I was going to wait but there's no better motivation than tracking a build as you go, so here we are. I'm not going for 100% accurate with this build, going for more of a "representation of a piece of science-fiction equipment" ™*. That being said, by no means will it be a hastily rushed, thrown together in a night build; I'm going for a clean look but I'm getting ahead of myself!
For the time being, I will be using a matty thrower on it (mind you, I won't be modding it) but down the road I may upgrade to a better piece of kit. I ordered a bunch of resin parts (bumper, misc etc) from Nick-a-tron's website which I am in no rush for (I stress that with everything; I figure he keeps pretty busy! That's why we source parts in January ) Lighting is from Jupiter Electronics; it'll be wired to a switch attached on the frame...same story with the battery; it'll be mounted on the frame as well...near the bottom, out of sight! Might use an RC battery down the road.
The ion arm and injector tubes I'll build from...steel..As the steel thickness will be around 1/16" and having only the end caps 1/8" thick to accept more threading, they shouldn't be to heavy. The mounting brackets for the shell I'll probably end up cutting from 2 x 2" x either 3/16" or 1/4" angle. Motherboard spacers I'd like to cut from aluminum flatbar, but I haven't decided on that detail yet. Pack shell is the gbfans one as well as the motherboard and other misc parts. A bit of cleanup here and there on the shell and motherboard, but nothing out of the norm! I think that's pretty much all I have to say for now regarding planning!
So the hardest part for me regarding projects is picking a starting point...so I decided to start with the part I was dreading...drilling the holes in the n-filter! I used a unibit and of all things, teflon bike chain lube which worked like a charm. I did end up chipping one hole, but at least it was the ignorant one; nothing a little bondo can't fix closer to completion!(of which I've never done before...should be a learning experience!)
I used a dewalt 3/8" drill to drill the holes. I like the dewalt because the trigger is really nice for controlling the drilling speed! I ran the drill at maybe 1 revolution a second and let the bit do the work. at each step on the drill bit, I ran it backwards for a revolution or two before continuing forwards. It was surprisingly effective! A few fuzzies of death on the inside, but nothing that couldn't be sanded out! The Uni-bit came from a Canadian store that also sells Tires.
Go get em, roomba!
The aforementioned chip; one out of nine isn't bad!
Now to clean up the holes, you could use a round file, maybe a dremel...Personally I prefer to use the handyman's secret weapon,..
Sandpaper taped to a pen.
Not pretty, but it did the job! Could use a bit more sanding, but good enough for now.
That's all for now! The injector tubes and mounting angles are next! We'll probably drill some holes in the Mil-Spec Alice Pack as well!
*not a real ™...more for comedic effect.