By erock8100
simple question, is there a right color black to use? I tried a black and it just doesn't seem right. Please let me know if there is a proper brand to use..thanks-eric
By TheRandalovic
Ya, my pack is a bit too glossy and dark for my liking. Its hard to take a picture of it. You loose detail easily. Plus we painted it at work with an automotive sprayer. Its definitely too thick. I will be painting my second pack differently. I will try a Matte black which is somewhere between flat and semi-gloss. Then I will lay down some dry rub down transfers and then a single coat of clear to seal them in. Personal preference is right.
By DarkSpectre
After primer, hit it with an even coat of Krylon brilliant silver, then use Krylon satin black. Having the silver undercoat gives the black the color behavior similar to the first film.
By kind2311
there was a time when i was in favor of semi-gloss black but i have noticed recently that my pack is a bit too dark and shiny as well, and as a result doesnt photograph well. I ended up rubbing greasy crap all over it and then giving a healthy dusting of crushed brown and yellow pastel and its finally dulled down a bit.

to avoid all that mess, i have pretty decided to do my next pack like this: gray primer > hammered finish paint > satin black

there's a still a possibility that i'll use semi gloss and then hit the whole pack with a matte clear spray after the vinyl(not metallic) labels are applied.
By CPU64
A little fine mist of clear gloss over flat turns out pretty close to semi flat.. Its what I do.
By Syco54645
DarkSpectre wrote:I have to say it sucks that krylon discontinued the semi flat black. The semi flat was the perfect color.
They still make semi flat you just cannot find it. no stores sell it any longer. go to a smaller hardware store and have it ordered.
By Vincenzo330
I've been using Rustoleum paints on all my packs. They cure very well and are sold at Home Depot. I have to say honestly putting my packs side-by-side I can't really see much difference between the "semi-gloss black" and "satin black", they're both a little shiny. Semi-gloss seems to be the easier of the two to find in stores however.

As Kind said, what makes the difference if you're going for the on-screen look, is to dirty the pack up.

I think for all my builds my formula from here on out is

plastic fiberglass/resin/pvc parts = primer, hammered black, satin black.
metal parts = I go straight to the satin black

Then a little fullers earth (which I still haven't done to 2 of my builds).
By Dark Jedi 1500
My Mark V uses Krylon Grey Primer, Krylon Matte Aluminum, and Krylon Flat Black with various other Krylon paints for the other colors.

for weathering you'll want to get some silver, black, brown, and white acrylic paints to add the look of dirt and grim to the pack. You may also want to use some ranch dressing between the aluminum coat and the black coat to mask of areas where you want it to look like the paint has chipped off.
By KagaSakai
kind2311 wrote:to avoid all that mess, i have pretty decided to do my next pack like this: gray primer > hammered finish paint > satin black.
Is that the same combo you used on the pack you were recently trying to sell on eBay? I really like how that pack looks.
Vincenzo330 wrote:Ranch dressing? Is that a term I don't know or do you literally mean ranch salad dressing?
Hmmmmm. I remember reading somewhere on these boards about a "mustard" method where you would paint over mustard and then scrape it off, making it look like a chipped finish. Perhaps the ranch is the same method?
By CPU64
I'd use rubber cement instead of dressing. Don't want to mix greasy food with paint.
By Dark Jedi 1500
Actually you do. To clean the dressing off you take a sponge and use the rough end to scrub around the item. It will remove any paint that covers dressing and gives the perfect chipped appearance. Rubber cement might work but removing it seems tedious.
By geekyscreenname
This is my first proton pack build! Which parts do I paint each color? Base coat grey in everything? Then why kind of black do I use for the bumper, cyclotron and the rest of it? Also can I make a motherboard out of wood or should it be made of metal?

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]