By bromie
#459090
Vincenzo330 wrote:I have to disagree when it comes to Jupiter's light kits. I would avoid him at all costs. Aside from the fact that he's not a community member, despite being well aware of the community, he is responsible for supplying VideoBob with all of his electronics.

Either get your lights from Crix, who has full sets in stock right now, ready to ship, or wait for te GBFans kits.

But please, if you care about our community do not support Jupiter lights.
Now i haven't been on this forum as long as you and may not know the history some people have on here, but is it really as bad as you say?

I love being able to help someone out, especially in such an informative community as this one, but i'm also someone who always empathises with people. For example, some people say they've been waiting two years for parts from FreakyGeeky and that his wait times are ridiculous. I ordered a couple of trap parts a few years ago and they arrived promptly and problem-free (and i live in the UK).
I then enquired about some thrower parts (knobs, gun track disc, s-hook, etc.) more recently, and although they weren't in the store and i thought i'd missed out (at the time the parts i were after were like unicorn crap), he was really helpful and made sure i got all the parts i wanted. He kept in constant contact and even said that he was going to make sure that i got every part i was after. Now i know that anyone could say this, but he also came through, which in my eyes makes him someone i'd happily buy from again.

Same thing with Jupiter Electronics. He has a feedback forum full of positive comments, i'd looked at his light kits and they functioned exactly how i wanted, and his prices are reasonable. I didn't even know he had a 'history' on here. Most kits i've seen have lights that weren't even on the screen-used thrower, or were prohibitively expensive for what they offered.
I've also sent Julian plenty of emails with questions about the kits, how to make modifications, part recommendations, etc., and he's always been very helpful and replied promptly and with plenty of info.

Like i said i didn't even know that Jupiter had any kind of history, especially with Videobob, so following the rules of the forum (check feedback, look at other builds, previous comments, etc.) everything seemed fine to me. By the way, doesn't VB use Crix sound kits in his packs? I might be wrong, but if it's true would you say Crix supports VB (obviously he wouldn't but you see my point)?

Now i'm not going to take sides here (no matter what suppliers i have a preference for) but i just want to play devil's advocate and put the point across about the impression we're giving members here. If someone has a valid grudge against someone then fine, i know i've had one or two problems myself with particular sellers on the forum, but i don't think it's right that someone's name is dragged through the mud because of an opinion.

I also don't see how it's entirely relevant whether a seller is a community member or not. I can see what you mean, as it's like they're keeping their discoveries to themselves, but i don't think it's the end of the world. I mean, isn't it the same reasoning, for example, with someone not wanting their pep files distributed on the forum? They put their hard work into something and for whatever reason they don't want it shared. I've seen it done here plenty of times and myself and others respect their decision, but for some reason it's wrong that Jupiter does it?

I care about the community a lot. I try to check the forum for new posts daily, and if i see anything i can answer i jump at the chance to help someone out and post a reply. I also wouldn't knowingly support people who recast or steal work from others. But i can't take a stand against something i can't see any evidence for.

Now i might be completely wrong here, but until i can see the evidence for myself i can only say "this is my opinion of..." and try to make sure that everyone is treated fairly and without bias.

Anyway, i don't want to derail the thread. I also want to make sure that anyone i've named here knows that i'm in no way saying anything against them. I've only had personal experience with a number of people and my opinion of anyone else is based on the feedback i've seen across the forum.

Dan.
User avatar
By Vincenzo330
#459091
I don't want to clutter up Hoot's thread here so after this post if you have more questions or anything we can go to pm or maybe start another topic.

First of all, To my knowledge any sound kits that VB has received from Crix were either by proxy (he had someone else buy them for him) or they aren't actually Crix kits. Replica Props among others use the same chips to store sound. I'm sure that Crix would welcome you to look through his feedback thread here and on eBay.

As far as proof, are you asking for proof that Jupiter is supplying VidoBob?

Image

It would only take you a few moments to verify that screen cap as legitimate.

I'm unclear as to what exactly you're asking when you say "but is it really as bad as you say?". But if you're asking whether or not VideoBob is as bad as he's made out to be you should probably read this - http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 32&t=27212

I cannot tell you or anyone where to spend their money but wouldn't you rather not contribute to the deconstruction of our hobby? Wouldn't you rather endorse and support sellers who reside within the community and who in turn also spend THEIR money within the community?

