ok here i go posting, you know if i post its gonna be a question! lol

so i started reading posts and when julz posted this
julz wrote:Nice phill

Make sure you get those ceramic sockets with the extra long wires.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/70cm-Cer ... 28044.html

All the ones I got were way too short and didn't make it all the way to the the red switch with out needing to have extension wires soldered on... pain in the ass and not as sturdy. Plus make sure you can get some of the red thrower tubing noslit is selling. It's got a much larger interior to allow that wire to feed through from the acrylic tip to the push switch.

i then followed the link julz posted about the wiring and now i am alittle confused, so now i went and read these posts
pyhasanon wrote:
35FT_TWINKIE wrote:Whoa whoa whoa, Julz and Pyhas, pump the brakes! Ceramic light sockets...centimeters...did I miss something here? What exactly are these to be used for?
Flash bulbs... Check out the following:
Mburkit's Hero Stantz Pack Build: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 30#p439582
...and, of course, Julz's build: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 90#p463728
so my questions are,

1) the original guns had this flash blub at the tip?

2) legends pack (featured in a post above) made his tip like the original?

3) julz and phil are u using the original wiring harness/plug but using a super bright multi LED and then gluing the hollowed flash tip on the LED?

4) if all the above are correct, how do u u adapt the LED tip to the original plug?

5) is my post all screwed up and too confusing? im gonna go back and edit it
I'm going to answer these to the best of my abilities:
halliwax wrote: 1) the original guns had this flash blub at the tip?

2) legends pack (featured in a post above) made his tip like the original?
You can refer to this thread for answers... http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =2&t=22914
Legend, Mburkit and Julz based their designs on the original design...
halliwax wrote: 3) julz and phil are u using the original wiring harness/plug but using a super bright multi LED and then gluing the hollowed flash tip on the LED?
Julz documents in his build on how he dremeled off the tip of a flash bulb and retrofitted a LED with the flash bulb tip to make it look like the ones used in the original packs... The flash bulbs are single use bulbs... Once they go off, you have to discard them and change them out... Julz's version allows it to be bright and flashy, but is somewhat "permanent"... I'm not sure which version I will use, but I assume the socket will allow for both... Matt or Julz can chime in and correct me if otherwise...
halliwax wrote: 4) if all the above are correct, how do u u adapt the LED tip to the original plug?
To my knowledge, the LED that Julz used will fit the socket with no need to modify the bulb and/or socket... The vintage flash bulbs, however, must be tweaked in order to plug into the sockets...
halliwax liked this
thanks phil for the links! i dont know how u get the search button to work so well for you, everytime i use it its weird. sometimes it works great, othertimes (tonight for a example) she stays at the "loading" status..

thanks for the info!!

edit: just finished, excellent reading!! that explains allot! now another big debate, after the bulb has flashes does the orange light stay on to indicate its blown?... reminds me of a few hours ago while i was reading the "hocky puck" thread!! lol

excellent, i love learning about this stuff!!
halliwax wrote: just finished, excellent reading!! that explains allot! now another big debate, after the bulb has flashes does the orange light stay on to indicate its blown?... reminds me of a few hours ago while i was reading the "hocky puck" thread!! lol

Honestly, I don't think the orange hat light stays on after the bulb is blown considering there only appears to be 2 wires running under the front grip to the the orange hat light, flash bulb and push button at the end of the front handle. I'm no electrical engineer by and stretch of the imagination, but I don't know how they would wire that up to work like that with only a positive and a ground wire running up there. I know Bigi71 had done it with a latching relay but then you would have to "reset" the circuit every time you put a new bulb in. . . its way easier just to have power running up to that push button and then having the flash bulb and the orange hat light wired in parallel and call it a day.

And if you read through that thread that was posted, there is only one time you see the orange hat light on without the button be pushed but to anyone that has used those shitty plastic push buttons, they can get "stuck" from time to time, especially if you didn't do the best job cutting a hole in the heat shrink wrap that is around them on that front gun ear and THAT is probably all that happened. Its just my opinion though, and I could be completely wrong, haha.
mburkit wrote:its way easier just to have power running up to that push button and then having the flash bulb and the orange hat light wired in parallel and call it a day.
Much agreed, it would be overly complicated otherwise... Running those two in parallel sounds good enough for me, and besides, since those bulbs are single use only, it's a trick that I will use only for show... and I might make a LED bulb like Julz did as well, switching them out depending on my mood... LOL!

