User avatar
By Indy Magnoli
#4946242
As I mentioned in my introductory post, my very first prop replica was a proton pack! When I was a kid, I assembled a proton pack from a cardboard box, round cookie tin for a cyclotron and a karate belt for shoulder straps. The neutrino wand was a wooden dowel, foam and electrical tape for the grips and another cardboard box for the main unit. Although I've been making prop replicas ever since, I've never gotten around to making a proper proton pack... until now.

So far, I've got a good shell, ALICE frame, a resin booster and one Dale PH-25. I've got the Afterlife wand, which I might mod to a classic wand at some point. But... that's all I've got so far.

I've also just picked up a bunch of Clippard pieces locally for cheap. They're not the right models, but I'd rather have some real-world parts (and I love the challenge of doing everything on a budget or by trading with other fans) than resin castings. So, at the moment, I've got:

Two R-305 valves:

Image

Three R-431 valves:

Image

And one R-731:

Image

If anyone would like to trade for some parts, or donate to the cause, drop me a line!

Once I get my shell, I'll start posting some photos of the build.

Kind regards,
Indy
Last edited by Indy Magnoli on August 4th, 2021, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peet, cristovalc liked this
#4946994
A friend of mine sent me some parts from Canada back in November... and it JUST arrived! Talk about Covid delays!! So, here's what I've got so far:

Image

Not pictured here is my Afterlife Wand (which I'll probably try and mod back to a standard wand) and the ALICE frame.

So, if you see something missing (there's plenty!) and you've got a spare, drop me a line. This includes any sound and light kits you may have. I love horse trading, so shoot me a pm or e-mail so we can talk.

Once all my ducks are in a row, I'll start assembling and post progress pics.

Thanks,
Indy
#4953308
Well, I finally got around to fiberglassing my shell:

Image

It's actually the first time I've done fiberglassing, so happy enough with the results. It's definitely a lot tougher than it was when I started.

My pack shell is missing some detail at the bottom, so I've cut some thin ply to spruce it up a bit:

Image

I've masked the parts I want to keep with the original smooth finish, then sprayed several coats of hammered metal texture:

Image

I've got the following pieces for the ion arm:

Image

After a bit of paint and assembly... just need some tubes:

Image

Drilled the cyclotron holes, added a crank knob, a few stickers as well as the extra blocks on the base:

Image

I know it'll never be in the realm of accuracy of many of your packs, but I'm having a great time putting this together... and what an upgrade from my cardboard box pack from when I was a kid!
Glenn Frederick, ccv66, tobycj and 3 others liked this
#4953389
Looking good so far, keep up the good work.

I have a few resin pieces left over from my old eBay store days. Shoot me a PM with what you need and I'll see if I have anything I can send you (they may not be in great shape).
#4953558
The weld lines were in the casting already, though I'm probably going to add some to the base of my booster once I add it to the pack using epoxy putty.

I added some more to the base of my pack, using a couple of screws (and some hot glue) to mount the loom hose:

Image

The bumper I got was a bit rough and too big for my pack, so I trimmed it, reshaped it a bit with some files, dremel and sandpaper... I had to putty the holes up (since they no longer matched up to my pack) and drill new ones:

Image

After a repaint and adding a decal, I got to do a little test fit (so exciting!):

Image
tobycj, twmedford23 liked this
#4954017
On to the clippard valve... So, I started with the incorrect R-431:

Image

Unscrewing the top to remove the bulb thing was no problem:

Image

For the top piece, I thought I could 3d print an accurate knob, but I like having metal pieces when possible, so first I thought to dig through my greeblie collection:

Image

See that thing in the bottom center of the picture... once I popped the cylinder off the arm holding it, I found a brass piece inside:

Image

These two piece sat perfectly on top of the Clippard lid and the proportions were close enough for me:

Image

A nut, bolt and couple of washers put it all together easily:

Image

Sure, there's no knurling, but it looks the part and matches the original lid so nicely:

Image

Once I get some cap screws I'll add this to my pack! :)
mike_waclo liked this
User avatar
By Indy Magnoli
#4955165
Just got a package from a fellow fan with a couple of cleaned up pieces:


Image


Those injector tubes are solid resin, so heavy! I decided to try and lighten them a bit:

https://i.imgur.com/HELCG56.mp4

The used Plastic Weld to sculpt the welds on the edges (and used a hole puncher to add some ridging):


Image


Image


I had some plastic weld left over, so added some to my booster tube:


Image


Some black spray paint and a little silver Rub n' Buff and they're starting to look the part:


Image

Image


I added a couple of screws to the injector tubes so I could hot glue the loom tube to them. Here are the new pieces on the pack:


Image


Image


Thanks again to all those helping with this build!
tobycj, ccv66 liked this
By Mat
#4955461
There is an easier way to mount the tubing into the shell and injector tubes. Keep the tubing long and drill a hole the same diameter as the OD of the pneumatic tubing. Shove them into the drilled holes on the shell and injectors and voila! :)

    One of my favorite moments with Eric was thinki[…]

    U.S. premiere of Ray Parker Jr.'s documentary will[…]

    Southern Illinois

    Anyone is southern Illinois area wanting to get to[…]

    I followed along. I did the soldering. But the tog[…]