By Judhudson
So beautiful! I eagerly await to see you finished with it! I love the game pack look, and you're doing an amazing job thus far!

You're saving the molds, right? Any chance of doing a small run of them once yours is complete? I'm dying to rebuild my game pack and want to do it a lot better this time!
By mburkit
Judhudson wrote:So beautiful! I eagerly await to see you finished with it! I love the game pack look, and you're doing an amazing job thus far!

You're saving the molds, right? Any chance of doing a small run of them once yours is complete? I'm dying to rebuild my game pack and want to do it a lot better this time!

Yes, we still have all the molds for this thing. The biggest issue we are gonna to run into with selling people kits is there is still a TON of scratch building involved; you'd have to make your own slime tank, gun body, all the little stuff on the pack (ion arm, injector tubes, beamline and filler tube, HGA, vacuum tube, ppd) as well as all the brass work you can see on my pack already. AND lets not forget the custom electronics that would go into this. . . a kit would probably cost roughly around $1000 and you'd still have to put it together and build half of it. So at this point, we don't know if we'll do any kits because, honestly, we don't know who would be willing to pay that much and still have to do a ton of work on their own.
By Judhudson
Honestly I'm just after the shell - and bumper if it requires a bigger one. I do have an existing game pack shell from DarkJedi that I bought long ago, but it's flimsy and My first video game pack shell by him crumbled. I'd pay whatever you ask for a game shell like yours that is tough!

I can scratch build the rest :)
By mburkit
Judhudson wrote:Honestly I'm just after the shell - and bumper if it requires a bigger one. I do have an existing game pack shell from DarkJedi that I bought long ago, but it's flimsy and My first video game pack shell by him crumbled. I'd pay whatever you ask for a game shell like yours that is tough!

I can scratch build the rest :)

The shell is the ONLY thing of what we've done that we can't sell because the original deal with Vince to use the Bigi330 shell as our base shell was that we could only use it for personal use and not sell them. Sorry.
By mburkit
Mike Witt wrote:Would you be willing to share the source of the wires for the ribbon cable?
Yeah, I don't mind sharing!

I got the white w/ violet striped wire from here: WesBell Electronics

And the rest of the colored wire from here: Pacer Group

And if people are gonna be buying wire to make their own cables, I might as well give you what I felt was the pattern of colors for the cable:

White/Violet stripe - 1x
Red - 1x
Orange - 1x
Yellow - 2x
Light Green - 2x
Green - 3x
Light Blue - 2x
Blue - 3x
Violet - 2x
Pink - 1x

If you add all that up, it should be 18 wires. We made our cables 3 inches wide. If you make your own cable(s), good luck! They are a pain in the ass.
jackdoud liked this
By Hammer
I just went through this entire thread and it's so good I'm still involuntarily swearing. I think the woman is now considering having me committed. Great stuff right here.
jackdoud liked this
By mburkit
Glad you guys are enjoying the build! I guess that means I need to add a few more photos as I inch closer to the finish of the physical build of this pack.

I replaced the tips of the ribs that light up with fiberglass resin cast ones, as well as drilled the hole for and installed the clear arcolectric lamp on the side of the powercell. The N-Filter is now installed on with a hinge and spring to hold it up (patiently waiting for a servo to push it around when the pack vents) as well as the block on the crank gen that the vacuum tubes get mounted to. Lastly, there's a resin bellow on the bumper with a bracket I stole from a pop-out seal (or whatever they are called).

Its really coming down to the last few parts that go on the crank gen as well as the brass pump box on the slime tank! Once I have EVERYTHING dry-fitted, I will disassemble and actually paint this sucker the correct color. Then I need to finish up the wand. . .

Anyway, enough rambling, I hope you guys enjoy the photos!
Kingpin, jackdoud, Sephiroth and 2 others liked this
By mburkit
Dan AKA wrote:Will you be doing the deep scratch weathering that the in-game packs had?
Still debating about that. . . I personally don't like when packs have silver all over them for "weathering". I may leave the scratches off, but I might still do the oil drips from the vacuum line and clippard valve on the pack.
By mburkit
Mike Witt wrote:Have u figured out what u will be using for the clear hose thats filled with slime? Im having trouble finding a hose that wont kink when going from the booster tube to the crank gen.
I am going to be using some tubing I purchased from McMaster-Carr. It is part number: 5103K45. It is a 3/8" ID, 5/8" OD chemcial-resistant clear tygon tubing. Hopefully it holds up to whatever we end up making the slime out of.
By mburkit
I'm hoping I will have a BIG update either by the end of this week or next week, but as Jack and I work towards that, I decided to do a little research into what we could use for slime. . . we wanted to use something that was relatively pH neutral, yet would not evaporate over time and was relatively on the thicker side of "slime". Then I remembered the making of "Alien" and how they used KY Jelly for the saliva of the Alien monster! And considering what KY is usually used for, it has to be safe for coming in contact with human skin, so it hopefully won't eat through our hosing. And since it is water based, it takes food dye really well as well, without staining the hose.

And in a piece of hose:

I think I hit "gold" on my first try! I have the remaining amount of the stuff I mixed sitting out, so I can see how stable it is, or if it will evaporate on me or anything. But so far, it's looking promising!
jackdoud liked this
By mburkit
lunchbox739 wrote:So are you thinking this bad boy will be finished by labor day weekend for dragon con?
Figures crossed! I just spent over $300+ on electrical components to have some sort of lights in the pack for Dragon Con. . . sadly I don't have enough time to design circuit boards and have them printed so I'm doing it the old fashioned way: point to point on PCB from Radioshack! What could go wrong?
By julz
jackdoud wrote:
Cadger wrote:Cool!

Stable you say... Maybe it's psycho-reactive. Sing to it and see if it jumps araound. :-)
For the record, I'm not sleeping with it.
Well even if you were....At least you're using KY :roland:

Great work you guys, it's seriously looking amazing

https://i.imgur.com/cMwtW9y.jpg Where do th[…]

Ecto Containment Unit

Hey sorry I never saw this…it’s just […]

Greetings from Montana

Hey and welcome

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]