By Mike Witt
That would help out a lot, but do u mean .0625" thick or 1/16". Ill take a loot around the internet for one. Also any further info on the lable I messaged u about? Thanks for your help. Really anticipating to see the vg shells your making. Will u also be offering the add on gun box and parts as a vg pack kit?
By mburkit
Yes, sorry I meant 0.0625" or 1/16" thick brass sheeting. As for selling anything: I will not be selling anything. With how long it is taking for me to complete this project for myself, I can only imagine how horribly any sort of run from me would end up with my busy schedule. I prefer to inspire others instead of profit from them.
jimbo7 liked this
By Skully
Matt any chance of maybe releaseing your buck (if in fact your molding it in the traditional manner) to some one to make a prduction run of these after you get your shells? . . .a few people come to mind who would do your hard work justice.
By mburkit
Skully wrote:Matt any chance of maybe releaseing your buck (if in fact your molding it in the traditional manner) to some one to make a prduction run of these after you get your shells? . . .a few people come to mind who would do your hard work justice.
We'll see what happens. You guys haven't even seen it yet! Maybe its the ugliest part of the whole pack for all you know, haha.
By mburkit
Well, I'm moving closer to molding the game pack shell. I am actually making 2 molds: a movie shell mold then a game pack shell mold. This past weekend, we poured our silicone for the movie pack mold.

That was an all day event. I sadly will not have any time until next week to demold everything, so for all I know, I just wasted 100's of dollars. Once its demolded, we'll make a few pulls. I will modify one of those pulls into a game shell and do this whole process over again. So stay tuned!
By julz
Fantastic work Matt!

I can't wait to see how the pulls turn out!

Did you scratch build the buck out of styrene? I'd love to see the progression pictures!
By jackdoud
Vincenzo330 wrote:You guys were pouring the silicone from awfully close, I hope you don't end up with any bubbles.
It was necessarily small, thin streams so we should be fine. The aggrivating part is we won't be able to pull it apart and see until next week some time since Matt just HAS to go to PAXEast this weekend...
By CaptCyan
jackdoud wrote:It was necessarily small, thin streams so we should be fine. The aggrivating part is we won't be able to pull it apart and see until next week some time since Matt just HAS to go to PAXEast this weekend...
Is it next week yet?
By mburkit
CaptCyan wrote:Is it next week yet?
Sorry, we demolded and have taken 2 pulls from it already.

There's the master next to the mold. It came out without any damage.

Here's from yesterday, as TJ and I try our hands (again) at pulling a straight fiberglass shell.

Success! No bubbles like our first one had a few of.

Cleaned up and test fitting the shell for another project that I will be working on outside of the Game Pack Build. I'll probably do a build thread for that as well once that project moves along more.

My plan now is to pull another cast from the mold for myself to modify into a game pack shell then I will start the casting process all over again, hooray! Just glad this has worked out so far since none of us have made a mold this big before or cast anything in straight fiberglass. Now we got the process down, we're hopefully be cranking the next one out faster with little to no hiccups.
By mburkit
Okay, so a little bit of an update on the shell.

So, last time, you saw I cast a shell without any ribs. Well, it took me a while to get all the spots where the ribs were nice and smooth, but I eventually did it.

After that, I needed to create the extra boxes on the shell for the stasis beam upgrade.

I also started cutting the ribs out for the shell. That's the next step, getting the ribs on there, then re-texturing the whole thing and finally cast this sucker. Next update will be the shell right before it takes a silicone bath. . .

Till next time!
alphabeta001 liked this
By Raynor105
I hope I'm not too late, but I really think you should take off the N-Filter from your negative, if you want to do the vent sequence animation with your build. If not, then keep it of course. Also, I'm sure you are already doing this, make the shell all one big shell instead of multiple large pieces, because when you put it together, you will lose valuable real estate.
By mburkit
N-filter is staying on because I'm not making my pack due the full venting animation. And if you see in the photos, I left the flange on around shell so I can make a new silicone mold. That way I can pull a new cast and have tons of "real estate" inside the sucker. Its slow going though on this project as I'm doing 3 projects at once and dealing with life changes and stuff. It will get done, and it will be awesome, it's just going to take some time.
jackdoud liked this
By mburkit
So its been a while, and I haven't gotten much done, but I figured I'd share anyway!

I started to place the ribs on the shell. Its gonna take me a while to get them all on there, and the spaces filled in between the ribs and the shell. But its starting to shape up!

Now onto the wand. Mr. Tillson got me worked up about 2 weeks ago to work on my game wand some more. He made me a nice aluminum collar adapter for the end of the front handle to match the video game, as well as a frosted barrel (not shown in pics).

In this pic, you can see the huge hole I cut into the side of the gun. That's so I have space to fit electronics when I finish the additional boxes for the game wand.

I also got different brass fittings for the hose barbs. The ones on the game wand seem to have a wider sized hex shape to them with a lower over all profile. Luckily Clippard actually makes something like that.

And one last one staring down the gun itself. Notice how I enlarged the vent light holes, have different colored lens/hat lights as well as no green lever next to the trigger box. Its all in the details, my friends. . . all in the details.

I continue to struggle for time to work on this project, with a full class load for grad school, but I swear, this thing is getting done (spiny lights and all!).
XxEctOxX, Carpeteria, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
By Mr.Spider
that was the one thing that always bothered me about the VG pack,,,, the enlarged vent holes. but still, this whole think looks awesome matt
By mburkit
Another update, hooray!

I have all the ribs on the master now.

I said they're on; didn't say they were pretty yet. I still have a lot of filling and sanding to complete before this is ready to be cast, but its one step closer. Once I have everything nice and smooth, then I'll texture the shell again and get it all primered up and ready for a bath in silicone!
By mburkit
So, I have to redo the ribs on the gun mount box, because, after it was pointed out to me by ProtonCharger, those ribs in particular are 1/8" thick instead of the 1/4" thick ribs on the rest of the pack. Good thing I didn't finish sanding and filling before deciding to fix them. . .

Sugarland Express.Very early Spielberg movie,it's […]

Also probably different release dates. USA[…]

I like the camo tint. This is the one tint I would[…]

Ghostbusters Day 2024

Even if Frozen Empire somehow made a billion dolla[…]