Thanks for the additional information, Matt!
So, these came in from noslliT, pretty cool stuff, can't wait to test them when I get to them!

And, amazingly, these just came in from China... hella quick shipping, quite impressed...

While I'm not an experienced builder whatsoever, it seems 150mm is quite long... I guess I will see once I get to that portion of my build... Not sure how long of a cable I will need to get from the socket, through the acrylic wand/trigger tips, through the banjo, through the red nylon hose, through another banjo, and into the gun ear...
Gave it a try, bent the pins of the flash bulb and popped them in the socket... add a 9V battery and POP! Looks like a good test... Please excuse the shaky hands... also, I need to remind myself to hold my cellphone landscape style, and not portrait...

Thanks... still got a long way to go, just gathering the small stuff and doing more research in the meantime...
Haha! I should have just come here to see what type of flash bulbs you got! Duh!

So what have you got planned? What parts do you think you're going to go with or is it a secret? ;)
Secret? Not really... Going through Vincenzo330 for most of my aluminum parts (great looking parts, and gotta support a fellow Aegis technician), bought a bunch of stuff from GBFans during its membership sale (electronics, aluminum knobs/heatsink/gun track), and probably all the other little stuff from Freaky Geeky and Nickatron... Just need the money now, and I won't have all that until October...
Alright, new updates! Got lots of stuff today!

Made sure I got in the first run of Vent Relays, so that came in, and while I was at it, ordered more stuff from Doug...

And, of course, took advantage of my 15% off in the membership sales on GBFans! Got some help from Vincenzo330 on recommendations, since I'm getting most of my stuff from him...

My free set of 6-1/2" speakers! These things are LOUD!!!

LEDs and Reflectors... LEDs will be used for something else later... not sure yet, but they were cheap, so why not...

...and, what's this? Hmmm... not sure what to do with it yet... The originals only had these for when they were on display in Planet Hollywood, but I might use it... Might be a great place to hide other circuitry, such as volume potentiometers and manual vent switches... We will see when I get there... It was $25, so I was like, why not?

Putting it all together!!!
alphabeta001 liked this
pyhasanon wrote:...and, what's this? Hmmm... not sure what to do with it yet... The originals only had these for when they were on display in Planet Hollywood, but I might use it... Might be a great place to hide other circuitry, such as volume potentiometers and manual vent switches... We will see when I get there... It was $25, so I was like, why not?

I'm pretty sure the Murray pack had that during the filming of Ghostbusters one, there was a thread that discussed this recently. But not all packs had one.
Last edited by Kingpin on July 12th, 2014, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Removed unnecessary quoted images
Apparently, I had the wand lights board dip switch settings wrong, so the wand tip wasn't flashing the appropriate colors... talked with Doug, and he set me straight! LOL! Thanks, Doug, great customer service as always!
ovwthrillseekr wrote:Looking forward to seeing this complete!
You and me both, bro! Ahhhrrgghh!!! October seems so far away... I want my shell and aluminum parts and get this started! =D
abaka wrote:I'm pretty sure the Murray pack had that during the filming of Ghostbusters one, there was a thread that discussed this recently. But not all packs had one.
I'm fairly sure Murrary's pack didn't have one of these during gb1...

There are a few shots of Bills pack side on where that detail would stick out but I can't spot it.

I'll see if I can dig out a few more...
Either way, it was just an idea for hiding miscellaneous switches and stuff that I don't mount on my SwitchCraft shelf... not sure yet if I will use it or not... that's probably one of the last things I throw on if I choose to do so...

Plus, it adds a significant amount of weight to the pack, so that's something to consider as well...
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Finally made a significant update today (well, other than putting my electronics together and testing...)!

Well, first off, forgot to mention that I have two of these! Suggested to me by Julz (which was suggested to him by mburkit)... They're great, and they even have a 5V USB Output, I guess if I ever needed to charge my phone in an emergency... ;) If you're interested in these, you can find them here: http://www.usledsupply.com/shop/12v-bat ... 00mah.html

Also, I wired my second speaker in series with the other one, and now it's loud as all hell! Love it, really rumbles, too... maybe a little too much... gotta figure out a way to suppress that when I install it on my mobo... I want it loud, but not to rattle... Dynamat maybe?

