Ok, so mburkit yelled at me for taking baby steps with this thread since these pictures have been on my facebook for months and a lot of people have already seen how we made the mold. So, I'm gonna knock the whole rest of the molding process out now and get to my actual pack build.
ThrowingChicken was correct, the cans are being used to make a divide in the middle of the mothermold.
Next be began fiberglassing the "jacket". Unfortunately fiberglass resin is really sticky and I had to be pretty hands on, so I didn't get a whole lot of pictures of that process as I didn't want to get any resin on the camera.
Basically we mixed small cups of resin, placed small chunks of fiberglass mat down and "patted" the resin onto the mat. You have to have some finesse for this stage and take your time to make it smooth and avoid air bubbles and voids in the mold.
The first side was done so we waited for it to cure before moving on.
I should mention that before we started applying the fiberglass we sprayed the whole thing with a mold release agent so that we'd be able to remove the fiberglass jacket after it had hardened.
The second side was just more of the same, so no need to post a bunch of pics. We started this project at about 9am and by the light of a neighbors drop lamp we finished at about 7pm. We probably would have starved to death if RedVirtue hadn't dropped by with some pizzas
So there she is, all finshed
After it had completely cured we trimmed all the loose fibers off and pulled the jacket away to see how we had done. I really like this shot, it shows the different layers pretty well.
NICE JOB WE DID!
Here's the buck after she had been freed from her fiberglass prison
And a kinda cool shot of the clay with the indent of the buck in it
We started prepping the mother mold by drilling pour holes and air holes for the silicone. You can also see that the 2 halves are clamped together with nuts/butterfly bolts.
There are 2 pour holes, one above the n-filter and one above the ppd. The idea is to place them at the highest points in the jacket. The air holes are to help keep bubbles out.
The buck was then placed back into the jacket and the jacket was screwed down onto the board that the buck was secured to (that was a mouthful).
Using more white clay we sealed off the entire perimeter of the mold.
We also made some small over flow molds since we figured there would be some leftover silicone
Ladies and Gentlemen, the incomparable, Venkman71! I have no idea what he's doing in this picture but it sure is hypnotic isn't it?
One thing that's great about living so close to Hollywood is that we have movie-quality supplies and materials available. The silicone that we used was a dream to work with.
The reason that the silicone is poured from so far away is to aerate it on it's way into the mold. This helps prevent bubbling inside the jacket. The pouring is done extremely slowly as well to give the silicone a chance to settle.
You can see how thin of a strand of silicone we allowed to enter the mold.
Ross had a perfect pour going on the first bucket until Sean hip-checked him
This was the result.
You finally get to see a picture of me actually working
This was about 5 buckets of silicone later...
As the silicone level started to reach the air holes they had to be plugged with clay.
The final stretch!
The silicone takes a full 24 hrs to cure but unfortunately because of all our schedules we had to wait a full week to meet back up. It was so exciting to finally bust this baby open though!
Wanna see what Phil did all day...
So after about 20 minutes of struggling and prying we finally had the jacket completely removed.
Now it was time to de-mold the buck
Yes, it did take 4 grown men to get the damn thing out
Right around here was were I heard a *snap*
Yup... that was it
As you can tell I was pretty upset about the damage that the buck incurred.
Buuuuut...GREAT SUCCESS, YES!!!!
So next, I'll take you through the process of casting a shell and then it's onto the fun stuff!