By Alan Hawkins
Stream-Crosser wrote:Noob question what did you use to reinforce the back and the gap in the front. I know it says fiberglass but what kind/type where can you buy it ? I just got a sc shell and I'm wanting to get the right stuff to work with .
For fiberglass we got a kit from Pep-Boys for about $20. Comes with Chopmatt, resin and harder.

First I clamped it then drilled two holes on each end of the seam. I did this so I could lay it out on a flat surface. Then I put Loctite two part epoxy into the gap in the front. If you look, when you press the two parts together REAL tight the shell pulls up top and bottom. You don't want that. You want the shell to fit as flat as possible.

Once the putty was cured on the front I then filled it over and put the rest of my rivets in. Then we fiberglassed the back.

Hope this helps!
By sbonse
This is a real nice pack, especially as it's a sc shell. It just proves that with a bit of time and some skills you can make an excellent looking pack
By Alan Hawkins
Thanks everyone! Honestly, I would build one of these again. The shell has its downfalls (some parts have to be angled in such a way that they can remove it from the buck, which makes getting parts to line up correctly a bit of a chore) But, even with a layer of fiberglass the pack is not heavy like my fiberglass pack. Aficionados can always tell a vacuum form pack but the general public has no clue. Definitely a great beginners pack.
searingidolatry wrote:Loving your pack (I may be biased as I've ordered myself a SC shell). Hoping I can get mine looking half as good as yours, excellent work :)
Thank you so much! Actually just purchased myself a shell (the one in this thread was built for a friend) going to upgrade my main pack to a GB1 and make this new SC pack a GB2 parade pack (something light to wear all day).
By Riggs45
Just wanted to chime in Alan. Thanks for the detailed SC build! This is definitely top of my reference list for my upcoming SC build. Its my first, but your details, and tips have paved the way! I will be sure to fibreglass first thing. I'm glad to see you'll be doing another!
Cheers!
Alan Hawkins liked this
Riggs45 wrote:Just wanted to chime in Alan. Thanks for the detailed SC build! This is definitely top of my reference list for my upcoming SC build. Its my first, but your details, and tips have paved the way! I will be sure to fibreglass first thing. I'm glad to see you'll be doing another!
Cheers!
Thank you!

Silverstreak wrote:Looking forward to seeing the second build, this one was already high on my list of go-to reference threads.
I think I won't do a full thread since the process will be the same (and this won't be a rush project) but I will post the finished pack here. :)
By Nuked
Great stuff! I was terrified when I saw the title of the post: "My take on a studio creation pack". I was afraid you were going to blast the quality or something. I am getting ready to start my first build with a SC shell. I have no experience at all. You put a lot of detail in this thread that will help out a lot. Thanks!
Nuked wrote:Great stuff! I was terrified when I saw the title of the post: "My take on a studio creation pack". I was afraid you were going to blast the quality or something. I am getting ready to start my first build with a SC shell. I have no experience at all. You put a lot of detail in this thread that will help out a lot. Thanks!
Nope, I will never bash this shell. I think the it's a good alternative to the more expensive fiberglass shells and a great way to get started in this hobby. There are definitely some downsides (soft features, it's a tad smaller than a regular shell. Needs to be re-enforced with fiberglass.) Other than that, I would recommend it to anyone as a good starting point.

Have fun with your build! Post a thread so we can all see. :grin:
By Alan Hawkins
Made another SC pack for a friend. This was a ultra budget build and used a Matty thrower. I had to assemble in less than five days so that we could have Ernie Hudson present it to him.

Sadly I injured my back and didn't get to be there for when he got his pack. But overall, I think he's pretty happy. :grin:
By Alan Hawkins
Shell was already fiberglassed and I had made him his injector tubes, N-filter, HGA, Beam Line and Filler tubes and the hose receiver.

Saturday I cut all the windows, set up the mother board brackets and mounted the Alice frame..

Sunday attached all the parts he already had.

Monday I made his booster tube and plug, booster frame, pack plates, foot and injector receiving module. Attached everything that I made and the bumper from Wiz with one of my own bellows.

Scratch built the ion arm cap.

Tuesday got the thrower bracket mounted then stripped down for paint and painted everything.

Wednesday final assembly and labels.
Last edited by Alan Hawkins on August 16th, 2014, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By pyhasanon
Alan Hawkins wrote:even with a layer of fiberglass the pack is not heavy like my fiberglass pack.
Hey, Alan, great build! I'm thinking of building an SC pack for my wife, trying to make it as lightweight as possible... How much would you say this weighs completed?
By venkman30
Wow. Quick build. Looks great. My pack is done with a matty thrower also. I do like these ac shells. They do look pretty good and the weight is great. Mine weighs between 8 to ten pounds. But Thats just guessing tho. It's lighter then my one cat. Lol. So wearing it for long times is not that bad. But great build Alan.
By Alan Hawkins
pyhasanon wrote:
Alan Hawkins wrote:even with a layer of fiberglass the pack is not heavy like my fiberglass pack.
Hey, Alan, great build! I'm thinking of building an SC pack for my wife, trying to make it as lightweight as possible... How much would you say this weighs completed?
Easily half what my fiberglass pack weighs. Maybe less than that.
By Lewis Tully
This is awesome work! How did you manage to get the cyclotron rings to look flatter on the first pack? The SC shell is a great affordable option, but the "melted" look of the cyclotron rings always bothered me. You seem to have remedied that nicely. How did you do it?
Alan Hawkins liked this

Awesome! It's a complex but very fun build... Went[…]

Just to throw my experience in there. I've bough[…]

I haven't had Xbox Live for a while, but I'm consi[…]

I cut out the middleman and sprayed my pack and ba[…]