You're free to believe whatever you like but we're a lot stronger when we stick together.
By bromie
#459097
No, no i completely agree with you Vincenzo. I also really want the community to support its members, i just wanted to make sure that everyone's getting a fair deal in the eyes of the readers (especially new members).

I've read every page of the feedback forum Videobob has, i meant more along the lines of "is Jupiter that bad"? And i don't mean is Jupiter that bad for supporting VB, it was just the first i'd heard so comparing it to my past experience of Jupiter it seemed like a shock that he'd do something like that (or willingly). I can see for myself now what you meant, so i and others can make an informed decision on whether or not to deal with Jupiter. Maybe it would have made me think twice if i'd known before i'd bought my light kits...?

You're right i do prefer to support the community, i mean i actively look for problems that i can offer help for so i can try and give something back to the community that has given me so much.

I truly don't want to give off the wrong impression here, i just wanted to play devils advocate and make sure that suggestions are based on fact and not biased with opinion. I'm sorry if it's come across wrong, but like you said this is a build thread so i don't want to derail things.
User avatar
By Kingpin
#459098
Is it possible Jupiter honestly doesn't know about Bob's reputation?

I can't argue with the proof present there as it's conclusive, but as he isn't a member of the boards, could it be possible he's dealing with Bob and his cronies without knowing what they've been up to?
abaka, Glenn Frederick liked this
By bromie
#459100
Exactly! That's what i was trying to suggest (badly :().

I just don't like agreeing with something unless i have seen the proof for myself, and was trying to give everyone (except Vidoebob of course) a fair deal. Like you said the facts are right there, but we also don't know whether Jupiter's dealings were done so knowing of VB or his reputation.
User avatar
By Vincenzo330
#459104
I'm fairly certain due to various folks who have spoken to him in the past that he knows who and what the VB situation is. You're welcome to try contacting him about it but I'd wager that he:

A) doesn't care/want to get involved
B) asks that Bob no longer leaves feedback and continues to supply him
C) they move their business relationship to oustide of eBay

That's just my speculation but I've paid attention to how Jupiter has treated mentions of GBFans in the past and he is truly NOT a part of our community.

If this discussion is going to continue then maybe Kingpin can split this topic from out of Hoot's build thread so that we don't take it off course any further.
abaka liked this
By abaka
#459105
Kingpin wrote:Is it possible Jupiter honestly doesn't know about Bob's reputation?

I can't argue with the proof present there as it's conclusive, but as he isn't a member of the boards, could it be possible he's dealing with Bob and his cronies without knowing what they've been up to?

Jupiter may not be aware of Bobs reputation because he's not a member of this community and he probably isn't a member of this community because he doesn't care about it. Jupiter sells a lot of electronics for other props, so Ghostbusters is probably a small area of the market he's operating in and because of that he probably wouldn't care if he's selling to a guy who is detrimental to this community.

Why support someone who doesn't care about the community? Especially when the community has various different options which included superior products. I personally wouldn't buy from Jupiter because I don't like his electronic product compared to alternatives offered here, but I would always try and encourage people to support the sellers here where possible.
Vincenzo330 liked this
User avatar
By Hoot
#459122
HOLY CRAP.....

this thread....has....been highjacked.....
Dammit.

I'll post more pics tomorrow. For now; I prepare to embark on a river cruise....and imbibe in Alcohol.....(not piloting said boat).
By Letmebleed75
#459124
So you got that sarcastic joke. Def a married man lol
User avatar
By Hoot
#459126
Yes sir. Hence why I am romancing her tonight....on a boat...driven by some guy....with food and copious beverage.

I painted my MMM Filler/Beam Line tubes today. The injector tubes didn't look too bad with the hammered paint on them.

I'll see once the paint cures well.

Back later. No drunken ramblings.
User avatar
By Kingpin
#459129
Hmm, the issue of indifference is a concerning one, and does remind me of the RPF's own stance regarding Rhett.

It's disappointing, as with bromie, I'd had very good service from Jupiter (same can be said with Freaky, there was a bit of a wait, but I got my parts).


abaka wrote:Especially when the community has various different options which included superior products.
Superior in design and the level of functionality, but I have to politely disagree on the area of accuracy.

There are plenty of really nice kits out there, Exoray's being one very nice one, but for all these nice kits, there isn't a single one among them which actually recreates what we see on screen, which boggles my mind as we don't see anything too flamboyant in the movies.

Even the reproduction Ghost Trap light kits manage to get it wrong, and we see the whole sequence after Slimer's been trapped.


