Ray Stantz
Awesome...as far as dimensions...I guess what ever is standard for the gb logo on a car door.... :shock:
By whoyagonnacall11
I donno about magnetic but I'm finally getting my two vinyl decals made and getting a quote later today. As for dimensions it really depends on the car and the door, it just has to be proportionate. i have a wooden GB logo made with dimensions really close to the original and it was just too small for my car

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]