So, onto my update, got this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EVB9IZC) in the mail today! 5/8" OD acrylic rod, fits nice in snug in the Acrylic Wand Tip! I went straight to my dremel, cut a 1/2"-ish piece off, and started to dig a hole just enough to fit my ceramic LED sockets into nice and snug, and have enough space to fit the wire back up through it...

Notice also that I cut the tip off of one of my flash bulbs, following the technique Julz used (http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 90#p463728)... Mine luckily didn't pop like his did, but I was anticipating it, just in case...

Here's a close up of the shape of the hole I dug out with a dremel...

..and then with the socket and LED inserted...

...inserted into the Acrylic Wand Tip...

Turned off...

...and then simulated how it would look when firing... Still working with Doug on getting this LED to work with the GBFans Wand electronics kit AUX port (the LED requires more than the 5V supplied by the AUX port)... Once I get the stuff he suggested to me in the mail, wired up and working, I will document it here...

Just waiting till I get some banjos and a trigger tip, along with the stuff Spongeface suggested to me to get the LED to work, not to mention the ceramic sockets with longer leads (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/70cm-Cer ... 28044.html) and this will be ready to go for installation in my build once I get all the big stuff in October! Woohoo!!! =D

Special thanks once again to Matt, Julz and Doug for helping me out on this part...
alphabeta001 liked this
julz wrote:
abaka wrote:I'm pretty sure the Murray pack had that during the filming of Ghostbusters one, there was a thread that discussed this recently. But not all packs had one.
I'm fairly sure Murrary's pack didn't have one of these during gb1...

There are a few shots of Bills pack side on where that detail would stick out but I can't spot it.

I'll see if I can dig out a few more...

You're right. I looked up the thread where this was discussed, it was establishing the switchcraft connector was present during filming.

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =2&t=26912

Although it makes me wonder why they painted it black if it was only added for planet Hollywood display only.
The 5V is an secondary USB output... it's primary output is 12V, which is what I have running to the GBFans soundboard... currently, nothing is connected to the USB output...

The issue with the LED is that the AUX connectors on the GBFans wand board only outputs 5V... not enough for the LED... for my testing, I connected it to a 9V battery, but had no interaction with the board... what I'm planning to have it for is have it flash the bulb at the beginning of each firing sequence, which is what the AUX connection is designed to do (or what you can tell it to do by selecting the correct DIP switches)...
pyhasanon wrote:The 5V is an secondary USB output... it's primary output is 12V, which is what I have running to the GBFans soundboard... currently, nothing is connected to the USB output...

The issue with the LED is that the AUX connectors on the GBFans wand board only outputs 5V... not enough for the LED... for my testing, I connected it to a 9V battery, but had no interaction with the board... what I'm planning to have it for is have it flash the bulb at the beginning of each firing sequence, which is what the AUX connection is designed to do (or what you can tell it to do by selecting the correct DIP switches)...

Ohhhhhh......COOL!
pyhasanon wrote:The 5V is an secondary USB output... it's primary output is 12V, which is what I have running to the GBFans soundboard... currently, nothing is connected to the USB output...

i have to pay very close attention to this part, i to want to do the same exact thing your doing

so far your thread is amazing, gathering all the right pieces and parts, great job so far!!

i justwent back to the first page, i read so many threads i forgot what shell you are using, have you decided what shell your going with?
halliwax wrote:i justwent back to the first page, i read so many threads i forgot what shell you are using, have you decided what shell your going with?
I will be getting most of my stuff (shell, aluminum pack parts and wand) from Vincenzo330... He has good products, good support, he's a good friend and mentor, and he was a former Navy Aegis technician, which is what I am doing now in the Navy, so he helped pave the way to where I am now, so mucho kudos to him for that, even if he probably doesn't think of it that way... ;)

By the way, for those continuously curious about the "Secondary 5V USB Output" that's been mentioned a couple of times, here is what the battery looks like where everything plugs in... You can see the ON/OFF switch, the 12V output that is currently connected to the GBFans Soundboard, and then the 5V USB port...

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]