I'm glad that I bought my kit from Jupiter before he decided to sell them to Bob, but I will sadly withdraw my support of his products... I just hope he doesn't produce anything else I'm after.


In acknowledging how far we've gotten off topic, I'm willing to let things continue until Hoot posts his next picture update, after that point things need to return to the path of his build.

Thanks for bearing with us, Hoot.
abaka liked this
By abaka
#459138
Kingpin wrote:Hmm, the issue of indifference is a concerning one, and does remind me of the RPF's own stance regarding Rhett.

It's disappointing, as with bromie, I'd had very good service from Jupiter (same can be said with Freaky, there was a bit of a wait, but I got my parts).


abaka wrote:Especially when the community has various different options which included superior products.
Superior in design and the level of functionality, but I have to politely disagree on the area of accuracy.

There are plenty of really nice kits out there, Exoray's being one very nice one, but for all these nice kits, there isn't a single one among them which actually recreates what we see on screen, which boggles my mind as we don't see anything too flamboyant in the movies.

Even the reproduction Ghost Trap light kits manage to get it wrong, and we see the whole sequence after Slimer's been trapped.


I'm glad that I bought my kit from Jupiter before he decided to sell them to Bob, but I will sadly withdraw my support of his products... I just hope he doesn't produce anything else I'm after.


In acknowledging how far we've gotten off topic, I'm willing to let things continue until Hoot posts his next picture update, after that point things need to return to the path of his build.

Thanks for bearing with us, Hoot.
Whilst I agree that all the light kits offered here are more flamboyant than what we see on screen but I think that is due to the demand of the community wanting these features. I don't think Jupiter is offering the kit he does in an effort to please the fanatics who want the bare basic module as seen on screen, I think it's because it's the best he can do. I seriously doubt he would manage to compete with the quality of products that are offered within this community. Perhaps that is why he sticks to eBay and shuns the community, he knows he's going to get the business there and that is enough for him

Also, I contact Crix not that long ago to design a board that closer resembles the way we see the lights displayed in the film and he was happy to help and throw ideas at me. I decided to shelf that idea as I preferred to just wait for and use the GBfans sound/lights. But that shows the sellers here who offer advanced/flamboyant lights can also tone it down and offer more accurate features.
User avatar
By Hoot
#459196
My build thread is a place for debate. These types of discussions are definitely welcome here. Its educating me on the business ethics aspect of this hobby all the way from reputable sellers here down the shitter to D'Bag Bob.
I don't mind some lengthy discourse in the course of this build at all :)
abaka, Kingpin liked this
User avatar
By Kingpin
#459203
abaka wrote:I don't think Jupiter is offering the kit he does in an effort to please the fanatics who want the bare basic module as seen on screen, I think it's because it's the best he can do.
Whether he offered the kit that he did due to his technological skill or through specific intent is neither here nor there. He offered the most accurate kit to date, that's the reason I bought it.

I don't feel it's really all that fanatical to want a light kit that does what we see on screen. Somehow we managed to skip what should've been the obvious first step.
User avatar
By Hoot
#459249
Todays update.

I'm impatient and I painted my ppd injectors filler beam line and going to wait on the ion arm until I can go pick up my next shipment next week (majority of my parts are waiting at my US PO Box; shell to be delivered on monday).

Be as it may, photos will be coming of these parts this evening. I will finish my Ion Arm next week when cap is in so as to drill and tap the resistors and cap.

Cheers for now!
User avatar
By Hoot
#459268
Ok folks so here's why theres been photo update delays.
Image

Got 'er for a good deal but has cut into my week off of Proton pack work. Nonetheless; I persevere.

Using Rustoleum Hammered Black paint I did the following paint:
Image
Image
Image
Image

Yet to be worked on due to figuring out drilling and tapping points:
Image
Image

Here's the tapping kit I bought from the Big Orange Box store....Home depot.
Image

Can anyone tell me if the sizes are right for this kit to be used? I know the 1/4-20 is there but I am unsure of the rest. I know you made mention of a 1/8 NPT tap but haven't seen where to buy that bit Irricanian.
Hope this is enough pack porn for the moment.

I also was wondering - I am getting the GBFans shell next week but it will require the holes to be drilled in the N-Filter. What size are those damn holes? Vinny mentioned that he uses a Unibit...but I can't recall the damn size....
Bear with me folks I am not overly bright.

