Gonna change out the neck foam... I did that about a year ago, and it's quite uncomfortable... Will use two foams of different diameters, similar to what they did in GB2... I have it on my plastic pack, and it's very comfortable... May even switch out the LC-1 straps for my LC-2 padded straps that I got from Nick... Still thinking about that one... Will keep the LC-1 waist strap, though... I like the thinner look over the thicker LC-2...
YES!!!!! So glad to see this thread get updated!!! Looks great!
Progress for the evening - Ion Arm and End Cap installed! This took a lot longer than I expected it to, was hoping to get more done tonight... The two leftmost bolts were so close to the fiberglass wall interior that it was a pain in the ass to get it in there without chipping the wall... Well, it's holding... Now, onward to bed! =D

Hey, guys! So, what's the best way to find the center of this booster tube?
I won't lie - I was ballsy. I lined up the tube on the shell where I was going to place it and used a pencil to mark its final position on the EDA, then across the top to the top of shell and used a straight edge to draw a line up the slope to the back wall then from slope up to top marking. Verified it being square and level then blew two holes (by drilling...not by bang bang LOL) in the shell on the back wall. From there; I used a clamp to hold in position (I was real gentle with the pressure) and drew two pilot hole positions on the tube while it was held in position, verified again it was square and lined up with all my marks then removed, clamped and drilled slowly for my two holes. Tapped, mounted. DONE.

Damn....Made that sound much more difficult than it had to be.
Well, 13 hours in, and it's definitely a Proton Pack... I decided not to document much on it, because (1), I really don't have the time to document each and every detail, (2) I'm beginning to realize I don't really have the skill for this, so it wouldn't be much anyways, and (3) the techniques I'm using are all very similar to what has already been posted before... Special thanks to Jay, Julz, Grimmy, Hoot, and Hijacker, for all of the valuable build threads I was able to feed off of, and not to forget the insane amount of reference photos on the GBFans site...

And here it is so far... I'm sure something in there is crooked or positioned slightly off, but it's not like the original packs were perfectly aligned... ;)

Man that's pretty! What do you mean you haven't got the skill for it?!? Your picture alone says different. If you didn't have the skill then your pack would be in pieces. Believe in yourself dude, I know we sure do.

PHIL, PHIL, PHIL, PHIL
pyhasanon wrote:So, this unexpectedly arrived in the mail today!

I'm especially looking forward to the thrower build. I got my eye on a TC kit.
seriously can't wait to see this bad boy finished!!!
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Man that's pretty! What do you mean you haven't got the skill for it?!? Your picture alone says different. If you didn't have the skill then your pack would be in pieces. Believe in yourself dude, I know we sure do.

PHIL, PHIL, PHIL, PHIL
I took a lot of short cuts, and there are stuff hidden that you don't see... If anything, I have a skill at hiding my mistakes and covering them up... LOL!
Grimmy GB wrote:Phil! Dude...the feats are overly smashing! You've done more in 1 day than 3 months for me! Just wow...!
I'm in a lot of pain, though... It's both frustrating, physically and mentally, but it's also very addicting... If it wasn't for a pounding headache and the late hours, I probably would have kept going through the night...
Hijacker wrote:Looking great brother! Just be glad you're not foing a 15 hour cram session to get her ready for a con. That really sucks!
Well, that was a 13-hour cram session, part of a 2-week cram session to get this ready for the St Patty's Day Parade in Boston... I just wish I could paint it... If anything, that is the main part that I don't want to rush... That, and the electronics... I may just do temp mounts for all the electronics, I don't think I can do all the electronics in the two weeks frametime... We shall see...

Annnndddd...

...took a little bit of a break this morning and got back to it later in the afternoon, and this is where I ended up for the evening... Not bad for one weekend... Followed the Ribbon Cable twist from the 1984 photos that Shawn Marshall took of the GB1 Hero pack (which I believe was the Spengler pack), and the rest from the Omni pack... I can't help but think my bumper is crooked, but at this point, it frustrate me too much to try and fix it... I'll leave it be for now until my OCD really kicks in... for now, I'll leave it as something of a distinction as my pack... LOL!

Thanks, Conor! I really appreciate hearing it from your perspective, I know how dead on you've studied these shells...
Electronics - Phase 1... Working on a template for the cyclotron reflectors... Started off with poster board for fitting and testing and will transfer to Sintra/PVC Foamcore... If you look closely, you can see I already mounted the Powertec OEM Power Supply (just for looks, not functional)... Was hoping to get more done in time for Harold's Death Anniversary, but this will do, I'm happy with today's progress...

Kingpin liked this
2 speakers... one 6-1/2" speaker (that's already mounted in the photos), and a 4" speaker...

Trying to figure out how to keep the venting mechanism on the mobo side... Been brainstorming the whole time I was making the poster board template...
That is going to be LOUD, like pumpin' loud. I run 1 6-1/2 speaker and my pack vibrates massively.

Coming up with a process for the vent mechanism will be tricky but I'm sure you'll do it. It'll certainly be a first on here mate. Good luck
I have yet to test how loud it is mounted onto the pack, but will definitely have to bolt everything down first... right now everything is only finger tight...
I've found that rubber washers help dampen the vibrations too. May be worth picking some up mate. Really enjoying watching this come together man
alphabeta001 liked this
I hope you figure out a mobo mounting method for the venting system. Mine was so convoluted, I scrapped it. Everything still looking great!!
thebigone2087 wrote:I hope you figure out a mobo mounting method for the venting system. Mine was so convoluted, I scrapped it. Everything still looking great!!
I'm almost sure of a method. Would involve trimming and a gasket or 2.
Venkman's Swagger wrote:I've found that rubber washers help dampen the vibrations too. May be worth picking some up mate. Really enjoying watching this come together man
Oooh, I like that idea! Thanks! =D
Sintra/PVC Foamboard cut using the template I made last night and reflectors installed with frosted clear lenses... Shaping up nicely!

Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]