Haha! Way ahead of ya, I already did and his appears to work the same way as mine. But at one point while I was getting the lights set up it the light stayed on. I just don't know how I did it.

You can see it in the bottom right.
As far as I know, the orange light on the ear is a toggle. You set the state (on or off) in standby mode (pack powered down, vent light turned on) by pressing the ear button. I haven't seen it do anything else but I run in movie mode.
Grimmy GB liked this
By Grimmy GB
bishopdonmiguel wrote:As far as I know, the orange light on the ear is a toggle. You set the state (on or off) in standby mode (pack powered down, vent light turned on) by pressing the ear button. I haven't seen it do anything else but I run in movie mode.
How do I like this post more than once? :cool:
bishopdonmiguel liked this
Okay, what the hell?!

I come back today to start organizing cable and without touching anything since last night NOW I get zero audio.

What happened? Everything was working fine last night. I've been at this for well over 90 minutes and I can't figure it out
By pyhasanon
Also, your sound chip is Electrostatic Discharge-sensitive... so be careful sometimes when touching your soundboard after like walking on a rug/carpet... Touch your aluminum mobo before touching your soundboard, just to be on the safe side...
pyhasanon wrote:Also, your sound chip is Electrostatic Discharge-sensitive... so be careful sometimes when touching your soundboard after like walking on a rug/carpet... Touch your aluminum mobo before touching your soundboard, just to be on the safe side...
Oh crap, if that's the case is it ka-put?!
Yeah so no luck after carefully hooking everything back up.

I'm lost.

By pyhasanon
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

csullivan1980 wrote:Oh crap, if that's the case is it ka-put?!
Oh, no, not at all, replacement chips are like $3 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/121460259041)... but you will need to purchase the soundboard programmer ($20 here on GBFans - http://www.gbfans.com/shop/electronics/ ... rogrammer/) so you can re-install the sounds... Good news there is that you can personalize your sounds after that if you so wish...

However...
csullivan1980 wrote:Image
...I would try to get a nice soldering iron and make some good connections... Anything loose can cause problems...
The only downside to that solution is I don't have a PC. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
By pyhasanon
Well, we don't really know if that's the issue, though, so I wouldn't wrap my head around that yet... check you connections first and see if you have anything loose...
By csullivan1980
What I've learnt build a TC Kit VH3

So after many hours of trying to unsuccessfully troubleshoot my GBFans Soundboard problem I've decided to put it down, walk away and reach out to the maker. I'm going to go to my local Radio Shack see if I can't find some decent connectors for the speaker, pick up a multimeter and a cheap soldering iron. Not exactly sure what I'll plan to do but figure best have some of the equipment on hand if I need it.

But besides that I wanted to write about my experience building the TC VH3 KIT.

The Kit:

First of all this kit is a great way to have a screen accurate looking thrower and not break the bank. Though I sing its praise the kit has some design flaws which I hope will be improved upon in future versions.

Pros:
1. Great price.

2. Excellent, screen accurate look and feel.

3. It is resin and can easily be patched using epoxy putty or steel stick*.

4. Pre-drilled hole dimples, great for accurate placement of parts.

Cons:
1. Fragile; It is resin, dropping it is NOT an option.

2. Easy drilling, but once it makes it's way through the hole it has a PULL to it. So, be extremely careful when drilling! When I drilled the hole for the red indicator the it managed to pull the drill more than I wanted. This lead to me cracking the bottom of the instrument panel. Fortunately I used epoxy putty to fix it.

3. Pre-drilled dimples for base plate and instrument panel are good but I highly recommend using a drill/tap set. I put 6-32 wood inserts for extra security since when I tapped the hole the resin caked up on the drill bit making the hole smooth and unusable.

Outside of the Pros/Cons there were other flaws that I think come with building a thrower but might be universal across any type of thrower type (metal, aluminum, etc.). For example, the very tight working space inside the gun body. I'm actually for once happy that I have small hands and could manage okay with fitting parts.

TC Kit & GBFans Wand Light Kit:
Before I ordered by TC kit I got the upgrade switch kit from the GBFans store knowing that the ones that came with the GBFans Wand kit didn't fit, but even the upgrade kit had some installation problems.

1. The "activate" switch wasn't a problem to install since the "U" shape resin piece that holds it to the instrument panel slides out. This gave me easy access inserting it into place, but the it just touches the bottom of the trigger box. The "Intensify" button was the biggest pain. Other members said that it doesn't fit, while this is true I got mine to fit without having to cut into the back of the trigger box. What worked for me was that I used a Dremel 194 bit and gradually opened the hole to fit but most importantly gridded down the under side of the hole. This allow the button to be inserted at a 45 degree angle, but this required some force. I'm not going to lie I was afraid I was going to break it. Fortunately I did not but I'm calling this "LUCK"; so, I would suggest if you have some soldering skills have a smaller button ready.

2. Once the buttons were installed the trigger box no longer rests next up to the instrument box. There is maybe a couple mm between the trigger box/instrument panel. I'm considering gluing the "U" shaped resin piece with rubber cement (so it can be removed if needed) and using a clamp to get it close.

