By Kingpin
Kevin Dawe wrote: October 28th, 2019, 6:22 am What are those cyclotron "dimples" for? I'm doing research for my first pack build and I've not seen them on any reference pictures I've seen yet.
These are the "dimples":

There's a set of them on each ring surrounding the four red lights on the Cyclotron. As far as we've been able to speculate this is a lingering trace of an earlier Proton Pack assembly option, possible a plate mounted on the spot in place of the familiar Bumper.
Allghostsmatter liked this
By Kevin Dawe
Oh that’s cool, so then it’s an aesthetic choice for someone looking to do an accurate GB1 hero pack? I think all the reference photos I’ve seen so far where that area is visible have been GB2 packs, so I’m guessing that’s why I didn’t see those.
By Kingpin
I'd have to go through the reference gallery again, but I'm reasonably sure it's visible on the fibreglass semi-hero GBII Pack that used to be on-display in Sony's Burbank headquarters, as the semi-heroes were cast from a fibreglass GBI Proton Pack.
By Prologic9
The 'dimples' on the original Packs were empty threaded holes. We know they were on Egon's and Venkman's Pack. They are not on the Hero Pack, and it's possible they aren't on other packs as well, we don't have reference for them.

Venkman's Pack had various spots filled in to make the mold for the GBII semi heroes. That's what you see in the above picture, and why they're white. That's the only pack that looks this way. You can see the remnants of them in the GBII castings.
Kevin Dawe wrote: October 28th, 2019, 5:44 pm Wow, sounds like a lot of variation. So only the semi-hero packs had them? Were they not on any of the hero packs from GB1 or 2?
The Venkman and Spengler Hero packs definitely had the holes, while the Super Hero pack does not; it's unclear as to whether or not the Stantz and Zeddemore/Omni Hero packs had them as well. Since the GB2 semi-hero packs were cast from a mold made from the Venkman Hero pack, those packs all have the clayed-up holes cast into the cyclotron rings. Here's a better view of the placement of said holes on the Spengler semi-hero pack for anyone interested in recreating them.

By Kevin Dawe
Wow, I didn't even notice the dimples in that picture until I looked closely, and that's a super closeup lol. Maybe I just overlooked them in the GB2 reference photos I was looking at before. How many different packs were made for GB1 anyway? Hero, Semi-Hero, Super-hero, Stunt, any others? How many of each? Just trying to understand all this wonderful prop work lol.
Kevin Dawe wrote: October 28th, 2019, 7:04 pm Wow, I didn't even notice the dimples in that picture until I looked closely, and that's a super closeup lol. Maybe I just overlooked them in the GB2 reference photos I was looking at before. How many different packs were made for GB1 anyway? Hero, Semi-Hero, Super-hero, Stunt, any others? How many of each? Just trying to understand all this wonderful prop work lol.
There were five GB1/GB2 Hero Packs, four GB2 Semi-Hero Packs, and and several stunt packs used between both films.
By Kevin Dawe
Awesome, so the five hero packs from GB1 were all refitted for GB2? And what about the “super hero” that was mentioned? Was that just one pack built to a very high standard used only for very close up shots of the pack?
By Kingpin
Kevin Dawe wrote: October 29th, 2019, 3:21 amAnd what about the “super hero” that was mentioned?
The Super Hero is one of the five mentioned. That one received the same cosmetic modifications the other GBI Heroes received.

It was the only Pack to have a Proton Gun that was fully animated. The others only had static bargraphs.
A couple of smaller unique details are that the Super Hero is also the only GBI pack to have an orange recessed hatlight, and to have black paint on some of the knobs on the heatsink side.
By Kevin Dawe
Oh ok, I gotcha. So the super hero served the same purpose for closeups of the pack in both movies?

Also, is there a known number of stunt packs, or is it just known that there were several of them made? They were cast with rubber shells right? So is any pack made with a fiberglass shell either a hero, semi-hero or super-hero?
By Kingpin
Because of their appearance during the earthquake, the final battle with Gozer and the aftermath, we can conclude there's at least four foam stunt packs as each Ghostbuster is wearing one (and it's likely one of these was worn by Bill when he was rolling around on the floor after getting slimed). Whether there were any more is open to speculation. These are easily identifiable by the flipped Ion Arm (see below - top image), the static lights, the very different style of straps (see below - middle and bottom images), and the absense of a metal A.L.I.C.E. frame (observe the Packs worn by Ernie and Harold in the bottom pic, they're wearing stunt packs.):

-It should be noted that the GBI stunt pack pictured in the first photo appears to have had a refit at some point, which has given it an A.L.I.C.E. frame.

Another shot of the stunt packs:

In comparison, the stunt proton Packs used in Ghostbusters II have fewer cues to easily work from: the Ion Arm is identical in orientation to the semi-heroes and hero Packs, and they appear to have been equipped with A.L.I.C.E. frames.

Because they look so much closer to the non-stunt packs, it's not as easy to work out where they show up in the film, though it's reasonable to assume the packs worn by Bill and Harold when they've been zapped by Vigo are stunt packs.

So that's at least two stunt packs we can make a safe guess of (I'm willing to stretch that to four, but it's less easy to prove with any degree of certainty.

One of the stunt packs from Ghostbusters II has been spotted a couple of times in the wild, it first appeared in an auction a few years back (some photos of it here), and it eventually entered the collection of the Museum of Pop Culture:

alphabeta001 liked this
By Kingpin
Allghostsmatter wrote: June 12th, 2022, 4:38 pm What does "hero pack"?
"Hero Packs" were the Proton Pack props that you saw for most of the movie, these were fibreglass shells with metal detail pieces and had full lighting, most of which was animated (either scrolling, rotating or flashing).

This is opposed to the "Stunt Packs", which were made of foam, had thicker straps, and only had very basic lighting electronics (just the four red cyclotron lights in the first movie, and they didn't rotate).

A futher prop featured in Ghostbusters was the "Super Hero", this was a prop that had the same light functionality in the Pack section, but had an additional scrolling bargraph in the Proton Gun lights that wasn't present on any other Pack prop.

Ghostbusters II Introduced the term "Semi-Hero", these were fibreglass Packs which looked very similar to Hero props (but had some details filled in as part of the process for how they were made). These Pack props had a very simplified set of Proton Gun lights.

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]