Also a bit of an FYI I tried to use primer on the Aluminum parts. That was a jackass move on my part. Just beaded right off and dripped down.... had to wipe with remover (only on the one filler tube was that used) to be able to paint again. Took a few coats but she came out looking good I think anyhow.

Thoughts? Input?

I'm all ears!
By Letmebleed75
#459274
I agree. I did my first pack in hammered black and wish I hadn't. I'd sand em and do them in satin black
Hoot liked this
User avatar
By Hoot
#459278
So .... a satin finish or a flat?

Also: Appreciate the input. I don't care about the additional work that I just made for myself. I really enjoy the input from my colleagues and those who are actually interested.

Thanks again guys!!!
User avatar
By Vincenzo330
#459281
I personally prefer satin, I think it matches what we see on screen best.

What you have to worry about now, unfortunately, is a chemical reaction between the hammered and satin paints. I'm sorry to say that unless you COMPLETELY strip the hammered paint off and clean the metal with acetone, there's a very good chance that your next spray will "orange peel".

I'm sorry I didn't catch it sooner but at least you hadn't painted EVERYTHING yet.
Hoot liked this
User avatar
By Hoot
#459283
True that mate. I'll do what I can to get it stripped down. I've got some acetone in the garage... I'm pissed at myself but also laughing at myself for not reading more before going ahead like that.

I take this as a learning opportunity I suppose. Hooray! Now I can get high as a mfkr stripping paint LMAO ;)
Vincenzo330 liked this
By Letmebleed75
#459287
Don't worry man. Paints the worst. I used 300 grit sanding sponges when I took my first layer off u aluminum parts and it worked like a dream. Then acetone wash it and clean them really good and you should be set. Satin is what I did my current build in and it's beautiful
Vincenzo330, Hoot liked this
User avatar
By Vincenzo330
#459306
Hoot wrote:I also was wondering - I am getting the GBFans shell next week but it will require the holes to be drilled in the N-Filter. What size are those damn holes? Vinny mentioned that he uses a Unibit...but I can't recall the damn size....
Bear with me folks I am not overly bright.
I thought you were asking me about the hole that the Ribbon Cable passes through. For the N-Filter holes they should be 1/2". You definitely want to use a unibit and GO SLOW because gelcoat can splinter if you're too rough when drilling.
Hoot wrote:Done and done. Sanded with said sponges bathed in acetone and dried now its been hit with satan....errrr Satin...
Damn you work fast! ==6
Hoot liked this
User avatar
By Hoot
#459307
irricanian wrote:Canadian Tire sells the 1/8 NPT taps separately Hoot
Thanks; Head there tonight after I pick the wife up.
For anyone interested; never let your wife drive your new truck as her first vehicle to drive. HOLY f****..... LOL
User avatar
By Hoot
#459308
Vincenzo330 wrote: I thought you were asking me about the hole that the Ribbon Cable passes through. For the N-Filter holes they should be 1/2". You definitely want to use a unibit and GO SLOW because gelcoat can splinter if you're too rough when drilling.
Ok good to know. Do you use a drill unibit or a dremel attachment? (and you DID say a 1/2" unibit for the ribbon cable hole....riiiiiiiiight? lol)
Vincenzo330 wrote:
Hoot wrote:Done and done. Sanded with said sponges bathed in acetone and dried now its been hit with satan....errrr Satin...
Damn you work fast! ==6
Yes I certainly do sir. Its amazing when you dont have to go do adult related employment shit for a week. Sadly, Im off to work sunday night on deployment for 3 days for training. Gotta love it. My shell wont be delivered until Monday it would appear but considering I was watching the shipping on the UPS tracker; and then hearing that a dam was on the verge of breaking....in the city in which it was located and the tracker hadn't updated until this morning...I just about shit a chicken LMAO

I will update the photos for your approval sir when they are all dried up. I will keep an eye for this orange peel bi'ness you're jiving about man.

Thanks for your help today; and soon to be in the future LOL
User avatar
By Hoot
#459311
Oh here's a few more questions to throw your way:

For the size of the hex bolts for the resistors on the ion arm; what size hole and tap do I need there?

And on your HGA; the tap size is?

I am likely the most annoying human being in the world but just gotta figure this shit out right before I go blasting holes in shit all over creation.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 19

https://i.ibb.co/hCPGQvN/20201022-220405.jpg

I'm so pleased someone finally got some use out […]

Just to clarify. Why did you replace the clear h[…]

Well, the lower strobing light seems to just be fo[…]