3. Wiring up the light kit isn't a problem but I bought a rumble motor for the thrower and I can't seem to find any room for it, even after cleaning up the wires bunching them together.

4. The ear light. Ugh, talk about tricky. Honestly there is no clean way to install this one into the thrower. Justin said you can screw into the side of the ear, run the wires through and epoxy the hole. But in my case I used a real hat light socket. So, for me drilling into the side of the ear did not make any sense to do. If you look closely at the screen used throwers the wires are even visible under the ear. In GB2 the throwers even had shrink heat wrapping to mask the wires. So I drilled my holes and even made the trigger one a bit too big. It still fit and with shrink heat no one will really know, except you. Shrink heat really hides the crimes (quoted by Adam Savage), but this leaves a problem. What about the white connector to the light kit?! How big of a hole do I drill for that?! Well, Parflagush confirmed something I didn't know if it was possible: removing the white connectors. Yes, it is possible but you have to be careful and remember where the wires go. I recommend using colored sharpies to label the wire on the white connector. I drilled a 5/32" hold where the fake weld and the grip meet and fed the three colored wires into the tube. it worked great and it's nice I didn't have to make large ungodly holes.

Other than that the kit still looks great, but maybe down the line I will upgrade to an aluminum thrower if I can afford it. More space in the gun body is one request I would have for Justin, but understand if it can't be done.

5. The Barrel Rod/Extension. I racked my brain trying to figure this one out and in the end I just couldn't. With the limited space inside the gun I don't see how a mechanism can even be built. And what I did come up with to keep the rod in a single position was quickly thrown out since it made contact with the bar graph. (The light kit could really use a long connector cable that what they give you).

Parts, Priming and Painting:

Assembling parts to the pack isn't hard at all. We've all seen photos and pretty much know where everything goes. I swapped by resin knobs for real aluminum ones because I think they look better. The only downside about these parts, as I'm sure with other kits, is the bolts. I find that the bolts reduced the room inside the body and at times screwing them in wasn't easy. OH MY GOD SCREWING THE 6-32 x 1" WAS TOOK FOREVER TO SCREW INTO PLACE. BE SURE TO SET ASIDE A GOOD HOUR+ TO GET THESE IN. THERE IS VERY LITTLE ROOM TO WORK WITH AND THIS IS ONE PART THE NEED SERIOUS IMPROVEMENT ON.

Once every hole was drilled, sanded and ready for painting I chose Rust-oluem 2x coverage paint. Grey Primer and Satin Black paint. Now it looks great but I am concerned about fading. One thing I've noticed in the last few day handling the thrower is the feel the grips get after I've held it for a while. Mostly how it feels tacky but no paint is coming off but it seems to be dulling already. It's important to note that this is skin on painted resin during what's turning out to be a very warm month for Massachusetts. Fading wouldn't be a bad thing since I wanted natural ware on the pack/thrower, but this is something that I don't see get mentioned in thread so I thought I would. Maybe a coat of clear coat will help.

One of benefits is that when scuffed it helps ware the pack.

Overall I am proud of what I was able to accomplish in the last month. Though it's not 100% perfect building one is an accomplishment in itself.

Any feedback/questions are very welcome.

Now back to solving this audio issue. :boogieman::angryvigo::vinzclortho:
By MovieSean
First of all THANK YOU this build has been SUPER helpful!

2nd that damn ear seems impossible lol (need to get some shrinkwrap!)

My firing switch fit with just me bending (and praying to gozer that they didnt break) the connections and a little elbow grease!

im waiting on my sponge face kit now so il post pics when im done!

My paint feels the same but I def painted mine when it was too cold out.

My unintentional wear and tear is not terrible but your nice clean version ROCKS.

Did you use the resin banjos for the tip?

How did you secure your trigger tip (idk if you are using resin or aluminum)

where in the gun did you attach the board i was going to put mine on the wall with the side disks, but then the clippard shelf light dosnt seem to reach!

Thanks for this awesome post and super helpful feedback this whole time man!!
Grimmy GB wrote:Looks great Chris! One question (or suggestion)...Are you thinking about opening up the bar graph hole to accept the bezel?
Not sure.
By Grimmy GB
csullivan1980 wrote:
Grimmy GB wrote:Looks great Chris! One question (or suggestion)...Are you thinking about opening up the bar graph hole to accept the bezel?
Not sure.
Nice thought process. :cool:
By csullivan1980
Okay so soldering the audio cable on was a bust. Still no sound. I am truly baffled what happened between yesterday and today.

UPDATE: it is not the speaker. I found a quick test by hooking it up to a 9V battery and the coil moves in/out.
By Hoot
Turn the system into standby mode (you should be able to tell by slo blo steady on) then press the button on the ear beside the hat light. It'll stay on when you fire up the system.
csullivan1980 wrote:Okay so soldering the audio cable on was a bust. Still no sound. I am truly baffled what happened between yesterday and today.
Plug the audio out from an iPod (or other MP3 player) into the AUX-IN. That should confirm if the amp is working or not. Set your volume to halfway first.
bishopdonmiguel wrote:
csullivan1980 wrote:Okay so soldering the audio cable on was a bust. Still no sound. I am truly baffled what happened between yesterday and today.
Plug the audio out from an iPod (or other MP3 player) into the AUX-IN. That should confirm if the amp is working or not. Set your volume to halfway first.
I've already done that with no luck sadly
Is this normal?

Just hooked up the master power switch as per the instructions. And only after a few minutes I notice the batteries (8AA) got pretty warm.
By pyhasanon
I am perplexed by this... hmmm... the fact that your batteries are running warm possibly means a pretty big current draw somewhere... which may possibly mean you have a short somewhere...
Sucks that the gbfans store has no return/exchange policy. I'm awaiting to hear back from Doug who made the sound board. Maybe a repair is what I need.

Figures I break it and not even realize it. Bummer.
Update on Sound Board Troubleshooting:

So after working with Spongeface/Doug through e-mails he came to the conclusion that something is definitely going on with the soundboard not sending audio out. All the tests he wanted me to perform with a DMM worked as they should and it looks like the board is going back to it s creator for a more in depth look. Like everyone else here Spongface/Doug has been AWESOME about helping troubleshoot the issue. :cool: It's a shame the board has to go back for now. :sigh:

It's worth mentioning that when my soundboard was delivered by USPS it looked this:

imag

I did reach out to AJ about it and to provide shipping feedback. Even though the box looked like an even bigger/heavier box was dropped on it he assured me the soundboard was "pretty tough". I guess not
By MovieSean
Hey man I wanted to show what wouldn't have happened without your awesome thread!!

Still need to do the ear but I can't find any damn heat shrink!

Thanks man!
Last edited by Kingpin on May 10th, 2015, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed forum stretching
MovieSean wrote:First of all THANK YOU this build has been SUPER helpful!

My firing switch fit with just me bending (and praying to gozer that they didnt break) the connections and a little elbow grease!

My unintentional wear and tear is not terrible but your nice clean version ROCKS.

where in the gun did you attach the board i was going to put mine on the wall with the side disks, but then the clippard shelf light dosnt seem to reach!

I used replica banjos from the gbfans store drilling/tapping the hole for the trigger tip was a one-shot deal. Thankfully I did it in one take. I used a 6-32 drill/tap set.

The trigger tip actually fits nice and snug on the wand. Advice is to paint it but line the inner circle with painters tap. I used heat resistance ace hardware brand aluminum paint. Looks real to me. Some minor sanding might be required. I recommend a 220 grit.
By MovieSean
csullivan1980 wrote:
MovieSean wrote:First of all THANK YOU this build has been SUPER helpful!

I used replica banjos from the gbfans store drilling/tapping the hole for the trigger tip was a one-shot deal. Thankfully I did it in one take. I used a 6-32 drill/tap set.

The trigger tip actually fits nice and snug on the wand. Advice is to paint it but line the inner circle with painters tap. I used heat resistance ace hardware brand aluminum paint. Looks real to me. Some minor sanding might be required. I recommend a 220 grit.

awesome i was thinking about getting the store ones too! im super nervous about the ear buttons for some reason!
By AJ Quick
I'm disappointed that I had to come find this thread to follow up with you. I came here to check and see if you had made any headway since you hadn't sent me any more PMs about it in the past few days.
csullivan1980 wrote:It's worth mentioning that when my soundboard was delivered by USPS it looked this:

I did reach out to AJ about it and to provide shipping feedback. Even though the box looked like an even bigger/heavier box was dropped on it
When you contacted me about the box being damaged this is what I said:
AJ Quick wrote:If anything is damaged, please let me know as soon as possible. The package had $50 insurance on it to protect in case of loss or damage. If you have damage you can file a claim here (or I can do it): https://www.usps.com/help/claims.htm

Let me know as soon as you can test them.
csullivan1980 wrote:Sucks that the gbfans store has no return/exchange policy.
I absolutely would have replaced the broken board and handled it with Doug myself if you had replied that it was broken. I also would have filed a claim / had you file a claim in regards to the damaged board with USPS. I didn't get anything beyond that in regards to filing a damage claim, because apparently the boards worked when you tested them.

Its a little different in your case because the damage (if any) was caused by USPS rather than it being a defective product... so we do have to go through them as well.

GBFans does have an exchange policy in the case of items being damaged or DOA.... or being sent the wrong item... etc. If its a mistake I made. I typically give the incorrect item for free or pay for shipping both ways. Just FYI.
csullivan1980 wrote:he assured me the soundboard was "pretty tough". I guess not
It sounds like from your other posts that you placed the board directly on to a metal surface while you were using it? That's enough to kill any electrical device, let alone the GBFans Boards.

Be honest with us, don't take it out on me or the Shop.
CPU64 liked this

I cut out the middleman and sprayed my pack and ba[…]

I'm hoping we'll see another set when the next F[…]

Hey, anyone else playing this game? I want to find[…]

GBFANS Ghostlabs light kit

When you say you only have the proton pack light k[…]